The Agony of Defeat with my Monster

Marty Backe

My whole body is starting to stiffen up as I type this :crying:  Unfortunately there's no video.

I was cruising with my Monster to some good tunes on a very nice curvy sidewalk. Probably 15mph max - the tunes were definitely pumping up my speed :facepalm:

There was an outside curve that had hedges pruned right up to the edge of the sidewalk. You know where this is going right :cry2: 

Just as I was thinking my speed was a tiny bit too fast for the curve and the bushes seemed like they might juuuuust brush my feet - Bam! The left pedal caught, the wheel stopped, and I flew off the right side, twisting as I caught some air. Landed on my right and slid on the adjacent dirt/grass very hard. Kind of knocked the breath out of me and for a couple of seconds I thought that this might be the fall where I break something (something personal, like a bone). I lay there for 15 seconds and then slowly started moving, not wanting to injure something worse in case I was broken.

After about 5 minutes of very slow movements I was able to climb back on the Monster (which seemed to be unscathed) and limp home. My right hip, groin, ribs, arm, and shoulder feel like they participated in a Monday Night football game, without my permission.

The one positive take away is the reaffirmation to wear full protection when I'm going to be out riding fast. In this case I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, gloves, elbow and knee pads, and my helmet (which I wear even when I'm not going fast).

Tomorrow is not going to be fun :(

When I fell, I was traveling at considerably less than 15 mph, and I was not wearing protective gear, and I fell on my right side, as did you.  The major damage that I received was from my own elbow invading my ribs, from a bounce on the right side.  My own elbow almost broke my ribs.  In my case, I'm afraid that elbow protection would have made that accident much worse.  The X-Rays showed my ribs unbroken, though they felt broken to me.  They certainly were bruised. 

Again, I hope you find yourself to be whole, Marty.  (My fall was nothing like a fall at 15 mph!)  I almost can't imagine that.  Best wishes, and wishing you best of luck.

And...  Cheers!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My whole body is starting to stiffen up as I type this :crying:  Unfortunately there's no video.

I was cruising with my Monster to some good tunes on a very nice curvy sidewalk. Probably 15mph max - the tunes were definitely pumping up my speed :facepalm:

There was an outside curve that had hedges pruned right up to the edge of the sidewalk. You know where this is going right :cry2: 

Just as I was thinking my speed was a tiny bit too fast for the curve and the bushes seemed like they might juuuuust brush my feet - Bam! The left pedal caught, the wheel stopped, and I flew off the right side, twisting as I caught some air. Landed on my right and slid on the adjacent dirt/grass very hard. Kind of knocked the breath out of me and for a couple of seconds I thought that this might be the fall where I break something (something personal, like a bone). I lay there for 15 seconds and then slowly started moving, not wanting to injure something worse in case I was broken.

After about 5 minutes of very slow movements I was able to climb back on the Monster (which seemed to be unscathed) and limp home. My right hip, groin, ribs, arm, and shoulder feel like they participated in a Monday Night football game, without my permission.

The one positive take away is the reaffirmation to wear full protection when I'm going to be out riding fast. In this case I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, gloves, elbow and knee pads, and my helmet (which I wear even when I'm not going fast).

Sounds like it was a rough weekend to ride Monsters.  I tumbled down a few hills on mine.  Once when I was falling through the air I noticed my finger was between the wheel and the case. I managed to pull the finger out before the Monster began to freewheel and before we hit the ground.  I ended up with a nice slice on my finger and bruises in places a man my age shouldn't. I feel you pain and hope you didn't hurt anything to badly.  All I can say is ride on:-)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Here's something that'll make you feel better.I was out riding my newly enhanced (940wh) KS-16 since I just received it 2 days ago after having to leave it at the Hong Kong airport last Oct. due to the Einsteins working the Air Canada counter not allowing me to check a batteryless wheel on the plane.                                                                                                            

So Friday I decided to hit Starbucks and Home depot on my long lost wheel and was on my way back home doing 10-12 mph on the sidewalk.The next thing I know,bam.The wheel stops dead and me and my mocha frapp are horizontal on the sidewalk.I survived with nothing more than a tiny scrape on the right elbow and a bruise to my ego,however the frapp wasn't so lucky.This was all due to one doorstop sized rock laying right in the middle of the sidewalk which I some how failed to see.^_^So cheer up and keep on rollin' 'cause we all be a fallin now and then.:)

10 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Here's something that'll make you feel better.I was out riding my newly enhanced (940wh) KS-16 since I just received it 2 days ago after having to leave it at the Hong Kong airport last Oct. due to the Einsteins working the Air Canada counter not allowing me to check a batteryless wheel on the plane.                                                                                                            

So Friday I decided to hit Starbucks and Home depot on my long lost wheel and was on my way back home doing 10-12 mph on the sidewalk.The next thing I know,bam.The wheel stops dead and me and my mocha frapp are horizontal on the sidewalk.I survived with nothing more than a tiny scrape on the right elbow and a bruise to my ego,however the frapp wasn't so lucky.This was all due to one doorstop sized rock laying right in the middle of the sidewalk which I some how failed to see.^_^So cheer up and keep on rollin' 'cause we all be a fallin now and then.:)

