Gotway service review.

Goodman

25 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Jason's site notes that he sources the best quality batteries on his buys, so that's a sign that there's no guarantee you'd get them otherwise.  There must be somebody who gets worse ones.  Caveat emptor kinda thing apparently ...

I do wonder, though, what happens in a year when his warranty expires ... as that seems a very short time, and I wouldn't spend approx $2k/year on EUC's myself if they broke down quickly.  Who besides someone like Jason would I even turn to for further repairs?

I think for the most part, EUC's are a user maintainable device. Mostly there are no local dealers and shipping a wheel back-and-forth is time consuming and expensive. It's best to be prepared to maintain your own wheel, which for the most part is easy enough to do. All the warranty is going to provide you (potentially) are replacement parts that may break. You provide the labor.

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think for the most part, EUC's are a user maintainable device. Mostly there are no local dealers and shipping a wheel back-and-forth is time consuming and expensive. It's best to be prepared to maintain your own wheel, which for the most part is easy enough to do. All the warranty is going to provide you (potentially) are replacement parts that may break. You provide the labor.

That's a fairly terrifying prognosis though, Marty, and it doesn't bode well for expansion of the hobby.  You're someone who majored in electronics in college.  I'm a guy who knows how to plug in an appliance.  I think almost the whole world is much closer to being one of me than being one of you.

Looking through the threads here, seeing people swapping formulas back and forth, discussing fine points of electricity, and using CAD and 3-D printing, it's pretty clear that many people here are anything but casual users.  I can't imagine maintaining an EUC without access to extensive and brilliantly clear tutorials at the very least.  That's what's making me think ... is there anyone I can find locally who could do this sort of thing better than me?  And where would I look?  A motorcycle repair shop maybe? A guitar repair shop?

5 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

That's a fairly terrifying prognosis though, Marty, and it doesn't bode well for expansion of the hobby.  You're someone who majored in electronics in college.  I'm a guy who knows how to plug in an appliance.  I think almost the whole world is much closer to being one of me than being one of you.

Looking through the threads here, seeing people swapping formulas back and forth, discussing fine points of electricity, and using CAD and 3-D printing, it's pretty clear that many people here are anything but casual users.  I can't imagine maintaining an EUC without access to extensive and brilliantly clear tutorials at the very least.  That's what's making me think ... is there anyone I can find locally who could do this sort of thing better than me?  And where would I look?  A motorcycle repair shop maybe? A guitar repair shop?

Believe me, I understand the problem and really wish it were different. I'm just trying to describe reality. I wouldn't want to give people false expectations of having a car dealership experience when it comes to warranty problems.

I do believe that if you're willing to expense the shipping charges and time, there are a few of the dealers who will work on the wheel. In the United States I know Dion from @myfunwheel provides technical support.

11 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I would not see it that worse....

i have my 4th wheel now, and beside the fact that i upgraded one with a batterie pack more for more range, i have had nothing to do or any problems with any of the wheels. No maintenance other then cleaning the wheels regulary!

While guarantee for a batterie is not that long you can exspect them to live 500-1000 cycles....And one cycle is meaning a FULL cycle, so three times charging from 66-100% counts as one cycle! this should go over the lifetime of a wheel if all runs smooth.

Also on nowadays wheels, there is not much need for working on them...yes, there are much "freaks" here :-), but that you see in every hobby forum....the most users are happy and keep there time with driving :-)

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

<snip>
.yes, there are much "freaks" here :-), but that you see in every hobby forum.... <snip>

I'm not sure @Rehab1 would appreciate you referring to him in that way :laughbounce2:

26 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

No maintenance other then cleaning the wheels regulary!

With your Gotway, I think at least a panel-off wiring inspection would be prudent every 250-500 miles.

43 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i have my 4th wheel now, and beside the fact that i upgraded one with a batterie pack more for more range, i have had nothing to do or any problems with any of the wheels. No maintenance other then cleaning the wheels regulary!

While guarantee for a batterie is not that long you can exspect them to live 500-1000 cycles....And one cycle is meaning a FULL cycle, so three times charging from 66-100% counts as one cycle! this should go over the lifetime of a wheel if all runs smooth.

Also on nowadays wheels, there is not much need for working on them...yes, there are much "freaks" here :-), but that you see in every hobby forum....the most users are happy and keep there time with driving :-)

I've owned 3 ACMs, 1 MSuper V3, 1 Monster, and a KS14C.  They'll all seen lots of stress. I've never had a single problem with any of them.

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Believe me, I understand the problem and really wish it were different. I'm just trying to describe reality. I wouldn't want to give people false expectations of having a car dealership experience when it comes to warranty problems.

I do believe that if you're willing to expense the shipping charges and time, there are a few of the dealers who will work on the wheel. In the United States I know Dion from @myfunwheel provides technical support.

I understand.  

Thanks for the heads-up on Dion.  He comes recommended?  I saved this thread in case an issue comes up in future.

49 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Well this and Marty's reply below it about not having problems certainly helps me feel more confident.  Thanks to both of you.  

I don't mind spending money for something that looks like such huge fun, but I do expect it to perform well if it is treated well and not turn into a piece of junk quickly or require real training to repair.  I can throw some money at an exciting hobby, within limits, but not down a hole ...

35 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I understand.  

Thanks for the heads-up on Dion.  He comes recommended?  I saved this thread in case an issue comes up in future.

I've bought a couple of ACMs from him, and he's a genuinely nice guy. 

