meepmeepmayer

[one more GOTWAY WARNING] ACM died on a hill (it was bad cabling + high stress, final update pg 16)

379 posts in this topic

I keep hearing it, as I try to listen.  Not Gotway.  Not now.  Not yet.  Someday, maybe.  Not yet. 

Yep, KS16S and Rockwheel GT16 look like mighty fine alternatives right now...

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Glad that you escaped with some just minor scrapes, but carrying that wheel must have been arduous.  Hopefully you were not too far away from your car.

I wonder with the burnt smell and the resistance to turning whether it could be a burned out MOSFET rather than a disconnection.  Do you have the 12 MOSFET board?  I think the 6 MOSFET controllers were mostly swapped out?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

84V ACMs only come with 12 mfets as far as I know.

I was thinking about mainboard failure, but discarded it because the rest (lights) work like normal. Also, should there be no temperature or anything warning for the mfets overheating?

But you might be right. Not sure how to interpret the "locked" tire, I thought it was because of interrupted connections to the battery, you can't get rid of the induction currents so the wheel will brake itself (or something like that). Would a damaged mfet do something similar?

Posted (edited)

Yeah dunno.  Could very well be a disconnect, but I don't recall the others mentioning that the motor resists turning when a motor wire disconnects.  Maybe after you hear from Ian, please do post up some photos for a postmortem analysis.  Do the Gotways start beeping or tilting back when their temperatures get too hot on the controller board?  Everyone should ride with a logging program so we can see some data just in case of failure.  @Paco Gorina has a handy app that I think works with Gotway and several other wheels now.

BTW a 20 degree hill is pretty steep!  :blink: 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeah dunno.  Could very well be a disconnect, but I don't recall the others mentioning that the motor resists turning when a motor wire disconnects.  Maybe after you hear from Ian, please do post up some photos for a postmortem analysis.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Do the Gotways start beeping or tilting back when their temperatures get too hot on the controller board?

I wish I knew. Should't they? In gotsight, dumb to assume that.

--

I really hope it's "just" the motor connectors. Just traced the route on Google maps, and it's around 20% average incline. If it's the mosfets, that would make the ACM generally unusable for the kind of mountains I want to do. So there might be wishful thinking in me suspecting the motor connectors.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear about that issue. This stuff is not engineered and not tested on the bench with maximum loads. PLEV for example likes to see a high voltage/ load test to make sure harness/ motor winding have a enough safety margin that something like this doesn't happen. 

Edited by OliverH

Posted (edited)

edit: beep information corrected

Thanks for your help everybody! What's the best way to contact Ian? FB private message?

--

Since I can't sleep, now I can give a better description of what the wheel does:

• The burnt smell was not strong, rather light. Just exactly like some small burnt electronics part would smell. I smelled it a little while carrying the wheel down the road if held in front of face. Now no smell at all.
  • Switching on the ACM, it does its usual beep, jerks a bit (like starting to balance) but stops after the first jerk
  • It makes 2 long-ish beeps (each about as long as a usual speed warning beep) in short succession
  • Followed by 4 short beeps (each as long as the switch on beep) and the 5 LEDs are blinking red (probably 2 short beeps per second)
  • Switching on, there's a jerk, then it stops balancing and there's a long beep, immediately followed by 5 short ones
  • Then only the LEDs keep blinking red until you switch it off (which it confirms with the regular beep)
  • Light can be operated as usual
  • I can connect to the wheel with wheellog (GW app, being the crap that it is, decided to be stuck on loading screen independently of the wheel issue). It gives me a believable temperature (of what?) at 23°C and shows the battery at 0%!

--

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love Good video. Maybe 15% is a better estimate. The steeper part of the road right at the end of the video looks about similar.

@Marty Backe Yea I was thinking of you (and your connector repair) when it happened. The beginning of your latest Griffith park video, I don't think I've been much steeper than that (maybe a bit). Will definitely get back when I know more.

@Radislav Unless I'm suddenly deaf, it made absolutely no beeps prior to the cut out. Also no tiltback, you surely can't miss that. As far as I remember, pedals were normal until the end.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

I'd say get some sleep and email/call Speedyfeet first thing England time.  I'm sure they will sort everything out for you.  No use thinking too much about it.  If it's a control board or disconnected wire or bad motor Ian will get it fixed for you that's something you can be certain of.

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep, KS16S and Rockwheel GT16 look like mighty fine alternatives right now...

Thanks for heads up, Ian should be able to sort it out, it's unfortunate that I will have to send mine back also as I only unboxed it a few days ago. Funny as you mention it - but I've had my eyes on both those EXACT wheels and it seems the better alternative lol. Keep us all posted!

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So I just did a night mountain ride and my 84V 1300Wh Gotway ACM died on me with no warning.

Sorry buddy! So glad you did not break anything! Damn this sucks! I have not ridden my ACM 1600 just because of all the Gotway issues! I just do not feel safe! Yes please keep us update! I am tearing into my ACM this weekend as well! I am now regretting my purchase!

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I spent some time looking for the post, but I couldn't find it. One of the Gotway reps posted a few months ago a chart that listed what all the possible beeps meant 

The more I read the more pissed off I become! :furious: Does anyone have any direct contact information for the Gotway reps? We all need to band together as a group and contact them with a rage of dissatisfaction!

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks like this might be the well-known motor wires connector issue, but this time it's an ACM, not an msuper V3. Afaik this is the first reported such incident with an ACM. So be careful, all GW models can be affected (assuming it's no other issue). If you have a GW wheel manufactured before March (roughly), you have a problem.

To be fair here...this was quiet clear and known.....that the failure is on ALL newer GW wheels since release of Msuper V3....perhaps except MCM...as this has not enough power to melt the Connection.

i am very sorry that this was not clear for you, and that you thought it was only the Msuper and so you did not check your Connections on your ACM and learned it the hard way :-(

True to some degree. So far I have only noticed this issue stems from the 84volt units -

*ACM 1300wh/1600wh

*Msuper v3s 1300wh/v3s+ 1600wh,

Monster 1600wh/2400wh owners should take this into consideration as well, and (if under warranty) contact their supplier or make the necessary modifications as Marty did in his tutorial  

All these problems with Gotway.. I have one on order, (ACM 1300) I'm thinking of canceling it?

1 minute ago, Mrd777 said:

All these problems with Gotway.. I have one on order, (ACM 1300) I'm thinking of canceling it?

Tbh I wouldn't blame ya if you did, but you could get them i.e your supplier on the phone ASAP and ask to make the adjustments NOW prior to your units dispatch/post/shipping. Problem solved, no headache like the rest of us! 

9 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I'm thinking of swapping my ACM 1300Wh for the GT16 1036Wh, maybe I'll wait for it to come out, but I'm not risking my life on an EUC that is dangerous even though I do love my ACM. I do not have the right toolsto make a proper solder (imo), I did put epoxy on the connectors, but I'm asking myself "is it going to fail ?" each time I go faster than 25kph, and it's quite frustrating, Gotway service isn't great, and they should get into it, it's unfortunate because the EUC they make are great.

In the end, it's up to you to decide, if you get it I would tell you change the connectors asap don't wait for an accident to occur !

I just cancelled, I'm not taking a chance with this nonsense, Gotway has "got" to get their act together.