Cogswell Dam Ride - April 1st 2017

Marty Backe

I've ridden this trail once (see video at end) and want to revisit it at least one more time before summer (when it might be too hot). This is a mixture of paved trail riding through absolutely beautiful scenic conditions and wide dirt/gravel trail riding. I would classify this as a moderate skill level ride. About 22 miles out-and-back, so any wheel with a 30 mile range should comfortably handle this trip.

If you want to ride along, join me on Saturday April 1st at ~9am. Watch the weather and perhaps dress in layers. It can be chilly on the first leg as we ride at the bottom of a ravine that is cast in shadow from the mountains above. As we return 2-3 hours later the temperatures could be quite a bit warmer.

This would be classified as remote riding so bring water and food just in case. It should be noted that if your wheel were to break you could potentially have to walk it out for 10 miles. Expect the best but prepare for the worst :) 

We will meet at this parking spot: https://goo.gl/maps/qqm6j4Fv6KQ2 It's unlikely to be filled, but if so, there are additional parking areas a short EUC ride south (you'll pass them as you drive here). For travel time, it will take you about 30 minutes to drive to the parking area from the 605 & 210 freeway junction.  There is zero cell phone coverage in this area.

Hope you can join us. Reply to this topic so we'll know that you'll be joining us.

@jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells 

2 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Count me in !!!!

Unless something comes up, I'll be there. 

Allen

Great. You'll love it.

8 minutes ago, swvision said:

I'll see you guys there.

This might fix that crack Marty:

Sugru (sets at room temp) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VXJM58/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_4_w

Thanks for the tip. I saw another reference to that stuff in the last month or so. The broken shell only affects sealing the shell from rain, so for now I'm leaving it as is. Eventually I'll get around to repairing it.

2 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

WOW that looks like an awesome place to ride. Ill pray to the gotway gods to send my ACM in time for this trip.

You were expected it soon, a few weeks ago? I guess when you get the shipping tracking number you're know it's soon.

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You were expected it soon, a few weeks ago? I guess when you get the shipping tracking number you're know it's soon.

Yeah.. its been over 6 weeks since i placed my order. I was expecting it earlier but i wouldnt be surprised if it takes a few more weeks.

I still havent gotten any shipping information from Ian ?

On 3/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, Marty Backe said:

I've ridden this trail once (see video at end) and want to revisit it at least one more time before summer (when it might be too hot). This is a mixture of paved trail riding through absolutely beautiful scenic conditions and wide dirt/gravel trail riding. I would classify this as a moderate skill level ride. About 22 miles out-and-back, so any wheel with a 30 mile range should comfortably handle this trip.

If you want to ride along, join me on Saturday April 1st at ~9am. Watch the weather and perhaps dress in layers. It can be chilly on the first leg as we ride at the bottom of a ravine that is cast in shadow from the mountains above. As we return 2-3 hours later the temperatures could be quite a bit warmer.

This would be classified as remote riding so bring water and food just in case. It should be noted that if your wheel were to break you could potentially have to walk it out for 10 miles. Expect the best but prepare for the worst :) 

We will meet at this parking spot: https://goo.gl/maps/qqm6j4Fv6KQ2 It's unlikely to be filled, but if so, there are additional parking areas a short EUC ride south (you'll pass them as you drive here). For travel time, it will take you about 30 minutes to drive to the parking area from the 605 & 210 freeway junction.  There is zero cell phone coverage in this area.

Hope you can join us. Reply to this topic so we'll know that you'll be joining us.

@jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells 

Great vid showing that the Monster can handle such rough terrain.  It looks like the go to wheel for off road and on road exploration.  Handles large bumps with ease.  Also, at times, the tire starts looking like it spins backwards.  That illusion always makes me smile.;

For those with Google Earth you can preview the ride via the attached file. The GPS reception in the canyons wasn't great so the track is a bit wonky, but you'll be able to clearly see the route.

20170317 - Cogswell Dam.kmz

On 3/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, Marty Backe said:

I've ridden this trail once (see video at end) and want to revisit it ....

Marty, this looks great, and if you are still doing this during the coming summer when I am in Ojai, I'd love to take the ride over (maybe around 100 m) and join you.  You said the route is 22 m or so ... I think my V8 should be just be able to do that, but I might consider a shortcut back if it doesn't.  

2 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Marty, this looks great, and if you are still doing this during the coming summer when I am in Ojai, I'd love to take the ride over (maybe around 100 m) and join you.  You said the route is 22 m or so ... I think my V8 should be just be able to do that, but I might consider a shortcut back if it doesn't.  

