Puchasing decision: IPS Lhotz versus Inmotion V5F+?

LanghamP

Er, not really a review at all but a question.

How does the V5 compare to the Lhotz? I may purchase a second wheel (Lhotz) for my girlfriend and I already have the V5F+. I also wonder if I would be better off getting Inmotion's V8.

I will admit that the Lhotz looks fantastic, and is to me the most attractive wheel ever built so I wonder if that isn't unduly influencing my decision. I should buy with practicality first.

The Lhotz was my last wheel, the v5f+ my current.

The Lhotz looks better in photo/video than in real life. It's thicker/wider than you think, and.....'industrial' to put it flatteringly. Plus it's cheaply made and lacks the refinements of newer generation wheels.

Having said that, it served me very well and I loved that thick tire. It's a workhorse and if you can find it for a decent price now....why not?

But....if your question is genuinely asking for a comparison between the Lhotz and the v5.........there is NO comparison. They are multiple generations apart. The v5f+ is sublime.

ps. if you can afford it, I guess take the v8 over both. I've never seen one in person but people have been raving about it, so I assume it's as refined as my v5 but with that added power. ?

I enjoy my Lhotz, but It is a year or so old now. My Msuper2 is better and I'm sure the wheels coming out now are beyond them both! I think the only reason to get an Lhotz is if someone gives it to you as a bargain. Unless money totally is preventing you from her getting an up to date wheel, get her something new if you plan on extended riding together.

That's exactly the information I need; I think I'll pass on the Lhotz and get either a V8 or perhaps the base V5. My v5f+ is the only unicycle I have ridden (and seen in person) so that's my only comparison.

17 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

She got a Gotway Msuper V3+ (I didn't buy it).

What could possibly go wrong?

who she? 

did i miss something? :-)

All people i know, that have a newer generation wheel like v5/8 or Msuper or Ks...and had have the Lhotz also....all would go for the new gen types!

If someone recommends a Lhotz...(today) he probably did not try or ever used a new gen wheel!

I also tried the Lhotz...and compared to the new gen it was blown away...

yes, the Lhotz was and is reliable....but not actual anymore...and pricewise you can get better wheels today.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

She got a Gotway Msuper V3+ (I didn't buy it).

What could possibly go wrong?

Uhh, she could leave you in the dust with her better, faster, wheel?  You should trade wheels with her.:innocent1:

On 3/12/2017 at 9:30 PM, Paddylaz said:

it's cheaply made

Hmm, I have 2 Lhotzs, and I disagree. In my opinion they are rugged and durable, very solidly built. The only "cheap" aspect I noticed was the lettering which began falling off almost immediately.

On 3/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, Villac said:

I think the only reason to get an Lhotz is if someone gives it to you as a bargain.

If you shop around you can find Lhotz for $800 shipped. Sure, who doesn't want MSuper, but bear in mind MSuper is much more expensive.

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think the Lhotz looks pretty nice and heavy duty - sort of like the SUV of EUCs.

Obviously the Gotway wheels surpass the Lhotz for "SUV" riding, but Lhotz still has much to offer considering its more affordable price.

God help me but I'm still tempted to buy it simply because I love that heavy chunky round look. It looks like it came from the Soviet Union.

Well, if IPS comes out with an improved version (I am not particularly concerned with the price) that includes a trolley handle then I'm pretty sure I'll get another wheel.

I did ride the Gotway Msuper around inside the house. It left me completely indifferent especially compared to my VF5, but maybe I should ride it more?

25 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I did ride the Gotway Msuper around inside the house. It left me completely indifferent especially compared to my VF5, but maybe I should ride it more?

You won't feel the merits of an MSuper3 (or any Gotway wheel for that matter) without aggressively hard accelerating up to high speeds outdoors, not indoors.

Totally different riding style from a V5F+.

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 6:55 PM, LanghamP said:

God help me but I'm still tempted to buy it simply because I love that heavy chunky round look. It looks like it came from the Soviet Union.

Well, if IPS comes out with an improved version (I am not particularly concerned with the price) that includes a trolley handle then I'm pretty sure I'll get another wheel.

Dude trust me on this. Inmotion is the way forward. It's the little refinements that really make it. Handle of course being a big one. Buy from Jason and i think he might still be throwing in the handle for no added cost.

Aside from the v8 which im yet to see....its the best balance of everything of any wheel right now. I consider it the 'new ninebot e+' in the sense that it's the new 'gold standard' that other wheels should be measured against.

On 16.3.2017 at 8:11 PM, KingSong69 said:

On 24.3.2017 at 7:55 PM, LanghamP said:

All people i know, that have a newer generation wheel like v5/8 or Msuper or Ks...and had have the Lhotz also....all would go for the new gen types!

