Gotway Luffy: My initial thoughts

7 hours ago, roofus4 said:

Well, I hope the videos just give folks an idea of how it sounds and rides. There is a point in one of the videos where I'm doing a turn, and you can hear a slight scrape of the pedal. Very low pedals. But, yes, the wheel is fun to ride and In my opinion, is more than just a novelty.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love has me looking through my archives. The chronological order may be out of sync but here are some photos of my NB1 pedal modifications to increase the upward angulation for additional clearance. It worked well! 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, roofus4 said:

One big area I've had issues using Luffy, and the biggest reason for it's occasional scratches, is trying to transition up the lip to my driveway. Easy on my V5F+ casue I have torque to get going after the sudden drop in speed, but not so with Luffy. I guess I need to learn how to jump with it.

Yes, jumping on the Luffy should be the easiest of all EUCs, especially with the higher profile!

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love has me looking through my archives. The chronological order may be out of sync but here are some photos of my NB1 pedal modifications to increase the upward angulation for additional clearance. It worked well!

Impressive mod. I'll have to keep that in mind. For the most part I've gotten used to it but seems like a super easy mod. Does the higher angle make your feet hurt?

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, jumping on the Luffy should be the easiest of all EUCs, especially with the higher profile!

Very true. I definitely want to get were I can jump, but not quite there yet. I've only been riding since Jan, and haven't gotten to where I feel comfortable enough to do tricks yet. I'm also a little afraid to scratch it while experimenting. It already has a number of scratches. I need to put some protection on it before I get too aggressive. Any pointers for learning to jump?

1 minute ago, roofus4 said:

Any pointers for learning to jump?

Can't profess to be the best EUC jumper, but (some being obvious tips):

• slow down before to prep the jump, bending your knees in preparation
  • pull from the ankles/lower shin area where there is leverage from the pads (this is why the Ninebot One series are the best jumpers: the pads stick out near your ankles/shins)
  • when you pull, the wheel and yourself jump separately, with your feet slightly in contact with the pedals. try to only pull as hard and as high as you need to clear the jump; no unnecessary or exaggerated movements.
  • most important: when you land on the pedals, land equally balanced on the foot, not favoring heel or toe, or else there is a greater likelihood to fall

• progressively start jumping from flat ground, incrementally increasing clearance height
  • wear protective gear, esp. based on the areas of the body you typically tend to fall on.

With proper leverage on the wheel, jumping is not the hard part, landing is. As EUCs are always a balancing act, landing properly balanced is key. (also, I'd recommend not jumping on a very low battery, especially for a weaker motor like on the Luffy, as the wheel will have less power to balance you on the landing).

13 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Can't profess to be the best EUC jumper, but (some being obvious tips):

• slow down before to prep the jump, bending your knees in preparation
  • pull from the ankles/lower shin area where there is leverage from the pads (this is why the Ninebot One series are the best jumpers: the pads stick out near your ankles/shins)
  • when you pull, the wheel and yourself jump separately, with your feet slightly in contact with the pedals. try to only pull as hard and as high as you need to clear the jump; no unnecessary or exaggerated movements.
  • most important: when you land on the pedals, land equally balanced on the foot, not favoring heel or toe, or else there is a greater likelihood to fall

• progressively start jumping from flat ground, incrementally increasing clearance height
  • wear protective gear, esp. based on the areas of the body you typically tend to fall on.

With proper leverage on the wheel, jumping is not the hard part, landing is. As EUCs are always a balancing act, landing properly balanced is key. (also, I'd recommend not jumping on a very low battery, especially for a weaker motor like on the Luffy, as the wheel will have less power to balance you on the landing).

Right on! That's awesome! I'm going to give that a try. I like the incremental idea. Unfortunately, I'm headed out of town again, so I'll have to try when I get back.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:54 PM, houseofjob said:

A quick thought: one of the original Gotway MTen 10" EUCs sported a tubeless tire. I wonder if the Luffy is the right size to go tubeless as well?

What would be the benefit of that?

12 hours ago, roofus4 said:

What would be the benefit of that?

No need to deal with a punctured tube, as the Luffy requires you to fully split the shell for access to the tire when you get a flat.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the idea of the Luffy, but not the price.  On Ali Express it's around $630 USD.  That's only about $50 less than a V5F on ewheels.com and the Luffy isn't even half the wheel the V5F is.  Should a little, low power, short range wheel like the Luffy not be more like $350-450 USD?

3 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I really like the idea of the Luffy, but not the price.  On Ali Express it's around $630 USD.  That's only about $50 less than a V5F on ewheels.com and the Luffy isn't even half the wheel the V5F is.  Should a little, low power, short range wheel like the Luffy not be more like $350-450 USD?

You're paying a premium for quality components and a state-of-the-art Quality Assurance department ;)

On 3/10/2017 at 2:50 PM, roofus4 said:

Man, great questions. Lots that I never thought to mention.

-The tire has the PSI actually on the rubber like any tire. What you saw was my own handwriting. I like to do that to all my vehicles for easy reference.

-Check out the pics for the charge port and charger question.

-As far as hardness mode, the Inmotion is top notch. Very crisp. Even the hardest mode on the luffy is not quite that crisp, but I was much happier once I found how to firm it up. I've never had a wheel with hardness settings. It may also be that the motor is weaker and thus makes it feel not as crisp, not necessarily the firmware. I'm still kinda new to these things, so not sure how to quantify these idiosyncrasies.

-As far as the app, I don't know which app to try. I'm just glad I found one that works. Is there a link to the newest one? I'd love to try it!

