Ninebot E+ Tyre Pressure

Goodman

Hey Guys,

Still haven't sold my ninebot one e+ yet and awaiting for the arrival of my Msuper but in the mean time can I ask the following:

On my ninebot e+ the wheel says the tyre pressure should be 40-45 psi, but I keep on reading people saying the tyre should be pumped up to 50-55 psi. So does that mean I can pump my tyres up to 50 psi without it a problem? I currently have mine at 45 psi but if I could without doing any damage I would pump it up more.

I've been at 50 psi on mine since new, and it seems to be okay.  45-50 psi isn't a huge difference.  I think it depends on how responsive and cushiony you want the tire.  I'm about 167 pounds, and the wheel does fine for me.  I think they came with two different tires originally.  I don't know if there was much difference between the two in terms of air pressure.  Maybe @SuperSport can comment.

This is my tire.  It says inflate to 35-45 psi on it.

0c7dbafcde.jpg

I've been reading some old Ninebot threads, and it looks like some even prefer 55 psi to 65 so I think 50 psi should be fine!

It's kind of interesting reading through the old threads and seeing familiar topics repeating themselves (eg. How slow can you ride) and seeing forum regulars talk about their Ninebots from years gone by.

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've been at 50 psi on mine since new, and it seems to be okay.  45-50 psi isn't a huge difference.  I think it depends on how responsive and cushiony you want the tire.  I'm about 167 pounds, and the wheel does fine for me.  I think they came with two different tires originally.  I don't know if there was much difference between the two in terms of air pressure.  Maybe @SuperSport can comment.

0c7dbafcde.jpg

Where do you see that?:lol:  That's a good photo, never noticed the new age electrical outlet ideogram before.  Maybe @Chris Westland could translate this?

LOL :lol: The tire inflation pressure is located elsewhere on the tire.  That's the brand name I think?  My guess at the translation would be "Warning! Those Who Ride One Wheel Go Ouchie Faceplant Bye Bye!"  Do you see the crack in the face character there?  I've had some Chinese take out before so I can safely say that is exactly what that says on there.  :innocent1:

1d7b34fd10.jpg

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

LOL :lol: The tire inflation pressure is located elsewhere on the tire.  That's the brand name I think?  My guess at the translation would be "Warning! Those Who Ride One Wheel Go Ouchie Faceplant Bye Bye!"  Do you see the crack in the face character there?  I've had some Chinese take out before so I can safely say that is exactly what that says on there.  :innocent1:

1d7b34fd10.jpg

I think it means for all of the wording is like the first 4 characters are the brand name and tyre, the next lot of characters meaning special tyres for electric powered vehicles. Something like that :) I think.

10 hours ago, steve454 said:

Where do you see that?:lol:  That's a good photo, never noticed the new age electrical outlet ideogram before.  Maybe @Chris Westland could translate this?

According to google - its a "Positive New Wheel tyre - Kenda vehicle dedicated tyre" :)

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

正新轮胎 = genuine new tire
锂电车专用胎 = lithium electric vehicle special use tire

The "electrical socket" character 锂 is lithium ... I actually had to check this as I don't know my chemistry well in Chinese; I guessed it from the radical and pronunciation ... the left part of the character means it is a metal (金=gold or metal) and the right side is the pronunciation (里 is pronounced "li") ... so lithium ... then looked it up.

The brand name "Kenda" is pronounced "jianda" 建大 = "build big" in standard Mandarin.  The pronunciation I presume is Hokkien, which is the standard dialect in Taiwan (though I am comfortable with my Mandarin there as well).

BTW I keep my V8 and Zero tires at 44psi (my tires say they can be pushed to 65psi, but I've experimented and don't notice a difference in feel above about 45psi).  I'm also very happy with my Gozens 44psi caps for monitoring this pressure and the insurance provided by Sliming the tires.  It just avoids the annoyance of worrying about constant tire maintenance.  I wrote about this elsewhere in the forum.