Glad you finally got your wheel. Maybe we all need to fall every once in awhile to remind us periodically that this pastime is not without risks

3 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Sounds like it was a rough weekend to ride Monsters.  I tumbled down a few hills on mine.  Once when I was falling through the air I noticed my finger was between the wheel and the case. I managed to pull the finger out before the Monster began to freewheel and before we hit the ground.  I ended up with a nice slice on my finger and bruises in places a man my age shouldn't. I feel you pain and hope you didn't hurt anything to badly.  All I can say is ride on:-)

Maybe you had a worse weekend then me :cheers:

4 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

Ouch, you can do the same catching the pedal on a curb, same results...Even caught a curb on a bike....Stay safe avoid everything....Cycle in a big bubble...?? (We need an emoji for eus) 

Agreed; we can live life or exist safely in a bubble

4 hours ago, dpong said:

When I fell, I was traveling at considerably less than 15 mph, and I was not wearing protective gear, and I fell on my right side, as did you.  The major damage that I received was from my own elbow invading my ribs, from a bounce on the right side.  My own elbow almost broke my ribs.  In my case, I'm afraid that elbow protection would have made that accident much worse.  The X-Rays showed my ribs unbroken, though they felt broken to me.  They certainly were bruised. 

Again, I hope you find yourself to be whole, Marty.  (My fall was nothing like a fall at 15 mph!)  I almost can't imagine that.  Best wishes, and wishing you best of luck.

And...  Cheers!

I was wondering what almost broke my ribs. I guess it was my elbow pad being pushed into the ribs.  I'll be fine (no broken bones), but man am I stiffening up :(

5 hours ago, dpong said:

For tonight, I recommend a modicum of booze, let's call it a muscle relaxant. 

I do have some nice aged Tequila :innocent1: 

2 hours ago, Tjtripp said:

Damn.  Sorry to hear this.  Glad you were protected.  It could have been worse.  Im definitely going to wear from now on. 

It's really not that bad - just thought some of you would enjoy a good crash story. No broken bones or torn skin serves the purpose of reminding ones self of the risks that we partake in, and to act accordingly.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

There's a saying on this forum somewhere that goes along the lines "there are only two types of EUC rider - those that have already fallen off, and those that are going to fall off".

Welcome to the rather non-exclusive club, hope you heal up soon! :facepalm: 

Thanks.

Yeah, that's a good EUC proverb. Sadly this isn't my first fall, but I think it may be my worst one yet. It's already starting to take me about 2 minutes to get out of my chair :unsure:

Just a few days ago, I fell. I stepped onto the wheel, didn't have good balance, tried to save it, failed, and fell! Fortunately neither I nor the wheel (IPS Lhotz) were hurt. I'm still not sure exactly what went wrong!

Sorry about your accident! Glad your Ok!  :thumbup: You will be sore! As Art Linkletter used to quote" If you wake up in the morning and have no pain...your dead".:)

Wondering..did you do forget to pray to the Gotway Gods? :confused1: 

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry about your accident! Glad your Ok!  :thumbup: You will be sore! As Art Linkletter used to quote" If you wake up in the morning and have no pain...your dead".:)

Wondering..did you do forget to pray to the Gotway Gods? :confused1: 

He must have been thinking about his KS-14c which is a no no for the "First Prime of Gotway".:D

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

@jrkline Can you give some insight's how you upgraded your KS16 to a bigger Batterie size? Very interested! :-)

Simple really.Had a couple 132wh battery packs lying around so I pryed off the rubber shin pads and cut away the plastic side beneath and stuck a battery on each side to the existing battery pack and then put the shin pads back on with some rubber stripping around the side of each shin pad to fill the gap.They stick out about 3/4 of an inch more than before but I don't really notice any difference riding the wheel.                                                                                                                                                                                                        IKSmxIJ.jpgHere you can see the rubber stripping and thicker shin pads.

Ouch Marty, glad you didn't hurt yourself too much! Though the bad part is, even with no real injuries, the "shock" (not sure how to put it better) and feeling of vulnerability (especially if you have some bruises) dampens your mood for the next few days. Only therapy is, just go riding anyways;)

@Merrittous MonoWheel Your story is why these finger, heel and toe slicer wheels scare the f**k out of me. Worst offender is the 26'' Milbay prototype you can see on Youtube, might as well hack your hand or foot off now and get it over with. But even the msuper V3 creeps me out with the holes in the motor/tire supporting disk. One more reason I like the ACM shell so much, neatly covers everything.

Glad you ok Marty, hope you well soon. I faceplant 3 weeks ago, same like you felt at sidewalk when hit a bus stop bench, did not wear elbow pad, bad road rash. All good again and just start ride again this morning. I will wear all pads every time now.

Speaking of crashes (poor Marty), has anyone purposely knocked a fellow rider off their unicycle all in the name of fun and sport?

I'm thinking a jousting contest would be extremely fun and appropriate use of unicycles.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Speaking of crashes (poor Marty), has anyone purposely knocked a fellow rider off their unicycle all in the name of fun and sport?

I'm thinking a jousting contest would be extremely fun and appropriate use of unicycles.

:shock2:

Archived