Open Carry Second Amendment Rights in US

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  It must be interesting to be able to walk around with semi-automatic weapons in the US.  If I walked into a bank with an AR-15 here I'd probably be in some trouble...

Some citizens( I use the term loosely) go to the extreme and test the laws to the max which makes 99.999% of us that have legal carry permits look radical! 

So funkin funny!! I would not be the one the audience seething! I would be laughing my ass off! Thanks for brightening my day! :laughbounce2:

An older news report,

I've been at the indoor range a couple of times and shot some pistols and an AR-15, and it's fun.  I'm actually not too bad of a shot.  In Canada at least, I don't feel a big desire to carry one around in public or have a gun with me while driving around.  I'd think I'd get into a whole lot more trouble if I had one especially with some of the rude drivers around here.  Guns have a place in society and for personal use, but like anything else things can be taken too far.

Say the Open Carry people end up making police more lax about seeing guns being carried around.  The next time a group of terrorists want to bring their assault rifles around it will just make it that much easier for them to get to their targets with less hassles.  It's difficult to figure out a win win situation in this case where people's rights should be protected but also those of society in general.

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Guns have a place in society and for personal use, but like anything else things can be taken too far.

There were people in my CCW class that scared the sh.t out of me! Their inept questions and comments throughout course had me both laughing and crying inside!  I constantly thought 'This person is going to be carrying a gun?'

16 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Say the Open Carry people end up making police more lax about seeing guns being carried around.  The next time a group of terrorists want to bring their assault rifles around it will just make it that much easier for them to get to their targets with less hassles.  

Truthfully I rarely see anyone open carry a gun or rifle in Michigan or Ohio. My holster on the wheel was just for fun. The gun is never exposed to the public. Just my opinion but I don't believe in open carry! It makes citizens and kids nervous.

I suppose in 10 years if more and more people participate in open carry it may become subliminal to us all and your group of terrorists scenario may become a reality. Now it appears terrorists are more preoccupied in using cars and trucks as their weapon of choice! Sad!

11 hours ago, esaj said:

Been watching a lot of stand-up in Netflix lately... ;)

That was funny, he made a lot of good points.  It made me think that the reason Americans are so in love with guns is because of the Old West, when people were spreading westward and settling this wild country with Indian attacks possible at any time and lawlessness everywhere.  But then again, that may have been Hollywood propaganda, who knows what it was really like?  Guns to a drone fight?  And muskets are great, it gives you time to calm down, it takes awhile to pour the powder, tamp it down, and so forth.

It is hard to believe our little group actually had a fun, civil conversation about the pros and cons of guns! This type of conversation traditionally turns into a bar fight. Congratulations all! :cheers:

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  It must be interesting to be able to walk around with semi-automatic weapons in the US.  If I walked into a bank with an AR-15 here I'd probably be in some trouble...

The wind noise made it hard to watch the whole video, but it was great the way the policeman took no guff from the guy trying to test common sense.  I think in most countries the guy with the open gun would have been immediately arrested and taken to jail.  

There's nothing wrong with guns, but there are problems with some of the people using them.

I love shooting guns.  Maybe it was watching all those "Bonanza" re-runs as a kid.   I love westerns too!

It is amazing how loud gun fire is.  That bang bang you hear on the TV is more like a boom boom indoors even with ear protection on!  :wacko:  I had a guy firing a shotgun next to me, and man that was incredibly loud.  The AR-15 was really cool to fire at targets.  The one I tried had a neat scope on it which helped, but it was a little tricky to aim correctly.  Recoil was actually pretty manageable.  Ammo was a little pricey at a dollar a round though.  :rolleyes:

I used to shoot a pellet air-pump rifle when I was a child in our basement into some bundles of newspaper with a target stuck to it.  I have some friends who shoot gophers (prairie dogs) to help keep them in check as they are reproducing like crazy up here.  I don't think I'd ever shoot a live animal or want to.  I know they are vermin, but it just seems a bit cruel as compared to a paper target.  That's just me though.  To want to carry guns around on me or out in the open?  I don't see a huge need.  I'll let the police take care of defending us.  If it's that bad in a place where I feel I need to carry weapons for self-defense I think I'd need to move to a more peaceful location.  :innocent1:

I had a friend from South Africa tell me about the rampant carjackings and murders around where he lived.  There would be dead bodies lying on the side of the road. :shock2:  He ended up moving to the US instead which I think was a good move!   We actually are experiencing more gang violence locally with shootings every now and then, but it doesn't make me want to carry a gun or have one at home.  I'd be more afraid of needing to use it and end up getting in trouble over a split second stupid decision I think.

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I suppose in 10 years if more and more people participate in open carry it may become subliminal to us all and your group of terrorists scenario may become a reality. Now it appears terrorists are more preoccupied in using cars and trucks as their weapon of choice! Sad!

Gun control does appear to benefit terrorists somewhat, attacks using guns result in around 40-100 deaths per attacker before the police stop them if everyone is unarmed. As to whether the deterrent is worth the downsides it's much more complex.

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't think I'd ever shoot a live animal or want to.  I know they are vermin, but it just seems a bit cruel as compared to a paper target.  

