Advantages EUC vs bicycle

Pingouin

Smaller (take it with you/on train/etc).

Faster.

No effort! As a result, more usage (exploration etc).

My old bike was stolen but I plan to use the EUC for joy rides where I might have used a bike instead (or not done them at all). For "serious" rides (aka city) I'd like the legal situation to catch up first.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, esaj said:

One clear advantage bikes have: you can ride it relatively safely intoxicated (well, up to a point), unlike an EUC :D

That's interesting, because I feel quite the opposite! Bikes are harder to keep "straight and level" when inebriated, whereas EUC:s become even more of an extension of oneself than normal. Maybe that's just me, though. :P

Edit: It just came to me that maybe people have different ideas of what a "bike" is. The bike I've been riding the most for the last few years is a road bike with a pretty short trail (meaning the head angle is closer to 90° than it normally is for, say, a mountin bike).

Edited by thefork
  • Upvote 2

For commute to work, the EUC is easier to take on/off the bus.  A bicycle has to be loaded onto a special frame on the front of the bus which seems pretty awkward.

I don't arrive at work sweaty.

Once at the office, I take it straight to my desk.  Bikes are parked in a bike cage in the parking garage.

Coming home, I go up a long hill - which isn't easy for the EUC, but is a real workout on a bike.

And let's face it... EUCs are way cooler.  When was the last time someone stopped you and asked about your bike?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

For me the only area where a bike is truly winning is in its legality, and its use for exercise.

Well, to be fair to the bike...

• An EUC turns into a brick when the battery goes dead.  (I forgot to charge mine one night, and it couldn't make it up the hill on day 2.)
  • I think that the risk of accident and injury are much lower on a bike.  I know someone who seriously face-planted on a bike, but that's a bizarre rarity.
  • It's easier to carry things on a bike with saddle bags, basket, or rack.  So grocery shopping is more practical.

But all in all, for short in-town sprints, the EUC is awesome.

• Upvote 1

Easy for me as is apples and oranges.

Riding rough trails on my mountain bike is by far my prefered cardio workout, which is simply not possible with an EUC as does not get ones heart to rate.

Also not the same to ride a road bike for an hour for excersize compared to an EUC.

That said still super fun to EUC for fun but not  heart work out.

With out exagerating to much I use each almost every day but I would say if I was to comute and had to choose it would depend on EXACTLY where and the route.

I am sure some would be just fine to EUC where others would be much better suited to bikes.

If I remember well I once read that a fit man on a good bike is one of the most if not the most effiecient machines known to man.

So that is just fun to consider IMHO.

ukj

Edited by UKJ
typè
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for all of your replies !

I was thinking of the advantages of EUC over bicycles to go to work, to have fun, not so much to get muscles, I have been riding bicycles all the time for years and even with exercice I was never able to get to work without sweating, unlike with EUC. I don't see EUC as a sport, but more of an object that gives you freedom of going effortlessly wherever you wanna go.

When comparing them to E-bikes, they are more fun, and they take so much less place, and are more practical, and they don't get stolen that easily, an E-bike can still go on with no battery but at least for mine, it's a huge pain in the a**, and most good E-bikes are a little more expensive than EUC.

I never let my EUC outside, it draws too much attention ^^

On 17/03/2017 at 10:56 PM, esaj said:

That's mainly a question of whether or not you leave your bike outside. Again, EUC could be stolen pretty much as easily if left outside, but it does save space.

I've had friends riding bikes, but never anyone with an EUC. Last summer when there was the chance, I didn't have a working wheel though, so... :P 

Bikes have the advantage that they're muscle powered (never had one, but I think you can pedal an e-bike just fine if it's out of power? probably weighs a lot more than normal though), and even if you suffer a flat tire, it's relatively easy to push it back home. With an EUC, I can't see myself dragging the damn thing for, say, 10km back home, as it can't be carried or pushed easily without power, probably not even with a trolley handle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 19 March 2017 at 4:54 PM, Pingouin said:

I don't see EUC as a sport, but more of an object that gives you freedom of going effortlessly wherever you wanna go.