12 hours ago, Vik's said:

"Positive New Wheel tyre - Kenda vehicle dedicated tyre"

9 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

lithium electric vehicle special use tire

That's very interesting to finally learn what the sidewall says and that they are made for the EUC's.  Thanks, guys.

20 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My guess at the translation would be "Warning! Those Who Ride One Wheel Go Ouchie Faceplant Bye Bye!"  Do you see the crack in the face character there?

Ha! Ha!:lol:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tech Nossomy said:

My Ninebot was recently inflated to 4 bar (close to 60 psi) and getting into tiltback is much harder now and have much more consistent pacing.

I am also riding at 4 bar most of the time. But with Ninebot One, people need to check what their individual tire is rated for, instead of blindly copying what other NB1 owners are doing. There seem to be different configurations out there, which call for different tire pressure.

For example, I recently learned that there are NB1 E+ with a 16x1.9 tire! These must be the ones rated for 35 to 45 psi. I would not recommend to ride those at 4 bar (58 psi). My own NB1 E+ on the other hand, came with a 16x2.125 tire. This one is rated for 40 to 65 psi (printed on the side wall).

So, it really depends on your specific wheel. I wonder, though... Did they ship E+ with different motors? The 1.9 and the 2.125 inch wide tires imply that the rims are incompatible between different units of the same model. Different rim must mean different motor, right? 

52 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

I recently learned that there are NB1 E+ with a 16x1.9 tire! These must be the ones rated for 35 to 45 psi. I would not recommend to ride those at 4 bar (58 psi). My own NB1 E+ on the other hand, came with a 16x2.125 tire. This one is rated for 40 to 65 psi (printed on the side wall).

My tire is a CST e-BIKE PRO ,16x1.195 rated at 35-45 psi, 2.4-3.1 bar.  I keep it between 40 and 50 psi.  Looks like yours has the better tire.  So far I have had no problems with the tire, 380 miles on it mostly dirt and pea gravel bike/walking trails.  I guess they used whatever tire was available at the time, BTW I am pretty sure you can put different size tires on the same rim, as long as the diameter is the same.  I just now learned that there are two different size tires on the NB1 E+ !

1 hour ago, dpong said:

The Kenda tire on my NB1 E+ has max pressure of 65psi, so 60 is probably ok. 

Looks like you got the good tire also.  Maybe when Ninebot changed to the N20 serial numbers they changed the tire?

49 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

Different rim must mean different motor, right? 

You could be right, maybe they changed the motors at some point.  I imagine the motors come with the tire already installed,  i see what you mean now.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:22 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

0c7dbafcde.jpg

That's my tire also!

On 3/21/2017 at 0:42 AM, Goodman said:

Hey Guys,

Still haven't sold my ninebot one e+ yet and awaiting for the arrival of my Msuper but in the mean time can I ask the following:

On my ninebot e+ the wheel says the tyre pressure should be 40-45 psi, but I keep on reading people saying the tyre should be pumped up to 50-55 psi. So does that mean I can pump my tyres up to 50 psi without it a problem? I currently have mine at 45 psi but if I could without doing any damage I would pump it up more.

For me, 45 is the sweet spot, I keep mine at about 40-50, when it starts to feel mushy and soft I pump it up to 50 and it rides good for a few weeks.  50 almost seems too hard, but is still good.  Some of it depends on the suspension sensitivity setting you put in the app,  but I think it doesn't hurt the tire to have 50 psi unless maybe you are dropping off high curbs or hit a pothole, the sudden increase in pressure might cause a bubble to appear if there are any thin/weak spots in the sidewall.  That was a problem with a different brand of tire, I forget the name, but some people said it was very cushiony and they liked the tire, but it didn't hold up to EUC use and some had sidewall bubbles after awhile. 

I was wondering about the tires that equip our wheels. Are they designed for this specific use or are they just borrowed from the bike world? Because in this case the recommended pressure might be wrong, being recommended for a weight shared on two wheels, not one. Even in the automotive field it is recommended to increase the tire pressure in case of heavy load ...

