Pingouin

Agression attempt while riding ?

Frode    198

Have you considered wearing a helmet/chest mounted camera for using as documentation when you are reporting those f... stupid retarded slime eels to the police?

• Upvote 1

EUCMania    232

Self defense plan:

1. wear good protection gear, for your safety when face planting and self-defense.

2. Install a pepper spray facing the back of EUC, with trigger on the glove, so you can spray when bad dog or human chasing you. You should only do this if you can ride fast to run away.

• Upvote 2

Jack Frost    18

I ride in Toronto, Canada and even though Canada is greatly known for being extremely nice these things will not be avoidable in the city. I find this more prominent in western society(North america) compared to Eastern(Asia). My assumption is the freedom and willingness to voice their own opinions and culturally known to be more confrontational.

I've personally experienced where people have personally yelled profanity at me and some racial comments. I've had a person who purposely got in the way to push me off making me hit the wall.  

PS: I've rode in both NYC, Toronto, as well as China and Taiwan and these are my own observations

meepmeepmayer    2,430
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

The hostility you get may more be the result of being in transitional (or publicly shared) spaces, and can be surprising if you're a car driver. This type of behavior is simply common as a pedestrian regardless of where you are or who you are.

To me what op actually describes is racism, plain and simple. Too extreme and specific for "surprised drivers".

Would the same people do the same things to a bigger/taller/heavier guy? Maybe, maybe not.

Would the same people do the same things to a "native" (even same body size as op)? I can't see that happening.

Mind you, we're not talking about stupid comments, but pretty heavy physical violence (attempts).

• Upvote 1

Rehab1    5,987
26 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

I would rather go as a EUC group to that french town and shoot down every bad dude, US style. I'm really pissed that one of our riders is being targeted be it in French land, here or anywhere. I'm already pissed with other kind of idiots that are ruining the pleasure of flying drones. The other day when I was flying my drone this crepe put his head out from his car window and said " I have a 9 year old boy so I'm taking a picture of you and your license plate". And he drove off. WTF?

Probably tough to sneak a gun in France but I do love civil confrontations! I suppose my lack of fluency in the French language might diminish any impactful dialogue but hand jesters are universal!:clap3: 

Sorry about your drone issues! Damn this pisses me off as well! I need a stiff drink tonight!

• Upvote 3

LanghamP    871
32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To me what op actually describes is racism, plain and simple. Too extreme and specific for "surprised drivers".

Would the same people do the same things to a bigger/taller/heavier guy? Maybe, maybe not.

Would the same people do the same things to a "native" (even same body size as op)? I can't see that happening.

Mind you, we're not talking about stupid comments, but pretty heavy physical violence (attempts).

I mean to say, and I thought I had very clearly stated so, that such occurances are common in the pedestrian world.

Please reread my paragraph, and see how it exactly agrees with your statement.

steve454    2,235
16 hours ago, Radislav said:

(I sent him the "dickhead" and continued riding).

That's new to me, is that the middle finger?  If so, here we call it the F U

• Upvote 1

steve454    2,235
On 3/13/2017 at 2:37 PM, Planetpapi said:

I would rather go as a EUC group to that french town and shoot down every bad dude, US style.

You mean, US movie style, right?  Hopefully that kind of thing is only in the movies.  But I've seen some movies from other countries that express the same sentiment, mainly every kung fu movie ever made:D

• Upvote 2

Planetpapi    365
15 hours ago, steve454 said:

You mean, US movie style, right?  Hopefully that kind of thing is only in the movies.  But I've seen some movies from other countries that express the same sentiment, mainly every kung fu movie ever made:D

Of course, Hollywood super hero style! Too much influence on me...but not into guns at all.

• Upvote 3

Villac    267

I appreciate the solidarity this topic has surfaced. It's not the first as the forum has numerous examples of cooperation with regard to electronics, mechanics, purchases, legislation and injuries. I'm thankful to be part of this community and even when I'm frustrated I can't provide direct assistance I can at least contribute to brainstorming and encouragement.

