Anyone go from MiniPro to EUC? My experience with both

RooEUC

42 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

I am not sure what exactly y'all are talking about but If it is in reference to the shove-it while rolling...it can only be done up to a certain speed, science dictates that the momentum/speed will be decreased almost instantly due to the rubber tires (even on ice...I tried) Also the wheel is just too heavy to get off the ground while it does the 180° spin like on a skateboard. 

However if I am off base and you mean 180° body varial aka Hop 180° reverse landing or a 180° hop reverse landing, well, you can do those at almost any speed. Btw I have never gotten the over power warning during such tricks, only on slopes.

I believe you can find the reference to all of 'em in this video.

Yeah, that must be the video I saw, after watching again, I had forgotten how many tricks you had invented.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, steve454 said:

Yeah, that must be the video I saw, after watching again, I had forgotten how many tricks you had invented.

Thanx for the recognition @steve454...my ego could use it right about now. :whistling:Hehe. There is always something new on my drawing board and the landings are immanent. I just wish someone like @Jonathan Tolhurst lived near me, then we wouldn't have to make our tricks up alone. :smartass: It's like I am stranded on an island with only my EU and the islands inhabitants are clapping for my tricks :clap3:...but they have no idea what I'm doing...they just know there is the possibility that I could fall and hurt myself. Lol. Those damn walkers are everywhere and they want blood! 

On 4/21/2017 at 1:59 PM, KingSong69 said:

does anyone walk their dog with an EUC?

My dog Smokey loves it + he gets longer walks and more exercise. The fun part is trying not to ever put your foot down while he stops at every tree.

3 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

My dog Smokey loves it + he gets longer walks and more exercise. The fun part is trying not to ever put your foot down while he stops at every tree.

But if he pulls hard on his leash when you're riding he will pull you off, right?

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No offense but... why no better wheel? Pretty much everyone seems to agree Inmotion is the better Ninebot. Are the Ninebots significantly cheaper?

I got a used one to learn on for a good price. Also there are no Inmotion sellers in Canada.

6 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Have  you tried it yet? You're gonna love it, Roo. 

I've put my first 2 1/2 hours on it and I can stay on it and ride around a car park without falling, indefinitely. It's painful getting on though and it doesn't stop anywhere near as fast as the MiniPro, unless I'm just not brave enough to lean back dramatically.

For the first hour I thought I was never going to get the hang of it. By 90 minutes I considered selling it. And after 2 hours I was like "weeeeeee, look at meeeeee, weeeeeeee!" and loving every minute.

At this stage I enjoy the MiniPro so much more though. It's stable and safe and there's never any pain.  I'm guessing I'll gain much more control over the next few sessions and that's when I'll really feel good on the E+. Right turns are getting good. Left turns are harder.  Right now I'm not safe to be let out on the roads. I might post a video of my first session and see if you chaps can give me some pointers. 

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Sounds about right. You get that carbon Canadian one?

Yeah, for 625 CAD and the seller was the nicest, most enthusiastic guy you could ever meet. 

It was more scratched up in person as the photo was an old photo but it's exactly what I wanted to learn on. That handle design though, what a bad design choice. I had a minor jump off and it snapped right off. Looking at how little aliminium was holding it on I'm amazed it passed as a finished handle design. Now carrying it easily (one of the main reasons I went from MiniPro to EUC) is a no go hahaha.

Yeah it's a 16 inch. The motor feels really nice. I have no other EUC experience to compare it to but cruising along the road at just under top speed feels great. Super quiet, fast enough for my taste and it handles bumps well.  With the carry handle being gone now it's super awkward to lift. I will have to figure out some other type of handle mod or strap. 

I have almost 3 hours of EUC experience now and I'm riding on country roads comfortably. Left turns are still a bit anxious but I'm getting there. The ankles are bruised. I thought the One E+ ankle pads looked soft in videos but really they are hard plastic with a thin covering and are really painful after a few hours. I read that this pain goes away with experience.

Getting back on the MiniPro feels like heaven after a few hours riding the EUC. With the MiniPro 25kph top speed hack being a reality now I may end up sticking with that. Right now I can't shake the feeling that EUCs are not for me. I see more limitations in them now than before.  But I will give it more time. 

After a few more days you'll learn how to finesse it in a way that no longer hurts. It's a knack that has to be gotten, but once you do it just doesn't hurt. You will see soon.  The Euc eventually just sorta floats between your legs eventually without making any real hard contact. It took me a week or two to go all around town, but now in my third week I'm doing 10 and 15 mile rides and feeling good. 

I am itching to ride it to work soon when the weather gets nicer. It's 8-9 miles, but that isn't shit for my wonderwheel. 

It's hard to describe. Even though the EUC causes for more pain than the Mini Pro, it also causes much more joy. 

The mini is like smoking joints and the EUC is like doing dabs :D

4 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

After a few more days you'll learn how to finesse it in a way that no longer hurts. It's a knack that has to be gotten, but once you do it just doesn't hurt. You will see soon.  The Euc eventually just sorta floats between your legs eventually without making any real hard contact. It took me a week or two to go all around town, but now in my third week I'm doing 10 and 15 mile rides and feeling good. 

I am itching to ride it to work soon when the weather gets nicer. It's 8-9 miles, but that isn't shit for my wonderwheel. 

It's hard to describe. Even though the EUC causes for more pain than the Mini Pro, it also causes much more joy. 

The mini is like smoking joints and the EUC is like doing dabs :D

Thanks for the encouragement. I love this forum. I hope to get to that happy euc place before I get to the "well that was an interesting experience, now who wants an E+?" place. 

