V8-Turning and forwarding adjustment

Spinner

Hey Guys,

Finally got my V8 from  @Jason McNeil in London UK at wheelgo.com. I can't recommend him enough. Him and his colleague Stefan have been so helpful, generous and patient before and after purchase. I was even able to learn to ride backwards on their beat-up IPS132 before getting my V8 and I'm glad I did! Thank you Jason and Stefan. I've rarely seen customer service like this.

I love this wheel. The cut-off button and the trolley are indispensable. The thinness of the wheel and the nice size of the pedals also add a lot to the comfort, not to mention the safety of having a pedal height of 150mm for sharp turns. It's super responsive which is a must, especially with all these pedestrians in London.

Here's my issue though. Every time I make a pronounced turn, the pedals lean forward a lot and STAY forward when I'm riding straight right after. I have to lean back for a short time to make them straight again. I'm guessing this is normal BUT I figured I could adjust the angle in the "turning and forwarding adjustment" menu in the app. It doesn't work. I've tried putting the wheel on sleep mode on its side but nothing works. Has anybody succeeded in adjusting how much forward the pedals lean when you turn?

Thanks!

Took me 6 hours to put the padding on the wheel haha. OCD to the rescue!

V8.jpg

Hi guys I found my answer in the French forum Espritroue.fr  

Maybe I missed it here but the wheel must be vertical with the cut-off button pressed, so it must not be on its side in sleep mode. Still, nothing is customizable it's an automatic adjustment so I have no idea if it will help. I tried leaning the wheel back a little while making the adjustment I'll let you know.

Cheers

This doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me! I don't have the V8, but the V5F+ certainly doesn't do this. The foot plates stay quite horizontal no matter if I'm turning or not.

Still, I'd suggest contacting WheelGo about your problem--they should know instantly if it is normal or not.

Hi,

I have been reading this forum since I got my inmotion v5 in January. I created this account and login just to say that I have this same exact problem and I had thought it was weird but I dismissed it as something that is possibly normal since this is my first wheel and I have no other wheel to compare the experience with. i hope to inform that it is not just a V8 problem too.

Thanks!

Both my V5 and my Gotway V3 exhibit this behavior whereby the pedals tilt forward through and after a turn, and stay titlted forward for some time afterwards before returning horizontal.

I don't like it; it scares the crap out of me yet I have never fallen.

If I just wing through the turn with no braking the pedals stay horizontal so I'm guessing wheels do the forward tilt if you do a brake turn accelerate.

Seems a lot of things wheels do is mysterious. They almost feel alive. So many times I'll be standing on one, something happens and the wheel responds instantly, and I'll be "what just happened?" yet I'm still upright and alive. 

Thanks guys. Indeed it does not feel safe at all. I was going from a forward motion to riding in reverse yesterday and the pedals stayed backwards I couldn't slow the speed down. It  doesn't go back to horizontal unless I lean in the opposite direction. This should not be.

This behavior sounds similar to what i experienced on my V5F, so i hope my story helps, if your issue is still not resolved..

I bought my V5F 2nd-hand off someone locally due to budget constrains.. it's my first (and learning) wheel and i loved it.. managed to learn it in around 1 week and be comfortable in weaving thru human traffic to get to the train station..

However, after while, i can't seem to charge it and I'm not sure if it's the charger or the V5F.. turned out to be the charger and i got a new one, but not before i did a factory reset on the V5F..

After the reset, i can feel a difference in the wheel from before.. pedals leaning forwards, even at low speeds, and only return to horizontal after awhile.. its almost like what the OP described.. i thought i was constantly being tiltback due to low max speed settings.. changed both "max speed" and "tilt angle" but the weird motion still exist.. i know its definitely not normal cuz this is not the case before the factory reset..

It was only until i hit this "recalibrate forward acceleration" (i forgot the exact wording) button and the wheel returned back to being awesome.. i wasn't able to do this initially cuz my app connection with the V5F was very iffy.. previous attempts to hit this button resulted in some error.. i was so frustrated in the 2-3 days with this weird motion and I've been trying every setting possible.. so my advice is to try this button and keep trying, even if some connection error came out.. would have saved alot of time and stress if someone told me this earlier..

I did the recalibrate with the mudguard thingy about an hour ago, and set the pedal tilt to default, and now the scary handling problems I have had seem to entirely disappear.

I would suggest riders recalibrate their new wheels first thing as the stock settings feels very good. Very neutral I think. My feeling is the wheel has transformed from sporty with occasional heart-stopping actions to something more akin to an easy-going sedan.

Update: the pedals have gone back to their previous (bad) setting. I think because I laid the wheel on its side without turning it off, and came back to it half an hour later. I often do this.

So the permanent forward lean seems to be repeatable.

Nice to hear good news. As per Inmotion China via Inmotion France, the real factory reset is this "car and body turning" calibration. For good measure, reset the pedals setting also, then correct the pedals setting to taste, and enjoy !

My IPS Lhotz+ has this "feature" too. Scared me at first, but got used to it quite soon. Can't think of an explanation other than it's there to make sure your speed won't fall too low to be able to steer in a tight low speed turn.

Lhotz+ has only calibration by manually tilting the device forwards and backwards, so exact adjustments are not possible. However, even a slight negative angle (tiltback) helped this behavior quite a bit. Though my legs couldn't handle the position without pain, so I returned to horizontal.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Sorry about the delay I was away from the forum.

The calibration unfortunately doesn't change this but it's fine I got used to it. I was able to try another V8 of Jason McNeil and it does the same thing. It's no big deal, though, you get used to it.

I have to say I really love this wheel. I weigh 90kg+ and it's very responsive, I ride it quite roughly on the London sidewalks (in the evening when it's much less crowded), it really feels like alpine skiing. Awesome little thing. I hear "wow!" "so cool" "I want one" all the time when I'm riding. I'm tempted to buy a suit with LED lights haha, then I would really look like I'm from the future (or from the movie Tron)...

Cheers!

• 11 months later...
On 24/03/2017 at 3:14 PM, Spinner said:

Hi guys I found my answer in the French forum Espritroue.fr  

Maybe I missed it here but the wheel must be vertical with the cut-off button pressed, so it must not be on its side in sleep mode. Still, nothing is customizable it's an automatic adjustment so I have no idea if it will help. I tried leaning the wheel back a little while making the adjustment I'll let you know.

Cheers

Thanks!
That did the trick.
I must add that it only works when the wheel is touching the floor and upright and, indeed, the button in the handle pressed.
What it exactly does stays unclear.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Thanks!
That did the trick.
I must add that it only works when the wheel is touching the floor and upright and, indeed, the button in the handle pressed.
What it exactly does stays unclear.

Inmotion describes the effects of calibration here:

What Is Zero Offset Calibration of Inmotion Unicycle?

When the vehicle is in production and assembly, the slight deviation of the mainboard installation and the shift of the center of the vehicle gravity will cause the vehicle body to tilt slightly at equilibrium (as shown in the figure 1). We compensate for this deviation by changing the zero point of the built-in chip to bring the vehicle back to a Level.

Archived