Gotway service review.

Goodman

I know there has been a lot of negative news from Gotway but here is a small review from me re the company. Two weeks ago I emailed Jane at Gotway to ask if there was an official Australian dealer as the 2 I found who sold the product was really only drop shippers. Jane replied saying there is no officially dealer in Australia and she would be happy to help me out. I transferred the funds into the Gotway account 2 weeks ago on this day, today after exactly 2 weeks I receive my new Msuper V3S+ 1300. My parcel got through customs and delivered to me in good order, the box was wrapped well and I even received an Australian plug for the charger which I was really happy about.

The service I received was great and I really appreciate the help I got from Jane, even with her limited English there was never any problems. I haven't had the chance to test my new ride yet as it is raining. My wheel shows a QC date 7th of March 2017 so here is hoping I won't have too much problems with it.

Whatever becomes of my new wheel which I will see in the coming weeks I will keep everyone posted, but the service so far has been great from Gotway. I hope they pick up on the current issues and continue making these wheels better.

The wheel I got is a matte black looks really cool just wish the rain stops now.

I think Gotway took feedback from the community and upped their customer service game lately. At least it seems that way to me. There have been quite a few times they went quite out of their way for me when I remember my first contact last year didn't seem nearly as convincing. I really like Gotway wheels and hope they continue growing and improving.

Good to hear your positive impressions and the manufacturers constantly improving. Enjoy your new wheel!

With that being sad, selling a wheel to you is not service. Almost everyone is going to have good "service" when selling you something aka they want your money. The real question is, what happens when there's a problem you need help with aka you need their time/money.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Good to hear your positive impressions and the manufacturers constantly improving. Enjoy your new wheel!

With that being sad, selling a wheel to you is not service. Almost everyone is going to have good "service" when selling you something aka they want your money. The real question is, what happens when there's a problem you need help with aka you need their time/money.

True I agree that it isn't  in part but giving me an Australian charger plug is very considerate. When I bought my ninebot one e+ it was from an Australian approved seller it came with a weird charger plug i had to go and buy an adapter for it. Sad thing is I could have bought the wheel overseas from speedy feet and got it sent over for alot less. So the Australian seller should had at least included an adapter for what he charged me.

It was my first wheel and I didn't research no regrets but service here is bad and price is so high. I got my new Msuper for only $500 more and even with just 3 days on the Msuper I can honestly say it's a must better wheel.

Loving it so far cross my fingers I don't have the melting wire or bad connection or any other problems.

I don't think purchasing a Gotway was ever an issue. Like them other manufacturers are in the business of making money.... I'm sure it was rather easy to get the device. What people are complaining about is their lack of service or the design quality of their products after the fact! I don't have any issues with mine but there is a fair share of people who have. 

Is there a problem with lack of service? From all I've heard they are reasonably receptive. Did anybody have a complaint with GW service leaving an issue unanswered?

The lack of design quality though... you're right, regarding the electrical designs.

I absolutely LOVE the very simple but equally great and flexible way of how the GW wheels are built mechanically (specifically the ACM, I consider that a masterpiece of simplicity and efficiency) - very simple shells, very few parts, but still everything is there (and in addition, they are great for people modifying their wheels). Seeing how for example Kingsong wheels are built, with intricate shells and parts and whatnot, I'm wondering where that (unnecessary?) sophistication comes from (and it's much harder to modify these easily).

But everything about the electrical design is... basic, that can't be denied. KS is miles ahead of them in that regard (Inmotion probably too but I haven't seen any wheel from them). @Rehab1 is basically rebuilding every electrical aspect that he can on his ACM in order to minimize potential problems (and because it's fun, as said GW wheels are great for tinkerers).

@Goodman Sorry if I sounded like a killjoy about GW wheels, not my intention. In the end, statistically they're great with some (but kind of bad) exceptions. I would not ride one faster than 15 km/h without protective gear now, but your new wheel is still great (as you've probably found out:)).

