A one year of usage review of the IPS Xima Lhotz 340wh

Xima Lhotz

Hello everyone.
This is a  one year of usage review of the Xima Lhotz 340wh.
I have the “old” version 30km/h 340wH and bought it for 1000EUR was only 1 place to get it (its now cheaper…)

Short version for people who don’t have time. 

Would i buy it again or recommend= No.
Images of faults below.

Longer version for people who have a little more time :)

The good
Its a tank (shell wise) and can take a beating.
The BMS+ control boars gives a great sense of security, it doesn’t shut off with low battery etc, it beeps+ tilt back and forces you to stop. 
The ride is fantastic both asphalt and trails, rocks and hills. It never hurts my feet.
A general sense of not cutting out.
I have riden this wheel in rain, snow, ice and summer without no problems. (i thought, see below)

The bad 
Letters came of the moment i removed the protective film. (i don’t want the text but some might want that.)
Not possible to set beeping on off och custom settings.
No tiltback settings.
App is OK, a bit slow and missing some features for me like the “new” version, engine power etc) I always use Kevins version and compared to new version of other apps it now feels very basic.

The ugly
Its marketed as a “tank / offroad” device with IP65 rating but this is not true.
My front and rear leds have rusted and eventually shorted the LED control board while removing dirt from the leds.
The inside of the wheel i covered in dust.
The battery pack broke (broken connection after vibrations) so that had to be repaired, when will the next connection brake? Bit of an trust issue...
No manual and explanation of all fault codes.
Stainless steel handle plates rusted, its not all stainless steel.
LED stripes broke side, front and rear.

Would i buy again?
Short answer, No.
With everyday riding in all types of conditions 1 year of usage is not fantastic and i expected more.
There are more powerful, higher wH fast wheels today and the reliability and quality on wheels like Inmotion V8 or ACM at almost the same prise is well worth it.

I would have bought again if it held to all the claims and if it had a bigger battery:
IP65, no dust + water entry in wheel and leds., 
Battery pack bracken due to vibrations!? its an offroad marketed device.
Homepage, manual and support seem “off” there is a feeling they will disappear.
340wH is to little for hills and “offroad”.

Upgrades:
I recently moved to a place on a hill and every time i went home (with full battery) the low voltage alarm went off so i had to stop and this resulted in a DIY battery upgrade +180wH total 520 wH and after that no more low voltage alarms and i can go for 30km in 4 degrees C at 20+km/h average speed so now the wheel is great range wise.
I can go 27+km/h up that same hill now.

For me this wheel in its standard configuration is to weak with 340wH battery and only because of that i wouldn’t  buy it again.
Add to that battery pack failure due to vibrations + other issues and the answer is clear.

Its been a great wheel to ride though before i lived on a hill (and after battery updates living on a hill) for almost a year coming from X8 but today the choice would be different.

If IPS would build a wheel with updates that would fit my needs and with updates addressing all my concerns and faults i would buy IPS again solely because of the fantastic BMS+firmware+engine+ride combo that gives great trust.

Images below:

Have a good weekend!

Image of back led with dust inside.
58f9efe7454e2_1dirt.thumb.JPG.bb8ec0fbf31381e299f7d9c0d045f12b.JPG
Image inside the light.
58f9efe86c63d_2Ledcover.thumb.JPG.e1d76b096fdf22af40cd1a304a238ba9.JPG
58f9efe9a5d11_3Ledstripe.thumb.JPG.ade1bbb66577064dace33f04753390fa.JPG

Rusted led chip.
58f9efeaf417f_4Rustedleds.thumb.JPG.e778bf936f5c5cd98e8d938429dea6f3.JPG

Backside of led stripe.
58f9efec35ccf_5Brokenledstripes.thumb.JPG.47b9ed0a444416da5a50f992da3f9407.JPG

Broken LED board control.
58f9efed5fe1b_6Brokencontrolboard.thumb.JPG.676c727c4de2479af84591d146596dff.JPG

Design flaw..
58f9efeeaf0a6_7Designflaw.thumb.JPG.e53ea3c9056ad352decac70626096ab7.JPG

Broke LED stripes side.
58f9efefd56dd_8Ledsbroken.thumb.JPG.633ebb452bdbb842eb1adc4ec2ad52ff.JPG

Rusted handle.
58f9f0b04fe18_9Rustedhadle.thumb.JPG.ff85c00250079ceae4ca50381bb3f50c.JPG

Battery repair.
58f9eff2685e0_10Batteryopen.thumb.JPG.a900c2721ac2bda3f79e75e7fe1d3104.JPG

Broken connection in battery pack.
58f9eff39a058_11Brokenbatteryconnection.thumb.JPG.48f09f9e4c61fc1345229159dbd3dcc0.JPG

Repaired battery pack. 
I had to tape the pack tighter as there was a lot of "flex" between the different areas of the pack, this resulted in the broken connection.
58f9eff4d70e1_12Batteryfixed.thumb.JPG.c0426bd888ade6cfde13bc2814bf6b23.JPG

1 hour ago, Xima Lhotz said:

I have the “old” version 30km/h 340wH and bought it for 1000EUR was only 1 place to get it (its now cheaper…)

Sorry, can you help me out and tell me what the "new" Version is and what are the differences?