Knowing other people that have a V8, I think it would be too long. But let me know and we can plan a group ride for you (Saturday or Sunday). I could loan you a wheel (if you could trust a Gotway ;)) or we could do another more V8 friendly route.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Knowing other people that have a V8, I think it would be too long. But let me know and we can plan a group ride for you (Saturday or Sunday). I could loan you a wheel (if you could trust a Gotway ;)) or we could do another more V8 friendly route.

That sounds great Marty!  I just got back from a Lakefront ride (see map ...the first real "Spring" day we've had in Chicago) and decided to run the V8 down to one red bar.  Total distance was about 16 miles.  I didn't push the wheel, but had a headwind of ~18mph on the first half of the trip.   I'm guessing in the CA mountains, the V8 would max out at 15m.   I would definitely take you up on a loan; I'm actually very keen to try one of the Gotways, and there is really no one else it seems riding EUC's in Chicago.  I'm guessing for mountain roads, the Gotways are performers.  

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.03.00 PM.png

12 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

That sounds great Marty!  I just got back from a Lakefront ride (see map ...the first real "Spring" day we've had in Chicago) and decided to run the V8 down to one red bar.  Total distance was about 16 miles.  I didn't push the wheel, but had a headwind of ~18mph on the first half of the trip.   I'm guessing in the CA mountains, the V8 would max out at 15m.   I would definitely take you up on a loan; I'm actually very keen to try one of the Gotways, and there is really no one else it seems riding EUC's in Chicago.  I'm guessing for mountain roads, the Gotways are performers.  

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.03.00 PM.png

I grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I can imagine that the lakefront offers a lot of nice riding areas. Hope to see you this summer.

I believe that I found the parking lot.  But on the street view, it appears that anyone that parks there is suppose to have some sort of pass (forest day pass maybe?).

The "Cogswell dam2.jpg" photo shows a sign in the parking lot that states this I believe.

Allen

Cogswell dam1.jpg

Cogswell dam2.jpg

21 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

I believe that I found the parking lot.  But on the street view, it appears that anyone that parks there is suppose to have some sort of pass (forest day pass maybe?).

The "Cogswell dam2.jpg" photo shows a sign in the parking lot that states this I believe.

Allen

Cogswell dam1.jpg

Cogswell dam2.jpg

Perhaps you're right, and I was lucky. The fee is $5 (I think). A little before the parking lot is an area that I believe you can buy the pass, but I'm not positive.

See https://goo.gl/maps/kSAnVzNgZSw  It was manned when I was there, and I watched a YouTube video where I guy pulled up in his truck and a ranger came out of the building to help him.

Here's another link about this parking area: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/angeles/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=41952&actid=50  which appears to confirm the $5 fee.

I just don't know yet where this pass can be purchased

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Perhaps you're right, and I was lucky. The fee is $5 (I think). A little before the parking lot is an area that I believe you can buy the pass, but I'm not positive.

See https://goo.gl/maps/kSAnVzNgZSw  It was manned when I was there, and I watched a YouTube video where I guy pulled up in his truck and a ranger came out of the building to help him.

Here's another link about this parking area: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/angeles/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=41952&actid=50  which appears to confirm the $5 fee.

I just don't know yet where this pass can be purchased

I checked online and it looks like the Big 5 on El Segundo Blvd, near Aviation, sells the daily and the yearly pass.

Here's a link that you can put a zip code into and it will tell you where:
https://www.fs.fed.us/portaldata/r5/ap/r5-ap-vendors.php

I called the 7-Eleven which is at the base of the mountain (you have to drive past it to drive up the mountain) and confirmed that they sell the day pass for $5.

https://goo.gl/maps/stjJhqHQLd22

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I called the 7-Eleven which is at the base of the mountain (you have to drive past it to drive up the mountain) and confirmed that they sell the day pass for $5.

https://goo.gl/maps/stjJhqHQLd22

I just may get an annual pass.  I think that it's suppose to be $30.  I can see myself possibly using it more than 6 times in a year's time.

Allen

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

I ended up getting the annual pass at the Big 5 in El Segundo. 

IMG_3215.JPG

There's a Big 5 in Downey so I may try and get my day pass there. Thanks.

Looks like the weather is going to be perfect. It'll probably be in the 60's as we start out and 80's by the time we return.

A reminder for those who are riding Cogswell tomorrow ( @swvision @noisycarlos @abinder3), get your Day Pass for the parking. I bought mine today at a Big 5 store for $5. Only took a couple of minutes.

Archived