Gotway Monster Questions for the group

Hi guys, 

I was hoping someone could clear a couple things up for me. About a month ago I received my Gotway Monster 2400w which is an upgrade from my firewheel 779. I love the wheel but have noticed a couple quirks. The first is when I am going down hill or making a sharp turn, I notice the nose tilts down slightly. Is there any way to fix this. I was hoping a firmware was available but can't seem to find a way to upgrade or download a new one. The second is I notice there is a slight play when pushing the wheel forwards and backwards before it self balances. Is this normal? It is really not much, maybe a half cm or so but never had this on any other wheels I have ridden... but also never ridden Gotway before. Your thoughts would be appreciated and if there are any other monster owners that could check theirs that would be helpful. Thanks guys.

when i rode marty's monster the first thing I noticed was of how comfortable it wheel was. It feels like your riding on a Bentley, super smooth. And as for the nose tilting, its nearly impossible to do that to a Gotway unless you really try.

I'm going to buy one too but I'm hoping they come out with one that has 3500wh and black shell. Maybe in a year...Monster v2 :D

13 minutes ago, Aquaneo said:

Hi guys, 

I was hoping someone could clear a couple things up for me. About a month ago I received my Gotway Monster 2400w which is an upgrade from my firewheel 779. I love the wheel but have noticed a couple quirks. The first is when I am going down hill or making a sharp turn, I notice the nose tilts down slightly. Is there any way to fix this. I was hoping a firmware was available but can't seem to find a way to upgrade or download a new one. The second is I notice there is a slight play when pushing the wheel forwards and backwards before it self balances. Is this normal? It is really not much, maybe a half cm or so but never had this on any other wheels I have ridden... but also never ridden Gotway before. Your thoughts would be appreciated and if there are any other monster owners that could check theirs that would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Do a proper calibration!

proper means the wheel has to stand vertically perfect, and horzontal perfect...otherwise you may experience that nose down!

look speedyfeet video how to calibrate properly...because there is only one way to do it right!

When turning, particularly slow speed turns, the nose does dip (very noticeable). All of the Gotway wheels do this to make it easier to perform tight turns. At least to me it seems like a very nice feature. I don't notice anything with high speed turning or when going down hill. My Monster keeps my feet nice and level.

As @KingSong69 suggests, perhaps you need a calibration?

Gotway wheels do not provide a means of upgrading the firmware.

Perfect, thanx Marty. I knew you would come through on this. I have done calibrations but this is my first Gotway brand wheel and was wondering if it was something in the control of the wheel. It makes sense I guess. It's not over the top but was unexpected. I think I have it backwards for the hill thing though. Just went out again and noticed the nose drops on hill climb not descent. Again, this is only really noticeable on slower speeds. Glad to hear that it is intentional and not indicative of a problem brewing. Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated. Otherwise I can say that I truly love this wheel.

23 minutes ago, Aquaneo said:

Perfect, thanx Marty. I knew you would come through on this. I have done calibrations but this is my first Gotway brand wheel and was wondering if it was something in the control of the wheel. It makes sense I guess. It's not over the top but was unexpected. I think I have it backwards for the hill thing though. Just went out again and noticed the nose drops on hill climb not descent. Again, this is only really noticeable on slower speeds. Glad to hear that it is intentional and not indicative of a problem brewing. Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated. Otherwise I can say that I truly love this wheel.

As your first Gotway wheel you were brave and went BIG. Bravo, and glad that you're loving your Monster as much as I am :thumbup: 

1 hour ago, Aquaneo said:

Thank you for bringing this up. My Monster behaves the same way. I'm glad it is not just me. 

31 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Hey @Marty Backe Have you consider the other brands other than GOTWAY?  I feel inmotion and Solowheel seem to put out higher quality. I like my MCM4 but it looks like other brands are offering much higher quality. what are your thoughts?

may buy a V8 for errands around town or a little fun night riding. But otherwise I'm firmly embedded in the Gotway camp. My criteria for a wheel is simple

• At least 30 miles on one charge
  • A minimum speed capability of 20mph
  • A motor powerful enough to climb steep mountain trails

Gotway currently has three wheels that meet my criteria, and I own them. KingSong technically meets them, but just barely. I like to be able to ride at 20 - 23mph and still feel like I have margin. Gotway consistently ticks all of my checkboxes.

I don't know why KingSong doesn't make any performance wheels that match Gotway. I wish they did.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

may buy a V8 for errands around town or a little fun night riding. But otherwise I'm firmly embedded in the Gotway camp. My criteria for a wheel is simple

• At least 30 miles on one charge
  • A minimum speed capability of 20mph
  • A motor powerful enough to climb steep mountain trails

Gotway currently has three wheels that meet my criteria, and I own them. KingSong technically meets them, but just barely. I like to be able to ride at 20 - 23mph and still feel like I have margin. Gotway consistently ticks all of my checkboxes.