The ugly

The inside of the wheel i covered in dust.
The battery pack broke (broken connection after vibrations) so that had to be repaired, when will the next connection brake? Bit of an trust issue...

Add to that battery pack failure due to vibrations

I dont know..isnt the Lhotz  marketed as IP65 waterproof, while it is not a bit dustproof at least? :-)

To the Batterie design:

That's what i said again and again, this System with dozen of cables leading to a Mother-board with integrated BMS is totally outdated and error-prone! And thats not just my feelings, it's confirmed by a Workshop for EUC's

To sell that design as an "waterproof" board System and as an Advantage  is ....hmmmh...questionable at least!

Would i buy again?
Short answer, No.
With everyday riding in all types of conditions 1 year of usage is not fantastic and i expected more.
There are more powerful, higher wH fast wheels today and the reliability and quality on wheels like Inmotion V8 or ACM at almost the same prise is well worth it.

Yip...nowadays the arguments for buying a Lhotz disappear more and more....

Homepage, manual and support seem “off” there is a feeling they will they disappear.

you are not alone with that Feeling :-)

On 4/21/2017 at 3:34 PM, KingSong69 said:

Sorry, can you help me out and tell me what the "new" Version is and what are the differences?

Its with the old control board that doesn't work with iamips app. It also doesn't have RGB led function, but it does have RGB leds installed. 

I dont know..isnt the Lhotz  marketed as IP65 waterproof, while it is not a bit dustproof at least? :-)

Yes, thats the reason i bought it, i wanted to be able to ride in any condition.

IP class 65 is (from wikipedia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code :

6 = Dust tight, No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow

5 = Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Its nowhere close to this spec.

To the Batterie design:

That's what i said again and again, this System with dozen of cables leading to a Mother-board with integrated BMS is totally outdated and error-prone! And thats not just my feelings, it's confirmed by a Workshop for EUC's

Yes, these devices shake a lot (every small bump or stone) so it really needs to be well designed with very solid battery packs.

To sell that design as an "waterproof" board System and as an Advantage  is ....hmmmh...questionable at least!

Its complete false advertising and is nowhere close to true. Really bad.

Buying it with this as one of the main reasons gives me a bigger feeling of non satisfaction with IPS. (maybe bigger then if you just bought it not knowing / wanting IP rating).

Yip...nowadays the arguments for buying a Lhotz disappear more and more....

you are not alone with that Feeling :-)

Really basic things, too bad IPS doesn't recognise this. 

On 4/21/2017 at 9:34 AM, KingSong69 said:

Homepage, manual and support seem “off” there is a feeling they will they disappear.

According to rayna903,

Our official website is  http://www.iamips.com/

Please contact us if you have any problems:

runrui.meng@iamips.com

bess@iamips.com

yueyue.wang@iamips.com

The silence of all of these individuals and the absence of the IPS website seems to indicate IPS is dead.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:34 AM, KingSong69 said:

I dont know..isnt the Lhotz  marketed as IP65 waterproof, while it is not a bit dustproof at least?

The IP65 rating refers to the sealed electronics, not the entire wheel shell, as shown in this image from IPS Singapore.

IPSSealedElectronics.jpg

20 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

The silence of all of these individuals and the absence of the IPS website seems to indicate IPS is dead.

Yes, the homepage have been dead for some time now.

20 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

The IP65 rating refers to the sealed electronics, not the entire wheel shell, as shown in this image from IPS Singapore.

IPSSealedElectronics.jpg

Yes clearly IP65 as the totally white open connector(s) from the control box can handle water. I bet that red and black wire is + and - with some type of voltage.

Its like having a IP65 rated glovebox in you car but the doors doesn't have windows and saying, "This car is IP65 rated" with a strait face.

I understand where they are going here, but its really bad, and this isn't listed on the official IPS page, its listed on a distributor page.

