Inmotion & Solowheel

OliverH

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

On aliexpress the sellers -or some of them- are selling the international version! Which can use the app!

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

If you do you will need to use a VPN to spit your internet connection out in the China region to use the Inmotion app for adjustments and monitoring. With eWheels now out the picture for US based purchases you may want to look at SpeedyFeet in the UK who has just started stocking the V8 and according to @KingSong69 should work with the app anywhere outside of China..

I still need to research it but I do not know of a working alternative for Inmotion wheels to the official app (for Android anyway) for speed and mileage monitoring. Wheellog was being updated but I didn't find any info that suggested it was working properly in the end and now think the app has been retired from active development. I could be wrong though as I've only just started searching threads for this info.

Or may be it is better for me to look at KS16 then, just to avoid the possible hassle. Still cannot decide what to choose as a first wheel..

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

Or may be it is better for me to look at KS16 then, just to avoid the possible hassle. Still cannot decide what to choose as a first wheel..

why is it so hard to decide ?

The KS 16S is a well spec'ed wheel. I chose the V8 over it for my own QoL reasons plus for me the V8 was only $995 and had the support of eWheels behind it which are not luxuries you have now. If you can pony up $1475 then it is now a highly attractive option. Good power, range, and more safety emphasis than GotWay models.

22 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

Get the wheel you want. It may be just gut feeling instead of elaborate considerations which wheel you prefer (and optics play a big role), but go with what you feel is right and that makes you happy:)

If this is the V8, you could buy one from Europe (e.g. speedyfeet.co.uk shipped several Gotway wheels to @Marty Backe) or from a Chinese Aliexpress seller, whom you can simply ask whether they sell the international version and whether the app will work. And there's still the geolocking workaround option in the worst case.

--

Personally, I consider the KS16S one level up from the V8 (more motor power, battery), so if you're undecided and don't "need" the unique strengths of the V8 (thin, lighter, that lift button that disables the motor for easy carrying, looks) and can/want to afford the "level up", I would go for the 16S, it's just a newer and imho better wheel. And for your weight (you said 205 lbs somewhere else) I consider the 800W V8 (or KS16 non-S) borderline weak. That may be exaggerated, but you can never have enough power, who knows when you need it;)

The V8 is great though and plenty of (heavy) people had zero problems with it. You hardly can go wrong with either wheel.

9 hours ago, RichieV said:

From my understanding, the app will be geolocked depending on the serial number of the wheel when you try to connect.  If the serial number is from a wheel that was not intended for the North American market, the app will not work with that wheel if it detects your location to be within North America.

I might need to make a hack to geo-unlock it then ! I will need to investigate if it is possible if it comes to that.

So what does this mean for the relationship Inmotion has with American rebranders like Swagtron and Jyro? I detailed the Inmotion rebraded wheels when I was at CES here:

Right now, Swagton is selling their Inmotion V3 for $399. Jyro looks like it's still stuck.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:02 PM, HETPE3B said:

I own both the V8 and KS-16S and unless you can pay the old price for the V8 (<1000) then there is no question that the 16S is the better wheel.  If you were able to pay <1000 for the V8 then you can make the argument that it's not worth paying an extra 500 for the 16S, but if they are similarly priced at ~1500, then it's no debate at all, get the 16S.

On 7/17/2017 at 1:13 PM, WARPed1701D said:

There is a chance I will move from the US to the UK in the next 12 months and want to still be able to access the app form the new location

If I had to guess, I'd say that in 12 months you'll be more than ready to move on to your next wheel, so maybe you just wait till you move to EU and make a purchase through a reseller there to avoid the whole Inmotion problem?  Sell your V8 to someone in the US before you leave...problem solved :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

I own both the V8 and KS-16S and unless you can pay the old price for the V8 (<1000) then there is no question that the 16S is the better wheel.  If you were able to pay <1000 for the V8 then you can make the argument that it's not worth paying an extra 500 for the 16S, but if they are similarly priced at ~1500, then it's no debate at all, get the 16S.

Currently the US version V8 on eBay is $950-999 shipped from US, while KS16S on aliexpress $1088 with shipping from China to US, so they are priced in the same range. It's just a location..

7 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

Currently the US version V8 on eBay is $950-999 shipped from US, while KS16S on aliexpress $1088 with shipping from China to US, so they are priced in the same range. It's just a location..

If prices are the same or similar then the 16S would be my choice, however, I would encourage you to purchase from a dealer.  You will certainly not get the cheapest price possible, but you will get after purchase support (at least I've received great support from @Jason McNeil at ewheels.com) which I think is worth every penny when you are investing that kind of money ($1000+) into something...

3 minutes ago, Maximus said:

If prices are the same or similar then the 16S would be my choice, however, I would encourage you to purchase from a dealer.  You will certainly not get the cheapest price possible, but you will get after purchase support (at least I've received great support from @Jason McNeil at ewheels.com) which I think is worth every penny when you are investing that kind of money ($1000+) into something...

I heard all the good things about Jason. Looks like he is a man of his word.

But for right now I cannot justify for myself paying ~$400 extra (if we talk about KS16S) for 1 year service support that I may not need (or most likely won't need). In case something will go really bad - $400 should be enough to cover nearly any part in that device, while I'm pretty confident I may provide the repair/replacement service myself (most likely I will need the competent advice thought :D ). The thing is - I'm not sure if I will put a 100 miles on the wheel per year :) But I guess my theory is completely off-topic here and should be discussed in the another thread.