I don't know why KingSong doesn't make any performance wheels that match Gotway. I wish they did.

I finally checked the range on my KS18 and I got 55 miles; starting at 100% battery and ending in 20% battery.  According to the app, at 35% the max speed was about 29km/h before the beeping and at 20% the max speed was about 21km/h.  I weigh about 192 lbs.  The first 20 miles was the ride you, Carlos, and I did at the Cogswell Dam. 

Allen

42 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

I finally checked the range on my KS18 and I got 55 miles; starting at 100% battery and ending in 20% battery.  According to the app, at 35% the max speed was about 29km/h before the beeping and at 20% the max speed was about 21km/h.  I weigh about 192 lbs.  The first 20 miles was the ride you, Carlos, and I did at the Cogswell Dam. 

Allen

Those are good numbers. Too bad KingSong puts those speed limits on though. I really like that Gotway doesn't start beeping at you until ~15%

55 miles is a great range though - probably covers 95% of your rides.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know why KingSong doesn't make any performance wheels that match Gotway. I wish the

i dont think you can compare KS and GW at announced speed.....its a different approach..

example: GW V3 (normal)...announced 45kmh...but thats the real end then and it cuts out at 45-46...seen and proved on some vids

KS18AY: Announced 40kmh...where the tiltback kicks in....you are not able to found out "real max" speed

Ks16s: tiltback on 35kmh...i have seen video where someone ride on tiltback with 39 kmh...but faster is not possible

what i want to say is...they let not near you the cutout speed, did not announce the "real absolut" max and do all that your wheel never cutsout!

As i have heard, the owner said he will NOT/Never bring out a wheel faster 40kmh...as he is all working for safety and reliability and not for speed...(from wheelies-singapore)

i am myself not happy with all of KS's direction they take...for example the new 1500Watt KS18 40kmh...

If they would have pack that in a Ks14d/16 style shell...i guess it would be a burner....but in the same ugly shell again? Really? Come on!

I hope beginn of June i will buy a Ks16s...and then will be able to tell on which wheel i feel better at 30-35kmh...my v3.. or the Ks16s? As i did hear the 80%alarm of my v3 (36-37kmh) about 3 times in the last 7months...i would say for ME 35kmh on a 16/18" is enough...(22"is certainly a different thing!)

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i dont think you can compare KS and GW at announced speed.....its a different approach..

example: GW V3 (normal)...announced 45kmh...but thats the real end then and it cuts out at 45-46...seen and proved on some vids

KS18AY: Announced 40kmh...where the tiltback kicks in....you are not able to found out "real max" speed

Ks16s: tiltback on 35kmh...i have seen video where someone ride on tiltback with 39 kmh...but faster is not possible

what i want to say is...they let not near you the cutout speed, did not announce the "real absolut" max and do all that your wheel never cutsout!

As i have heard, the owner said he will NOT/Never bring out a wheel faster 40kmh...as he is all working for safety and reliability and not for speed...(from wheelies-singapore)

i am myself not happy with all of KS's direction they take...for example the new 1500Watt KS18 40kmh...

If they would have pack that in a Ks14d/16 style shell...i guess it would be a burner....but in the same ugly shell again? Really? Come on!

I hope beginn of June i will buy a Ks16s...and then will be able to tell on which wheel i feel better at 30-35kmh...my v3.. or the Ks16s? As i did hear the 80%alarm of my v3 (36-37kmh) about 3 times in the last 7months...i would say for ME 35kmh on a 16/18" is enough...(22"is certainly a different thing!)

Interesting read. Look forward to your KS16s observations.

I did ride @abinder3's KS18 during our Cogswell group ride and I found it a lot more comfortable after having used the Monster. 6 months ago I rode one for a little bit and found it be awkward since it felt so tall. But after getting used to the Monster, the KS18 now seems OK. But like you, I do wish they had a lower profile version of it.

Finally, the KS18 didn't feel as powerful as the the MSuper V3, but I don't think it had a 1500w motor.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Those are good numbers. Too bad KingSong puts those speed limits on though. I really like that Gotway doesn't start beeping at you until ~15%

55 miles is a great range though - probably covers 95% of your rides.

I agree. 

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Interesting read. Look forward to your KS16s observations.

I did ride @abinder3's KS18 during our Cogswell group ride and I found it a lot more comfortable after having used the Monster. 6 months ago I rode one for a little bit and found it be awkward since it felt so tall. But after getting used to the Monster, the KS18 now seems OK. But like you, I do wish they had a lower profile version of it.

Finally, the KS18 didn't feel as powerful as the the MSuper V3, but I don't think it had a 1500w motor.

No. My KS18 has a 1200w motor. 

Supposedly, the upcoming KS18 will have a 1500w motor. 

Allen

Archived