The Agony of Defeat with my Monster

Marty Backe

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Speaking of crashes (poor Marty), has anyone purposely knocked a fellow rider off their unicycle all in the name of fun and sport?

I'm thinking a jousting contest would be extremely fun and appropriate use of unicycles.

The unicycle football league here in Texas using jousting for their "coin flip". My buddy who plays in the league wants to do electric unicycle jousting also. Can't embed the video but the jousting starts at 3:55.

https://youtu.be/hReydsMsURs?t=3m55s

50 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

The unicycle football league here in Texas using jousting for their "coin flip". My buddy who plays in the league wants to do electric unicycle jousting also. Can't embed the video but the jousting starts at 3:55.

I've never knocked someone off an EUC on purpose and I don't know about EUC jousting; but I would love to do some "Wheelsplat", A.K.A. paintball on EUC.I just don't know if any of the So Cali riders would be interested.I do have a liitle experience though.Occasionally I ride down an ally at dusk in a seedy area prone to taggers and last week I was carrying a small paintball pistol I sometimes use for target practice.It just so happened that I saw some guy with a spray can doing his graffiti. So I decided it was the right time to "tag the tagger".I have not seen him in the ally since.:D

2 hours ago, jrkline said:

I I don't know about EUC jousting; but I would love to do some "Wheelsplat", A.K.A. paintball on EUC.

That sounds like awesome fun.  Zero contact allowed. Everyone is armed with a paint gun on an open field and they've got to achieve some goal (or "die" trying).  I can imagine some incredible evasive maneuvers.  Somebody write up the rules of the game, because I'm IN!

Sorry Marty for hijacking your thread.  Hope you feel better soon. Been there, and I know what a bummer it is for a while.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:53 PM, Marty Backe said:

My whole body is starting to stiffen up as I type this :crying:  Unfortunately there's no video.

I was cruising with my Monster to some good tunes on a very nice curvy sidewalk. Probably 15mph max - the tunes were definitely pumping up my speed :facepalm:

There was an outside curve that had hedges pruned right up to the edge of the sidewalk. You know where this is going right :cry2: 

Just as I was thinking my speed was a tiny bit too fast for the curve and the bushes seemed like they might juuuuust brush my feet - Bam! The left pedal caught, the wheel stopped, and I flew off the right side, twisting as I caught some air. Landed on my right and slid on the adjacent dirt/grass very hard. Kind of knocked the breath out of me and for a couple of seconds I thought that this might be the fall where I break something (something personal, like a bone). I lay there for 15 seconds and then slowly started moving, not wanting to injure something worse in case I was broken.

After about 5 minutes of very slow movements I was able to climb back on the Monster (which seemed to be unscathed) and limp home. My right hip, groin, ribs, arm, and shoulder feel like they participated in a Monday Night football game, without my permission.

The one positive take away is the reaffirmation to wear full protection when I'm going to be out riding fast. In this case I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, gloves, elbow and knee pads, and my helmet (which I wear even when I'm not going fast).

Tomorrow is not going to be fun :(

A good crash is one where you can walk away @Marty Backe.  Sounds like you dodged a bullet, and wishing you a fast convalescence!   

15 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

That looks like great fun. I can see the great danger to people's face and eyes from that, when they did that for real. My local art museum has an arms and armor section with a jousting helmet that looks very thick and beat to hell. It is not possible to see out of the helmet when it is held level.

19 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Speaking of crashes (poor Marty), has anyone purposely knocked a fellow rider off their unicycle all in the name of fun and sport?

I'm thinking a jousting contest would be extremely fun and appropriate use of unicycles.

I did it in a street performance long time ago, was really fun for the audience and bit challenging for us. They was classics unicycles but works similar.

Sorry about your crash @Marty Backe I'm afraid this is really easy to happen,  me was in the first week with a foot locked in a parked car weel when I drove about 10 km/h and it was shocking. Too fast crash for my reflexes result in a short belly sliding thought the pavement, no scratch or injuries but my shoulder was hurting a couple of months. 

Hope you recover soon

I'm hoping crashes don't occur in cycles of 3, because I'm now recovering from a second crash, this time on my cheapo $200 generic wheel. Using it at work to commute between buildings, it cut out on me as I dropped about 1" onto a rough asphalt roadway. That added resistance was apparently too much for this wheel. I wasn't going fast (impossible with this wheel) but I wasn't expecting it. Road rash on my palms and a bloody knee and additional stress on my already injured ribs and groin. I was at work so I was not wearing any padding. I feel like I'm about 90 years old right now ;)

Just goes to show you that speed is not an essential element in getting injured on an EUC.

Ouch... :(  You've angered the Gotway Gods somehow by not praying to them enough and now switching to a non-Gotway generic wheel.  Better say some "Hail Gotways" and repent your sins!  Hope you heal up fast.  I had some minor pain raising my left arm up high after my slow fall even with all the protective gear on.  

44 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe  The GW Gods simply hate you wearing all of that protective gear! They want your trust!. :innocent1: Try riding around naked for awhile. I bet the accidents will stop!:facepalm:

:D  Video at 9...    One of the moderators, please create a new Nudist forum

25 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ouch. Well.. get better. Again:P

The only good thing I can say here, both crashes seem to be "blame the rider", not unpredictable technical issues.

