Wind

Paddylaz

I have few occasions for ride on strong wind. All of them I have the need of lower my body to sit down, that improves a lot the aerodynamic but make me do more effort and don't allow me to see and be seeing appropriately, is fun but very risky

Edited by Demargon
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Demargon said:

I have few occasions for ride on strong wind. All of them I have the need of lower my body to sit down, that improves a lot the aerodynamic but make me do more effort and don't allow me to see and be seeing appropriately, is fun but very risky

What EUC do you have ? Because sitting on a Monster or KS18 can be done without too much efforts, but if you're taking sitting on a Gotway Luffy then the efforts must me humungous ! (even worse on the rare Gotway pocket 5)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Yea @Pingouin what I do is really crouching to slightly touch in the rear of euc top with my ass. There are no seat here and I can't relax at all. I must improve my v5f with a small seat soon.

This is how I look riding crowch in my 14" wheel

mini-bike-frame.jpg

Well the good thing is that you're doing some physical training at the same time, plus the feeling of speed is greater if closer to the ground :D

I used to sit sometimes on my MCM4, but I felt quite ridiculous, and I couldn't hold the position for very long, on the Monster it's a very comfortable position (on the KS18 too) :)

What seat do you intend to use on the V5f ?

• Upvote 1

My best choice would be a unicycle seat FusionZero_Blue_tos_0204.jpg

But there is no easy way to fit it without making holes in the shell and chassis of the euc, that isn't my intention for the moment. 

I gonna try to make something like the detachable seat of ks 18 for my v5f.

While it was done is easy to put a bicycle one instead.

58f3711dbf669_IMG_20170416_1521285762.thumb.jpg.19a06485d265227adb7c43affbfec724.jpg

Edited by Demargon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

does anyone else find that wind is the ultimate 'kryptonite' for eucs?

Wind can vary from unpleasant/annoying to scary. The riding position, standing upright, presents a high profile, big body area to catch the wind. Sometimes going into a headwind, the EUC almost cannot go forward! Being pushed around and/or slowed down by wind makes riding much less fun for me. Wind is easiest to handle when it is relatively constant. I can adjust my position/how hard I'm leaning for relatively stable balance. Gusty wind scares me, especially strong gusts. I have to be very alert between gusts, ready to react when the next gust comes. Numerous times I have nearly been blown over. When conditions are so bad that I feel in danger of being blown over, I abort the ride.

Like Demargon, I crouch down in strong wind so my body does not catch the wind as much.

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dpong said:

I have a silly little technique that I use when riding into a head-wind.  Realizing that my arms out to the side broadens my 'sail' of wind resistance, I will sometimes place my hands together in a 'praying' position but with the fingertips facing forward.  It makes my body more aerodynamic.  It seems that this would not provide much improvement, but instead I can actually feel that it does indeed. 

I do the same thing on my MiniPro and it makes quite a big difference in 30kph+ winds. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's exactly how I ride even if it isn't windy!  :innocent1: You also might hear me quietly praying "Please God don't let me die, no faceplants today, let there be no weak cells in my battery pack..." ;)   Here's a selfie of me rolling through the woods demonstrating my technique:

Hopefully there is a Ninebot God? Gotway Gods are not fond of non-believers!:P Nice Getty Image of you on Easter!:innocent1:

• Upvote 2

I was surprised at how difficult it is to ride a unicycle in any wind, especially if one is carrying a stadium umbrella. My wheel would be leaned way over on one side, then a gust would come and the wheel had to be flopped completely over onto the other side.

I found some difficulties with an umbrella. One has to go slow enough to get coverage but the slower one goes the less leverage the wheel has against gusts. Above a certain speed I find the gyroscope inertia to be great enough to make the wheel fairly stable but then I'm not staying dry.

Riding in wind is pretty hard, it requires really fast and correct reactions.

In the beginning, I was struggling with my own sense of balance, and any wind tended to confuse my sense of balance.  It is like I couldn't tell the difference between the wind and my own balance.  I no longer have this problem as my sense of balance developed.  I don't, however, ride the the rain, ever. 

• 9 months later...

I twist my body while going into a strong head wind and trying to conserve battery. I twist so that my upper body is more bladed into the wind.  Not sure if it works but it makes sense that it would, so I do it.  

Yesterday I went on my first 10 mile ride at a local park and it was windy in areas. I had to go up a path against the wind and it was like pushing against a wall. I came upon a open area and a gust hit me from the side and I lost control and tumbled in the grass.  That was awesome! 

• Like 2