Southern California - Cogswell Dam for 22Apr2017

Marty Backe

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like a good story (sorry Marty). So there was an actual fall (sounded like maybe just exhaustion or a broken wheel). Looking forward to the "California Mountain Drama" thread. @Ando Melkonyan Don't forget to post your part there too.

Was it really that dangerous, couldn't you just have walked back in the worst case (well, except Marty probably)?

Haha!

--

Not to preempt the other thread, but: @Marty Backe, don't forget to tell us what your wife currently thinks of your wheeling;) Until then, get better:thumbup: The worst should be over now...

Walking down for 20 miles with a few hours of daylight left was not an option. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like a good story (sorry Marty). So there was an actual fall (sounded like maybe just exhaustion or a broken wheel). Looking forward to the "California Mountain Drama" thread. @Ando Melkonyan Don't forget to post your part there too.

Was it really that dangerous, couldn't you just have walked back in the worst case (well, except Marty probably)?

Haha!

--

Not to preempt the other thread, but: @Marty Backe, don't forget to tell us what your wife currently thinks of your wheeling;) Until then, get better:thumbup: The worst should be over now...

Oh, there were multiple falls. My Monster has a few more battle scares. One faceplant (not literally) and two where I fell on my butt, hard.

My wife would rather I not take any more off-grid trips, which at this point I'm in agreement with her. If it's more than a couple miles to civilization (cell phone, road, etc.) I'm not doing it. In this case we were 15 miles from anywhere, in rough terrain.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, there were multiple falls. My Monster has a few more battle scares. One faceplant (not literally) and two where I fell on my butt, hard.

My wife would rather I not take any more off-grid trips, which at this point I'm in agreement with her. If it's more than a couple miles to civilization (cell phone, road, etc.) I'm not doing it. In this case we were 15 miles from anywhere, in rough terrain.

We will ride Cogswell again.But the next time we will be a little more prepared.(1) I'm going start bringing a 2 meter ham radio.Although much of the Angelus area we were in is devoid of cell service,Mt Wilson is on top of a ridge that overlooks the whole area and is covered with repeaters and antennas.If I had brought along a 2M radio with me yesterday,I could have called it in right from where @Marty Backe became too pooped to roll on; right near the stream crossing in the bottom of the canyon,thus saving myself the ordeal of traversing another 35miles of travel out of the forrest area and down Hwy 2 into the La Canada area to find cell service,not to mention what @Ando Melkonyan had to travel in the other direction. (2) Have better mapping,including pre printed maps and current trail conditions.The trail we were on is known has the Rincon shortcut route and is commonly run by 4x4er's etc. (3) More H2O.(NO BRAINER). (4) No Monsters.Only approved hill climbing wheels such as the ACM or the "world famous ACM2040TM ".

OH MY GOD.  :shock2:   I never would have expected an EUC ride would turn into a search and rescue helicopter ride!

Glad to hear you are okay Marty.  Great job on the ACM rescue efforts.  I wonder whether a satellite phone would have come in handy.  So was it a case of going down rough terrain and trying to get back up out of it was too much for the Monster?  I would have thought those GPS tracking apps might help guide you back out.  Did you guys just get lost accidentally?

Post up the video!

51 minutes ago, jrkline said:

We will ride Cogswell again.But the next time we will be a little more prepared.(1) I'm going start bringing a 2 meter ham radio.Although much of the Angelus area we were in is devoid of cell service,Mt Wilson is on top of a ridge that overlooks the whole area and is covered with repeaters and antennas.If I had brought along a 2M radio with me yesterday,I could have called it in right from where @Marty Backe became too pooped to roll on; right near the stream crossing in the bottom of the canyon,thus saving myself the ordeal of traversing another 35miles of travel out of the forrest area and down Hwy 2 into the La Canada area to find cell service,not to mention what @Ando Melkonyan had to travel in the other direction. (2) Have better mapping,including pre printed maps and current trail conditions.The trail we were on is known has the Rincon shortcut route and is commonly run by 4x4er's etc. (3) More H2O.(NO BRAINER). (4) No Monsters.Only approved hill climbing wheels such as the ACM or the "world famous ACM2040TM ".

