NineBot One E+ Not Charging- PLEASE HELP!!

DubLow7

Hey Guys,

I am new to the Ninebot One Family and recently purchased a Ninebot One E+ (second hand). When I purchased the unit, it had about 9 miles on it and was roughly 55% charged (per the app) and the LEDs on the unit lite up green about half way on both sides of the Ninebot. I rode the Ninebot for about 2 hours and the charge dropped as expected. But when I went to charge the unit, the LED on the brick of the charger remained GREEN...even after leaving it on the charger for about 4 hours. I read on multiple forums that you should properly align the charger to the charging port and then plug the charger into the wall (which I did), however, the light still remained green. The next step I took in troubleshooting it was to check the cables that attached to the battery; to see if they were properly connected (which mine were).

At this point, I was running out of ideas on what the issue could be- So, I tried reaching out to the person who sold me the Ninebot but got no response.  Next, reached out to Segway via email and they suggested replacing the battery, which was going to cost me roughly over $250 with no guarantee of it resolving the issue. Since this was, what I thought my last resort, I ordered a new replacement battery. After swapping the old battery with the new; the app showed the battery percentage at 100%. I rode the Ninebot for about 2 hours and the charge dropped to about 64% and then when I went to charge the unit, I was stuck with the same problem where the LED on the brick stayed green and did not turn red to indicate that it was charging.

Now, I'm not sure if it the Ninebot itself that is causing the issue or the charger- which I tested the voltage and it seems to be fine. Also, there is no indication of the charger or the ports showing signs of sparks (smoke/fire) and the pins on the charger are fully intact. Not sure if there is anyone near San Ramon or the Bay Area that could assist or if anyone on the forum has any other ideas on what the problem could be or provide a solution- I would greatly appreciate the help.

• DubLow7 changed the title to NineBot One E+ Not Charging- PLEASE HELP!!

You could try checking to see if there is the proper voltage at the battery charging connector inside the wheel.  From the battery, there's usually a supply connector that's yellow which connects to the wires to the control board.  In addition there's a black connector that has black and yellow wires.  Unplug the black charging connector and check to see if there is voltage at that connector which leads to the external charging port.  The charger should be plugged in and connected into the charging port to test.  There could be a problem at the external charging port itself.

Sounds like you should try a new charger. 
Can you log into the ninebot app, see if there is a 'rider nearby', then message them?

Don't worry about the additional battery, it'll be handy to have a spare, you'll be able to do extended rides. 
Might be worth getting a 2nd charge port for it though, then you'll be able to charge 'off wheel' https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/ninebot-one-parts/products/ninebot-one-charging-port

Did your replacement battery come with a separate charging lead allowing you to charge the battery outside of the Ninebot (mine did)? If so, you could see if that works. The only times I have come across the light staying green was if the battery connection connector had come unseated or the wires had become damaged.

1 hour ago, DubLow7 said:

I read on multiple forums that you should properly align the charger to the charging port and then plug the charger into the wall (which I did), however, the light still remained green.

If I'm reading this correctly, you first plugged the end into the Ninebot, then after that you plugged it into the wall, is correct?  If so, I've always done the opposite.  I first plug into the wall, then into my Ninebot

@DubLow7 Get the pin-out for the charger connector.  Then you need to do some math.

The Power supply is going to have an output voltage and Amps.

So lets say your power supply output says 67.2 Vdc and 1.5 Amps. Using the equation  Voltage= Current x Resistance ( V=I*R).

Ideally you can get a Power rated resistor but a lightbulb should do for this test.

So say we use a 60W incandecent lightbulb. Install it in a socket and install the two wires to the socket. the lose ends will be used to connect to your EUC power-Charger.  Ideally you should find some proper pins to connect the lightbulb to the charger.

You need to find the Ground-Pin and the 67.2 volts pin. A 60W 120vac lightbulb has an approximate resistance of 240 ohms.

Using I=V/R  67.2/240= 0.28 amps. Your power supply should put out over 1.5 amps so it is very low power being pulled.

Start with one lightbulb. Connect to the charger and see if it drives the light. I believe it goes green when the current is below 0.25 amps. Measure the voltage accross the light bulb. It should be 67.2 Vdc. Observe the color of the charger light and record.

If the light was RED with one lightbulb add a second light in series ( more resistance). The light should go green and the voltage should still be 67.2Vdc.

If the light was Green with one lightbulb add a second light in parallel( less resistance). The light should go red and the voltage should still be 67.2Vdc.

This is relatively safe since the lightbulb acts as a fuse but this is not an issue since we are not pulling that much power.

From what I found, the charger port only uses two of the pins which makes it then easy to test.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

If I'm reading this correctly, you first plugged the end into the Ninebot, then after that you plugged it into the wall, is correct?  If so, I've always done the opposite.  I first plug into the wall, then into my Ninebot

@DubLow7The cord that has the charger plug on the charger might be broken inside. Get a Volt-Meter and measure and also do the test above.

For GOTWAY is the other way around. Plug to 120 first and then to EUC second. Otherwise you get a spark. My gues is that the output capacitors in the charger pare drained. Plugging the cord to the EUC allows the battery to reverse feed the charger. If the charger is not powered the capacitors are drained. Plugging the charger first fills the capacitors then since the batteries are never at 0-volts there is less voltage difference thus not sparking or less sparking. 

Min essence it is a poor design. The charger and batteries should have reverse diode protection and intelligent power output control on the charger but that would obviously cost more. 

For GOTWAY plug to 120 first and then to EUC charging port second. 

Not sure for others. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Sounds like you should try a new charger.

I agree. My charger showed green all the time, despite the battery being discharged. I'd look at the charger first, not the battery.

Archived