Actually, the 2nd failure is a technical issue - woefully underpowered wheel dumps rider without warning 

59 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe  The GW Gods simply hate you wearing all of that protective gear! They want your trust!. :innocent1: Try riding around naked for awhile. I bet the accidents will stop!:facepalm:

Um, I'm not sure if all the accidents will stop, but at least Marty might not be the one involved.    :whistling:

<Driving my new Toyota Camry... sees naked man riding Gotway wheel backwards.... Camry crashes into brick wall  :crying:>

42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Um, I'm not sure if all the accidents will stop, but at least Marty might not be the one involved.    :whistling:

<Driving my new Toyota Camry... sees naked man riding Gotway wheel backwards.... Camry crashes into brick wall  :crying:>

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

:D  Video at 9...    One of the moderators, please create a new Nudist forum

Derailing 101:

1st Marty Monster Crash-----> "Hope you feel better" ----> 2nd Marty crash----->"Sorry about your crash" ----> GW Gods pissed off----> Nudist rider----> Nudist Forum---->distracted Hunka---->Camry Crashs into brick wall----> this stuff is Priceless!!:cheers:

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Derailing 101:

1st Marty Monster Crash-----> "Hope you feel better" ----> 2nd Marty crash----->"Sorry about your crash" ----> GW Gods pissed off----> Nudist rider----> Nudist Forum---->distracted Hunka---->Camry Crashs into brick wall----> this stuff is Priceless!!:cheers:

I must say, your summary is very funny when put into a timeline like that :laughbounce2:

On 11/04/2017 at 0:10 AM, jrkline said:

I already mentioned it earlier in this thread.See 1st page.

I think you didn't give any hints on the wiring for the battery mod. I am also wondering whether there is just simple a Y connector to buy or...?   

On 4/9/2017 at 7:53 PM, Marty Backe said:

My whole body is starting to stiffen up as I type this :crying:  Unfortunately there's no video.

I was cruising with my Monster to some good tunes on a very nice curvy sidewalk. Probably 15mph max - the tunes were definitely pumping up my speed :facepalm:

There was an outside curve that had hedges pruned right up to the edge of the sidewalk. You know where this is going right :cry2: 

Just as I was thinking my speed was a tiny bit too fast for the curve and the bushes seemed like they might juuuuust brush my feet - Bam! The left pedal caught, the wheel stopped, and I flew off the right side, twisting as I caught some air. Landed on my right and slid on the adjacent dirt/grass very hard. Kind of knocked the breath out of me and for a couple of seconds I thought that this might be the fall where I break something (something personal, like a bone). I lay there for 15 seconds and then slowly started moving, not wanting to injure something worse in case I was broken.

After about 5 minutes of very slow movements I was able to climb back on the Monster (which seemed to be unscathed) and limp home. My right hip, groin, ribs, arm, and shoulder feel like they participated in a Monday Night football game, without my permission.

The one positive take away is the reaffirmation to wear full protection when I'm going to be out riding fast. In this case I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, gloves, elbow and knee pads, and my helmet (which I wear even when I'm not going fast).

Tomorrow is not going to be fun :(

Oh no! Sorry to hear this Marty! I dropped my S1 about the same time. It spun around and the foot peddle took a decent chunk out of my shin. A few days later I had a nice infection. I am just finishing a ten day course of antibiotics. I hope by now you are healing well. 

21 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Oh no! Sorry to hear this Marty! I dropped my S1 about the same time. It spun around and the foot peddle took a decent chunk out of my shin. A few days later I had a nice infection. I am just finishing a ten day course of antibiotics. I hope by now you are healing well. 

Thanks, and sorry to hear of your mishap. It's amazing how much damage pedals can do. When I was learning my ankle got whacked by a spinning wheel and it took months before it was fully healed.

It's been about two weeks now and I'm doing much better, but I still can't walk without pain from the groin. I have a feeling it's going to be a few more weeks :(

:cheers:

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks, and sorry to hear of your mishap. It's amazing how much damage pedals can do. When I was learning my ankle got whacked by a spinning wheel and it took months before it was fully healed.

It's been about two weeks now and I'm doing much better, but I still can't walk without pain from the groin. I have a feeling it's going to be a few more weeks :(

:cheers:

Oh wow.. did you get checked out to make sure something isn't broken, or are you the John Wayne of unicycles and too durn tough for that? ?

Best wishes for a full recovery. The EUC world needs some fresh MB Vids!

29 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Oh wow.. did you get checked out to make sure something isn't broken, or are you the John Wayne of unicycles and too durn tough for that? ?

Best wishes for a full recovery. The EUC world needs some fresh MB Vids!

John Wayne - I like that image :) I'm the kind of guy that if I can walk it must not be too bad. Things get a little better every day so no real harm must have occurred. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

John Wayne - I like that image :) I'm the kind of guy that if I can walk it must not be too bad. Things get a little better every day so no real harm must have occurred. Thanks.

Get better.  ibuprophen is magical. Specially for inflation of muscles and joints. 

Archived