Merrittous MonoWheel

Anatomy of a Monster

22 posts in this topic

I would be very nervous about riding my Monster down such steep hills. With other wheels, not such a problem if you lose control. But with the Monster, it weights so much and is not constructed out of the most toughest of plastics, it doesn't do well when it hits the ground hard.

Thanks for the pictures.

From a previous crash where the plastic insert in the handle popped out, and the light panel is loose, I need to remove the outer shell to see how I can re-secure things.

Do you have any advice for separating the two halves of the shell? Just remove the visible screws and that's it?

It appears the battery/board compartments and the top compartment (containing the lights, USB, power switch, charge port) are separated besides some cable holes?

Did water only get into the top one, or also the side ones and you luckily avoided a shorted wheel and a cut out?

Anyways, I can fully understand the urge to force your wheel through snow/slush and up and down hills, exactly what I did once and it was the most fun I've had with the wheel yet.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I would be very nervous about riding my Monster down such steep hills. With other wheels, not such a problem if you lose control. But with the Monster, it weights so much and is not constructed out of the most toughest of plastics, it doesn't do well when it hits the ground hard.

Thanks for the pictures.

From a previous crash where the plastic insert in the handle popped out, and the light panel is loose, I need to remove the outer shell to see how I can re-secure things.

Do you have any advice for separating the two halves of the shell? Just remove the visible screws and that's it?

My handle also broke on an impact in a similar spot as you said it is not the most robust case.  There are no hidden screws as such.  I just removed the side panels, unplugged the batteries (too much unbridled energy to free by accident) and removed them.  It is not really necessary to pull the batteries if they are glued down but it does make it easier to deal with.  There are screws on both sides of the top handle that need to be removed and I pulled the inner case on the none control board side ( there are a pile of screws holding it on the pedal but they are easy to get at.  The two halves slide together and are easy to slide apart.  Removing the little corner tabs gave more access to the inside of the handle.  It took me a couple of hours from start to finish as I was looking for any signs of faults in connections and wires.  Have fun

26 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

My handle also broke on an impact in a similar spot as you said it is not the most robust case.  There are no hidden screws as such.  I just removed the side panels, unplugged the batteries (too much unbridled energy to free by accident) and removed them.  It is not really necessary to pull the batteries if they are glued down but it does make it easier to deal with.  There are screws on both sides of the top handle that need to be removed and I pulled the inner case on the none control board side ( there are a pile of screws holding it on the pedal but they are easy to get at.  The two halves slide together and are easy to slide apart.  Removing the little corner tabs gave more access to the inside of the handle.  It took me a couple of hours from start to finish as I was looking for any signs of faults in connections and wires.  Have fun

Thanks. I'll give it a shot soon. I'm not really interested in a full tear-down like you did, I just want to try and get the handle pieces secured again. They don't look like they are broken, but I suspect some of the screws were pulled out, stripping their threads in the process.

Good to know about the ineffectiveness of the Monster water sealing. Fortunately it rains rarely where I live, therefore when it does rain I'm not inclined to go outside. I'm a fair weather rider B)

On 4/9/2017 at 8:19 PM, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

I had a goal to make it to a radio tower at the top of a mountain behind my place.  

Are you a ham?

9 hours ago, jrkline said:

Are you a ham?

@jrkline no I'm not a ham (although my wife would probably argue differently) but it is on my hit list of things to do:-)  I should have said Cell tower.  I used to be a radio tech many, many (did I say many) years ago and had to service broken equipment on similar towers. I guess old habits die hard which is why I referred to it as a radio tower.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. I'll give it a shot soon. I'm not really interested in a full tear-down like you did, I just want to try and get the handle pieces secured again. They don't look like they are broken, but I suspect some of the screws were pulled out, stripping their threads in the process.

@Marty Backe when my handle separated I was able to just loosen the top screws on both sides and gently coax the two sides apart until things snapped back into place.  Although the shell feels pretty solid when everything is locked together, experience shows that under duress there is flexibility.  The is a good thing is it allow things to move instead of break.  Something about a blade of grass bending in the wind versus a tree branch that resists and breaks...sorry about that my sleep deprivation is kicking in:-)

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Some other known spots for water to come in:

The Motherboard is screwed onto the plastic Shell with the heatsink directing to the wheel/tyre side,  a Silicon lip "should" protect the heatsink/board from getting water into the Shell.

But there are two known ways water can get in:

First is when a screw of the heatsink gets loose, then the Silicon lip will not be squeezed enough anymore

Second is when the heatsink gets that hot that it warms/deforms the Silicon lip, so that it is not waterproof anymore.

Take a look or take care there also.

That the powerbutton,when getting wet, will not let you power off the wheel is a known Symptome also.

Better as otherwise, if it would power off when wet is much worse :-)

You can shut off the wheel by laying it just on it's side, not needed to let it run into a cut-off :-)

Awesome tips!  I wondered about the control board as I can see the heat sink exposed on the backside.  I fully agree with the power button failing on as the other option is falling off:-)  Laying the Monster on its side would have been a bit easier than wrangling and angry spinning wheel until it goes to sleep:thumbup:

43 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

@Marty Backe when my handle separated I was able to just loosen the top screws on both sides and gently coax the two sides apart until things snapped back into place.  Although the shell feels pretty solid when everything is locked together, experience shows that under duress there is flexibility.  The is a good thing is it allow things to move instead of break.  Something about a blade of grass bending in the wind versus a tree branch that resists and breaks...sorry about that my sleep deprivation is kicking in:-)

Thanks. I'll try that first before I do more disassembly.

8 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

... Something about a blade of grass bending in the wind versus a tree branch that resists and breaks...sorry about that my sleep deprivation is kicking in:-)

“The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.”

― Confucius must have ridden a Gotway

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

You can shut off the wheel by laying it just on it's side, not needed to let it run into a cut-off :-)

I never knew that, tried it just now with the Ninebot, laid it on it's side, it started beeping and the lights were flashing red, when I stood it up the power was shut off.  Great tip, thanks!

10 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I never knew that, tried it just now with the Ninebot, laid it on it's side, it started beeping and the lights were flashing red, when I stood it up the power was shut off.  Great tip, thanks!

GW and KS behave like this:

Lay them on the side...they beep sometimes....and then go into a "break", power off...when you stood them up again...they automatically will power up again :-)

9 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

@jrkline no I'm not a ham (although my wife would probably argue differently) but it is on my hit list of things to do:-)  I should have said Cell tower.  I used to be a radio tech many, many (did I say many) years ago and had to service broken equipment on similar towers. I guess old habits die hard which is why I referred to it as a radio tower.

Well if you ever get a license,let me know and we can do some DX'in.:D KI6IER is my callsign.

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

GW and KS behave like this:

Lay them on the side...they beep sometimes....and then go into a "break", power off...when you stood them up again...they automatically will power up again :-)

Thanks, just tried it again, the Ninebot will automatically power up again unless it lays on it's side for a longer time, like 20-21 beeps.  Then when stood up, it still is off.  If I leave it on it's side for 29 beeps, it goes bebeep, and shuts off while on it's side laying down.  Now I know what to do if the power button stops working.:thumbup:

Apparently, it didn't shut off completely, it just went to sleep mode.  It just now beeped twice like it does when it is leaning against the wall with the power on and it shuts off after about 5 minutes of inactivity.:confused1:

Edited by steve454

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

“The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.”

― Confucius must have ridden a Gotway

Awesome, Awesome, awesome!  Before I had the lesson now I have the lesson plan.  Thank you.