I'll stay on the north side of the ridge. 

Allen

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

OH MY GOD.  :shock2:   I never would have expected an EUC ride would turn into a search and rescue helicopter ride!

Glad to hear you are okay Marty.  Great job on the ACM rescue efforts.  I wonder whether a satellite phone would have come in handy.  So was it a case of going down rough terrain and trying to get back up out of it was too much for the Monster?  I would have thought those GPS tracking apps might help guide you back out.  Did you guys just get lost accidentally?

Post up the video!

A satellite phone would have been handy, but those are extremely expensive. One of my 2 meter Ham radios would have done the same thing so that is why the next time I go in an area like that I'm going to have one with me.The difficulty we encountered was not so much the terrain itself, but the fact that the trail was frequently blocked by rock slides and broken trees blocking the trail in numerous areas due to the recent rain which is very abnormal in Southern California. Had the trails been clear, I don't think @Marty Backe would have had such a big problem getting back out under his own power.

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

I'll stay on the north side of the ridge. 

Allen

Having never been in this area before I can't really say what happened. But it did seem like we did not follow the route that @Marty Backe had intended. I'm not even sure what the north side of the ridge is. All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good experience. Nobody got hurt and we learned what we would need to do better next time to avoid this situation.:cheers:

15 hours ago, jrkline said:

Having never been in this area before I can't really say what happened. But it did seem like we did not follow the route that @Marty Backe had intended. I'm not even sure what the north side of the ridge is. All in all, it turned out to be a pretty good experience. Nobody got hurt and we learned what we would need to do better next time to avoid this situation.:cheers:

I bet that extra Gatorade that I had came in handy.

:)

Allen

5 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Allen

Yes, I think Jeff is very grateful that you gave him that. I pray to God that he brings water on his future rides ;)

On 4/23/2017 at 2:00 AM, Marty Backe said:

I'll post a 'story' tomorrow (Sunday) that explains the madness that happened to me. Jeff has a good story to tell too, and your's sounds great too. I can't wait to hear the full story of what happened to you.

This was an EUC ride for the ages that fortunately now we'll all be able to laugh about in the future.

Looking forward to your story. 

I've got mixed feelings about missing the adventure.  I would have probably been on a Monster too.  ?

26 minutes ago, captainwells said:

Looking forward to your story. 

I've got mixed feelings about missing the adventure.  I would have probably been on a Monster too.  ?

You would have been OK, but still sunk by the same anchor (me). For future rides like this I'm not going to encourage anyone to join us unless they have the entire day free. It's too unpredictable where things can lead. Those who want some adventure can join for the fun :)

At least now I know that there are least two fellow riders ( @jrkline and @Ando Melkonyan ) with the stamina to take on anything. And they now certainly have an appreciation for what their minds, bodies, and wheels can take :thumbup:

I have a couple of modifications that I'm going to make to my Monster that should preclude something like this from happening again. Those will eventually be shown in a new thread, if successful.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You would have been OK, but still sunk by the same anchor (me). For future rides like this I'm not going to encourage anyone to join us unless they have the entire day free. It's too unpredictable where things can lead. Those who want some adventure can join for the fun :)

At least now I know that there are least two fellow riders ( @jrkline and @Ando Melkonyan ) with the stamina to take on anything. And they now certainly have an appreciation for what their minds, bodies, and wheels can take :thumbup:

I have a couple of modifications that I'm going to make to my Monster that should preclude something like this from happening again. Those will eventually be shown in a new thread, if successful.

You are going to add ?

- helicopter capabilities?

- install water bags inside with dispenser?

- hand crank generator to charge?

lol. 

1 minute ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

You are going to add ?

- helicopter capabilities?

- install water bags inside with dispenser?

- hand crank generator to charge?

lol. 

:D

In short:

• Hill Climbing LeveratorTM
  • Trolley handle 

2 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

- mini winch using para cord on the reel!