Dude! It's hard the first few days! It makes you wonder if you made a mistake. Maybe you just aren't in control of life anymore. Why would you pay this much for all of this pain? 

But once you get it figured out, oh man, you'll feel sorry for neglecting mini. It happens slow but it is heart wrenching :D

ETA - This is my three week mark video, rolling my janky ghetto handle :D

No Kasenutty leg insides were hurt during the making of this video. 

On 17.4.2017 at 9:42 PM, RooMiniPro said:

I enjoy the Mini Pro and it can take me to a lot more places on a lot more types of terrain than my electric skateboards.  But some pathways can be incredibly difficult or bumpy to ride on and I end up not going much faster than walking speed.  Forrest trails are very hard work with the tree roots and uneven surface.  And loose gravel can be challenging too.  An example of a loose gravel path I rode along recently is attached.  This was a slow crawl on the MiniPro and I almost got off and walked.  Do unicycles handle terrain like this much more easily because you only have to deal with vertical bumping rather than also having to handle side to side bumping because of being on two wheels?  There are some scenarios which I feel the MiniPro is actually much better equipped to handle than unicycles, such as walking/running my dog.  When my dog pulls me sideways, it does not change my direction or pull me off, because being on two side-by-side wheels I have a lot of horizontal stability and it's very safe.  I don't know if I will be able to walk my dog at all on a unicycle and that is one of the main things I use these vehicles for.  But I think the unicycle will be able to ride through forest trails much more easily.  As for gravel paths, I don't know.

So what I'm asking is if anyone who has owned both can give me some pros and cons of moving from two wheels to one and which you feel is ultimately better?

You already mentioned the pros and cons quite well.

I can only tell my opinion, others will feel different. 

Ninebot themselves are accountable for that I'm riding an EUC now since more than 9 months (and became an addict) and sold my Mini Pro because of that (because I never used it again).

I got my MiniPro with FW 1.7, and after the diverse software upgrades I was rather disappointed about the device, but I don't want to bore you with the details. Additionally after less than a week I felt it is much too slow for me, I hated it when it configured back the maxspeed to 14 km/h or something when battery was 50% full, I can run for one hour with the same speed.  When I had a flat tire on the MiniPro, the shop who ordered the spare tire lent me a Kingsong KS16 for a few days, and the rest is history.

Although I had a hard time learning it for a few days, I knew that it is exactly what I was waiting for.  I bought a KS16, and only rode once again with the repaired MiniPro, just to recognize for sure, that it is not the vehicle I want. Then I sold it.

Now to the points:

• The EUC can be driven on any type of terrain the same way, it is safe and fast everywhere.  The MiniPro has more problems with bumps and holes, and if it is slippery under only one wheel, it will throw you off.
  • It needs care if you cross with the MiniPro sideward on an inclined surface. Even if you don't touch the kneesteering, the MiniPro tends to drive upward, and needs to be slightly corrected, which becomes more and more difficult the steeper the slope is. With the EUC you don't even need to think about that, you just cross any slope with high or slow speed without the fear to make a mistake.
  • On trails and gravelroads the EUC is just unbeatable. It is a lot more stable, and one can ride trails which are just impossible with the MiniPro, because they are to narrow or to bumpy.
  • The MiniPro is slow and has a low range. With my KS16 I can cross the whole city of Vienna from east to west and back, and I am faster than most bicycles.
  • It's a lot easier to transport my EUC than the MiniPro in trams, undergrounds and cars.
  • The only scenario where the MiniPro may have an advantage is walking your dog. It is, however, also dangerous on a MiniPro, because if your dog suddenly pulls, you may accelerate where you don't want it, and if he pulls sidewards, you may touch the kneesteering unexpectedly and therefore fall off, finding your dog licking your face. :)
  • Some say, stopping (e.g. in front of a traffic light) and starting is easier with a MiniPro. During my first month on an EUC I would have agreed, but meanwhile I see it differently. Yes, I must step down with one foot, and step up again, but that is in no case any sort of problem or instability. It is like stopping or starting with a bicycle.

So yes, meanwhile I prefer my KS16 a lot, and in all cases, over the MiniPro, I don't want it back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Ninebot One E+ for exactly 2 weeks now and the MiniPro for about 6 weeks and I think I now have a good idea of the pros and cons of each.

MiniPro Advantages over an EUC

It can stop and start without needing a dismount and a mount

It doesn't hurt the ankles or legs

You can easily look behind you

It handles wind much better

It handles loose gravel much better

You can walk your dog with it

It has a remote control that lets you drive it around rough grassy areas you can't ride easily (I use this almost every day on a certain area of my dog walking route)

It can stand upright without falling over when you let go

It's more stable and safe

It has twice the traction due to having two wheels on the ground

It can go at speeds as slow as 0.1kph without having to use circus balancing skills and flail the arms around to stay on

Stopping at intersections and crossing roads is much easier because low speeds, stops and checking behind is easy

EUC Advantages over a MiniPro

It handles bumps better and vibrates less due to the larger wheel diameter

There is no side to side bumping, only vertical bumping.

It's faster

It's more fun to ride

There's only half the risk of getting a puncture

Strangers usually think it's cool, rather than nerdy or hoverboardish

It's less awkward to carry in stock form (The MiniPro is easy to carry with a simple DIY mod)

It is more compact (if you own a small wheel)

It can go on much narrower bike trails

It has inner tubes that are cheaper to repair or replace than the tubeless tires on the MiniPro

It works out your leg and core muscles more and your brain's balance ability

Archived