To me, EUC is also sport. But it's not right to compare it with biking (as a sport). It's something in the different category. Maybe in the motor sports. :) 

On 17/3/2017 at 10:18 PM, Pingouin said:

What do you think ? Some of you guys decided to abandon your bicycle for an EUC ?

I abandon my ebike because I needed a replacement. After get the euc I also ready to replace my motorcycle. The advantage is the ability to ride wherever you walk, is not a vehicle is a extension of the body. No worries or time expend in parking, no need of special wearing, low maintenance, half chances of puncture, work nicely with wheel barrow, trolleys, and even can manage a motorcycle rescue. The possibilities are endless.

The bike is a well designed machine perfected along decades, ebike are the last evolution and they are really outplaying the euc in performance but keeping being a bike with his handicap

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I use my bike and my 14" EUC often. For most situations, I have a clear preference.

For trips under a mile, I use my EUC. This gives me the option of carrying my EUC with me, instead of locking up. I also get free reign of the sidewalk (no one seems to walk in my neighborhood), rather than having to deal with cars on the road.

If I'm carrying more than I can fit in a backpack, I use my EUC. It took a bit of practice, but any load I can walk with, I can now carry with me on my EUC.

If I'm taking public transport, I use my EUC. Even though buses have bike racks. It's just simpler.

If it's raining, I use my EUC. I find it easier to keep my feet dry on an EUC, though I haven't really shopped around for wet-weather biking gear. I can also use the wet-weather wear I already own (which would be too warm or too baggy for a bicycle). It's also frustrating to do 10-15 minute commutes in the cold on my bicycle, since I spend the first half being too cold, and the next half being too warm. On an EUC, I can dress warmly and not care. This can be alleviated if my bike is electric, though.

For any trip over 15 miles, I take my bike (quite a no-brainer). For routes where most of my trip has no sidewalk or dedicated bike path, I use my bike - I don't think cars quite know what to do with an EUC on the road.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/18/2017 at 8:44 PM, UKJ said:

Easy for me as is apples and oranges.

Riding rough trails on my mountain bike is by far my prefered cardio workout, which is simply not possible with an EUC as does not get ones heart to rate.

Also not the same to ride a road bike for an hour for excersize compared to an EUC.

That said still super fun to EUC for fun but not  heart work out.

With out exagerating to much I use each almost every day but I would say if I was to comute and had to choose it would depend on EXACTLY where and the route.

I am sure some would be just fine to EUC where others would be much better suited to bikes.

If I remember well I once read that a fit man on a good bike is one of the most if not the most effiecient machines known to man.

So that is just fun to consider IMHO.

ukj

Cardio is useless for fitness and even harmful for muscles. See what Bart Kay says.

I live in a city that has a poor cyclist infrastructure and quite some hills. (Maybe not as much as say San Francisco, but still, going almost anywhere means some uphil/downhill.) I tried a city bike (low middle bar, storage space in back and front), but it was a pain to get anywhere, and then I had to leave it locked outside, fearing it gets stolen (happened once to me...).

So, I tried a Brompton. It's a small foldable bike, so I could take it with me anywhere, and the storage on it was better designed and more practical than with the classical bikes with a bag on handlebar, but it still meant that when I got anywhere, I needed a shower, and I was breathing car fumes while exercising. So I decided that it might be actually worse for my health and stopped that.

I thought about an e-bike, but that would mean a lot of cash for something that can be stolen easily (or even more cash for an electric foldable), plus the cheap e-bikes have a low range and it's pain to power them when they are dead. At that time I got to EUC and found out that they are

1. way more fun
  2. portable, I can take them anywhere as with a folding bike, but I don't need to fold it
  3. multi-purpose (a foldable bike is terrible for a weekend gravel-road ride, so I needed a second bike for free time, but my V11 handles even rock-and-roots paths as well as city errands)
  4. in general, without special preparations, I can carry more on an EUC (a bag in each hand), than on a bike (bags on handlebars are a really bad idea, and I can put just one such bag in front of the bike)
  5. it straightened my twisted back:D
  6. it is a conversation starter
  7. local laws specific: I can drink and ride on an EUC, but not on a bike.

