People in cars ignoring EUC riders right of way

Spark

hey riders,
a few hours ago I flew right across a hood going approx 10-15kph on my wheel.
A car driver crossed the bicycle lane turning right into a shopping center without giving a second thought to me. :furious:
Luckily I wore almost full protection (no helmet!) and only my wrist guards got scratched.
The wheel came to a halt running into a hedge.

did you get in familiar situations?
I can only guess some inattentive drivers mistake EUC riders for pedestrians.

The accident happened in daylight, though for me this is the final wake up call to always wear my full face downhill
 helmet from now on. I might even order some extra lights for the helmet as well as one of those ugly
high visibility vests.

btw I was so stunned by the behaviour that I forgot to swear and claim a new pair of unscratched wrist guards.
Guess I got off cheaply today. (the car driver too)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always remember that right of way is given, not taken.  If you're a pedestrian, biker, or EUCer, if you get into a collision with a car, it doesn't matter who is at fault - YOU LOSE.

So I follow these rules:

• Make sure you're highly visible, especially at night.  I wear a flashing light band on my helmet, and a solid one across my back.  I don't care if people think I look dorky - light me up like a Christmas tree!
  • Always assume that a car doesn't see you.  Even if you have the right of way, don't pull in front of a car until you make eye contact with the driver!
  • Be careful on crosswalks.  Many drivers will roll over the crosswalk - be sure that the driver sees you.
  • Be careful of cars making right-hand turns - they are looking left.

Drivers see what they are looking for.  Usually, they are looking for other cars.  Sometimes they look for pedestrians and bikes.  They NEVER look for EUCs.

On a crosswalk, people are traveling slowly - drivers expect that.  They look a few feet left and right and think they are clear.  They are NOT expecting an EUC flying across at 20mph.

It's always better to be careful than to be a hood ornament (or worse).

Since you look very similar to a pedestrian on your wheel (especially at short glance when your speed is not apparent), people don't expect you to change your position so quickly. A driver who sees a bicycle for a short moment will consider it as possibly being in the way, while an apparent "pedestrian" is far away and can be ignored. And then, suddenly, that "pedestrian" is in front of the car unexpectedly. Does not even have to be inattention alone, they're just not used to that. They see nothing noteworthy.

Of course, many drivers just don't look (properly), underestimate your speed, or are just plain dumbasses. Ride a bike and the same can happen, probably nothing do do with EUCs.

Drivers see what they are looking for.  Usually, they are looking for other cars.  Sometimes they look for pedestrians and bikes.  They NEVER look for EUCs.

this.

they briefly look for cyclists and cars, they never look consciously for EUC riders.
I dare to believe wearing a full face helmet will somehow alert a car driver passing you by.
(like subconscious mind alerts the brain)

There is really nothing you can do if a car first overtakes you and then turns in your path except being much more visible to begin with.

Did you rip off his hood ornament and throw it at his window?

Nah, the driver didn't dare to leave the car (many angry witnesses shouting) and was probably as shocked as I was puzzled I had not a single bruise. :blink1:

Glad you weren't hurt.

go down the recycling center and pick up some handle bars from a discarded bicycle, then hold them out infront of you when you ride,p in the bike lane, Monty Python Holy Grail style.  Then you will look like a bike rider, because, technically the driver didn't see a bike rider in the bike path, just a guy who was moving faster than he realised. 

Edit. We are invisible. We look like pedestrians but we move as fast as cyclists.  Always be prepared to take avoidance manoeuvres.

3 hours ago, JimB said:

Make sure you're highly visible, especially at night.  I wear a flashing light band on my helmet, and a solid one across my back.  I don't care if people think I look dorky - light me up like a Christmas tree!

At night I wear a reflective safety vest, a headlamp, two white flashers on my front, a red flashing safety belt (large but not very bright) and a small but very bright red flasher on my rear.

When riding in daylight, I wear my safety vest.

9 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

One thing I do if a car is anywhere near where I am about to cross is slow way down and be sure the driver intends to let me pass. If the driver holds back while I'm holding back, I cross.

