Gotway ACM 1600 Autopsy and Mods

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

To me it looks like an electric scooter motor that Gotway used for it's self balancing electric unicycle.  But what does it matter?  It is the programming that controls it that matters.  Oh wait.  It would be much better if it was designed from the ground up to use in a one wheeled device.:huh:

My question is purely academic - I'm just curious if it actually is a scooter motor like I've heard before somewhere in the inter-webs.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My question is purely academic - I'm just curious if it actually is a scooter motor like I've heard before somewhere in the inter-webs.

After rereading my reply, I feel like such a dipshit:pooping:  It comes across so badly.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Relative to the cost of a $1500 - $2500, surely the bearings are not expensive. I would pay the difference if they advertised, "Now with bigger and stronger bearings"

I agree. There is a bearing company down the road. I plan to drop off a bearing  and let them search for a high quality replacement.

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Great pictures. So, with your critical eye, how do you rate the overall construction and quality of the motor? Do you think it's a repurposed motor or does Gotway build it?

Thanks! Someone actually skilled in motors might be able provide a better assessment of the quality and construction. The windings appear to be solid but I don't have anything else to compare it to. There must be a reason why @EUC Extreme rewinds his motors. 

There are no markings or engravings on the motor to depict it is a Gotway product. The motor covers are silk screened with the Gotway logo and part number but we all know how easy it is to rebrand a product.

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree. There is a bearing company down the road. I plan to drop off a bearing  and let them search for a high quality replacement.

Thanks! Someone actually skilled in motors might be able provide a better assessment of the quality and construction. The windings appear to be solid but I don't have anything else to compare it to. There must be a reason why @EUC Extreme rewinds his motors. 

There are no markings or engravings on the motor to depict it is a Gotway product. The motor covers are silk screened with the Gotway logo and part number but we all know how easy it is to rebrand a product.

Thanks. Wow, he rewinds his motors???

Somehow I'm starting to feel wholly inadequate as an EUC enthusiast after watching what you guys are doing. I'm kind of an armchair wheeler who just wants to turn it on, step on, and have fun.

But I'm glad people like you exist :cheers:

21 minutes ago, steve454 said:

After rereading my reply, I feel like such a dipshit:pooping:  It comes across so badly.

No worries :)

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

@Rehab1 thanks for the great photos!  I never knew the wheel had spokes before, all the other photos I've seen elsewhere only show the motor with the covers on.  Just by looking, it looks pretty well made, but I know very little, just that it looks good.  I always thought that the motor coils were closer together, near the axle.

Your welcome Steve!

One fault I see is the motor covers need some form of silicone sealant or gasket when they are reinstalled. Riding in the rain or through a puddle could easily force water into the motor's core being there is no seal. I am sure the stator would object to any H2O entering its' domain. :o

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Wow, he rewinds his motors???

Somehow I'm starting to feel wholly inadequate as an EUC enthusiast after watching what you guys are doing. I'm kind of an armchair wheeler who just wants to turn it on, step on, and have fun.

That is what I have heard. Hey :clap3: @EUC Extreme, do you rewind your motors for greater efficiency?

Inadequate? No way! You contribute daily! Anyone can tear one of these machines apart. I just hope one day my ACM will come back to life so I can step on and have fun!:roflmao:

For easy reference, here's EUC Extreme's collection of mod images you can page through:

http://aijaa.com/VoXiNs

I didn't hear that he rewound his motors before, but I wouldn't out it past him.  :whistling:

In this photo it appears he uses two wires to connect to the motor coils and joins them together to connect to the control board wires.  Wonder why he prefers that rather than a single thick stranded copper wire coming out of the motor.

http://aijaa.com/JcnaJ0

http://aijaa.com/QLNvLO

I do not coil motors. I put the motor outgoing wires thicker.
But, I've thought about it. I have a friend that the winding variety of engines and makes them much more performance in that way.
He would be able to get something nice for the EUC engine :)
I've noticed that at least the motor overheating is not a constant problem. So it could tune.

Gotway does not manufacture engines.

51 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

But, I've thought about it. I have a friend that the winding variety of engines and makes them much more performance in that way.
He would be able to get something nice for the EUC engine :)
I've noticed that at least the motor overheating is not a constant problem. So it could tune.

