New EUC wheel off-center?

mrelwood

Newbie to EUCs, just got mine a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if this is normal, or should I demand a new one, or perhaps try to fix it.

When I lift the EUC off ground, it spins to max speed and soon turns off. While the wheel is slowing down, the whole device shakes quite strongly. Looking at the edge of the rim it goes up and down in relation to the EUC shell, as if the wheel axle was slightly off-center. I'm a beginner and my riding is not smooth enough for me to notice it while riding.

Here's a video to demonstrate the issue. Is this normal?

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, that's normal.

You are tilting the wheel; this is the whole concept of the gyroscope, leaning forwards or backwards to create wheel motion.

The wheel turns off as a protection.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a native English speaker, so I might not explain or understand things correctly. So just to make sure, I do understand why the wheel starts spinning. What concerns me is that the whole EUC shakes strongly while the wheel spins. If you look at the edge of the metal rim, it goes up and down while spinning. Were it a car tire, it would get weight balanced to make it spin smoothly.

I would imagine that I will ride at higher speeds once I get more experienced. It sounds like it would be a problem if the wheel doesn't spin smoothly.

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a native English speaker, so I might not explain or understand things correctly. So just to make sure, I do understand why the wheel starts spinning. What concerns me is that the whole EUC shakes strongly while the wheel spins. If you look at the edge of the metal rim, it goes up and down while spinning. Were it a car tire, it would get weight balanced to make it spin smoothly.

I would imagine that I will ride at higher speeds once I get more experienced. It sounds like it would be a problem if the wheel doesn't spin smoothly.

I understand, but personally, I don't think it's that severe or abnormal from any other typical EUC.  

If you're still worried, you could try to see if the nut that holds the pedal frame to the motor/wheel is loose.

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Looking at the edge of the rim it goes up and down in relation to the EUC shell, as if the wheel axle was slightly off-center.

In the vid, as far as I can tell, rim and tire remain perfectly aligned (there is only a change of perspective when the device is moving). The whole device is shaking, but it seems to be a rather moderate shaking and entirely normal.

Is the shaking stronger when the wheel slows down (after it turned off) or the same as speeding up? I'm a noob and don't know if you video shows normal behavior.

One thing you could do: check if the wheel axle nut is tight. Some people reported similar symptoms (shaking/uneven behavior) when it was loose, I believe. I don't know about this, but if you search this forum, people talked about that.

This is the wobble my Firewheel had (the video's slowed down), I taped a twist-tie on to the shell to have some reference. Although it looks bad, it was never noticeable while riding.

Virtually all my smaller vehicles and motorcycles have a slight shaking. It drives me nuts even if it is slight and is undetectable while running. Yes, I will turn my bike over and spin the wheels just to piss myself off. Dark Side of the Force and all.

I use these though not yet on my unicycles.

Motion Pro 08-0454 Silver  Steel Wheel Weight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023080RU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Uor3ybCS010ZJ

You basically find the heaviest part of the wheel then stick a weight on the opposite side until the wheel is balanced; however I haven't figured out how to do it with a unicycle without actually disassembling it as the wheels do no not seem to spin freely.

On 29/03/2017 at 4:39 AM, houseofjob said:

I understand, but personally, I don't think it's that severe or abnormal from any other typical EUC.  

If you're still worried, you could try to see if the nut that holds the pedal frame to the motor/wheel is loose.

Thank you all! Hearing this gave me peace of mind. I will open it up and check the nut once I get my bumper strips, it's currently taped up pretty good for protection.

Archived