Me too, but sometimes I make that arm motion that says, no, you go first.  That way, they don't get to watch me possibly lock up from stage fright.:wacko:

I don't know if I got that right, but it is the fear of other people watching you, I think.  :blink1:  Well,that begs the question, why do you ride a wheel?  It's fun, but a little strange to most people.  But it is kind of neat to be able to do something most people will never even attempt to do.  Which is why I am trying to learn backwards riding.  

I don't ride near cars if I can help it.  :whistling:  They weigh too much for me to live after getting run over by one.

3 hours ago, JimB said:

Make sure you're highly visible, especially at night.  I wear a flashing light band on my helmet, and a solid one across my back.  I don't care if people think I look dorky - light me up like a Christmas tree!

I disagree, make sure you are invisible, and avoid cars!:roflmao:

7 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I disagree, make sure you are invisible, and avoid cars!:roflmao:

You need to be visible. No questions about that. YOu are not match for a car so you need to make sure they are ready for you otherwise yield to them.  I have been many times in pedestrian crossings approaching at walking speed and the stupid car wont stop. I think they are confused and dont know how to react. so I always assume I am going to have to yield and if the car aknkowledge my presence then I would continue. Its on each of us to survive. a car is no match so make sure that they know what you are doing. or Yield.

I confess, I wave my arms sometimes when I REALLY need to be seen. 

I told a friend the other day, and I realized that this is actually true:  I am too much of a control freak to place my life in the hands of other people who I do not know.  By this, I mean the automobile drivers.  I am responsible for my own safety, and do not ever trust them with it. 

Wow...so glad your not hurt especially not having a helmet on!  :cheers:

Being you survived unscathed to tell your story a video of this idiot crossing into your path would have made the EUC highlight reel!  :popcorn: Then we all could have cussed at the bastard! :furious:

Buy this http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-48-in-Reflective-Rod-Orange-848638/202051800 it works great, in my state cars by law must stay a meter away to pass you, of course they never do, especially if they never ride a bike, and just rude mean drivers. I stick it out to the straight to the side, they avoid it like the plague, if I let it fall to the side the cars are right on me again, even when I have/wear reflective tape and patches and flashing LEDs.... 

Waving it makes it seen better, and crossing intersection a wave it in front of me... You can make big ass circles for fun...

I swear all bikes should do this...A permanent rod sticking out to the side...

I wear high visibility colors when I'm riding in traffic or congested areas.   Looks a little goofy but it's an easy thing to do and raises my profile in traffic.

Or, if you want versatility, you could get one of these high-vis vests.  Then you can take it off when you don't need it and stow it in your backpack.  (If you get one, order larger than your normal size because they run small.)

Orange EUC wear.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 7:12 PM, dpong said:

I confess, I wave my arms sometimes when I REALLY need to be seen. 

I told a friend the other day, and I realized that this is actually true:  I am too much of a control freak to place my life in the hands of other people who I do not know.  By this, I mean the automobile drivers.  I am responsible for my own safety, and do not ever trust them with it. 

I totally agree with this. I wear bright orange gloves too so that if I signal a driver, hopefully he can see my hands better. 

Me too.  I always assume other drivers are idiots, distracted, or both, and I act accordingly.  It's infinitely better than assuming everybody's always got their ... stuff ... together.  They only have to slip once, after all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Nicky Hayden, former MotoGP champion, was hit (probably killed but his body just doesn't realize it yet) by a car.

Cars are incredibly dangerous to bicycles and EUC. I often end up on the sidewalk as I'm pretty sure sharing the road with cars will 100% result in a car eventually hitting you and even crossing the intersecton with a light in your favor.

I don't know a single bicyclist, including me, that hasn't eventually been hit by a car. 

On 4/22/2017 at 5:50 PM, Smoother said:

go down the recycling center and pick up some handle bars from a discarded bicycle, then hold them out infront of you when you ride,p in the bike lane, Monty Python Holy Grail style.

Even better, go down to the grocery store and get a coconut. Bang two halves together and they will think you are riding a horse.

On 5/18/2017 at 3:39 PM, LanghamP said:

Nicky Hayden, former MotoGP champion, was hit (probably killed but his body just doesn't realize it yet) by a car.

He died today from his injuries. Be careful out there, guys. Whether driving or riding.

Archived