Phoenix downtown ride, May 6, 2017

Ombre

Our first group ride in Mesa and Tempe was great fun, so we're planning another.  This time we're riding downtown Phoenix, exploring the Capitol area and downtown.

MEET at Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza, north parking lot:  https://goo.gl/YkfM8O

After riding the park and capitol grounds, we'll cruise to Chase field (about 2 miles) and then roam the downtown aimlessly like a bunch of bored teenage Yuppie offspring.  Stops may include Heritage Square, Downtown ASU, Cartel Coffee Lab (good cold brew coffee & recharge opportunity), etc.  Might even get as far north as the Margaret T Hance Park (next to Japanese Friendship Garden).

TIME:  Because it's likely to get pretty hot, we will start early.  8:00 am OK with you guys?

It's likely we'll be out long enough to break for lunch (another recharge opportunity).  We'll stop riding when the last guy bails out.

BRING the usual stuff (water, cash, charger or spare battery, sunscreen) plus an appetite for urban adventure.  We'll probably cover 10-14 miles.    Camera, snacks, pepper spray optional.

RSVP on this thread please!

-------------------------------

Arizona riders invited, not confirmed:

@Playarider @Clovis  @Xelvic   @Baldy  @cesar1047  @MagicCow  @Jerry388d  @AGENT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My daughter will join up with her new-to-her Inmotion V5F+, if it arrives early enough on Friday.  She won't have a lot of experience with it so she'll probably do just a few miles, but I'm psyched that she has graduated from the "training wheel" X3 and can now ride with the "big boys".

Thanks to @houseofjob for selling it to us and shipping it promptly!

Packing up now!  Emma's V5F+ showed up yesterday but she hasn't had a chance to ride it yet.  I gave it a "test ride" to check it out because I'm such a nice guy. 

Looks like we actually got a break on the weather, only 93 degrees tomorrow.  Glad it wasn't today (103 degrees).

1 hour ago, Ombre said:

only 93 degrees tomorrow

Yep, sounds a lot better than 100+ degrees. The wind might be picking up a bit in the late morning, so it might make things a bit interesting!

Hey Guys,

Don't know if you'll read this thread before the ride tomorrow (Saturday).  It's 11pm and I'm at work right now and feeling unusually more tired and sleepy.  Based on the way I feel now, I won't be able to join you guys on the ride tomorrow.  Don't want to fall alseep while riding my EUC (if that's possible).  Have fun and hopefully I'll meet up with you guys during another ride.

@Clovis, hope to see you on the next ride. We won't clue you in on how much fun it was, as that would be unnecessarily cruel!       :whistling:

it was actually a safe and fun ride until somebody who shall remain nameless (right, @Playarider?) Pulled out a Nerf football and thought it would add a little more fun to an already uber-fun day! Video at 10. Stay tuned.

5 hours ago, dbfrese said:

@Clovis, hope to see you on the next ride. We won't clue you in on how much fun it was, as that would be unnecessarily cruel!       :whistling:

Huh.  Maybe YOU won't, but I will!  :P

It was AWESOME!  I was having so much fun I forgot to video most of it.  I'll post something a little later just as a sample.

Highlights:

• @dbfrese crashing spectacularly while trying to toss a Nerf football (and we've got that on video!)
  • surprisingly nice weather downtown
  • getting yelled at by a parking garage security guard
  • Emma managing a tricky section through a park sculpture that nobody else could/would do
  • coffee and chat at Cartel for an hour
  • riding right through someone's wedding photo shoot (oops!). They were actually cool with it.
  • riding through the Saturday farmer's market
  • me crashing while trying to pick up a pine cone left temptingly on the ground by @Playarider  (in case you haven't figured out, he causes all the trouble)
  • about a hundred people all over downtown saying things like "Hey what's that?"  "That's sharp, man!"  "Do you have a spare?"  etc

This might be the last group ride for us this season, but we are already talking about picking up again October or November for a Tucson ride.

Yep. Great ride.  It was fun to explore the downtown area.  Lots of (unexpected) shade and tons of public art to see.  Had some great one wheel carving opportunities and a lot of ramps of various sizes to hit.  Weather was actually perfect ( I think) and had a nice break for recharging and conversation.   Couple of crashes by those that shall remain nameless.   Blame it on animaginary foot ball or pine cones, but I'm thinking....... operator error.              Emma rode like a veteran one wheeler and I was impressed with her abilities.  Hope she makes it to the next group ride.  Looking forward to the Tucson group ride in a few months. Gives you old crash victims time to lick your wounds and recover from your injuries.  Ha.

Sounds like everyone had an amazing time.. I had a blast dealing with irate customers cussing me out on that beautiful Saturday weekend, because their money was not going to post till Monday. Hopefully I can make the Tucson ride and get the time off..

So my wife insisted I go to the urgent care place last Saturday after last week's EUC-football debacle. She insisted I broke a bone, but they took x-rays rays and initially said that everything looked ok, giving me gloating rights all week, despite persistent pain in my wrist.

Well, the clinic called back today, and the radiologist's report says I indeed have a fracture of my scaphoid bone. My wife actually CHEERED, being overjoyed at the news that she was right all along. :efee565ab0:

We went back, got a heavier duty brace for my wrist. Now I just have to let it rest for a few weeks while it heals.

Here's the radiograph. You can see the hairline fracture through the large bone in the lower right hand quadrant of the photo, about ⅔ of the way up from the bottom of that bone. My first break in 56 years!  :thumbup:

20170513_113523.jpg

....................  wait a sec .......................

[OK, I've stopped laughing now.]

First off I think you should contact a lawyer.  You probably have the basis for a strong case against  @Playarider for tempting you with that Nerf football.  :D  (But who knew they could be so DANGEROUS?)

Second, it is clear you have been married a long time!  My wife would have done the same :clap3: so you have my sympathy there.

Third, get well soon!  We need you for the next ride in the fall! 

On 5/9/2017 at 5:58 AM, Playarider said:

Looking forward to the Tucson group ride in a few months. Gives you old crash victims time to lick your wounds and recover from your injuries.  Ha.

Wow, this post looks even more relevant now.... :D

Archived