Phoenix Arizona UrbEx group ride, April 2, 2017

Ombre

OK guys, it's time to get the Arizona riders together.  The weather is perfect right now, so @dbfrese and @Ombre are planning to meet up in the Phoenix area for our first group ride.

We're planning to meet in the Mesa/Tempe area and use the Light Rail to hop from place to place.  That way we can ride the best trails, parks, downtown, and skip the boring parts.  (An all-day light rail ticket is just $4.)  Tempe Town Lake area will definitely be part of the route.  This will be an all-asphalt ride, no dirt, and will might include some slightly crowded sidewalk areas.  Route suggestions are welcome.

The ride will probably run 10 miles at least, with options for more if people want to go longer and batteries hold out.

DATE/TIME:   Sunday, April 2, starting at 1:00 pm.  Exact meeting point to be announced on this thread soon.  We'll probably be out all afternoon.  You can bail out anytime.

BRING:  Water, cash for light rail and misc, sunscreen.  Charger optional; not sure yet if we'll stop anywhere you can plug in but we'll try.

Dress for the weather—Phoenix averages about 80 deg F this time of year.

@Playarider @Clovis  @Xelvic   @Baldy  @cesar1047  @MagicCow  @Jerry388d  @AGENT

RSVP on this thread please.  Let's go riding!

• Upvote 1

@Ombre, yes, it's about time! I'm sure that our list of Arizona riders is incomplete, so if you know of other Arizona EUCers, please let them know about the ride. Also, I learned from @Playarider that there is power available at Tempe Town Lake, which could be an option for those who need to fuel up mid-ride.

@dbfrese worked on the details of our April 2 ride today, and his plan is great. 

MEETING POINT:  Pioneer Park, corner of E Main St and N Hobson in Mesa.  You can park along N Hobson Street or in the Park & Ride at 440 E Main St.

ROUTE:   We'll do a warm-up in Pioneer Park, then ride 7 blocks west along E Main Street through downtown Mesa, passing the Mesa Arts Center and lots of other places. Maybe take a few small detours to check things out.

At the end of downtown Mesa we'll catch the light rail to Tempe and ride Tempe Beach Park, then a loop of Tempe Town Lake (about 5 miles).

At this point if people want to ride more we can pick up the light rail again to downtown Phoenix, where there's endless exploring opportunities  We can ride around Chase Field, Talking Stick Arena, Heritage Square, Phoenix Convention Center, and maybe find a coffee shop to sit and chill for a while with some iced coffee.

We'll definitely take breaks and stop to eat/drink (maybe recharge too), so this won't be a death-march.  We want to keep the ride fun & flexible.

One more thing to bring:  camera!  We want to document this for the other forum members.

DATE/TIME:  Sunday, April 2 at 1:00 PM

RSVP!

• Upvote 1

The first Arizona group ride was an outstanding success. Thanks to all who came, especially those who made the trip up from Tucson just for the ride.

Video from the trip will make its way to the video thread after some editing. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

The first Arizona group ride was an outstanding success. Thanks to all who came, especially those who made the trip up from Tucson just for the ride.

Video from the trip will make its way to the video thread after some editing. 

Awesome ride today! My feet and legs are a little stiff, even though I sat for 90% of the ride :D

• Upvote 2

Since you were a lot of the "scenery" I think that's a self-serving comment!  :P

Thanks for coming out.  I had an awesome day and am looking forward to doing it again soon with you guys.

• 2 years later...