Gotway ACM 1600 Autopsy and Mods

My new motor finally arrives on Tuesday thanks to @Jason McNeil:clap3: Interestingly they describe the motor as a controller weighing in at a hefty 11 lbs with no battery. 

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

My new motor finally arrives on Tuesday thanks to @Jason McNeil:clap3: Interestingly they describe the motor as a controller weighing in at a hefty 11 lbs with no battery. 

It has REALLY big Mosfets on it. :P  But, that's great news!  Finally be able to put it back together.

Then, just ride past your wife as if nothing has happened...  <_<

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

It has REALLY big Mosfets on it. :P  But, that's great news!  Finally be able to put it back together.

Then, just ride past your wife as if nothing has happened...  <_<

My wife would be pleased with a really big Mosfet!;)

It has been a long time since beginning the rebuild. Hopefully it will be back together soon.

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Finally the finish line is in sight!

Is it just a matter of putting everything together or do you still have bigger plans left (for who knows what)?

21 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Finally the finish line is in sight!

Is it just a matter of putting everything together or do you still have bigger plans left (for who knows what)?

I still may paint it but the cooling system,  temperature data logger and spark arrestor are it for the mods. I will not have to update the new motor.

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I still may paint it but the cooling system,  temperature data logger and spark arrestor are it for the mods. I will not have to update the new motor.

Your last sentence implies something special about this motor? Doesn't it contain the same deficiencies that you were originally trying to correct? Or you are just willing to live with them now?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Your last sentence implies something special about this motor? Doesn't it contain the same deficiencies that you were originally trying to correct? Or you are just willing to live with them now?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Marty asking the armor-piercing questions;)

I should be able to answer on Tuesday. For now :confused1:

Funny...the DHL delivery truck arrives at my house at 10pm last night! What company delivers packages that late at night? I had rerouted the new motor for delivery to my work address since I would not be home during normal delivery times and I needed to sign for it. For some reason my home address was still on the guy's computer. So this poor guy drives up my dark driveway after working a 12 hour shift and rummages though 30 packages in the back of his truck only to find out there is no wheel on board..:( I had a feeling but I helped the guy anyway. Then I find out the guy still has to deliver the remaining packages in his truck before going home. He was cussing out DHL all the way saying he gets sick worrying about what might happen when deliverying packages to people's homes this late at night.  Last week he was cornered by 2 German Shepards. I hope he made it home safely! 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Funny...the DHL delivery truck arrives at my house at 10pm last night! What company delivers packages that late at night? I had rerouted the new motor for delivery to my work address since I would not be home during normal delivery times and I needed to sign for it. For some reason my home address was still on the guy's computer. So this poor guy drives up my dark driveway after working a 12 hour shift and rummages though 30 packages in the back of his truck only to find out there is no wheel on board..:( I had a feeling but I helped the guy anyway. Then I find out the guy still has to deliver the remaining packages in his truck before going home. He was cussing out DHL all the way saying he gets sick worrying about what might happen when deliverying packages to people's homes this late at night.  Last week he was cornered by 2 German Shepards. I hope he made it home safely! 

Sometimes those guys are great, sometimes they're really horrible.  It's hard to know what to think about them -- and their companies -- sometimes.

The dog thing definitely has my sympathies though.  

We have dogs that come racing at you and barking, four at once ... and then sit down right by your feet and wait for a treat.  Must be terrifying.  They do it whether they've known you for years or never seen you in their lives, and the result is the same.  We have a tiny little neighbor lady that just laughs, but I can see someone who didn't know our dogs thinking he's about to meet his maker.

Even though all four dogs together still weigh less than I do. :D

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

We have dogs that come racing at you and barking, four at once ... and then sit down right by your feet and wait for a treat.  Must be terrifying.  They do it whether they've known you for years or never seen you in their lives, and the result is the same.  We have a tiny little neighbor lady that just laughs, but I can see someone who didn't know our dogs thinking he's about to meet his maker.

My Shepherd meets you like you are her next meal.  She also is just saying she wants to play, but you'd never know it.

