Fixing Gotway Msuper V3 control board

EUCMania

Today, I was riding in light rain. I bumped my GW MSuper V3 at a curb at low speed. It stalled. Then it refused to balance. I opened it up and find that one mosfet is burnt, with pieces of plastic near the legs gone. I am weighing for the following choices:

1. Get a new control board. Pro: fast and easy. Con: cost about $170.

2. Buy a new mosfet to replace the burnt one. Pro. Cheap (<$4) and fun. Con: Have to figure out where to get this mosfet IRFB3207 I(O)RP625P 67EV, takes longer, and the board may have some other issues leading to the mosfet to blow up.

Please make some suggestions.

5 hours ago, EUCMania said:

I bumped my GW MSuper V3 at a curb at low speed. It stalled. Then it refused to balance. I opened it up and find that one mosfet is burnt

This is very disturbing. A low-speed bump into a curb should not burn a MOSFET! Is this another Gotway quality problem?

8 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

This is very disturbing. A low-speed bump into a curb should not burn a MOSFET! Is this another Gotway quality problem?

Those MOSFET should not been dieing like that. POssible explanation is the driving curcuit is such that is does not protect for surges. Another possibility is they put too much heat during soldering and damaged the MOSFET in a way that it is not capable of handling the current levels it was designed for but function normally under low loads. I am leaning towards overheating of the component during assembly. I just remember also, I notice very little or no ESD controls. I saw all the boards laying of the table and ESD will also weaken components causing premature failure.

I remember someone accidentally pushed the Msuper under a bench and the top was pressed down by the bench, and the EUC still want to go forward. Then the MOSFET blew up. Before, when I climb 20 degree incline, the MSuper3 handled it with ease. Maybe the rain gets into the case somewhere caused short circuit? I do not know. Anyway, I ordered a new control board from Speedyfeet UK. 

As for replacement MOSFET. I see that on ebay, someone is selling IRFB3207  I(o)RB619P. It is close to the  ....625P in their model number. I guess it can replace the MOSFET in GW control board. Will give it a try when I get time.

42 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

I remember someone accidentally pushed the Msuper under a bench and the top was pressed down by the bench, and the EUC still want to go forward. Then the MOSFET blew up. Before, when I climb 20 degree incline, the MSuper3 handled it with ease. Maybe the rain gets into the case somewhere caused short circuit? I do not know. Anyway, I ordered a new control board from Speedyfeet UK. 

As for replacement MOSFET. I see that on ebay, someone is selling IRFB3207  I(o)RB619P. It is close to the  ....625P in their model number. I guess it can replace the MOSFET in GW control board. Will give it a try when I get time.

make sure you look at the specs.  There is no such thing as close enough.

6 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Anyway, I ordered a new control board from Speedyfeet UK. 

Wise decision! Ian has fast service! You'll be riding in no time!

In one of Speedyfeet's first video test of a Gotway, i think it was the MSuper, Ian said that he fried the board by riding through deep sand.  After he replaced the board the wheel worked fine, but he recommended never to ride in deep sand because it will overload the board.

22 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Con: Have to figure out where to get this mosfet IRFB3207 I(O)RP625P 67EV, takes longer, and the board may have some other issues leading to the mosfet to blow up.

If you want to try that:   https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=IRFB3207

EDIT: Note that IRFB3207 and IRFB3207Z are not the same thing.

10 hours ago, steve454 said:

In one of Speedyfeet's first video test of a Gotway, i think it was the MSuper, Ian said that he fried the board by riding through deep sand.  After he replaced the board the wheel worked fine, but he recommended never to ride in deep sand because it will overload the board.

Been playing in deep sand for kilometers at a time with my Msuper V3 (first model, 820Wh/67V): didn't encounter any problem with the wheel (but I was pretty exhausted). A friend went along with his ACM without problems, too. We're both approx. 80kg.

Shouldn't the wheel just start the 80% beep and then shut down at 100%? Or does the power spike happen so fast that won't happen? Did a 6 mosfet version blow (did the msuperV3 ever come with 6?) or a 12 mfet one? Sand, anywhere else?

In short, how in the f*****g f**k does the wheel break instead of shut down?

33 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Shouldn't the wheel just start the 80% beep and then shut down at 100%? Or does the power spike happen so fast that won't happen? Did a 6 mosfet version blow (did the msuperV3 ever come with 6?) or a 12 mfet one? Sand, anywhere else?

In short, how in the f*****g f**k does the wheel break instead of shut down?

As long as the wheel is moving everything id ok...but if The wheel gets stuck in mud/sand or pressed against a wall or something, while still wanting to accelerate -and can not move a bit at all- is the worst case for every board, and makes the board fry on all brands....not only Gotway.

Has also nothing to do with 6/12 Mosfets. its just asking for full power when the wheel can not move on...instead that the mosfet "jumps" to the next switch...the amperage in that switch sequence spikes so high that the mosfets fry.

Dead for every wheel.......

Correction: some wheels have fuses for that situation!

I got same issue with mcm4 :) I changed 2 burned mosfets on the board.. everything was fine, until I pressed On button :) 
So, is something more here :( But off course you can try it as well .. Maybe with better luck

IMG_20170405_170550.jpg

Can you please put a picture of the board? If is something like this board https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4-30kmh-controller-board-with-bluetooth

I would say it can be the mosfet driving ICs that are turning always on the mosfets and burning them.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:41 AM, steve454 said:

looks that's what may have happened to this chap

14 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Can you please put a picture of the board? If is something like this board https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4-30kmh-controller-board-with-bluetooth

I would say it can be the mosfet driving ICs that are turning always on the mosfets and burning them.

If it was on me :) Yes, I can but later today.. Thank you :) 

On 4/24/2017 at 0:42 PM, kour said:

looks that's what may have happened to this chap

That looks a little strange, he only hit a small rise and the wheel died.  That looks like a poor quality board that even a little spike in power killed it.  To me that looks like a warranty repair, he was riding smoothly, not that fast, hit a small bump and poof!

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That looks a little strange, he only hit a small rise and the wheel died.  That looks like a poor quality board that even a little spike in power killed it.  To me that looks like a warranty repair, he was riding smoothly, not that fast, hit a small bump and poof!

agreed. that didnot looked like a stall issue. I dont see where the current spike could have occured.

2 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

agreed. that didnot looked like a stall issue. I dont see where the current spike could have occured.

Indeed, in my case I did not feel the MSuper tried very hard when the board burnt. What happened to my MSuper was that I bumped on curb by the pedal side twice in a rainy day. The second time, it turned to bump the curb in the front. Both happened at the walking speed. The EUC did not try hard to spin. Then the EUC did not balance. Turned the power off and on, still not working. Turned off and push, I feel the motor resistance. After 20 minutes, I turned on and the EUC shaked. Turn the motor off, the motor resistance is gone., still will not balance. I opened the EUC cover, I did not find water in the control board housisng. This is puzzling to me because the control board always worked fine when I climbed  20 degree inclines slowly.

Archived