Ninebotone E+ App updates

steve454

The new app upgrade 3.7.7 has taken away the slider for setting the suspension sensitivity in increments of 1.  Used to be that you could choose 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,and 9.  Now I can only choose 0,3,6, and 9.  Kind of a bummer, as I was going to change it to 4.  I've been happy riding on 3 for a long time, just tried to change it today and found out the choices have been limited.  Not a big deal I guess, as 3 is good for me, 0 is very stiff pedals and is good, I will try 6 tomorrow to see if the pedals give too much, but it is kind of a bummer that Ninebot took away the slider.  I liked having so many levels of pedal hardness even if only a few were needed.  I will also try level 9 to see if it is so soft as before.  I will admit though that the slider was sometimes finicky on my phone and would shoot past the level I was trying to set so I would have to try and try again to get the exact number, but this new app is also finicky to set the number.

Has anyone seen any other changes in the new app?

Today I tried the four suspension sensitivity settings, 6 was okay, felt a little slop in the pedals changing from accelerating to braking, but rideable.  Then 9, wayyy too soft, the pedals tilted a lot trying to accelerate or brake quickly, rideable if ridden smoothly.  Then 0, pedals rock hard with no give, easier to accelerate and brake.  Went back to 3, the pedals are firm, but with a little give, the ride on pea gravel bike trail was a little smoother.  Will stay with 3, am used to it the most and it is a little easier it seems to reverse direction when I practice reversals to learn riding backwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Today while riding I decided to open the app to check my speed and distance traveled and it had a notification of a new version available. ( I stopped for a minute and pulled out the phone)   I started downloading it at the end of my ride and opened it when I got home.  The new app version is 3.8.0 and I don't see any difference in the appearance of the app.  Haven't ridden it yet, will ride again tomorrow.

Maybe the ride will feel different, the firmware hasn't changed in about a year, but this is the second app update in less than a month.  Probably they are just fine tuning the app.

One thing I noticed is that I hit the download button, put the phone back in my pocket, and thirty minutes later reopened the app.  Got a notice on the phone that the update was blocked because it was from an unknown source so I had to allow it to open at my own risk.  That's the second time I got that notification when updating the Ninebot app.  It's starting to alarm me a little, as if android does not trust the Ninebot app because it is foreign.  Must be security is getting tighter.  Not worried much, though, my Tracfone is so cheap that even if an app could hurt it I can just buy a new one for $80 and stop updating the app.  But until that ever happens, I will keep updating the app every time, just in the hope that it will get better in any way.

Also I keep hoping for a new firmware, that makes the Ninebot even better than it already is.  I miss the regular firmware updates, that some people complained about that some of the firmwares would burn out their control boards.  Never did understand that, always thought it was an overblown topic.  And still a lot of people refuse to update and stay on 2 year old firmware because of negative reports on one or two versions.  Maybe I was lucky that mine came with 1.2.5, which is well regarded, and missed the bad ones, I don't know.  But I upgraded to 1.3.5, then 1.4.0, and they both worked fine.  I wonder if the bad versions were being developed for the Ninebot one P  and the E version boards could not handle the power requirements?

But this update did not change anything visually in the app that I can see, and that annoys me.  If there is an update, it should explain what the update is.  That little point right there will keep me from updating the app in the future, at least for a while.  i will never again immediately update the app without an explanation of what the update is for.  Maybe next time I will google it or something, I am starting to lose trust in Ninebot's intentions.  I am starting to feel like an app guinea pig, and that the updates are actually reverse downloads.:blink1:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the latest app on IOS and I have 9 settings but they all feel exactly the same to me on my E+. And moving the slider is incredibly hard. I have to touch above the slider, not actually on it, and repeatedly try to get it to move. It's rare for a modern app to have such a major interface failure and not be corrected immediately. 

On 1.5.2017 at 6:55 AM, RooMiniPro said:

I'm on the latest app on IOS and I have 9 settings but they all feel exactly the same to me on my E+.

I think you have to turn the wheel off and back on for the changes to take effect. There is no way you would feel that setting 9 is no different than 1, there is a huge difference. Search for the youtube video from Ian at speedyfeet where he tests out the different settings. You can actually see how much the pedals tilt in the softest setting and Ian states that this is barely rideable due to the softness. He calls 9 the "joke mode"...

I just tried it and you're right, it has to be rebooted between changes. 9 is way too soft. 7 is wonderful though. I ride my MiniPro on the softest setting and find it to give me the most control. The E+ has totally transformed for the better for me now that I have softened it up. It came set to 3 and that didn't feel nice to me. Thanks for the reboot tip. Rep point given.

On 4/30/2017 at 11:55 PM, RooMiniPro said:

moving the slider is incredibly hard. I have to touch above the slider, not actually on it, and repeatedly try to get it to move. It's rare for a modern app to have such a major interface failure and not be corrected immediately. 

Yes!  The slider is incredibly finicky and hard to adjust!  It seems that instead of fixing the slider, they took out some of the riding settings, but even with less choices, it is just as difficult to change riding settings.

I'm thinking Android is difficult for them to work with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 4:58 PM, steve454 said:

i will never again immediately update the app without an explanation of what the update is for.

Changed my mind^_^  Just updated the app again immediately after getting notification that a new version was available.:o:unsure::huh::barf::crying:.  I'm addicted, can't quit now!  New version 3.8.2.  After looking at the new version, the only difference I can see is in the find other riders section, the map seems more precise, showing my exact location and even showing the name of the apartments i live in and the one year old apartments just recently built down the street.  (They must be using Google maps, but I didn't think Google updated their maps that fast)

So I looked at all the app updates, and I have updated the app 9 times in about a year.  The last three were just 2-3 weeks apart.  It seems that Ninebot is satisfied with the firmware, and are just tweaking the app.  But I still think it is a form of spying.:unsure:  But don't really care too much yet.  Am still hoping for an app update that does something significant, like add more speed options in the speed limiter.:rolleyes:  Or turns my Ninebot  into a Gotway or Kingsong.:P

Well, at least I get 200 Ncoins each time I update.:w00t2:

• 4 weeks later...

Today 6- 4 2017 got a new version notification, updated the app to 3.8.3.  See no difference in the appearance of the app, maybe it's my imagination, but when you change screens they seem to change faster.:unsure:  Rode some hilly bike trails today and for the first time rode with the screen that shows current levels.  Noticed that at steady cruise about 7-8 mph, the current stayed around 1 amp with minor fluctuations, going to negative when braking, and rising up to a little over 7 amps while accelerating slightly going uphill.  Didn't push it hard, though.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, steve454 said:

Well, at least I get 200 Ncoins each time I update.:w00t2:

What can we do with these n-coins anyway?

10 minutes ago, Vik's said:

Anything you want! :)

They are worth their weight in gold!

:dribble:

Unfortunately, they don't weigh much.

:efee8c29ce:

16 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

They are worth their weight in gold!

:dribble:

Unfortunately, they don't weigh much.

:efee8c29ce:

Cannot be seen and weighs nothing? hehe

20 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

What can we do with these n-coins anyway?

Well, you can divide the total you have by 200 and know how many times you have updated the app.  For instance, I have 2013 Ncoins, so I updated the app 10 times, plus one or two here and there for putting information in the profile.  Other than that, they are just a symbolic reward as far as I know.:unsure:

Archived