Deep experience with GT16

da_toni

Hello everyone,

i wanted to open a new topic related to all Rockwheel  GT16 owners and for those who are willing to get one.

I've ordered for my girlfriend from AliExpress (Rockwheel Store, mr. Yi Chen) a GT16 84V with 858Wh and we hope to get the wheel within the next 3 weeks. The reason to buy an GT16 instead of Inmotion V8 or Kingsong KS16 (-S) was the sporty and completely different design.

Also the capacity of the battery and the good experience including trust to the seller was one reason to order the wheel "blind". I hope we do not get  disappointed with our choice.

To bridge that time I wanted to know your experience about the GT16.

Is it durable?

How does it look like with additional firmware updates, is there a possibility with bluetooth and smartphone app?

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experiences and insights with us so far.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, da_toni said:

Hello everyone,

i wanted to open a new topic related to all Rockwheel  GT16 owners and for those who are willing to get one.

I've ordered for my girlfriend from AliExpress (Rockwheel Store, mr. Yi Chen) a GT16 84V with 858Wh and we hope to get the wheel within the next 3 weeks. The reason to buy an GT16 instead of Inmotion V8 or Kingsong KS16 (-S) was the sporty and completely different design.

Also the capacity of the battery and the good experience including trust to the seller was one reason to order the wheel "blind". I hope we do not get  disappointed with our choice.

To bridge that time I wanted to know your experience about the GT16.

Is it durable?

How does it look like with additional firmware updates, is there a possibility with bluetooth and smartphone app?

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experiences and insights with us so far.

We have considered them as an item for our shop pretty extensively but there were a lot of concerns that we have found wih them. Cutout at 40km/h despite being rated with a much higher top speed. Failure after only 100km, I think it was some wires that had melted in that scenario. I wish I had all the links I had found on it. A lot of it stemmed from Facebook pages where people has shared their experiences with the wheel. It is impressive on a technical level but a few kinks stop it from being labelled safe in my mind. If they take the feedback and iron out some of the issues I think it could be a homerun with such an impresive design.

From the video thread, page 112, GT16 video and some interesting discussion afterwards.

I'm also getting the impression Rockwheel might be a bit like Gotway here - first customers are beta testers, the wheel is mostly good but certain things might need to be fixed. [This is just a personal impression based on not much!] But only time (and more people trying the wheel) will tell.

Thanks guys for sharing.

The Video Thread is nice, but sometimes you can loose the overview there... :innocent1:

Beta testing is not that big problem, as long as there is a possibility to update a firmware easily by yourself.

I only had experience with the updating procedure by the Kingsong App on iOS (with KS18A)...

I found on the iOS  AppStore an official Rockwheel App. But I can't find any update button or similar...

Does anyone know if there will be updates and also a possibility to push that onto the GT16?

7 hours ago, Trey Lewis said:

We have considered them as an item for our shop pretty extensively but there were a lot of concerns that we have found wih them. Cutout at 40km/h despite being rated with a much higher top speed. Failure after only 100km, I think it was some wires that had melted in that scenario. I wish I had all the links I had found on it. A lot of it stemmed from Facebook pages where people has shared their experiences with the wheel. It is impressive on a technical level but a few kinks stop it from being labelled safe in my mind. If they take the feedback and iron out some of the issues I think it could be a homerun with such an impresive design.

Hmmm.... I'm just over 100km with my GT16, does that mean I'm in the clear? ;)

If you do find the posts of the GT16 issues, please post them to the forums, thanks! Or which FB pages/groups they were on.

4 hours ago, da_toni said:

I found on the iOS  AppStore an official Rockwheel App. But I can't find any update button or similar...

Does anyone know if there will be updates and also a possibility to push that onto the GT16?

Doesn't seem to be, just like Gotway. KingSong used to be that way too before their big app update.

I'm hoping to just do board swaps when the new and improved GT16 releases.

13 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Hmmm.... I'm just over 100km with my GT16, does that mean I'm in the clear? ;)

If you do find the posts of the GT16 issues, please post them to the forums, thanks! Or which FB pages/groups they were on.

Doesn't seem to be, just like Gotway. KingSong used to be that way too before their big app update.

I'm hoping to just do board swaps when the new and improved GT16 releases.

"Vincent Wmk here in hong kong a group of players got gt16, and a lot of customers queued up, made deposite, just to wait for the said-to-be-great wheel. But recently there are reports of cutoff at 40, gryo out of order after minor cash, etc, and some group-order being cancelled and cash-back... all comes with reasons behind. not to say it is not a great wheel, but reputation needs time to build. check it out and decide at one’s own discretion. speed is not the only reason in choosing a wheel."

This was from the EUC dot Org Facebook page. I will look for the other posts when I am free.

14 hours ago, houseofjob said:

them to the forums, thanks! Or which FB pages/groups they were on.

You could take a look at the french forum....where i found a lot of GT16 

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Not so much real wheels...but many tests of these few ones, yes ! :)

@Trey Lewis Ah, yes, already saw that 40kmh cutoff one, thanks! Never saw the report over melted wires though, might try to find myself then as well~

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Yes, I've been reading all of Esprit Roue & Urban360 GT16 forum reports, is there other ones?

2 hours ago, sbouju said:

Not so much real wheels...but many tests of these few ones, yes ! :)

It's interesting, because, judging from the French reports, it seems my GT16 from AliExpress had some minor fixes based on those test rides.

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

It's interesting, because, judging from the French reports, it seems my GT16 from AliExpress had some minor fixes based on those test rides.

Interesting too... Can you list them ?

1 hour ago, sbouju said:

Interesting too... Can you list them ?

Just going off other reports I found across forums: 

• Apparently the first GT16's had the pads/cushions glued on, but mine are free hanging.
  • Apparently the first GT16's had springier suspension but the small rectangular rubber piece/block wedged inbetween pedal & pedal frame had an issue falling off, causing the pedals to significantly and unintentionally drop in angle.  My GT16 rubber piece seems to be very hard and very much glued into the pedal support to prevent falling out, plus they included 2 replacement pieces. Though, I never experienced the French test units, so I don't know how much springier their's were, or if they included extra pieces; I would be just guessing here.

• 3 weeks later...

First riding experience in the lunch break:

:thumbup:

the Rockwheel App from the apple App Store works fine. Speedlimit, rocker speed, 1st, 2nd 3rd alarm easily adjustable. Bluetooth connectivity easily connected, and after switching of and closing the app and switching back on both it automatically reconnects. ??

Third Party Apps DarknessBot and Gyrometrics work fine too! (Even on Apple Watch)

The wheel is very smooth to ride. Crispy noise is a little bit louder than the Kingsong KS18. (Sounds the same at like the other GT16 which has been already sound recorded and posted in the VIDEO THREAD)

I comfortably rode ~36km/h but it would run even faster. (About 56km/h lift off Speed)

first impression :clap3::dribble:

Archived