Upgrade recommendations?

Nash

Hi.. sorry if this is not intended here, and should belong in some sub-forum.. its my first thread so do forgive me..

I have an Inmotion V5F currently and am thinking to upgrade to another wheel.. i love the V5F, but the range (more important) and max speed (less so) is somewhat lacking, now that i am fairly decent at riding.. I'm in Asia, so V5F+ is not avaliable.. the V8 is another obvious choice but I'm hoping the experts here have some recommendations..

In order of importance:

- more range (current ish 20km)

- higher max speed (current 25km/h)

- size and weight not too much bigger/heavier, as I'm commuting with train transfer and need to carry it quite abit.. (current 12kg)

Also, as a side question, as I'm quite used to Inmotion's kill switch, how do the rest of you (riding with other brands) manage with situations that require temporary lifting of the wheel? (Eg. Curbs, stairs, etc).. Need to turn it off and on again?

Thanks much in advance!

I started on a ninebot one, and had the same upgrade wishes.

First I bought a Kingsong 18, I loved the stability at speed and the range.

Nevertheless I bought yet another wheel: the gotway msuper v3 1600. I did buy it because of the extra power. It has the same speed and stabilty as the KS, and a bit less range (but still a decent 50-60km). What I got back is more agility. To my surprise the GW turns easy (less easy of course than the nb1, but much better than the KS18). Also the trolley-handle is very handy.

Between the two I recommend the gotway. These wheels do not come cheap though.

As to your side question. The (trolley)handle on the GW makes the need to lift it a rare occasion. When I lift it, I need to shut down the wheel (with a full second press of the power button). It then is just like a very heavy shopping bag. Lifting the KS was more troublesome. Not only did I need to lift it more often, because of its heigh, the KS is much closer to the ground when lifted, making climbing stairs a real tour de force. 

I cannot offer information on upgrading to other wheels, because I have not driven them. Hope this info helps you.

You just want a better version of what you have now? (I think it's 480 Wh with the V5?)

14 inch: KS14D if there are big enough batteries

16 inch: V8 as you said (does not seem to have a bigger battery than 480), or KS 16/16S as a stronger, faster option with bigger batteries. You could go ACM too, but it's quite a different wheel, so not sure if it's good for you.

If I were you I'd look at a KingSong with around 800+Wh, that should be a big improvement and they're quite nice wheels.

20 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You just want a better version of what you have now? (I think it's 480 Wh with the V5?)

14 inch: KS14D if there are big enough batteries

16 inch: V8 as you said (does not seem to have a bigger battery than 480), or KS 16/16S as a stronger, faster option with bigger batteries. You could go ACM too, but it's quite a different wheel, so not sure if it's good for you.

If I were you I'd look at a KingSong with around 800+Wh, that should be a big improvement and they're quite nice wheels.

Yup...what he said ⬆

Ks14d or, if you have to have the kill trigger, the V8 is your obvious 'evolution' from the v5f.

Not sure when im going to upgrade from my v5f+, but unless something spectacular is released between now and then, it'll most definitely be one of those two.

Ps. Don't forget that you, like me, are probably very used to the high pedals on the Inmotion. Could be a culture shock having to go back to (what I assume are) 'regular' ones on other wheels.

On 4/14/2017 at 9:16 AM, Nash said:

how do the rest of you (riding with other brands) manage with situations that require temporary lifting of the wheel? (Eg. Curbs, stairs, etc).. Need to turn it off and on again?

Yes, every wheel I've had is this way. I would love to have the kill switch like InMotion provides!

Thanks everyone for your valuable insights!! I guess the V8 would be a safer option.. very good points about pedal height, kill switch and mobility.. Thanks all once again <3 <3 :) 

@Nash I see in inmotion.fr the v8 and v5f specification and found that: v5f range 30km, v8 40km. V5f max speed 25km/h, v8 30km/h. I think the v8 don't make enough difference, if numbers don't lie

http://www.inmotion-france.fr

Pd: don't believe always in the numbers. Spain inmotion is a big liar about v5f:

Screenshot_20170313-114032.png

1 hour ago, Demargon said:

I see in inmotion.fr the v8 and v5f specification and found that: v5f range 30km, v8 40km. V5f max speed 25km/h, v8 30km/h. I think the v8 don't make enough difference, if numbers don't lie

To be precise, it says up to 40km range for the V8, which is, to all I know, actually a pretty accurate specification. Of course, any "up to" number can be quite meaningless as well. Yet, my measurements give an estimated usable energy of 400Wh and I had once a 9.4km round trip where I measured 92Wh=9.8Wh/km consumption with 80kg weight and 40m overall elevation. That suggests a light rider could reach even larger ranges than 40km under ideal circumstances.

Archived