You'll understand if you read my story of the day (I'm working on it). Although Hill Climbing LeveratorTM sounds funny, I'm totally serious.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Why even bother modding a monster when the ACM is such a better wheel at hill climbing? If Cogswell 4/22 demonstrated anything,it was the prowess of the ACM's hill climbing abilities.No other wheel to date can match it with the possible exception of the new rockwheel,and it has yet to be tested in "battlefield conditions".Sure,the Monster can traverse hills,but it makes you work much harder or "cheat" like @Ando Melkonyanwas doing.You became an "anchor" because you were riding one!;)Then again,maybe you're just being fecitious about monster mods?:unsure:

7 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Allen

touche.

3 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Why even bother modding a monster when the ACM is such a better wheel at hill climbing? If Cogswell 4/22 demonstrated anything,it was the prowess of the ACM's hill climbing abilities.No other wheel to date can match it with the possible exception of the new rockwheel,and it has yet to be tested in "battlefield conditions".Sure,the Monster can traverse hills,but it makes you work much harder or "cheat" like @Ando Melkonyanwas doing.You became an "anchor" because you were riding one!;)Then again,maybe you're just being fecitious about monster mods?:unsure:

touche.

That's like saying "why bother to continue adding batteries to your ACM". You of all people should not pooh-pooh wheel mods ;)

I did get a sense of the power within the Monster if it can be harnessed without stressing the body attached to it. So I'm going to modify it and see if it can become an ACM killer for raw hill climbing power (not agility, etc.). It may not work, but I'll be testing it at Griffith Park to find out. All doubters are welcome to witness my triumph first hand if desired :D

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's like saying "why bother to continue adding batteries to your ACM". You of all people should not pooh-pooh wheel mods ;)

I did get a sense of the power within the Monster if it can be harnessed without stressing the body attached to it. So I'm going to modify it and see if it can become an ACM killer for raw hill climbing power (not agility, etc.). It may not work, but I'll be testing it at Griffith Park to find out. All doubters are welcome to witness my triumph first hand if desired :D

Mods are great if you have a need.But you already have the ultimate hill climbing 84v ACM.So why mod the Monster when it has it's own uniqueness,speed and range?Unless you can figure a way to give the Monster more torque without sacrificing top end speed,then it would seem to make sense?:o

21 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Mods are great if you have a need.But you already have the ultimate hill climbing 84v ACM.So why mod the Monster when it has it's own uniqueness,speed and range?Unless you can figure a way to give the Monster more torque without sacrificing top end speed,then it would seem to make sense?:o

Wait and see, wait and see.

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

26 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Hmmmmmm.......

This mod may be very interesting. 

1 minute ago, abinder3 said:

Hmmmmmm.......

This mod may be very interesting. 

I hope it's not going with a smaller wheel size,because that would take the Monster out of the Monster.I get the feeling it might be an @Ando Melkonyan trick mod?:rolleyes:

• 11 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 12:38 PM, Ando Melkonyan said:

https://www.amazon.com/16x2-125-Inner-Tube-Tire-Electric/dp/B00CCJM4HE/ref=pd_sbs_468_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CCJM4HE&pd_rd_r=0JBZTDZJTZZ49SDV1PBQ&pd_rd_w=rcor1&pd_rd_wg=iJHa3&psc=1&refRID=0JBZTDZJTZZ49SDV1PBQ

The inner tube didn't work because the valve was not bent the right way but i just used the original tube that was on the ACM and so far so good.

Also, not sure how you're gonna cut out the inside plastic parts but i used my dental lab handpiece with a 1" diamond coated disk :D   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Dental-Lab-Electric-Polishing-Micromotor-N3-35K-RPM-Motor-Handpiece-/400904118090?hash=item5d57bf5f4a:g:lA8AAOSwuxFYs9fX

Something like this ^^^

Enjoy

@Shad0z here is the amazon link for the tire.  This is from one year and one day ago, but the link seems to be good.

Also the tool used to grind the shell.

46 minutes ago, steve454 said:

@Shad0z here is the amazon link for the tire.  This is from one year and one day ago, but the link seems to be good.

Also the tool used to grind the shell.

hmm so i need to grind the shell :I 

well. it should not be a problem

and the link is to a 2.125 tire :I

Archived