Gotway ACM 1600 Autopsy and Mods

I connected the cooling fan to the ACM. Using a heat gun from a distance I brought the temperature up to 50 degrees C thinking it would automatically turn on. No luck! No voltage at the socket.

Has anyone tried installing a fan on their ACM obtaining voltage from the socket on the main board depicted in photo #2? @Marty Backe said his dual fans on his Monster derive their power at that site. Maybe the ACM board is not programmed to power that socket. Ideas?

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I connected the cooling fan to the ACM. Using a heat gun from a distance I brought the temperature up to 50 degrees C thinking it would automatically turn on. No luck! No voltage at the socket.

Has anyone on the forum tried installing a fan on their ACM using voltage from this particular socket on the board? Any ideas?

What we don't know is if the firmware is enabled on the ACM version of the board. Don't know how this tidbit may relate, but the ACM overheat shutdown occurs at 79 degrees.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

What we don't know is if the firmware is enabled on the ACM version of the board. Don't know how this tidbit may relate, but the ACM overheat shutdown occurs at 79 degrees.

Celsius or Fahrenheit? I was at 120 degrees F.

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Celsius 

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Celsius 

That is 248 degrees fahrenheit! OMG you could cook an egg on that hot plate!  :furious: That cannot be good for electrical components! Has your Monster fans ever turned on?

Just now, Rehab1 said:

That is 248 degrees fahrenheit! OMG you could cook an egg on the hot plate!  :furious: that cannot be good for electrical components! Have your Monster fans ever turned on?

That should be 174 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Monster fans seem to be running all the time, but they turn on at ~43 degrees Celsius. There are two fans and I don't know if both turn on at the same time or one-by-one based on how hot things get. 

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That should be 174 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Monster fans seem to be running all the time, but they turn on at ~43 degrees Celsius. There are two fans and I don't know if both turn on at the same time or one-by-one based on how hot things get. 

I googled it:

Look at this! You can cook chicken at that temperature! Great if you get lost in the woods again!:w00t2:

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I googled it:

I'm beginning to wonder what we're talking about :):confused1:

The ACM tilts-back at 79 degrees Celsius which is 174 degrees Fahrenheit. You tested the board at 120 degrees which is 49 degrees Celsius.

Beyond those facts, now I'm not sure what year it is :blink:  

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The ACM tilts-back at 79 degrees Celsius which is 174 degrees Fahrenheit. You tested the board at 120 degrees which is 49 degrees Celsius.

Both are degrees but one is Fahrenheit and the other is celsius I think that is where the confusion lays thus resulting the slow roast chicken. 

If it's not that I am totally lost too.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Don't know what the trigger levels are in the board but 79 C is about 175 F. Maybe it need to go higher that 120F 49C  

70 °F. 21.11 °C room temperature

80 °F 26.67 °C

90 °F. 32.22 °C

98.6 °F. 37 °C average body temperature

100 °F. 37.78 °C

110 °F. 43.33 °C

120 °F. 48.89 °C

130 °F 54.44 °C

140 °F. 60.00 °C

150 °F. 65.56 °C

160 °F. 71.11 °C

170 °F 76.67 °C

180 °F. 82.22 °C

190 °F. 87.78 °C

200 °F. 93.33 °C

212 °F. 100 °C boiling point of water

300 °F 148.89 °C

400 °F. 204.44 °C

You can't cook a chicken at 79 degrees celsius, no matter how long you cook, it will never reach the safe internal temperature of 185 degrees fahrenheit.  So the Gotway fans come on below the safe cooking temperature, :w00t2:

5 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

So what seasoning do I use on my MSuper? :confused1:

See ...

On 5/24/2017 at 1:12 PM, Marty Backe said:

I upgraded my MSuper to the V3s+.  When I rode @who_the's V3s I was really impressed with the additional power and heft of the wheel.

Maybe my recent problems were due to an imbalance in my Gotway Universe. My Monster and ACM are 84v wheels but the MSuper is still 67 volts. Not good. So when Jason ships out my new wheel everything should be in balance again :D.  I have to wait a couple of weeks, so things are still sketchy here :unsure:

@Rehab1http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-40C-NC-Thermal-Protector-Thermost-Temperature-Control-Switch-KSD9700

switch closes at about 40C. Cheap solution.

then to power it up buy this also. to step down the B-Vat voltage down to 12volts or 5 volts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100V-High-Voltage-Power-Switching-Regulator-5V12V-250mA-Step-Down-DCDC-Converter-/251309504912?hash=item3a8336b990:g:m1QAAOxyD9JR75~y

The bi-metal switch will put power on the fan. The power is supplied by the Step down converter.

12 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

My concern, but only because I'm still on an 820Wh, is all the mileage those fans and extra electronics are stealing.  I like to use up my battery on rides. ;)

Easily alleviated by purchasing  a new wheel. Your welcome :)

Yep, I'm already trying to figure out how to get one.  Now that they have heavier wires and better connectors, it's a perfect time to buy a new one.

I've ridden in 100 degree weather and never overheated, so I'm personally not concerned about fans.  Just did a 4000 Foot climb last weekend, and also did not overheat.  But, I did run out of battery.  I do only weigh 155lbs when wet, so that's part of it.

31 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Yep, I'm already trying to figure out how to get one.  Now that they have heavier wires and better connectors, it's a perfect time to buy a new one.

I've ridden in 100 degree weather and never overheated, so I'm personally not concerned about fans.  Just did a 4000 Foot climb last weekend, and also did not overheat.  But, I did run out of battery.  I do only weigh 155lbs when wet, so that's part of it.

I've ridden all of my Gotway wheels under some stressful, hot conditions, and none of them ever overheated. That's one thing I thankfully don't have to worry about :)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I hate Google!! This sounds better!:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

The bi-metal switch will put power on the fan. The power is supplied by the Step down converter.

Plan B sounds good! Thanks! I'm going to experiment and increase the temperature tomorrow and see if the fan will come on. If that fails I will go with plan B!

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

You can't cook a chicken at 79 degrees celsius, no matter how long you cook, it will never reach the safe internal temperature of 185 degrees fahrenheit.  So the Gotway fans come on below the safe cooking temperature, :w00t2:

It's 165 fahrenheit / 75 celsius for chicken.  I have the fahrenheit printed on a magnet on my fridge, have seen it said to be 165 many times, and it's the first temp that came up when I googled it. 

For what it's worth, I usually cook chicken at 350, but have often cooked it at 250.  It will reach 165 no problem at that temperature, and it's much more difficult to overcook it and make it dry that way.

Archived