If your production date is after Chinese new year (it's on the QC stamp), that's when they supposedly changed the motor connectors so you don't have to worry about these (and the only other worry I would know about is the wheel shutting down under rather extreme loads, so just be a little mindful and wear a helmet and wrist guards).

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is there a problem with lack of service? From all I've heard they are reasonably receptive. Did anybody have a complaint with GW service leaving an issue unanswered?

The lack of design quality though... you're right, regarding the electrical designs.

I absolutely LOVE the very simple but equally great and flexible way of how the GW wheels are built mechanically (specifically the ACM, I consider that a masterpiece of simplicity and efficiency) - very simple shells, very few parts, but still everything is there (and in addition, they are great for people modifying their wheels). Seeing how for example Kingsong wheels are built, with intricate shells and parts and whatnot, I'm wondering where that (unnecessary?) sophistication comes from (and it's much harder to modify these easily).

But everything about the electrical design is... basic, that can't be denied. KS is miles ahead of them in that regard (Inmotion probably too but I haven't seen any wheel from them). @Rehab1 is basically rebuilding every electrical aspect that he can on his ACM in order to minimize potential problems (and because it's fun, as said GW wheels are great for tinkerers).

@Goodman Sorry if I sounded like a killjoy about GW wheels, not my intention. In the end, statistically they're great with some (but kind of bad) exceptions. I would not ride one faster than 15 km/h without protective gear now, but your new wheel is still great (as you've probably found out:)).

If your production date is after Chinese new year (it's on the QC stamp), that's when they supposedly changed the motor connectors so you don't have to worry about these (and the only other worry I would know about is the wheel shutting down under rather extreme loads, so just be a little mindful and wear a helmet and wrist guards).

Not at all, completely understand as I have been following the topics with all the problem ACMsand Msupers, Mine was made is March 2017. I haven't opened it yet but I am thinking about doing it this weekend to make sure my connectors are good and see if there is protective sleeve on my wiring. Might put some silicone on just to be a bit safer also. I have put just under 200 kilometres on the wheel and I have been monitoring the temperature and the highest it got was 45C, the fastest I have take it was to 35 kilometres per hour but only for a very short time. Been cruising at 25km on average there is no major hills near me so I haven't tested it under stress, after reading all the post about recent problems I am a bit scared to push it any harder.

I do love the Msuper it's fast, smooth and comfortable to ride, it's easy to push around, I do hope @Rehab1 can put his ACM together again and I'm hoping Gotway take notes from him and other to improve on these machines to make them safer.

46 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Have faith but putting in a good word to @Marty Backe's GW gods would be appreciated! ;)

Every time I put my helmet on I pause silently on your behalf - hope it helps :D

I think that anyone is able to get money and shipping something. This isn't a point to evaluate a manufacturer, may be a good seller.

When all gone well ... we are all good , but when something goes wrong ... there you can evaluate the quality of a service.

If your wheel was delivered bad assembled ( I can assure that this happen)  ... than you can evaluate.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Every time I put my helmet on I pause silently on your behalf - hope it helps :D

Thank you kindly! Soon I will begin practicing your almighty pose so I don't piss off the GW gods. I am currently trying rustle up some birds for my background sounds but have only found a few road kill vultures so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Again ang again, Gotway shows their poor QC and dont care attitude. Ive completely given up on getting MSuper V3S+ and looking into RockWheel GT16. I will NOT spend $2600. CAD. or so on MSuper and problems that people have with them, the worst is how company responds to them or should I say the lack of responding...

27 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

Again ang again, Gotway shows their poor QC and dont care attitude. Ive completely given up on getting MSuper V3S+ and looking into RockWheel GT16. I will NOT spend $2600. CAD. or so on MSuper and problems that people have with them, the worst is how company responds to them or should I say the lack of responding...

I don't disagree with anything you said, but you don't actually expect better service or quality from Rockwheel do you? I rode a GT16 last week and I can say that it does not exude quality. I liked the wheel very much but if I end up getting one I think I'll be even more on my own than I am with any Gotway wheel.

I just spent a very long day riding back trails in the mountains with my Monster and two ACMs. All of the wheels took a beating but they kept working.