Gotway does not manufacture engines.

@EUC Extreme I have always wondered why you don't make your own performance type of EUC. I would buy it even if it costs $5000 or more. Just like cars or motorcycles there are the cheaper ones and better quality higher output like Ferrari. The closest we have to a high performance is the 84v euc's but even that is at a poor quality.

It's been a mind.
But decent circuit board manufacturer has lost :)
In practice, everything else is successful.
And it is already planned.
But hardly anytime soon is going to happen.
Another problem is patents.

Sorry, I must be wrong (I suppose the middle/ the coils is not rotate) .

But is that black plastic cover in middle just for prevent dust and water? And that is why the wires must come through the axel? Without the cover wires can be thicker if they do not come through the axel. Just invent the dustcover new way??

The motor side metal covers with the bearings are essential to support the rotating magnet support / rim / tire combo that spins around carrying the rider.  They attach to the rim itself with several screws.  When assembled the axle is supported on either side through the bearings so the rim can spin around the axle.  The axle and inside parts remain stationary since there are wires attached to power the coils so they must not move.

The wires have to exit through the stationary area as the motor covers / magnet support  / rim / tire are all spinning.  That is why they core out the axle so one side is hollow to allow the wiring to pass through.  It took me the longest time to visualize this all out from looking at photos and some videos.  This classic one is helpful:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love Thanks!

So the side metal covers has the bearings, OK. I though bearings may be between coils and magnets/rim. I am not sure if I ever see a picture of bearings in euc.

I have re-assembIed combustion engines from 50cc...V8 but my knowledge about electric motors sucks!

I knew I was wrong :ph34r::ph34r::crying:

I though bearings may be like Franco Sbarro do the bikes.. 

18ncu4ne0u718jpg.jpg

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Quoting myself from a couple of years back:

"At least Daao/XINAOMA (who has built motors for at least Firewheels, IPS and older Gotways) has a specific category for "self-balancing wheelbarrow motors" in their catalog, but the catalog does not for example contain the Firewheel motor, which may have been specifically built for Taizhou Wanchang Electronic Technology (the company manufacturing Firewheels).

http://www.daaomotor.com/html/Self-balancing_Wheelbarrow_Motor/

DAAO Electric (Jiangsu) Co., Ltd. and Changzhou AOMA Technology Co., Ltd., established in 2006, is a technology institution and manufacturing enterprise specialized in researching and developing electromotor and controller of electric vehicles. Covering a floor space of 36,000m2 and having an annual production capacity of 3,500,000 sets, the company has developed into a leading enterprise in Chinese industry of electric vehicle electromotor since its foundation. Its products are used in provinces and cities all over China, as well as in many other countries and regions. 
Always maintaining the core concept of driven by technology and thriving on high-quality, the company persists in exploration and research, striving to launch onto the market more environmentally-friendly, energy-efficient, and economical high-tech products that are closer to perfection. Our company has successively passed the certification for ISO9001 and ISO14001 systems. In addition, our products have passed national and international certifications such as CCC and CE. Thanks to the comprehensive management system and standard, mature production techniques, thorough testing methods, and precise and effective quality assurance system, XINAOMA & DAAO brand enjoys high prestige in domestic and overseas markets. 

It used to have more motors available (something like 3 pages sometime in 2015), now it's only one page (but there's still one with the IPS-logo showing). And none of those are very powerful, but I still remember seeing markings suggesting using their motors in some never wheels too (MCM4?). So at least in some cases, the motors seem to be made specifically for the wheels.

5 hours ago, EUC Extreme said:

Dang....where do these rumors start! :facepalm: Ok, at least admit that your portrait Is due to appear on your 1000 Markkaa currency! :lol:

3 hours ago, Pasi said:

But is that black plastic cover in middle just for prevent dust and water? And that is why the wires must come through the axel? Without the cover wires can be thicker if they do not come through the axel. Just invent the dustcover new way??

@Hunka Hunka Burning Loveprovided an excellent answer and the video explanation is a classic ( one big ass wheel):)

The black wheel covers are  made of cast aluminum. The bearings are press fitted into the cover although I was able to extract them with some gentle persuasion.  The bearings slip over the axle that has a tapered shaft for a  friction grip so they don't rotate.