Me as well!:thumbup:

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'd be more afraid of needing to use it and end up getting in trouble over a split second stupid decision I think

You are trained to run away from any altercation and turn the other cheek! It is amazing how the CCW courses enhance your awareness and surroundings while providing a constant conscientiousness that you are carrying a loaded weapon and you must do anything in your power to avoid confrontation.

Unfortunately I was probably the only person in the classroom that left with that important message.:huh:

Normally I do not participate in off-topic discussions, but I feel pretty strong about this. 

I am against guns in the hands of civilians. If you are a gun enthousiast, go ahead, own a gun, practice, have fun, but do it in a controlled environment. Leave your gun at the club.

Most guns in the house, in the street, in public places are accidents waiting to happen, and be honest, many accidents have happened, some of them heart sickening.

As a European, I am simply stunned to hear that the gun-lobby actually helps to create laws, that make it impossible to have a good gun registration in place.

I know that most Americans want better gun control. That is not a big surprise if you know that in the US the death by firearm per capita (excluding suïcides), is the highest in the whole world. This means people shooting other people!! I find that a horrifying thought.

Somehow the government does not do what the ppl want in this case. Whatever and whoever stands in the way of sensible gun control is, in my humble opinion, at least partly, responsible for this. 

I do not see how open carry (or concealed carry) in any way will improve on the situation. 

Btw. Thanks for the Jim Jefferies vids. He's a very funny comedian.

1 hour ago, johrhoj said:

I am against guns in the hands of civilians. If you are a gun enthousiast, go ahead, own a gun, practice, have fun, but do it in a controlled environment. Leave your gun at the club.

I love your thoughtful polite opinion! 

I held a vigil at my Toledo Children's  Memorial 2 days after the tragedy struck at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. I was sickened by the loss of innocent children's lives! I agree that laws in America on gun owner's rights need to be tightened.

I do not belong to the NRA because of their far right views and see no place in society for assault weapons in the hands of citizens! 

Look into the eyes of the precious little girl holding candle at the memorial! It states volumes but unfortunately our fickle American society moves on without any thought or consideration for the families that lost their young children on that horrific day!

I don't think gun control that works in one region automatically works elsewhere. A small, wealthy, densely populated state with a largely monolithic culture that has not had an issue with violent crime in generations like the netherlands has little to gain from minimal gun restrictions. Meanwhile in US states that have unfavorable conditions combined with strict gun laws it appears the opposite as police are unable to deal with all the crime and you inevitably end up with armed criminals against unarmed victims. You see similar results in places like South America and Russia to some degree.

2 hours ago, lizardmech said:

A small, wealthy, densely populated state with a largely monolithic culture that has not had an issue with violent crime in generations like the netherlands has little to gain from minimal gun restrictions.

I am afraid you are not well informed on two accounts:

First: On the 9th of April 2011, a man (in the Netherlands) shot 23 people in a mall, 6 died. This same man had applied for a gun lincence and was denied one. However, he applied again (years later, after a suicide attempt) and was given the license. This was not supposed to be possible, this was human error. The gun-restrictions are such that this license should not have been given. There is no telling how often such bloodbaths have been avoided, as a result of our gun-restrictions working correctly.

Second: The Netherlands have a multicultural society, with both ethnic and religeous diversity.

Canada introduced a gun registry years back, but I'm not sure it was worth the money spent on it.  We still had that guy who stormed our parliament building and shot a military officer who was near a war memorial.  More recently some people killed several others at a muslim temple.

I'm not sure if having more people openly carrying weapons would deter these type of events.  Maybe, maybe not?  The wrong people always seem to be able to get their hands on weapons.  Would having more armed citizens reduce problems or contribute to a whole other set of issues?  The police can't be everywhere all of the time.

I would be worried that the average citizen is not well prepared to control their use of firearms in public.  There is training,  but as Rehab touched upon, there are so many variables with people who vary emotionally and mentally that it is difficult to say who would be qualified to safely control the use of their weapon.   The nicest, smartest gun owner can have a bad day if they run into the wrong situation.  Having that gun handy might not be the best choice.  Maybe in the event of a terrorist strike it would be useful, but how common do they occur?

If I had a chance to stop someone on a killing rampage, would I try to shoot them? Maybe?  I'd think I would be too afraid of trying to engage a crazy person in a firefight when they have nothing to lose and are already prepared to die.  Me, I've got stuff to live for.  Bravado is great along with saving lives,  but when it comes down to it I think it would take quite a bit of effort to place myself in the line of fire.  Even if I was legally allowed to open carry a weapon around I wonder if my flight response would be greater in a real shooting situation...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion, and very polite!

The UK has very strict gun laws, put in place after two really bad mass shooting incidents. The second one, which led to a ban on all hand guns, was actualy a failure of the existing system. The perpetrator should never have been given a licence if the rules had been correctly applied. 

That siad, mass shootings here are incredibly rare, as they are thankfully elsewhere in Europe. 

Ive never understood the American desire (by some folks) to carry a gun in public. I own quite a lot of guns ("why do you need another one" - my wife asks, to which I reply why do you need another handbag?) but they are locked up when not in use. They are for work and pleasure, I don't feel the need to own one for personal protection. 

Frankly, seeing the utter stupidity of some folks I share this little island with, I'm rather glad there isn't the general right of access to guns by the general public. 

Archived