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

<snip>
.yes, there are much "freaks" here :-), but that you see in every hobby forum.... <snip>

I'm not sure @Rehab1 would appreciate you referring to him in that way :laughbounce2:

Woke up from a great dream....heard my name.... and Bamm...FREAKS! :shock2:....I must still be dreaming:sleep1:

@Dingfelder

1. EUCs are very simple devices with very few parts, the result is basically two things can realistically go wrong and you have two types of repairs:

• Problems that require reconnecting cables (like a loose or broken connection, replacing a light,...). Skills for this are soldering and getting cables into connectors, that's pretty much it.
  • A part breaks (broken axle, blown board, mysterious electronics shenanigans,...), then you simply replace that part (motor, board,...). So it's plug and play with just a few screws. Easy. Only problem then, you might also need to reconnect some cables.
  • [if a battery pack breaks, you need a professional, but that is exceedingly unlikely and it may just be cheaper to get a new wheel instead of a replacement battery anyways]

So soldering is more or less the only critical skill here. If you don't want to do that (I can't solder either and you want a reliable connection especially for a EUC) just find someone trustworthy who can. So even IF something breaks (which is rare as EUCs are so simple and the wheel you got from the dealer will be good, otherwise you'd have returned it/it is the dealer's problem), the worst case is not the end of the world, all you need is someone with a few electrical skills.

2. The typical repair shop would probably an electric bicycle repair shop. They do the exact same things with similar parts (similar or even identical motors, cables, connectors,...). If you're in the PNW you might be able to find at least one locally. That saves you the expensive shipping costs. And of course you can ask ANY dealer if they will repair an electric unicycle, not just the one you bought from.

3. Before anything else, there is this forum! Just ask here. So many knowledgeable people here who can guide you through what you need. They can tell you exactly what is wrong, what to do (even if you can't do it yourself) and what exact parts to use and steps to do. With that kind of information, you can go to a repair shop (bicycle, again, best bet) and maybe they can let you watch so you see them doing what you told them (the point is to save on labor costs AND be sure they are doing what is needed properly - a bicycle shop may not be used to the higher EUC currents which require better connectors, or whatever).

Or you find another skilled EUC rider who can help you locally, for repairs. You could post a request in the Local Meet Up forum and in PNW chances should be good.

4. Chances are, you have a new EUC anyways before something breaks. From what I've seen, they are simple and durable and if they work, they work for quite a long time. Likely you will decommission/retire a wheel because there's a shiny new one and you take a aircraft approach to safety - replace before something realistically happens (watch these forums for old age malfunction reports if there are any).

5. Opening the side panels regularly and checking if everything looks good is a good idea in any case, if only for your peace of mind and how you feel how much you can trust your wheel. A little bit of preventive maintenance (not much you could do anyways).

TLDR: What to do if you need repairs? Good dealer for the warranty period, and after that may be stressful and annoying, but not that bad if you think about it, and in addition quite unlikely you'll even need repairs. Worry about post-warranty repairs if something happens then. not now:)

Maybe to clarify more, a good dealer is worth it so when you get the wheel it ultimately will be at 100% without you having to do repairs (as opposed to Ali, if something's wrong you'll have to repair yourself right from the start, best they can do is send replacement parts).

And: later repairs seem quite unlikely, if you look at these forums, some problems with new wheels, but how many people report something that breaks after 1000 km?

Thanks Meep.  I appreciate the clarity and detail.  

I tend to take extremely good care of my things and would rather go without indefinitely than blow much money on mistakes, so I tend to think in the long-term right from the start.  It's very important for me to get a feel for whether something is worth my time and money.

Right now, I've been captivated by EUC videos and when I watch them, they give me a feeling of pure joy.  They remind me of when I was a kid who was nuts about his bike and rode it endlessly not just for fun but so many other reasons -- the freedom, both the quiet release from a crowded home and the color, sound, and noise of a busy town, or even the strange serenity of a far away graveyard I used to ride to and have lunch in before going to the flea market on the weekends.  The work-out, the challenge, the weather raw against my skin, something about the sound of the wind.

I'd like to have some of that again.  But I like to know my chances before taking a gamble.  

Thanks Meep and everyone for your continued help and encouragement.  This is a great community, and I think I'm confident enough now that soon enough I will make my first buy.

I can confirm EUC riding is just so enjoyable in itself:)

The only mistakes I could think of when buying, is buying a cheap dangerous noname wheel, or buying too small/weak of a wheel or too small batteries and then you want to upgrade after a few days.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I can confirm EUC riding is just so enjoyable in itself:)

The only mistakes I could think of when buying, is buying a cheap dangerous noname wheel, or buying too small/weak of a wheel or too small batteries and then you want to upgrade after a few days.

I definitely won't buy a weak one. For one thing at 200 plus pounds I'm too big for many if not most of them!  So that problem kinda solves itself ...

We also have so many hills around here and so many nature trails that I need a really strong machine or I'm going to wind up carrying it instead of it carrying me.  So I'll be opening up my wallet in earnest.

I think nature is conspiring to steer me toward a big expensive wheel automatically.  A lot of the smaller ones look nimble and fun, but I can see that they just don't fit my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Odds are that if a wheel functions fine after riding it for a year, it likely should last longer.  Electronics usually give up the ghost early if there is a problem to begin with.

Even still, I don't think Jason would leave a customer hanging after their warranty is up.  You will need to pay for parts and repairs of course, but it's just like anything else.  New cars are usually over $20K and are warrantied for what?  2 or 3 years or 60 thousand kms?  You'd still buy a new car, or end up buying a used one without warranty.  If you have a good relationship with a dealer, they should be able to fix any problems that you encounter, but I wouldn't expect it to be for free.  Every one's gotta eat, right?

I rode mcm v3, ACM and Msuper V3s, 

from Dion (myfunwheels) purchased ACM in 2016 and couple weeks ago Msuper, A+ service, support, very nice guy.

i had No issues with any wheels yet and mcm v3 took a beating (learning wheel).

Archived