Luffy Review

Clovis

Looks like Ian at SpeedyFeet has just posted his comprehensive Luffy review.  For short distances, this EUC looks brilliant.  This wheel be perfect for the other use-case since I currently own a KS18.  I'm ordering one now.

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

Looks like those pedals are really quite close to the ground too.....so not ideal for any trick-lovers or sharp turners perhaps.....

Don't know if you watched the entire video, but he was impressed with how sharp of a turn it does and I believe that he even states that it would be good for doing tricks.

3 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Looks like those pedals are really quite close to the ground too.....so not ideal for any trick-lovers or sharp turners perhaps.....

or for any moderate size obstacle passing under the pedals like at 12:15, kind-of a deal breaker for me :(

Interestingly, given that Luffy is a featherweight and has a low pedal height it may play an adjunct role in treating children with specific disabilities. Kids with cerebral palsy, low muscle tone, balance and somotosensory feedback issues may benefit. I ordered a Luffy from Ian for this purpose and with the assistance of colleagues we should be able to obtain some interesting quantifiable data over the coming months. 

On 4/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, Rehab1 said:

Interestingly, given that Luffy is a featherweight and has a low pedal height it may play an adjunct role in treating children with specific disabilities. Kids with cerebral palsy, low muscle tone, balance and somotosensory feedback issues may benefit. I ordered a Luffy from Ian for this purpose and with the assistance of colleagues we should be able to obtain some interesting quantifiable data over the coming months. 

:blink: You you're gonna make disabled and physically challenged children ride electric unicycles?  :popcorn:  No... no... mu must resist... :popcorn: ... :innocent1:  This may or may not be a good idea... just sayin'.  Even able bodied, healthy people are faceplanting and getting injured all the time (looking at you @Marty Backe).  I am a little concerned what the unforgiving Gotway Gods will do to small, helpless children.  :whistling:  Maybe starting off on a hoverboard might be safer?  Although disabled children on fire doesn't paint a pretty picture either... :shock2:

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink: You you're gonna make disabled and physically challenged children ride electric unicycles?  :popcorn:  No... no... mu must resist... :popcorn: ... :innocent1:  This may or may not be a good idea... just sayin'.  Even able bodied, healthy people are faceplanting and getting injured all the time (looking at you @Marty Backe).  I am a little concerned what the unforgiving Gotway Gods will do to small, helpless children.  :whistling:  Maybe starting off on a hoverboard might be safer?  Although disabled children on fire doesn't paint a pretty picture either... :shock2:

Calm...deep breath...:sleep1:.........

I greatly appreciate your concerns! The pediatric therapists who would be involved in the program are highly trained! At no point would a child be allowed to stand let alone ride Luffy without the use of a tether, parallel bars or body harness in conjunction with the therapist's skilled guided hands.

There are hundreds if not thousands of disabilities and subcategory classifications. Many of our kiddos with disabilities ride horses, play hockey, baseball, soccer and numerous other sport's related activities. It would be up to the therapists to decide which child may benefit from this balance related program and then develop therapy sessions centered around each child's individual needs and specific goals.

First things first though. Once I receive Luffy I will set up a meeting with the therapists so they can evaluate the wheel and begin brainstorming on ideas for the implementation of Luffy into their practice. 

BTW, I welcome the GW Gods to provide guidance and safety towards any rehabilitation program that may evolve along the way!:)

On the count of 10 slowly open your eyes........... :w00t2:

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Calm...deep breath...:sleep1:.........

I greatly appreciate your concerns! The pediatric therapists who would be involved in the program are highly trained! At no point would a child be allowed to stand let alone ride Luffy without the use of a tether, parallel bars or body harness in conjunction with the therapist's skilled guided hands.

There are hundreds if not thousands of disabilities and subcategory classifications. Many of our kiddos with disabilities ride horses, play hockey, baseball, soccer and numerous other sport's related activities. It would be up to the therapists to decide which child may benefit from this balance related program and then develop therapy sessions centered around each child's individual needs and specific goals.

