Segway/Ninebot One S1 for beginner

zoeywill

Hello, I would really appreciate some opinions whether the One S1 is good for beginners. My crazy sister has always talked about hoverboards, but recently she has found some article about unicycles and particularly about the Segway https://buyerscaptain.com/segway-ones1-review/ So me and my parent we are thinking to surprise her for her birthday. The problem is that I have seen some horrible videos of people falling from this things and I wonder if it's good for beginners? Thank you in advance guys!

The Ninebot One S1 or S2 (I think one has two battery packs?) looks like a good all around wheel for beginners.  It is a 14" wheel so it can be a little harder to learn on.  I cut my teeth on a 14" generic Chinese clone wheel which served its purpose and got all beat up.  It was only about $250 though.  These Ninebots are pretty good in terms of durability, but I would recommend padding up the sides as the S1/S2 don't come with leg pads.  Side padding also helps with learning as well.  16" wheels can roll over more varied bumpy areas easier than a 14" I find at least.

Another wheel to consider is the InMotion V5F+ (a 14" wheel) or V8 (16") which has longer range and speed so it should last longer before that upgrade itch hits.

Oh yes, pads, this is valuable info :).We will definitely need to equip with those. I will consider the V5F+, as well although is a bit faster. Just I am trying to balance between the fun and the safety, sorry if I sound overcautious.

@zoeywill Keep in mind that while she's learning your sister will fall off a lot, no matter which wheel you buy.  So along with that wonderful gift you should include a set of protective knee, elbow, and wrist guards, as well as a good helmet.  Shin guards are appreciated by some people too, although plenty of padding on the wheel will take care of that part.

@zoeywill

I echo @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's sentiments: my personal #1 recommendation for an EUC (electric unicycle) beginner is the 14" InMotion V5 series.

I've owned both, having purchased the S2 (almost identical to the Segway/Ninebot One S1) before discovering the V5, and my experience on the InMotion V5F+ led me to sell my S2. (see my S2 vs V5F+ comparison I wrote awhile back here)

The InMotion V5F+ is easier to learn on, as it sports a higher body to more comfortably lean your leg against (not to mention built-in padding), and offers way more convenience and safety features (headlight, front and back always-on visibility lights, trolley handle) which the S1 does not offer, for a relatively similar (InMotion V5F goes for $675 on eWheels.com)  or slightly higher price (InMotion V5F+ (bigger battery) goes for $895 on eWheels.com).

Also, if speed is a concern, FWIW you can restrict max speed on both wheels via their mobile apps.

I am in the NYC-area as well, so feel free to PM me with any other questions or concerns (daily EUC rider of 2+ years).  

We also have an FB EUC rider community group chat that I can add you guys to for more resources if you're interested (we do group rides, help out the occasional beginner, etc.)

My beginner's opinion is, in doubt you should buy Inmotion over Ninebot (unless there's a big price difference or something specific else). From all I've heard, they are just newer and better. Don't underestimate how much motor power (more power = more safety!) and speed you might want. Also, I'm quite sure (maybe ask on Inmotion forum for 100% confirmation) you can set speed limits via the app (beeps and tiltback) so your sister can't go "too fast" (which isn't really a thing, natural instinct to ride safe does that well enough). How old and heavy is your sister? I recommend getting her a helmet and wrist guards (and maybe elbow/knee guards) with the wheel. Which is an awesome present, by the way!

edit: buy from a reputable seller (not amazon or so, rather ewheels.com and likewise) and don't forget to protect the wheel - first day it gets the most damage (cushion the pedal undersides and all "exposed if it falls" parts)

edit2: on further thought, there's no such thing as a beginner's wheel. There are higher-powered wheels (more expensive, bigger battery=heavier, bigger motors, faster top speed) and lower powered wheels (less expensive), but everyone can ride everything (except maybe a 8 year old girl a 70+ lbs monster wheel). One of the V5 variants is probably perfect for your sister, also check out the KingSong 14 inch models (14D is the latest). Or you might even want to upgrade to a 16 inch (who knows;)) depending on price and your sister's age/weight.