Photos of the PC board and mounting plate/ heat sink.  

One slight modification I made was incorporating a thin teflon insulator between the PC board and the aluminum plate. There are plastic insulating spacers that elevate the PCB off the plate by 5 mm but any metal object such as a mounting screw that came  loose could easily wedge between the small gap causing a short circuit. It probably will never be an issue but what the hell! I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law!

BTW, if any members would like close up photos of any specific components while  I have the ACM torn down please let me know.  

34 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Photos of the PC board and mounting plate/ heat sink.  

One slight modification I made was incorporating a thin teflon insulator between the PC board and the aluminum plate. There are plastic insulating spacers that elevate the PCB off the plate by 5 mm but any metal object such as a mounting screw that came  loose could easily wedge between the small gap causing a short circuit. It probably will never be an issue but what the hell! I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law!

BTW, if any members would like close up photos of any specific components while  I have the ACM torn down please let me know.  

We know that the pedal magnets can break free (because of their use of high quality hot glue), so that's one big chuck of metal that could roll around. Not directly related to your fix I know. If you weren't planning on it, I would add some additional adhesive onto those magnets.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

We know that the pedal magnets can break free (because of their use of high quality hot glue), so that's one big chuck of metal that could roll around. Not directly related to your fix I know. If you weren't planning on it, I would add some additional adhesive onto those magnets.

Thank you! Great info and an easy fix! Did you modify yours? :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thank you! Great info and an easy fix! Did you modify yours? :thumbup:

Sadly I forgot :angry:  But I will next time I open it. Like everything else with Gotway, mostly it's good, but since I may drop my wheel (mountain riding) more than most, I should secure them better eventually.

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sadly I forgot :angry:  But I will next time I open it. Like everything else with Gotway, mostly it's good, but since I may drop my wheel (mountain riding) more than most, I should secure them better eventually.

The first time I opened up the ACM2040 to do the battery mod I noticed that one of the magnets came off.It was also in 2 pieces which I surmize probably happened due to a side impact from a rock since it was right after some serious off-roading.Needless to say I removed the other one and installed nylon washers on the pedals to compensate and solve the "Gotway slop" in the pedals.:o

13 hours ago, Pasi said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love Thanks!

So the side metal covers has the bearings, OK. I though bearings may be between coils and magnets/rim. I am not sure if I ever see a picture of bearings in euc.

I have re-assembIed combustion engines from 50cc...V8 but my knowledge about electric motors sucks!

I knew I was wrong :ph34r::ph34r::crying:

I though bearings may be like Franco Sbarro do the bikes.. 

18ncu4ne0u718jpg.jpg

No problem!  :smartass:  It took me the longest time to imagine how it all worked in my mind through studying photos and videos.  When you look at Rehab's photos, you can barely see the gap between the magnets and the opposing metal surfaces.  In his video with the feeler gauge you can see where the gap is and how the outer rim with the tire is supposed to spin around.  You can see the bearing in one of his photos of the motor cover.

43e1fef683.jpg

That photo of the motorcycle you posted has a front wheel that is very similar in design to one of Inventist's electric unicycles with a hole in the middle.  I think they discovered some engineering problems with it so it never reached mass production, but some Chinese companies tried selling knock offs of it.  I can't remember the name of it.  It looked similar to the Orbitwheel. 

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

When you look at Rehab's photos, you can barely see the gap between the magnets and the opposing metal surfaces.  

Let me rip into your 'Flame' so we see the size of your gap!:thumbup: 

Sounds weird! Let me rephrase the statement: " Can I please examine your Ninebot One E+ Flame Edition to evaluate what the tolerances are between the stator and magnets? Thank you so kindly!" :laughbounce2:

Here are photos of my new bluetooth temperature data logger and a few screen shots of the logger displays from my IPhone. 

It fits perfectly in the shell with only a slight plastic mod. The height profile is perfect so the shell will go right over it without any further mods.

You can turn the logger on via Bluetooth, set the max and min temperatures for an alarm to go off ( still playing with it) , an easily monitor the temperature from my IPhone. The battery is suppose to last 1 year. 

Oh  I also installed 8 copper heat sinks. I am thinking of installing some custom vents on the sides which may prompt me to install an actual Mosfet cooler.

Archived