If someone recommends a Lhotz...(today) he probably did not try or ever used a new gen wheel!

well...me and some other people said it before...the Lhotz is/was a good one..yes...but the important on this is - at it's time!!

If there ever is a choice between the Lhotz...and a newer type wheel like v5, v8, ks16 or acm.....everyone who tried both and know the difference.. would go for one of the other mentioned wheels! @Paddylaz is just right!

• 1 month later...
On 25.03.2017 at 8:25 PM, Paddylaz said:

It's the little refinements that really make it. Handle of course being a big one.

Could you elaborate on this? Except for the handle (that I wouldn't probably use anyway). I'm interested mainly in the ride, not the look, lights (that are obviously useful, but can be easily added), etc. I mean, why the Lhotz is outdated.

23 minutes ago, matt said:

Could you elaborate on this? Except for the handle (that I wouldn't probably use anyway). I'm interested mainly in the ride, not the look, lights (that are obviously useful, but can be easily added), etc. I mean, why the Lhotz is outdated.

Well other than the handle, which you WILL use, there are a few other little refinements that make life easier:

1) The Trigger Switch. It's a trigger under the top of the wheel's built in handle that cuts off the motor. This is the big one. It's my single favourite thing - it means you can instantly pick up the wheel anytime you want without having to turn off the wheel, and without the wheel spinning like crazy. You'd be surprised how often you use this - navigating up train steps, lifting the wheel over things you can't ride or jump past etc etc

2) Built in light 

3) Simple usb-style charger cable/socket. No more lining up pins etc, just a plug in style, double-way system.

4) Specially high-mounted pedals for sharp turning without scraping the floor

5) Advanced app for altering pedal angle, handle trigger, sounds, plus a full diagnostic service that checks the wheel for any problems/issues.

These are all features that the new generation of wheels are starting to include, not just Inmotion.

So it is in that sense that the Lhotz is a little outdated. It's a good wheel though, especially for a beginner. The Lhotz has a chunky 2.5inch tire which is more forgiving than the 'knife-edge' of other eucs.

3 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

2) Built in light 

addendum: brightest headlight of any current EUC out.

Also:

• best trolley handle of any EUC out
  • grooves on either side to rest the V5 upright
  • InMotion designed mudguard
  • touch-based, non-mechanical power button, which won't malfunction due to rain
  • upward-facing battery meter, easily readable while riding
  • easy-access shell fold-out for inflating/deflating tire
  • ability to separate motor/tire assembly from shell for easier tire/inner tube changes
  • kill pin button to temporarily cut power to the V5, great for transport situations where you don't want the wheel to accidentally turn on.
  • InMotion app has widgets (speed, battery, etc.) that can quickly be viewed on both iOS & Android without launching the full app

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

addendum: brightest headlight of any current EUC out.

Also:

• best trolley handle of any EUC out
  • grooves on either side to rest the V5 upright
  • InMotion designed mudguard
  • touch-based, non-mechanical power button, which won't malfunction due to rain
  • upward-facing battery meter, easily readable while riding
  • easy-access shell fold-out for inflating/deflating tire
  • ability to separate motor/tire assembly from shell for easier tire/inner tube changes
  • kill pin button to temporarily cut power to the V5, great for transport situations where you don't want the wheel to accidentally turn on.
  • InMotion app has widgets (speed, battery, etc.) that can quickly be viewed on both iOS & Android without launching the full app

Yep, these.

I forgot about the battery meter. So much better than the inaccurate tiny flashing light on the Lhotz, which was pretty hard to see in bright conditions anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-17 at 3:06 PM, Paddylaz said:

3) Simple usb-style charger cable/socket. No more lining up pins etc, just a plug in style, double-way system.

not true for the V8 though, where we are back to lining up pins. 

I would agree with everyone above that the Lhotz is back a generation now, but as I said when I hired one last Autumn in my post below, I was really impressed with the off-road abilities it's 16" wide tyre gives it. My only criticisms were it's quite hard side pads and small battery, but even then it ran perfectly right up to the point it went into low battery tilt back. If you can get one for a good price and aim to use it off road it is still a wheel worth considering. If priced similarly I'd personally go for the Inmotion V8 or KS-16S.

Definitely the LHOTZ is some generations back and a bit primitive compared to the new wheels, but considering it's age (which I think it's like 4 years old now with minor version changes as far as I know) the wheel really does its job. I set the lights on atmosphere mode, which shows the battery level when you stop on the side lights. That wheel was meant for off roading and not long distances, though I calculated I make like 18-20km on a charge after a year and over of use with 90kg weight on a 260wh (smallest battery available) while also considering my routes always have some steep uphills.

this is some video short clips of yesterday's ride. sorry about being a bit bouncy. Definitely riding feels better than watching these clips.

https://youtu.be/yr0_djzl2Pc

Archived