@esaj As for pushing it when dead or with a flat tire: The EUC generally has enough juice left inside for strolling a few miles even when you can't ride it (at least Inmotion wheels have), so unless it is broken, you can push. And strolling with a flat tire is perhaps more inconvenient than with a bike (it's twisty), but it's perfectly doable - a personal experience as well. But you need an EUC with a handle in both cases.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 2:44 PM, UKJ said:

I have to disagree with you on this one UKJ. If your riding isn't getting the heart rate going, try upping trail difficulty. Long technical trails especially with elevation changes, the inevitable wrecks, and chance encounters lugging your wheel over unrollable obstacles in full gear, these are things that definitely get the ol' ticker going! Cardio can absolutely be had on EUCs.

To the OP's question -

Hell no, hell no have I abandoned my ebikes. They're still a fantastic hobby and an extremely cheap form of transportation (once built or bought) that occupies relatively little storage space while also have zero recurring ownership fees in the form of registration, insurance, and other such nonsense. It's great to have options. That said, in a competition of what's the most fun to ride, the EUC takes the cake for sure.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:46 PM, Cerbera said:

For me the only area where a bike is truly winning is in its legality, and its use for exercise. 

The other ones i didnt see mentioned are carrying cargo and riding on ice/snow. 

i can pretty easily carry a full grocery load for my family on a bike. Has to be a small load on the EUC. 

and i feel completely confident riding the bike on snow and ice on the street, but even snow it feels like a terrible decision to commute on an euc. 

1 hour ago, Richardo said:

and i feel completely confident riding the bike on snow and ice on the street, but even snow it feels like a terrible decision to commute on an euc. 

Studded tire on euc - ride the same as on summer asphalt. :efee8319ab: -20c FTW :D 

Edited by Funky

For most US businesses and government organizations, bicycles are a big no-no even if they aren't explicitly banned. They are functionally banned by most organizations because managers and supervisors won't allow bicyclists to come in with body odor, and most such organizations don't have shower facilities.

That leaves just eScooters and EUCs (and perhaps eBikes on their highest settings) as allowable commutes.

Of course, managers and supervisors won't out and out say bicyclists are banned.

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

For most US businesses and government organizations, bicycles are a big no-no even if they aren't explicitly banned. They are functionally banned by most organizations because managers and supervisors won't allow bicyclists to come in with body odor, and most such organizations don't have shower facilities.

That leaves just eScooters and EUCs (and perhaps eBikes on their highest settings) as allowable commutes.

Of course, managers and supervisors won't out and out say bicyclists are banned.

Lol i have ridden to job many years on bike - i never had a sweat doing so.

If you don't speed like crazy, but simply ride at normal paste.. You wont sweat. And won't have a "body order".

@Funky I would like to see someone who does not sweat in 30+ °C when going uphill in the sun, even at a snail pace. In such case, I sweat even when walking, and I'm in a reasonable shape, always running stairs up rather than walking them, etc. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Funky said:

Lol i have ridden to job many years on bike - i never had a sweat doing so.

If you don't speed like crazy, but simply ride at normal paste.. You wont sweat. And won't have a "body order".

I would speculate that either you don't have to ride up hills or on an e-bike, or you have a medical condition.

• Upvote 1

euc's are great for year round use and very convenient but if its nice out and i have to go far and get their today i pull out the e-bike. theres places where the route to where im going bottle necks to a highway where you need to hit atleast 75 km/h for a short stretch or go on a scenic tour that adds 10 km's to the route to get there. theres no pedaling at the speeds i travel on an ebike or risk of doing a cut out faceplant

Edited by goatman

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

I would speculate that either you don't have to ride up hills or on an e-bike, or you have a medical condition.

2 hours ago, Zopper said:

@Funky I would like to see someone who does not sweat in 30+ °C when going uphill in the sun, even at a snail pace. In such case, I sweat even when walking, and I'm in a reasonable shape, always running stairs up rather than walking them, etc. 

Yup no hills at all.. Flat straight road. Going 10-15mph. 

At 30+C everyone sweats.. As you said, even walking you will sweat. :D < At that point it's completely pointless to compare. At that heat even standing i would sweat..

I was thinking more about 15-20C temps. Riding slowly.. Anything that gets you heart rate going, will make you sweat.

Edited by Funky