Official IPS store, wheel listed as IP65 device, not the control box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LY94P8F?m=A1RO1TBXM3SGUD&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

On 21.4.2017 at 3:34 PM, KingSong69 said:

As OP stated, the newer (post IPS Zero) version has an all in one controller. The older version has the sealed aluminium controlbox which contains the motor controller/gyro assembly and the BMS, the LED controllers and Bluetooth board are seperate PCBs, which are not further enclosed and thus not protected.  Furthermore, the newer version only has 3 LEDs in the front and back, but they change color according to direction of travel (front white rear red). Last but not least, they have different ballancing algorythms. The older one has a little firmer respose, but it has a distinct swaying front and back. So if you accelerate, you get a thight response, but as you continue to lean forward, the pedals start slightly to dip a bit, while still responding tight. Then, when you stop leaning, the pedals slowly rise again. You get accustomed to that beheaviour really quick, it's not a bad thing, just something the wheel does. The newer verion of the Lhotz is more neutral, but a littel less firm in pedal response, quite similar to the IPS Zero... (it just happens that I could ride my new Lhotz, the old Lhotz and a Zero back to back last weekend). Additionally it uses the same app as the Zero, which I think is sufficient, but could be better. Tiltback can be set at 12, 20, 25 and 30 kph, but this should also be possible with the older version? Speed alarm beepings are not customizeable in any version (1Hz beeping at 23, 4 Hz at 26, cont. beep at 29 kph)

On 21.4.2017 at 1:48 PM, Xima Lhotz said:

Rusted handle.

Got that on mine after a few months... See here:

Design flaw..

Probably better to close those holes...

Image of back led with dust inside.

The newer generation LED housings are proved better against dust and water ingress

Maybe @Volker Behrends wants to contribute to this matter, he had his own battery shenanigans with Lhotz, losing all bluetooth and LED functionality as a consequence... I just hope my battery will hold up. I am currently thinking about using velcro tape to fasten the battery over the full contact area with the inner shell. That should reduce the stress on the battery quite a bit.

As for the EUC market in Europe, I think the IPS wheels are still a decent coice, as they are the cheapest units available that can be considered fit for commuting. Right now, the lhotz comes at $700 shipped and taxed, that make around 670€. One alternative would be a 9bot1E+, and that's already ~€250 more to pay for, while not comming near the performance of the Lhotz. The better alternative would be the Gotway MCM4 340Wh at $800. But anyone should consider for himself if he can cope with the whistling of the Gotways. Thats IMHO another point for the IPS wheels in general, they run really quiet. If you want that, all Gotways, KingSongs and RockWheels are out of bussiness anyways, so only 9bot and InMotion left, which are quite a bit more expensive.

On 23.4.2017 at 6:09 PM, MaxLinux said:

Just had contact with yueyue some weeks ago and succesfully ordered a new outer shell for my Lhotz. I wouldn't call them dead, there is still some hope that they might come out with a new wheel in the future? I would absolutly appreciate it. They got the most important things of EUCs down quite well, just some minor annoyances to fix and the wheels should be ready for market in the next generation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

this is my first post here. I'm moderately new to EU's. So far I've had the Airwheel X3 and the Zero 340.

So

On 24.04.2017 at 8:57 PM, Slaughthammer said:

Tiltback can be set at 12, 20, 25 and 30 kph

You mean the max speed, right? Because these are the values of max speed that can be set in my Zero.

I would love to see more of these " 1 year later " reviews on as many different models of EUC as possible but more notably the msuper v3 which i own myself. 

A lot of people deside which EUC to get from the " first impression " kind of reviews which is fine as it'll give you an idea as to what you get when you open the box. But for people like me where an EUC is neither a hobby nor a toy but a primary means of transportation it's almost imperative to know what kind of performance (or lack thereof) you can expect 1 year down the line. 

I know i ride my EUC a lot more than is considered normal. I've had it for almost a month and have gone beyond 500km. I'd say i approximately ride 18-20km in one day. 

And having a different riding style and average speeds (than the reviewer) might mean that a 1 year later review is not 100% applicable to everyone but it's very good for finding potential life threatening errors/flaw/defects. It allows for people to take preventative measures so that these errors/flaw/defects might be completely fixed before they become a pressing issue. 

• 11 months later...

So repair xima lhotz bt led board is possible. In smoke-resistors situations(that we have ).

Repair qualifing level 7..

Need to fix 2 resistors (100ohm 0.25 watt )

And step voltage Wide V-in Step-Down Regulator ( 20 pin chip in center of board)

its lm5576( not lm5576q,simple lm5576)

So we just test it after repair.... all ok.. voltage in 9-12 volts output to led.

one only thing is not easy.. chip is almost clued in our board, then it took some time to clear the place for it.

but all ok.

ximo1.jpg

ximo2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently sold my Lhotz as the battery wasn't big enough as my trips got longer and my wheel collection expanded, but i have to say i was very pleased with IPS's after sales service. I managed to kill mine destroying both the battery pack and the main board. Yueyue and Runrui were very patient in guiding me through the process of testing the various things to find out what was wrong and then sending me the bits i needed. They didn't charge me for the  board even though it was out of warranty. 

Archived