23 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

I am also riding at 4 bar most of the time. But with Ninebot One, people need to check what their individual tire is rated for, instead of blindly copying what other NB1 owners are doing. There seem to be different configurations out there, which call for different tire pressure.

For example, I recently learned that there are NB1 E+ with a 16x1.9 tire! These must be the ones rated for 35 to 45 psi. I would not recommend to ride those at 4 bar (58 psi). My own NB1 E+ on the other hand, came with a 16x2.125 tire. This one is rated for 40 to 65 psi (printed on the side wall).

So, it really depends on your specific wheel. I wonder, though... Did they ship E+ with different motors? The 1.9 and the 2.125 inch wide tires imply that the rims are incompatible between different units of the same model. Different rim must mean different motor, right? 

23 hours ago, steve454 said:

My tire is a CST e-BIKE PRO ,16x1.195 rated at 35-45 psi, 2.4-3.1 bar.  I keep it between 40 and 50 psi.  Looks like yours has the better tire.  So far I have had no problems with the tire, 380 miles on it mostly dirt and pea gravel bike/walking trails.  I guess they used whatever tire was available at the time, BTW I am pretty sure you can put different size tires on the same rim, as long as the diameter is the same.  I just now learned that there are two different size tires on the NB1 E+ !

Looks like you got the good tire also.  Maybe when Ninebot changed to the N20 serial numbers they changed the tire?

I've got 16x1.95 CST tire too. As they produce newer 9b1's they do change some incremental cosmetical things like rubber pads on pedals, side covers (soft touch to leather-ish stitched ones), CST to Kenda tires etc. The product is still the same, they are getting parts from different sources just like any other company (like i.e. computers and cars). The reasons can be anything from sources being unable to deliver enough parts or price change or contract ending.

The motors are not delivered with the tire installed.  1.95 and 2.125 can be fitted on the same rims (just as on usual bikes). In fact what is written on the sidewall is just a recommended pressure for usual 2-wheel usage. Ninebot ordering specific tires and test them to comply with their products requirements. And like @FULspeed correctly assume - the heavier the load - the higher pressure is needed.

23 hours ago, steve454 said:

You could be right, maybe they changed the motors at some point.  I imagine the motors come with the tire already installed,  i see what you mean now.

Them motors are delivered without tires installed. Interestingly, the motors and chargers are the only parts (and maybe Lexan shells) that are unchanged since early production models

22 hours ago, steve454 said:

For me, 45 is the sweet spot, I keep mine at about 40-50, when it starts to feel mushy and soft I pump it up to 50 and it rides good for a few weeks.  50 almost seems too hard, but is still good.  Some of it depends on the suspension sensitivity setting you put in the app,  but I think it doesn't hurt the tire to have 50 psi unless maybe you are dropping off high curbs or hit a pothole, the sudden increase in pressure might cause a bubble to appear if there are any thin/weak spots in the sidewall.  That was a problem with a different brand of tire, I forget the name, but some people said it was very cushiony and they liked the tire, but it didn't hold up to EUC use and some had sidewall bubbles after awhile. 

Schwalbe Big Apple, yes. Sidewalls are too soft on them and cannot stand the high load of EUC use.

22 hours ago, FULspeed said:

I was wondering about the tires that equip our wheels. Are they designed for this specific use or are they just borrowed from the bike world? Because in this case the recommended pressure might be wrong, being recommended for a weight shared on two wheels, not one. Even in the automotive field it is recommended to increase the tire pressure in case of heavy load ...

You're correct. Both Kenda and CST tires are electric-type use tires. But that is normally two-wheels devices. Ninebot choosing those specific models because of their endurance and durability (they are almost indestructible and long wearing)

And just like with bicycle- and automotive- tires, the pressure should be chosen according to usage scenario and weight/load. Additionally bike riders can vary the tire pressure to help them reach the most comfortable ride.

Archived