• Upvote 2

OliverH    817
On ‎13‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 0:16 AM, Pingouin said:

Hi, I live in a french city unfortunately, I don't know if it's only a feeling, but I find french people to be very rude in general (I lived in the US for a while and never had an issue), the best way to avoid trouble is to be stealthy but the EUC ain't the best way to do that.

I don't know maybe it only happens to me that's why I'm asking other riders, but I don't think it's very common.. (maybe it's because I'm a foreigner + young + small)

I was last year in September in Paris for the PLEV Workshop and had my MSuper with me. I had fun sightseeing Paris in the evening/ travelling to the after meeting talk in the pub. Used bicycle/ Bus/ Taxi lane (doing this is some kind of killing yourself - the french style to drive it's like in war on street ;) )and in some very rare occasions I used the pavement with pedestrian speed, tried to have a good distance to the pedestrians. We need to participate as gently as possible to the others on the pavement/ street.

But reading the sentences in this thread shows the missing respect to other people and "happiness" to see people failing. That's result of missing decent education, socially responsible values such as respect, mutual consent and tolerance.

• Upvote 3

MetricUSA    214

More then aggressive... I have to ride in road on alot of occasions and at night, you get horns blown at you right as they pass even on sidewalk, or you can tell the ones that want to hit you, they cross the solid painting lines on road, too close... By law they need to stay a meter away of all bikes so now I carry those glassfiber stick with reflective tape for 'road' edges' and stick it straight out to the side, or if I am crossing intersection, wave it out straight front of me....

Just make sure the damn pole is never pointing to your body, if one of the Assholes actually strike the stick, it could impel you...

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Upvote 2

Dingfelder    886
On 3/13/2017 at 11:13 AM, Rehab1 said:

Music to my ears This method works quite well in my country. I know, I know .... I have heard it countless times..guns are bad. 

This is something between hilarious and completely awesome!

I live in a pretty nice little town in many ways, but they make and do a LOT of meth around here, and we are being invaded by lots and lots of homeless.  I myself have wondered about what I would do if charged or confronted by a bunch of meth-heads around here.  I've never seen an EUC around here, and I would stand out like a sore thumb with one.  Plus they tend to look both pricey and fun ... very tempting I bet ..

• Upvote 1

kasenutty    653

Don't worry. Once you're half way proficient, the crackheads and homeless wont be able to catch you. You can talk shit when you roll by even. "Hey buddy. Yeah you, fuck you man!" while swerving just out of arm's reach. 

In my experience the homeless mostly react positively to my EUC, especially the mentally ill. They do a little jig and tip their hat at me and say wow and sometimes they jangle their shopping carts and say "Wanna trade? Ha ha hah" or something like that.

• Upvote 3

xiiijojjo    39

Clark's 3rd law

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

with that being said we humans are primitive creatures afraid of what we can't understand so that might be what inspired this aggression. It's no excuse just me trying to rationalize.

I've only gotten positive remarks so far with only one exception of a guy jumping out in front of me to test my response time (i heard the idiot tell his friends as i was getting away)  

• Upvote 3

Dingfelder    886
6 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

Clark's 3rd law

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

with that being said we humans are primitive creatures afraid of what we can't understand so that might be what inspired this aggression. It's no excuse just me trying to rationalize.

I've only gotten positive remarks so far with only one exception of a guy jumping out in front of me to test my response time (i heard the idiot tell his friends as i was getting away)  

In any crowd there's always "that one guy."  Always.

• Upvote 1

RooMiniPro    329
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

Music to my ears This method works quite well in my country. I know, I know .... I have heard it countless times..guns are bad. 

Does no one else see how terrible an idea this is?  Surely this was posted as a joke.  If not, it's the most depressing thing I have seen on the forum.  Riding an EUC (a device designed to bring freedom and fun and joy to people) with a device attached to it that's designed to bring pain, suffering and death to people is a very sad state of affairs. 

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Upvote 2