Here's what you THINK you're gonna get:

NA1hvQwaXxe8N3igAvcY7Dqi28hLFig76XyugGxAsTovjtcK3p7Z48NF3GYCl5L4jlbTHw0YcqQ-aeLQAWi-v5or_of2Jmt6vcMqQh6BqReozzOqQkerq--IfDnv5iCTRvc39WEnaKjiNkOQDJmfz0CMxT48eCWZIz8_CitaoPbXDGe8LCxVW1juz_m4KBGEfbfVtQ6idv61eBIVfo4QXBnP2AhVYqaMga_nfU9TMC5iFe0YpqthQR50ETsIHHh0G76hS3hBav5RA3gvCyWSMXxqdqPPfOM6ytIdZevCSFUvuOlRrIMxoGpqgpwYmVnZ7YMKpxtrRUlZmGvPCQ_LxEZt6i-8E1LXm6iIoXJd7nhdFRj5tqWGtP5gpwguHBDVgUplD2MaLhnj3EW8vwhpsJULj_v3dzLRAA7seGcoDL6TnNkWVFQdi0sjL3WAe51Rlj5lN0Hmmk8on39ciLBqdGv7TbhGbuBY97E63M4hPVEP5_ABgQoQ9nxgT8hiKuac73ZBwSmXULWiEpJ5rAw_vKXNNuuww8bqlNsdztM2FjZ3xjbnam9K80NrnKs7KMMfxGhZk1ck4XIvlaMMjB3oIFA2uC6N0mU5vZnGiVPzjFM6EtekMYOZNg=w731-h974-no

And here's what you actually get:

Zgqb66dpzs4YJVccb4vQdVJEvtTaNqGZbe2OaqhyxvBGDUwceCe-oL-aJuUyPegHs1IGKp9tdGlPxMKCAwEVYvrTXrHGwTSjUNUmYgaPamEtX-EJW-W4w-kK183115ogsej30lRZ1Z25d_X2FeodPHiaR0AET7RL8V32WsY7_L3Vciv4igOLqfLDEotvNTVjQbcjM_yhELbTuDJd91ypT29FUrUjwIyzIArSyf7HtxtX-LThXt9XtZfuBkcJIEomdH6uhb_OENWLsbR7LpUnbBo-7kh4CpCDgrtHVdIduGa8L_c42OOY8oEzN3QOVED2QTuDnl1Om0_R67YPjgYho9G3CVLi7HCHn1JUwL9RYJV-Wy-v3rKIzhq351mRrtZ0UQ_BnsTT5Md7I5LyEcPHIHlYVeK-bWAU_9H-692sViIPsTRu1u-dNbfV51HQL_1mYZCkDjxbn8-GkR-p9B1ytv2iicdrunP2OkkSZfQLiDh2hnhCaF2N7KfLlNG5GjO4_qloa-PYhsAeROvpwLmfBMJNKwOzyHXcdUx_7wVQx8_RAXveekThw0tcCxcEUd8OzALtBCKtx8JI8SMYU_2xc9pbaciDmHjhfQ4ExJP3JVOJ3u0DsoylvA=w720-h687-no

JkhzNrunBinSvp7Mod6K-okD6zUgMMU0wMz2XO4jdHOMOeQ-nq6pTz-YnhG2ppaSiR72LbgNwP3NkP08-n_ZGPCKPr5DKDL1aNfLeBdvjyAFigoglspqNBpE0V83mcCNqXWsj_IhG-TKPU1dnNlcm8LhW8DFFXRcOQ4d5w0brTTL5tpCdMuynMKVSuI4skZzqx6mkc0C614KAXlvqrnt59yIaYlgKnBJiwySqCh2_bWtoq4p6janOyg3uja8JCA5XZ6x47euwQSFnnE-sub6cFdoQeWa9u58lbAfAKb9u0TarBCPA9Fm66hLC_mQHYAsqUTmqXlNpEdcb7B1JjmymWKh3veCNkrUbOHr9bH6polQwx_Miibbm2cpMHwXccn6aSKbG_1JdicybbfrYzvsacOnW0oayMnYC-cAd3rZGwTstESDIjWOkUJ_367l4Kk9LkZUFmR1mKdTcGsDGsdkQXMW_hAYfvZmNdIRikJLfvoLtUkT2BXkRQpbY4yk_oDBEfFhtKVwFwWJrxzacaMyQZfiJFk-GpLK6EsrkQia6chv-yPr9HC-U4QpE7k6aW3hnzB6lE1Zdg2gpYaTf_cNpoMgkPH-_lvohLH9Nwf1MbfrMkWNSIcGrQ=w549-h974-no