13 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

But for right now I cannot justify for myself paying ~$400 extra (if we talk about KS16S) for 1 year service support that I may not need (or most likely won't need). In case something will go really bad - $400 should be enough to cover nearly any part in that device, while I'm pretty confident I may provide the repair/replacement service myself (most likely I will need the competent advice thought :D ). The thing is - I'm not sure if I will put a 100 miles on the wheel per year :) But I guess my theory is completely off-topic here and should be discussed in the another thread.

I've not imported a wheel from abroad so am not sure on what would/could be payable but don't forget to factor possible customs charges in your calculations for an imported wheel.

6 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

It's an interesting question, and answering it has been the obsession of economists everywhere. The Inmotion V8 is almost a case study in pricing schemes; someone could do a paper on it if they had more data although it wouldn't show anything new or surprising. If you had really good data, like how many wheels SoloWheel is selling and wheels it has in stock, then you could almost guess the price over time using historical data on other goods.

Consider:

--Price of V8 on the free market (direct from Inmotion).

--Price of the V8 through Alibali).

--Price of the V8 through Jason.

--Price of the V8 through SoloWheel.

The first three prices are about what I would expect from the free market as the price is within 50 bucks of each other, and there's a small markup for profit. Maybe $700 for a dealer to buy a V8? That's reasonable because the seller does have to pay for shipping.

However, then the lawyer slaps a constraint that forces the price way up. Pretty much anytime there's a constraint the price goes up buuut we have other wheels that will force the price down. Strong national borders actually means pretty good price controls.

I'm guessing SoloWheel used border controls to force Inmotion to accept a deal. What SoloWheel should have done was force Inmotion and Kingsong to accept a deal. They probably tried that and for whatever reason they couldn't (but that doesn't mean they won't).

History has been kind to fungible luxury goods; in every case that I can think of, with no exception except the lever lemon squeezer, the luxury good in question is both better and cheaper over time. Fungible goods flow through borders like they are porous (check the bill of sale of your wheel and notice it's usually "wheelbarrow -- $100").

Fungible luxury goods do invite counterfeiting so that is something to be aware of. I think wheels are so sophisticated they would be hard to counterfeit, although a reseller could counterfeit the battery size (probably the biggest cost of wheel I think) and sell that to you at quite some profit.

It is expensive to scrape out the original Inmotion logos on its outer shells and pedals before putting theirs. They even hired Indiana Jones for the first batch!

So after eBay did send me the offer for 8% eBay bucks - it did trigger me to send the offer of $950 to the seller (and he did accept it) therefore netting at $874 for the V8. I guess it's pretty good deal for how the seller claims US version wheel. eBay 1 months and Paypal 6 months buyer protection should help me should there be some really serious issues with the wheel.

On 21/07/2017 at 3:52 PM, Maximus said:

there is no question that the 16S is the better wheel

The 16S is heavier and wider and (I believe) has less ground clearance than the V8. I find these are significant disadvantages. What are its advantages besides a larger range?

1 hour ago, Mono said:

The 16S is heavier and wider and (I believe) has less ground clearance than the V8. I find these are significant disadvantages. What are its advantages besides a larger range?

The Bluetooth speakers and built in trolley handle:mellow:  Oh, and the fuse easily accessible under the charge port cover and the light sensor that turns on the headlight after dark and the selectable speed warnings in the app and the upward angled pedals that enable tight turns and the videos showing the hill climbing ability.

But a fuse?  I don't think that is really an advantage.  I think the V8 is a very good wheel, and I like Inmotion products.  I like the build quality of the Inmotion wheels and reliability they seem to have.  The V8 blows away anything Ninebot has to offer, from what I have seen on videos and this forum.  It would be good to have a comparison from someone who owns both.  I own neither,  but wish I had both of them.  ( I only have a Ninebot one E+ )

I just found out recently the the V3Pro two wheeled version has speakers also, and that you can record whatever message you want, if it falls over it can say whatever you record.  I think Inmotion and Kingsong are the only wheels you can play music on.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:22 AM, HETPE3B said:

I got my KS16S a tad cheaper than that from KS, with the understanding that my wheel would not be built for several weeks, and a few months between placing the order to receiving the wheel. It feels somewhat like Kickstarter; you buy something before it even gets made.

It's a beautiful wheel, with great fit and finish, about the same in my opinion as the V5F+. I feel the only feature it is missing is the disarm switch under the handle.

Hmm, dunno if it's better than the V8. If they were priced the same then I'd just go with the bigger battery and heavier engine of the KS16s but since the V8 now costs $1600 you'd almost have to go with the KS16S.

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I got my KS16S a tad cheaper than that from KS, with the understanding that my wheel would not be built for several weeks, and a few months between placing the order to receiving the wheel. It feels somewhat like Kickstarter; you buy something before it even gets made.

That's the impression that I get, that Kingsong doesn't make more wheels than they can sell.  Seems like a smart business plan, they will never overproduce, but Americans always wish they can get what they want right away.:efefb6a84e:

19 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That's the impression that I get, that Kingsong doesn't make more wheels than they can sell.  Seems like a smart business plan, they will never overproduce, but Americans always wish they can get what they want right away.:efefb6a84e:

Checking my credit card statement just now, it took two months and ten days for me to get my wheel.:D

Interestingly enough my first wheel was an IPS Hotz which was in production queue for a week before I cancelled as it didn't seem to be going anywhere. 

Archived