Buy a Gotway from a reputable dealer. Any out-of-the-box issues like the wheel above would be addressed (by a reputable dealer) and you would not be out of money.

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

Like Marty allready said:

It there is a row of quality....Rockwheel would be some steps under GW...Hard to believe...but totally true!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Buy a Gotway from a reputable dealer. Any out-of-the-box issues like the wheel above would be addressed (by a reputable dealer) and you would not be out of money.

110% this. A good dealer will fix all your problems. Gotway is also very receptive to fixing your wheel, at least when a big dealer is behind that, but some individuals also have good experience (and some bad). They're trying, but they are just not there yet, and the QC issue is an entirely other thing.

I have had my Msuper v3s 1300 for around a month now and have done close to 300km. I have opened it twice already to check the inside and I must say so far so good. I have pushed it close to its speed limit went up a few major hills, pushed my son on his trike for over 5kms in one ride. Everything so good so far and I really love the Msuper I can not complain yes when I first opened it the pedal wasn't screwed in as tight as it should have. Thing to remember is gotway is only a small manufacturer I expected the fact there could have been a slight chance mine could have a problem when I bought.

a few years back i bought a new bmw330 and i can honestly say I got a lemon. Within the first 6 months the power driver window broke. Whenever it rained heavy I would get small water leaks from the windows. After a year the gearbox broke and they had to replace it, I gave up after 15 months and sold it. On the other hand my friend had the same car 6 months older than mine and he still has it and he loves it without any of the problema I got.

Yes agreed gotway needs better QC but Looking at face book posts and posts on these forums with hundreds and thousands of gotway riders it only seems like a very small % of poeple were unlucky to have gotten a lemon. I am not sure of others but I for one have pushed my Msuper alot harder than my ninebot one e+.

In regards to communications with Jane when I got mine, the reply was short and slow I used wechat a Chinese app like skpe it was better and faster than emailing. If you can find some one who can speak Chinese you will find it much easier to get your problem solved. 

I am only new to the whole euc but reading the forums there seems problems with most brands. 

Thanks for all this info., I was really ready to pull the trigger on MSuper V3S+ and 3 people were having serious issues. It pushed me back I guess, but I wont rush into any decisions. For now Im enjoying my ACM 680., but always wanted 18". I just might come around......

It definitely appears that Gotway tends to respond more to their resellers than individual clients so unless you really like to gamble, I would avoid buying directly from them or AliExpress.  Purchase from a reseller with good rep like Jason of Ewheels / Wheelgo or Ian of Speedyfeet.  You will pay more, but that money is going to a good warranty program.

Small individual sales directly from the factory likely don't mean much to them so they may not feel an urgent need to help you out if you get a bad wheel.  It's just the way they do business it seems.  The bigger sales likely get more care and attention than the one offs.

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Small individual sales directly from the factory likely don't mean much to them so they may not feel an urgent need to help you out if you get a bad wheel.  It's just the way they do business it seems.  The bigger sales likely get more care and attention than the one offs.

That's also what I heard (although from a reseller, so we have to take that with a grain of salt). He said that they don't care about individual sales and there is no after sales support to be expected directly from the factory, but more interestingly, he said that any beta units or first batches of a new product, which a knowledgeable reseller won't buy for one reason or another, are going into direct sales. For example, the first batch of KS16S apparently had different (not quite optimal) battery cells, which were then changed to something else for future batches. So my reseller held off and did NOT buy from the first batch, because he wanted the units with the new cells for his customers. Again, I'm only repeating what he told me, and I can't really verify it at this point, but it does make sense to me and I don't see why he would come up with such an elaborate story if there is no truth behind it. 

Jason's site notes that he sources the best quality batteries on his buys, so that's a sign that there's no guarantee you'd get them otherwise.  There must be somebody who gets worse ones.  Caveat emptor kinda thing apparently ...

I do wonder, though, what happens in a year when his warranty expires ... as that seems a very short time, and I wouldn't spend approx $2k/year on EUC's myself if they broke down quickly.  Who besides someone like Jason would I even turn to for further repairs?

Archived