c-76meCECfT7cheusEXcQ2iQrbnI7SjOwtL6PhygGtA45yl8wiPRMfelJXMjCIQVRkt_AQo89iNiMjFY9f88zf5IsMhqPXnQbE8h9Gmqkh8ltrPcKPunIM3vrvAKRUTUTpD5m0qcHDTlzQOwJWGKDpwkpXGbvL-D--gkLHImAFsGgfQCXvdW47dmURKV0N7cwdDUnbsHy0MWopQpoqBQ_8RPHe2fyMbaUltdKiLibg0TQ1p_8THx-AZHEs6LPaI8QJ5d1m4r5FMWccNwGE1dNpI-5Kv0J7P2R6oRTgykHUB58MSH4m6gVNVCLYvLZZyIQA22evD9UpSVjj2S_0lxl94rdBXmWYHM58ZUJdAaWmJkTtEgoJ_KgNKz6AOjuIOIPxT76LZR7AzzcLPJ7apNSVQXoFX0BmnFOD-JicFUhm1_YIGovuji6DJkScczroL6492ycYaqrdbm8tD3JoRgoTUgLyLbt5VMn2VGF1pN7MVmf4EpURAaVd4L0e3L1mlwlWg-7mnZaM1I-Q7KVEE0ZsUHdPBTz9XqOG7vXEjxZPefqkyvl60C7SowLYwL3l6ZY2A7wHsWrk5OH5vqBW-sL4oRcau5nSGuuTVMGCWkIBnKuoOdx-BoAw=w1732-h974-no

e9cMy-N4OwuxxPvUmd6xxnpjT8xjPQLvdJWu499AWPhJuLJ0qidxBE4swMskPUjQ0yam5XP4lqfpmmn1tq6uuC61xjvwTo2_VhPL3of6Uh6hSiOxBv2jUwowX11UOSKbTrTmiZ2ITlOBGN2jKruoN3Se-jMWJ80CB9AnlIRjCWAfrRBhmzWjyRCXiDc3rq4dFQXWFQkhxjH0mXU2X59sZ4BSDiTphYQqxAY99CcPRVY0WCHto0RKAmcqEGFy8jGghxyuJ-xTGQxcLhgmwx24siN3afm3iC-HxJezQHn2zh_5QDIgqloy2st4hS8x8cH5oaYETlGC_vrYmFN6DeogR1jD3ipJbOYsZpE7wtxnx6RKmlYpkz-bNp4FTpDR5ChSkQLxTU8IWxoSGBOAPLglZVKEME-1XA40ny_uTIDG16Nf7gg_bYXPsmtKikkSyqhf0jjXf-L6kH0CHPi51DGQddC1472OkpQh_0iiB4c2kmnFMTSOrBZMf0LDCcgKUPnELpx-M9cybt71a8Jsk-6I2d4ueuc15SxgVKnXF3GE42fnP-YwnM8ShG3Ofgzn8HAvPmyRlJxkpuUdkNkr4lhcgkDWPeDWxgOJAuyISkQvqWNzWiSWsbIPmg=w1299-h974-no

9 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

My Shepherd meets you like you are her next meal.  She also is just saying she wants to play, but you'd never know

I decided to change the topic's  title:laughbounce2:

30 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

e9cMy-N4OwuxxPvUmd6xxnpjT8xjPQLvdJWu499AWPhJuLJ0qidxBE4swMskPUjQ0yam5XP4lqfpmmn1tq6uuC61xjvwTo2_VhPL3of6Uh6hSiOxBv2jUwowX11UOSKbTrTmiZ2ITlOBGN2jKruoN3Se-jMWJ80CB9AnlIRjCWAfrRBhmzWjyRCXiDc3rq4dFQXWFQkhxjH0mXU2X59sZ4BSDiTphYQqxAY99CcPRVY0WCHto0RKAmcqEGFy8jGghxyuJ-xTGQxcLhgmwx24siN3afm3iC-HxJezQHn2zh_5QDIgqloy2st4hS8x8cH5oaYETlGC_vrYmFN6DeogR1jD3ipJbOYsZpE7wtxnx6RKmlYpkz-bNp4FTpDR5ChSkQLxTU8IWxoSGBOAPLglZVKEME-1XA40ny_uTIDG16Nf7gg_bYXPsmtKikkSyqhf0jjXf-L6kH0CHPi51DGQddC1472OkpQh_0iiB4c2kmnFMTSOrBZMf0LDCcgKUPnELpx-M9cybt71a8Jsk-6I2d4ueuc15SxgVKnXF3GE42fnP-YwnM8ShG3Ofgzn8HAvPmyRlJxkpuUdkNkr4lhcgkDWPeDWxgOJAuyISkQvqWNzWiSWsbIPmg=w1299-h974-no

Handsome dog.  Love that last picture!

I love German Shepherds.  We used to own a kennel and a pet shop, and have owned many dogs and many dogs at once for decades.  German Shepherds are just perfect to me.

I love  other breeds too ... we have Australian shepherds now ... but German Shepherds have a huge place in my heart.  I only wish Americans hadn't bred them into all that horrible hip dysplasia.  They are perfect dogs if you don't screw them up on purpose.

18 hours ago, SuperSport said:

My Shepherd meets you like you are her next meal.  She also is just saying she wants to play, but you'd never know it.

