Tire Pressure Check Procedure and Gauge Recommendations

Just got my MiniPro Wednesday. Reading the forums, tire pressure issues come up often so I decided to check mine. I watched a Youtube video on it that was not very helpful. I used the adapter with my bicycle pump to inflate the tires some and didn't care for it. I tried two different pressure gauges and didn't like either for the small space. It also seems like a huge amount of pressure escapes with each pressure check. Getting both tires to 45 psi took way longer than I thought it should. Could you guys tell me what pumps and gauges you are using for this that you like? After this experience, I'm also considering putting Nitrogen in the tires and checking them less frequently. I'm probably just new but I'd like to find an effective way to do this so I'll do it regularly or go to Nitrogen. I'd appreciate your insights.

I don't think nitrogen would help you. As far as I know, air escapes between the rim and tyre and this will get worse after using it. Tyre glue is probably the way to go but it will require the removal of tyre so that it can be applied to rim-tyre interface. Instant tyre repair foam/slime might also work but it is not known how well the slime gets applied to the edge of rim. It will also make tyre replacement more messy.

When checking the pressure, you need to apply the gauge quickly and straight so that the gauge makes a good seal to valve as quickly as possible. I'm using Michelin tyre gauge but I don't see any reason why other gauges couldn't be used as long as the nozzle of the gauge fits. What you described happens to me occasionally but with a bit of practice you'll be able to measure the pressure without much loss.

22 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Maybe try one of those pumps with the guage right on it. I'd really like to get one of those little air pump guns I've been seeing for sale on TV super late at night :D

I did but the Schaefer connector was too big to fit on the valve stem between the rim and the motor housing. If you know of a narrower connector I'd love to try it. Just trying to simplify.

18 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I got a 10 dollar bike pump with a guage attached on amazon a couple days ago. I'm 50 cents over icom's budget, but feeling pretty good overall still. 

Would you mind sharing the Amazon link to your pump/gauge?

• 4 months later...

It doesn't make too much sense to use a gauge and a pump instead of a pump with an attached gauge because you always loose some pressure, that you have to add again, when you mount and remove the gauge. Unfortunately the delivered hose is worthless because it has no valve. I suggest to buy a good bicycle pump with accurate gauge and a hose with valve as used for trucks with hard reachable valves deep in the rim. You can get the latter at your local truck tire repair workshop or on ebay. The bad and the good:

IMG_20170901_091940.thumb.jpg.762b6b8ca9d2bd1097b9ca808739aa8d.jpg

My little $8 pump has a gauge, but it's really inaccurate, the needle doesn't accurately go higher with every pump, but rather it seems to jump every 5-7 pumps.

The extra cost to have a really accurate gauge probably doubles the cost of the pump itself. I'd rather slightly overpump the air, then manually adjust with the pressure stick

Archived