-Not sure about the box. It has half of the word Luffy on one side of the box. The other parts are so covered in packing tape that you can't see what the box originally looked like. However, It does have a carrying handle on the box so that's cool, LOL.

-No, I have not hit the 3rd alarm. I have still not gone beyond the first level of beeping. The beeping is in my opinion pretty loud. It beeps when you turn it on and off, when you change a setting in the app, and during the lift test were it speeds up until it stops, and that is where you will get rapid beeping until it shuts down. After It shuts down, it will do a slower continuous beeping until you turn it off.

-The order was placed on Feb 26th, but my bank blocked the transaction cause they thought it was suspicious. So it took me a little bit to get it resolved. During that time, Aliexpress had a countdown timer with 19 plus days on it for me to make the payment before the order was canceled. Once I got the payment to go through, there was a clock with 7 or 8 days for the seller to ship it before it was cancelled. It took almost 3 days for him to ship it. The shipping history shows that it shipped on the 3rd. Then I got it on the 8th. So 8 days was just a top of my head approximation.

-The leg pads feel nice when you touch them with your hand, but getting on seems like there is still some plastic to shin contact. The lower ankle pad is a little thinner and thus firmer, but still a nice touch in my opinion. In the picture where I'm touching it, I do have some force there, as seen in the color of my finger.

-Unfortunately there is no light on this Wheel. I think it's the power button that from some pics looks like a light. It is certainly in a place that you'd expect a light. The power button and charge port are on one side, and on the other side is the charge indicator. The power button is a "press and hold" for both on and off.

One thing I like is how you can just set it down and rest it on it's pedal. Makes it easy to put it down for a moment. 

So, for me, I think of the Luffy as a compromise wheel in order to gain portability. Definitely not as nice as my V5F+, but given the size, It's pretty impressive. It would be awesome to have a light, or a larger battery, but so far, I don't regret buying it. The problem for me, is I have few reasons to have any of these things. Here in Texas, things are just too spread out to not use a car. So, I just bum around the neighborhood for the most part. I never ride so long that the batteries run out.

The true reason I got into wheels, is that I wanted portable transportation to take with me in my plane (I hope that doesn't sound uppity.) That way I have a way around when I get to where I'm going. And there, my friends, is the true attraction to the Luffy. The thing is smaller than ALL the other things I have ever looked at, from scooters, to hover boards, to skate boards, segway minis, etc! I think this Luffy will finally fit the bill perfectly!

Let me know what other questions you have.

IMG_20170310_134750.jpg

IMG_20170310_125456.jpg

IMG_20170310_134657.jpg

IMG_20170310_125430.jpg

IMG_20170310_141938.jpg

IMG_20170310_125642.jpg

IMG_20170310_134621.jpg

IMG_20170310_125627.jpg

It wil never be allowed in a plane. Too many Watts. 100 is the highest. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

You're paying a premium for quality components and a state-of-the-art Quality Assurance department ;)

Interesting.  Do you know what makes Gotway's components better quality than InMotion's? 

2 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Interesting.  Do you know what makes Gotway's components better quality than InMotion's? 

It was a joke - Gotway is somewhat notorious for non-existent QA and questionable design choices. To be fair I can't say anything really negative about the actual components that they use.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

It was a joke - Gotway is somewhat notorious for non-existent QA and questionable design choices. To be fair I can't say anything really negative about the actual components that they use.

Oh I see. I suppose I don't know enough about Gotway to catch on that you were being sarcastic ?

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, jaytee said:

Does anyone know if the Luffy works with the Gotway IOS App? I'm trying to register it, but it's asking for a "Motorcode". Have no idea where to find that.

Do a search (upper right section of webpage) for "motorcode" and you'll be able to find your answer.

2 hours ago, jaytee said:

Does anyone know if the Luffy works with the Gotway IOS App? I'm trying to register it, but it's asking for a "Motorcode". Have no idea where to find that.

I know the Gotway Android app works with the Luffy, so most likely the iOS will also work.  The Motorcode can be found on your wheel.  Spin the tire and look for the motorcode etched on the side of the motor.  I believe it's on the same side as the valve stem.  If it's not there, then flip the wheel over and you'll find it on the other side :P

2 hours ago, Clovis said:

The Motorcode can be found on your wheel.  Spin the tire and look for the motorcode etched on the side of the motor.  I believe it's on the same side as the valve stem.  If it's not there, then flip the wheel over and you'll find it on the other side :P

FYI, there is no motorcode on the Luffy wheel itself; at least there was none on my 200wH, both sides. (Might be a motorcode on the sticker of the box, but the most recent Gotway Android app allowed me to connect without entering a motorcode)

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

FYI, there is no motorcode on the Luffy wheel itself; at least there was none on my 200wH, both sides. (The most recent Gotway Android app allowed me to connect without entering a motorcode)

I own the 200Wh version, and it was there.  I'll post a pic when I have time.

Thanks guys. Got it working on IOS.

I noticed there are a few settings now available. Any suggestions for a beginner?

Should I change the tilt? Or calibrate it?

Also has three ride modes. Comfort and two others (I can't recall right now)

1 hour ago, Clovis said:

I own the 200Wh version, and it was there.  I'll post a pic when I have time.

Here's a pic of the motorcode on my 200Wh Luffy.  As I originally suspected, it was on the same side as the valve stem.  As far as ride settings, it appears that the Android version has the same bug as the iOS and doesn't save ride settings.  However, pedal calibration does work and save in Android.

ink (1).jpg

ink.jpg

@Clovis Yes, you are right, just checked my Luffy, and my code's on the motor shell (sorry! it's been awhile).

Curious that I didn't have to enter it to register on the Android app, but maybe this is because I already set it up with my Monster?

Archived