@meepmeepmayer those are some good points, especially I would like to add, in addition to buying from an established dealer who has probably unboxed the wheel and aired up the tire, is don't buy a super cheap wheel with a weak battery rating.  Like you said, get at least one level up from the lowest battery rating, and a name brand wheel like Inmotion or Ninebot is more likely to be safer and more reliable.

Having owned NineBot and ridden both NineBot and Inmotion V5F+, I can confidently recommend the Inmotion. Cover it well with protection, or it will be beat up soon and not look real good. I believe Jason at www.EWheels.com is currently offering a free cover for them.  He's a very good vendor. 

Another option is GotWay MCM4 or similar. Very durable and likely cheaper.  www.Tec-Toyz.com

17 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Cover it well with protection, or it will be beat up soon and not look real good.

The black glossy finish really looked good to me at first, but in videos really shows the scratches.  I'm leaning towards the white one now.  My Ninebot has tumbled many times, but the white finish still looks pretty good.

3 hours ago, zoeywill said:

Oh yes, pads, this is valuable info :).We will definitely need to equip with those. I will consider the V5F+, as well although is a bit faster. Just I am trying to balance between the fun and the safety, sorry if I sound overcautious.

When riding one wheel, overcautious is the smart way to go.  :whistling:  If you're not sure she will really enjoy riding around on one wheel, maybe check out some of @Duf 's learning videos.  He bought an el cheapo learning wheel like me for about $200 just to thrash around on.  It's highly likely she will catch the EUC riding bug and want something better though so maybe it's wise just to get something decent from the get go.  That way if she isn't keen on it, there will still be good resale value.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

The black glossy finish really looked good to me at first, but in videos really shows the scratches.  I'm leaning towards the white one now.  My Ninebot has tumbled many times, but the white finish still looks pretty good.

Jason is giving a free pre cut clear vinyl wrap with the V8. Not sure about the V5. That would prevent the scratching, and when you don't crash anymore, just peel it off. 

@Ombre I am starting to understand this need for the protectors now :) 

As regards the InMotion V5 I see that the cheapest model (V5 basic smth) at ewheels.com is about 70-80$ more than the One S1. And even more, the One S1 specs comparing to the V5 look a bit better (motor power, battery capacity, speed, range). I am checking specs here for S1 and for V5. But yeah, as @houseofjob said, in addition the v5 has lights and trolley handle. So I will probably think about it a bit, before buying.

@meepmeepmayer She's 16, about 55kg I think :)

Thanks for the answers, btw. You are all very polite!

54 minutes ago, zoeywill said:

@Ombre I am starting to understand this need for the protectors now :) 

As regards the InMotion V5 I see that the cheapest model (V5 basic smth) at ewheels.com is about 70-80$ more than the One S1. And even more, the One S1 specs comparing to the V5 look a bit better (motor power, battery capacity, speed, range). I am checking specs here for S1 and for V5. But yeah, as @houseofjob said, in addition the v5 has lights and trolley handle. So I will probably think about it a bit, before buying.

@meepmeepmayer She's 16, about 55kg I think :)

Thanks for the answers, btw. You are all very polite!

Yeah, my experience is only with the V5F+.  The F+ exceeds the NineBot in every way. It does around 25+ true miles at a slightly faster speed. The ninebot cannot touch that.  The build quality and options are also superior. 

But I totally understand finances, and you should get the one that fits your budget. I'm sure both will be fantastic. 

16 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Jason is giving a free pre cut clear vinyl wrap with the V8. Not sure about the V5. That would prevent the scratching, and when you don't crash anymore, just peel it off. 

I have received pre cut clear vinyl wrap for my V5F+ from Jason. I only applied for pedals since it came with a nicer thicker cover for the wheel itself.

