Marty Backe

The Agony of Defeat with my Monster

50 posts in this topic

I hope you find yourself whole, Marty.  I have been there, and still lament that this, in the end, continues to be a 'dangerous' sport we are involved in. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For tonight, I recommend a modicum of booze, let's call it a muscle relaxant. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn.  Sorry to hear this.  Glad you were protected.  It could have been worse.  Im definitely going to wear from now on. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

When I fell, I was traveling at considerably less than 15 mph, and I was not wearing protective gear, and I fell on my right side, as did you.  The major damage that I received was from my own elbow invading my ribs, from a bounce on the right side.  My own elbow almost broke my ribs.  In my case, I'm afraid that elbow protection would have made that accident much worse.  The X-Rays showed my ribs unbroken, though they felt broken to me.  They certainly were bruised. 

Again, I hope you find yourself to be whole, Marty.  (My fall was nothing like a fall at 15 mph!)  I almost can't imagine that.  Best wishes, and wishing you best of luck.

And...  Cheers!

Edited by dpong
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch, you can do the same catching the pedal on a curb, same results...Even caught a curb on a bike....Stay safe avoid everything....Cycle in a big bubble...🗨🚴 (We need an emoji for eus) 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Here's something that'll make you feel better.I was out riding my newly enhanced (940wh) KS-16 since I just received it 2 days ago after having to leave it at the Hong Kong airport last Oct. due to the Einsteins working the Air Canada counter not allowing me to check a batteryless wheel on the plane.                                                                                                            

So Friday I decided to hit Starbucks and Home depot on my long lost wheel and was on my way back home doing 10-12 mph on the sidewalk.The next thing I know,bam.The wheel stops dead and me and my mocha frapp are horizontal on the sidewalk.I survived with nothing more than a tiny scrape on the right elbow and a bruise to my ego,however the frapp wasn't so lucky.This was all due to one doorstop sized rock laying right in the middle of the sidewalk which I some how failed to see.^_^So cheer up and keep on rollin' 'cause we all be a fallin now and then.:)

 

Glad you finally got your wheel. Maybe we all need to fall every once in awhile to remind us periodically that this pastime is not without risks

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Sounds like it was a rough weekend to ride Monsters.  I tumbled down a few hills on mine.  Once when I was falling through the air I noticed my finger was between the wheel and the case. I managed to pull the finger out before the Monster began to freewheel and before we hit the ground.  I ended up with a nice slice on my finger and bruises in places a man my age shouldn't. I feel you pain and hope you didn't hurt anything to badly.  All I can say is ride on:-)

Maybe you had a worse weekend then me :cheers:

4 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

Ouch, you can do the same catching the pedal on a curb, same results...Even caught a curb on a bike....Stay safe avoid everything....Cycle in a big bubble...🗨🚴 (We need an emoji for eus) 

Agreed; we can live life or exist safely in a bubble

4 hours ago, dpong said:

When I fell, I was traveling at considerably less than 15 mph, and I was not wearing protective gear, and I fell on my right side, as did you.  The major damage that I received was from my own elbow invading my ribs, from a bounce on the right side.  My own elbow almost broke my ribs.  In my case, I'm afraid that elbow protection would have made that accident much worse.  The X-Rays showed my ribs unbroken, though they felt broken to me.  They certainly were bruised. 

Again, I hope you find yourself to be whole, Marty.  (My fall was nothing like a fall at 15 mph!)  I almost can't imagine that.  Best wishes, and wishing you best of luck.

And...  Cheers!

I was wondering what almost broke my ribs. I guess it was my elbow pad being pushed into the ribs.  I'll be fine (no broken bones), but man am I stiffening up :(

5 hours ago, dpong said:

For tonight, I recommend a modicum of booze, let's call it a muscle relaxant. 

I do have some nice aged Tequila :innocent1: 

Edited by Marty Backe
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tjtripp said:

Damn.  Sorry to hear this.  Glad you were protected.  It could have been worse.  Im definitely going to wear from now on. 

It's really not that bad - just thought some of you would enjoy a good crash story. No broken bones or torn skin serves the purpose of reminding ones self of the risks that we partake in, and to act accordingly.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

There's a saying on this forum somewhere that goes along the lines "there are only two types of EUC rider - those that have already fallen off, and those that are going to fall off".

Welcome to the rather non-exclusive club, hope you heal up soon! :facepalm: 

Thanks.

Yeah, that's a good EUC proverb. Sadly this isn't my first fall, but I think it may be my worst one yet. It's already starting to take me about 2 minutes to get out of my chair :unsure:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a few days ago, I fell. I stepped onto the wheel, didn't have good balance, tried to save it, failed, and fell! Fortunately neither I nor the wheel (IPS Lhotz) were hurt. I'm still not sure exactly what went wrong!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad your ok Marty, the body is amazing it knows how to heal give it time and you will be back on your monster very soon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear you're OK, 
:-)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jrkline Can you give some insight's how you upgraded your KS16 to a bigger Batterie size? Very interested! :-)

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry about your accident! Glad your Ok!  :thumbup: You will be sore! As Art Linkletter used to quote" If you wake up in the morning and have no pain...your dead".:)

Wondering..did you do forget to pray to the Gotway Gods? :confused1: 

 

He must have been thinking about his KS-14c which is a no no for the "First Prime of Gotway".:D

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch Marty, glad you didn't hurt yourself too much! Though the bad part is, even with no real injuries, the "shock" (not sure how to put it better) and feeling of vulnerability (especially if you have some bruises) dampens your mood for the next few days. Only therapy is, just go riding anyways;)

@Merrittous MonoWheel Your story is why these finger, heel and toe slicer wheels scare the f**k out of me. Worst offender is the 26'' Milbay prototype you can see on Youtube, might as well hack your hand or foot off now and get it over with. But even the msuper V3 creeps me out with the holes in the motor/tire supporting disk. One more reason I like the ACM shell so much, neatly covers everything.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of crashes (poor Marty), has anyone purposely knocked a fellow rider off their unicycle all in the name of fun and sport?

I'm thinking a jousting contest would be extremely fun and appropriate use of unicycles.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Speaking of crashes (poor Marty), has anyone purposely knocked a fellow rider off their unicycle all in the name of fun and sport?

I'm thinking a jousting contest would be extremely fun and appropriate use of unicycles.

:shock2:

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now