Spark

People in cars ignoring EUC riders right of way

Drivers see what they are looking for.  Usually, they are looking for other cars.  Sometimes they look for pedestrians and bikes.  They NEVER look for EUCs.

this.

they briefly look for cyclists and cars, they never look consciously for EUC riders.
I dare to believe wearing a full face helmet will somehow alert a car driver passing you by.
(like subconscious mind alerts the brain)

There is really nothing you can do if a car first overtakes you and then turns in your path except being much more visible to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Did you rip off his hood ornament and throw it at his window?

Nah, the driver didn't dare to leave the car (many angry witnesses shouting) and was probably as shocked as I was puzzled I had not a single bruise. :blink1:

Edited by Spark
  • Upvote 2

Fact of life.  Assume you are invisible and take all precautions!

• Upvote 2

One thing I do if a car is anywhere near where I am about to cross is slow way down and be sure the driver intends to let me pass. If the driver holds back while I'm holding back, I cross.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JimB said:

Make sure you're highly visible, especially at night.  I wear a flashing light band on my helmet, and a solid one across my back.  I don't care if people think I look dorky - light me up like a Christmas tree!

At night I wear a reflective safety vest, a headlamp, two white flashers on my front, a red flashing safety belt (large but not very bright) and a small but very bright red flasher on my rear.

When riding in daylight, I wear my safety vest.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

One thing I do if a car is anywhere near where I am about to cross is slow way down and be sure the driver intends to let me pass. If the driver holds back while I'm holding back, I cross.

Me too, but sometimes I make that arm motion that says, no, you go first.  That way, they don't get to watch me possibly lock up from stage fright.:wacko:

I don't know if I got that right, but it is the fear of other people watching you, I think.  :blink1:  Well,that begs the question, why do you ride a wheel?  It's fun, but a little strange to most people.  But it is kind of neat to be able to do something most people will never even attempt to do.  Which is why I am trying to learn backwards riding.  

I don't ride near cars if I can help it.  :whistling:  They weigh too much for me to live after getting run over by one.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JimB said:

Make sure you're highly visible, especially at night.  I wear a flashing light band on my helmet, and a solid one across my back.  I don't care if people think I look dorky - light me up like a Christmas tree!

I disagree, make sure you are invisible, and avoid cars!:roflmao:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I confess, I wave my arms sometimes when I REALLY need to be seen. 

I told a friend the other day, and I realized that this is actually true:  I am too much of a control freak to place my life in the hands of other people who I do not know.  By this, I mean the automobile drivers.  I am responsible for my own safety, and do not ever trust them with it. 

• Upvote 3

Wow...so glad your not hurt especially not having a helmet on!  :cheers:

Being you survived unscathed to tell your story a video of this idiot crossing into your path would have made the EUC highlight reel!  :popcorn: Then we all could have cussed at the bastard! :furious:

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Buy this http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-48-in-Reflective-Rod-Orange-848638/202051800 it works great, in my state cars by law must stay a meter away to pass you, of course they never do, especially if they never ride a bike, and just rude mean drivers. I stick it out to the straight to the side, they avoid it like the plague, if I let it fall to the side the cars are right on me again, even when I have/wear reflective tape and patches and flashing LEDs.... 

Waving it makes it seen better, and crossing intersection a wave it in front of me... You can make big ass circles for fun...

I swear all bikes should do this...A permanent rod sticking out to the side...

Edited by MetricUSA

On 4/22/2017 at 7:12 PM, dpong said:

I confess, I wave my arms sometimes when I REALLY need to be seen. 

I told a friend the other day, and I realized that this is actually true:  I am too much of a control freak to place my life in the hands of other people who I do not know.  By this, I mean the automobile drivers.  I am responsible for my own safety, and do not ever trust them with it. 

I totally agree with this. I wear bright orange gloves too so that if I signal a driver, hopefully he can see my hands better. 

• Upvote 1

Me too.  I always assume other drivers are idiots, distracted, or both, and I act accordingly.  It's infinitely better than assuming everybody's always got their ... stuff ... together.  They only have to slip once, after all.  

• Upvote 1

Nicky Hayden, former MotoGP champion, was hit (probably killed but his body just doesn't realize it yet) by a car.

Cars are incredibly dangerous to bicycles and EUC. I often end up on the sidewalk as I'm pretty sure sharing the road with cars will 100% result in a car eventually hitting you and even crossing the intersecton with a light in your favor.

I don't know a single bicyclist, including me, that hasn't eventually been hit by a car. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Even better, go down to the grocery store and get a coconut. Bang two halves together and they will think you are riding a horse.

Clop clop, clop clop.

On 5/18/2017 at 3:39 PM, LanghamP said:

Nicky Hayden, former MotoGP champion, was hit (probably killed but his body just doesn't realize it yet) by a car.

He died today from his injuries. Be careful out there, guys. Whether driving or riding.