:clap3: Shepards are so smart! Many of my peds patients have trained Shepards to assist them in life. Most have a placard displayed on their harnesses " Please Do Not Pet". Once I get permission from the parents I give them hugs and they just melt in your arms. :)

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

:clap3: Shepards are so smart! Many of my peds patients have trained Shepards to assist them in life. Most have a placard displayed on their harnesses " Please Do Not Pet". Once I get permission from the parents I give them hugs and they just melt in your arms. :)

They can be hard workers and deserve lots of attention and praise.  

My father had a service dog.  She picked up things for him and such, but mostly they were just in love with each other and happily kept each other constant company.

After examining the evidence, the GW Engineers concluded that the core of the spontaneous wiring failures were (almost all) a direct result of the hot-press (soldered) connectors, which have been replaced three months ago. With some lobbying efforts :), they also decided to upgrade the wiring gauge from these connectors to the stator, from 16awg to 14awg, so that it is now a consistent gauge for the future. Here's an unofficial non-GW statement....

"You may have heard that some of the wiring in the latest ACMs+ & MSuper V3s motors have been upgraded.

Gotway have established a reputation for producing Wheels of unparalleled performance; in keeping with the goal to offer the most powerful Wheels, GW engineers strive to continually update & improve all components within the EUC system. 

This 14awg wiring uprate is a relative minor improvement, limited to the wiring lead from the control-board connectors to the motor (stator). It is not perceived to be of significant immediate benefit for existing ACM/ACMs+/MSuper v3/MSuper v3S Customers but was added to 'future proof' current motor design."

Picture courtesy of Mr. Cole
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjQ2JfU2dZR

3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

After examining the evidence, the GW Engineers concluded that the core of the spontaneous wiring failures were (almost all) a direct result of the hot-press (soldered) connectors, which have been replaced three months ago. With some lobbying efforts :), they also decided to upgrade the wiring gauge from these connectors to the stator, from 16awg to 14awg, so that it is now a consistent gauge for the future. Here's an unofficial non-GW statement....

"You may have heard that some of the wiring in the latest ACMs+ & MSuper V3s motors have been upgraded.

Gotway have established a reputation for producing Wheels of unparalleled performance; in keeping with the goal to offer the most powerful Wheels, GW engineers strive to continually update & improve all components within the EUC system. 

This 14awg wiring uprate is a relative minor improvement, limited to the wiring lead from the control-board connectors to the motor (stator). It is not perceived to be of significant immediate benefit for existing ACM/ACMs+/MSuper v3/MSuper v3S Customers but was added to 'future proof' current motor design."

Picture courtesy of Mr. Cole
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjQ2JfU2dZR

Very encouraging :thumbup: Now I know why @Rehab1 will probably use his new motor as-is.

Since GW engineers are striving to improve their components, if you ever have the opportunity to agitate for addition improvements, please ask them to spend a few more dollars and use screws that don't snap off after the first minor impact. They (and you?) may not be aware that Gotway has a reputation in the community of using super-cheap screws to hold their cases together.

But your update is welcome news.

I find it encouraging that they are listening and fixing things as they come.  I know many seem frustrated at times, but it can take a little while to incorporate new features and fixes in the next iteration of things.  They appear to be doing that.  First, more Mosfets, then connectors, and now wire gauge.  It's a start.  The next release might just be a pretty good one if all these changes along with any we are not aware of yet are used.  There is also a photo on FaceBook that shows a Voltage Gauge on the Monster.  I don't know if it's Factory, but it sure appears that way.  If not, it was well done.

10 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I find it encouraging that they are listening and fixing things as they come.  I know many seem frustrated at times, but it can take a little while to incorporate new features and fixes in the next iteration of things.  They appear to be doing that.  First, more Mosfets, then connectors, and now wire gauge.  It's a start.  The next release might just be a pretty good one if all these changes along with any we are not aware of yet are used.  There is also a photo on FaceBook that shows a Voltage Gauge on the Monster.  I don't know if it's Factory, but it sure appears that way.  If not, it was well done.

Yeah, that voltage/battery gauge was super cool. Wouldn't it be great to glance down at any of our wheels and see the battery level in such a straightforward manner.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

I am free! Thanks Jason! Perfect explanation! Ok...now I can begin sharing the reassembly process that has been taking place such as  pedal hangers attached to the new motor. You will see the motor wire connectors are a bit different. After researching them they appear to be gold plated bullet connectors that are rated at 100 amps each. I have ordered some sets of the connectors as my main board wires will require the female ends.

30 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Whack that baby!  :w00t2:  Red Loctite?  I thought that was the permanent stuff... wouldn't blue be better? 

Oh GW used red...trust me! There is one more version, I believe it is purple.., now that stuff is tough! We use red all of the time on our braces so the kiddo's don't loosen screws. We never have any issues with removal.

Archived