2. 2. In the forest (dry on paths)

• 1.5 bar (21 PSI)
    • 2 bar (29 PSI)
    • 2.5 bar (36 PSI)
    • 3 bar (44 PSI)
    • 4 bar (58 PSI)
    • 5 bar (73 PSI)
    • 6 bar (87 PSI) or more
  3. 3. Soft surfaces like wet gras, mud, snow etc.

• 1.5 bar (21 PSI)
    • 2 bar (29 PSI)
    • 2.5 bar (36 PSI)
    • 3 bar (44 PSI)
    • 4 bar (58 PSI)
    • 5 bar (73 PSI)
    • 6 bar (87 PSI) or more

Looking at the tyre info on my EYU it says to inflate to between 35 and 45 psi. I ride at just over 40 psi.

Checked the IPS wheels and the don't give a maximum pressure but worryingly they do say maximum loading of 70Kg @ 36 psi, again I ride at a little over 40 psi on all surfaces which is about 2.8 bar.

I usually look at the tire markings and I inflate to right in the middle of the pressure range.  I think this is usually 40-45 psi?  The Gotway 10" is 24psi I think from memory - and that's the lowest pressure I've got, but it rides great.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a 2.9-3.0 bar on my Solowheel.

However, I have to check the pressure every few weeks but it looks like it is slowly losing pressure over time.

I usually notice this as the SW starts to turn with more difficulty when the pressure gets below 2.5 bar.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently purchased a proper pump with a gauge and I decided to try pumping it up to the recommended pressure (~45 PSI) to see what the change would be like. I found that I had the pressure much lower than 45 PSI and that now when riding fast it feels like I have much less control. i.e. I nearly had to jump off when I rode into the gutter while a car was passing me by. I'm definitely more comfortable with sub 40 PSI and I do not believe that I can adjust to a pressure that is above that. I weigh 165lbs. 

I can definitively state that my electric bicycle feels 100% safer to ride than one these very odd and precarious motorized death machines. I did not hold this opinion before, but now it seems that I do.  

The Kenda tire that came with my KS-16 says 40-65 PSI. I keep it in the upper range since I am "slightly" heavy. I think it lowers wear on the tire walls (walls fold less on each revolution because the pressure stiffens them). Also the wheel rolls with less resistance.

I find it kind of strange though that the tire says max load is 70 kg whilst the user manual for the wheel says max load is 120 kg. This is probably going to increase wear to above "normal".

9 hours ago, Frode said:

The Kenda tire that came with my KS-16 says 40-65 PSI. I keep it in the upper range since I am "slightly" heavy. I think it lowers wear on the tire walls (walls fold less on each revolution because the pressure stiffens them). Also the wheel rolls with less resistance.

I find it kind of strange though that the tire says max load is 70 kg whilst the user manual for the wheel says max load is 120 kg. This is probably going to increase wear to above "normal".

I believe there are no tires specific for monowheel, these are all for bikes, meaning 2 wheels  good for 140kg. So for a monowheel it's probable a good idea to increase pressure to the upper limit.

I’m a big guy (+100kg), and I tend to push it to the limit, so I run my T680+ with 4bar, and the Lhotz with 4,2bar.

I don’t worry about that, tires dont burst just like that. At 4bar (60psi) the T680+ with it’s smaller tire is rock hard, at 4,2 the Lhotz still has some flex (although, subjectively, some seems to come from the pedals).

Under high load (speed, weight, fast manoeuvering) a tire needs a higher resistance to compression = stiffer side walls and/or higher pressure.

Higher tire pressures also boost the range and will make the wheel more reactive (less friction) and improves control (less flex).

The lower the side walls of a tire is, the stiffer it has to be and/or the higher pressure you have to put in it (or both) to get the same resistance to compression.

This ofcourse reduces the impact absorption and as such making them less comfortable to drive.

On an off-road model, sa wider, higher, more flexible tire (together with the different threading) does make sense. This way it has more grip (friction) for off-road use but less control (more flex) on a hard flat surface.

You have to realise, that if the tire doesn’t take the beating (flexes), it’s all the rest that will:  the pedals, wheel bearings, joint cartilage (especially the knees) will wear out quicker. Therefor, if you do a lot of (high) jumps with your wheel these higher pressures  are probably to be applied with caution.

A girl of 55kg mainly doing acrobatics is something different that a big guy > 100kg going at 35KmH of a smooth surface.

I believe it’s best to adapt the tire pressure to your weight, riding style, and type of tire, instead of just copying numbers from other people.

If in doubt, go for the higher pressures.

On 7/3/2015 at 5:38 PM, Omer Lifshitz said:

Any advice from you experts on the recommended air pressure on my 12" EVA

My weight is 77 kilogram and im 183cm.

and im single :-)

Thx guy's!

f.png

Increase your calory intake by 10%, or if you ride the wheel daily increase it by min. 15%, and there's a 90% chance you will no longer be single by Christmass :rolleyes:

Archived