Don't know If I am late to party, but if there was any interest for "hoverboard" then ninebot miniPro would be a great alternative. But I can understand the intention in going right to the top and buy an electric unicycle.

The reason I mention miniPro is that it just too easy to get on it and begin to have fun - literally within 5 minutes, while an EUC can be quite demanding (even exausting) in early learning phase.

3 hours ago, zoeywill said:

@Vik's Yeah, she's pretty familiar with hoverboards, but I guess she wants to struggle with the EUCs. :D

I love riding my Mini Pro, but there is nothing quite like the struggle of an EUC. ?

Don't bother with Ninebot.  I tried talking to their tech support, got nowhere, then I broke my wrist after the unit threw me off.  They wouldn't fix or even answer my emails.  This is a dangerous machine from Ninebot or the company they bought out, Segway.  You are putting your health and safety at risk by using them.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Carroll said:

Don't bother with Ninebot.  I tried talking to their tech support, got nowhere, then I broke my wrist after the unit threw me off.  They wouldn't fix or even answer my emails.  This is a dangerous machine from Ninebot or the company they bought out, Segway.  You are putting your health and safety at risk by using them.

What you describe here applies to almost any EUC. None of them are safe and can be dangerous. Just saying.

20 hours ago, Vik's said:

What you describe here applies to almost any EUC. None of them are safe and can be dangerous. Just saying.

Well I'm more specifically talking about Ninebot's lack of support for a machine after it malfunctioned.  I wouldn't paint all companies with that label, or perhaps the others don't give any support either.

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2017 at 2:19 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The Ninebot One S1 or S2 (I think one has two battery packs?) looks like a good all around wheel for beginners.  It is a 14" wheel so it can be a little harder to learn on.  I cut my teeth on a 14" generic Chinese clone wheel which served its purpose and got all beat up.  It was only about $250 though.  These Ninebots are pretty good in terms of durability, but I would recommend padding up the sides as the S1/S2 don't come with leg pads.  Side padding also helps with learning as well.  16" wheels can roll over more varied bumpy areas easier than a 14" I find at least.

Another wheel to consider is the InMotion V5F+ (a 14" wheel) or V8 (16") which has longer range and speed so it should last longer before that upgrade itch hits.

Do you know why NInebot ditched the leg pads on the S1/S2? I got one about 6 weeks ago and while I love it I don't understand why you would remove these pads. The wheel seems to have unnecessary wobble without them although I have nothing else to compare it to. But watching other videos, it looks like the pads offer a good bit of stability.

Can pads be added to the S1? Is that a total DIY thing?

4 hours ago, Michael Lutge said:

Do you know why NInebot ditched the leg pads on the S1/S2? I got one about 6 weeks ago and while I love it I don't understand why you would remove these pads. The wheel seems to have unnecessary wobble without them although I have nothing else to compare it to. But watching other videos, it looks like the pads offer a good bit of stability.

Can pads be added to the S1? Is that a total DIY thing?

The "pads" on E+ are really just controller and battery covers. S2 is a slimmer, smaller and more compact version overall with controller placed on top of the wheel and battries on both sides, making the protruding covers unnecessary.

As you ride more on your EUC, you'll find that you don't need to clamp the wheel with your legs, most of the time you will not touch the body of the wheel at all.

But if you want to add some pads to you wheel, there are some OEM pads to buy:

Original-ninebot-hoverboard-One-S2-A1-Pr

@SuperSport beat me to it :) And Yeah, they are original covers

It was probably purely an esthetic design choice to go with the clean pad-free look.   The battery is cleanly integrated under the shell cover.  For experienced riders not having the side pads probably doesn't make a huge difference.  The Ninebot One E+ pads are not really soft but sort of like a pleather over hard plastic shell cover.

I hear for tricks like grabbing onto the wheel to jump up is harder without a grippy surface on the sides.  The pads do protect the shell when the wheel falls over so they do have that helpful added benefit.  If you're a smooth operator like Vik's :D the wobbles should be fairly minimal.

Archived