First things first though. Once I receive Luffy I will set up a meeting with the therapists so they can evaluate the wheel and begin brainstorming on ideas for the implementation of Luffy into their practice. 

BTW, I welcome the GW Gods to provide guidance and safety towards any rehabilitation program that may evolve along the way!:)

On the count of 10 slowly open your eyes........... :w00t2:

Thing is though, none of the sports you have listed there require the balance an EUC does. 

I wouldnt even think about using an EUC for the reasons you state. 

3 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Thing is though, none of the sports you have listed there require the balance an EUC does. 

I wouldnt even think about using an EUC for the reasons you state. 

Sorry to differ. Let's consider horseback riding. It is currently used in my field for balance, somotosensory inputs, proprioception, body posture, and core strengthening to name a few! 

I am sorry you do not fully comprehend the expanding role of skilled therapists in the medical field to adapt various types of equipment to meet individual needs. Hopefully in the future I will be able to provide evidence based data.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry to differ. Let's consider horseback riding. It is currently used in my field for balance, somotosensory inputs, proprioception, body posture, and core strengthening to name a few! 

It almost sounds like the guy with "rehab" in his forum name might actually know something about rehabilitation.:huh:

:whistling:  <Pictures small disabled child getting the hang of Luffy... takes off at 22 kph out parking lot and zooms down street... with several physical therapists madly running after child... news at 11>

Don't get me wrong - I think we all have faith that you are well experienced and educated in your field.  Do remember that the rest of us can only form judgements based on our own knowledge base, limited as it may be.  I've seen some amazing things that kids can do, and far be it for me to ever want to limit their potential whether it be riding horses, doing gymnastics, or riding electric balancing unicycles.  I think your idea of using Luffy and enthusiasm for helping kids is brilliant.

I've passed older people with canes as they've had their eyes glued on me.  I've always wondered whether they would be interested in riding and whether they would be able to.  I suppose success would be very dependant on a case by case basis.

But really we all know who's mainly going to be riding it the rest of the time... :whistling:  ;) "Yes Honey - it's a legitimate business expense!  Really!  Ima helping the children!"  :innocent1:

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I am sorry you do not fully comprehend the expanding role of skilled therapists in the medical field to adapt various types of equipment to meet individual needs. Hopefully in the future I will be able to provide evidence based data.

I understand fully, but the balance required on an EUC is much more critical than on a horse. 

(I grew up on a farm and I'm totally aware what it takes to ride s horse.)

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:whistling:  <Pictures small disabled child getting the hang of Luffy... takes off at 22 kph out parking lot and zooms down street... with several physical therapists madly running after child... news at 11>

Adaptive my friend. Not suicidal! :) There is a  sundry of ability devices that could be re-engineered around the Luffy. If the therapists feel they can utilize Luffy in a safe manner they will let me know.

Baby steps first! Once Luffy arrives ( yes my wife knows) I will meet with the therapists so they have something concrete to examine along with me demonstrating some riding. If they feel there is no therapeutic value or the risk is too great then I become the owner of a very small EUC that goes up for sale on EBay. :crying:

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

If they feel there is no therapeutic value or the risk is too great then I become the owner of a very small EUC that goes up for sale on EBay. :crying:

Or so your wife thinks;)  6 months later, Oh yeah honey, I just forgot to list it.  I'll do it right now.  Really, though, you could use it to teach her to ride on a small wheel, and it's a win win.

1 hour ago, OliverH said:

Why do Gotway release the Luffy? What's the market expectation? Was there any demand?

Gotway makes the largest, most powerful wheel (the Monster) and the smallest wheel (The Luffy)  That makes Gotway the number one wheel maker.  They have it all.  I think that proves that Gotway is serious.  Doh!  If Homer Simpson saw a Gotway, he would say, Mmmm,Gotway, like he does when he sees donuts.  Now I Must Buy Gotway.  Sorry, but if I do buy another wheel, It's gonna be a Gotway.  Doh!  Gotta get a Gotway!   The name has something to do with it.  Gotway.  How you gonna get there, Gotway.:thumbup:

Archived