Gotway Luffy: My initial thoughts

Further to what HOJ mentioned, disassembling the pedals, wheel, and shell parts might also help to get it through checked in security along with keeping a few parts in different suitcases (eg. Motor plus half shell in one suitcase, pedals and other shell with circuit boards in another).  I'm thinking if the xray scanner dude/dudette only sees basic parts for something, they'd likely let it through.  If it resembles a working unicycle even without a battery they might flag it.  The security people aren't exactly EUC experts so that electric hub motor part might look pretty innocent.  Maybe place it in a box that says "spare electronics parts."

Packing a screwdriver + Allen key and a ziplock bag of the screws can make reassembly at your destination a breeze!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info guys. It's not so important that I would go the route of disassembling the wheel to take it with me. I'm in a long distance relationship, and was just thinking it would be cool to take Luffy with me when I go visit using the airlines. Oh well... Sound like you guys have already seen this, but here's what I found:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

 Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery. With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment.

I think @codersarepeople lucked out as they let him fly within the US with his Ninebot, but he shipped his batteries to his destination.  Others like @KingSong69 and @jrkline haven't been so fortunate with international flights.  Even with the Ninebot S2 batteries which are 160 wh each, I hear airlines can still give trouble, but it's understandable considering that a battery melt down in the cabin would fill it with noxious gases quite quickly.  Even one cell exploding results in some frightening results.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think @codersarepeople lucked out as they let him fly within the US with his Ninebot, but he shipped his batteries to his destination.  Others like @KingSong69 and @jrkline haven't been so fortunate with international flights.  Even with the Ninebot S2 batteries which are 160 wh each, I hear airlines can still give trouble, but it's understandable considering that a battery melt down in the cabin would fill it with noxious gases quite quickly.  Even one cell exploding results in some frightening results.

Well, that's just it. It is very unlikely something would happen. However, if it does, and the plane has to do an emergency descent to an alternate airport, the subsequent investigation would lead to having to answer some very uncomfortable questions. 

Beside any Watthour limit, is it 100 or 160wh....about 90% of all airlines now have their own rule of:

No segway, euc, hoverboard on a passenger plane! Even no matter if there is NO batterie in it!, because you took ot out!

Expereinced  that myself on an Emirates flight....

1 minute ago, codersarepeople said:

Delta had that rule when I flew but they did not specify euc. As I boarded they asked me "is that a Hoverboard?" And I said "no" and keeps walking :)

Yup, the US can be more lax.

If you're willing to share, can I ask when this flight was and if you took your wheel whole (battery inside body)?

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

If you're willing to share, can I ask when this flight was and if you took your wheel whole (battery inside body)?

Edit:

Just saw that not nme was quoted...haha, so sorry for wrong answer :-)

it was end of May 2016-Bangkok-Germany with emirates...they have (like today nearly all airlines) a strict "NO self balancing vehicles incl. Euc" on board.

the wheel was in one piece (but NO battery) and i had numerous documents for example from KS Thailand, that there is no batterie left in Euc...and with photo documentation that it has been taken out!

emirates Check in Supervisor states that the "no euc" rule is general....no matter if with or without batterie...as (understandable) they can not prove or check the electrical status of each vehicle...

so the rule is "general forbidden".....

i did not want to try to have it in luggage without speaking about....as all baggage gets x-rayed( even the Not hand luggage)...and i feared the detection of the electrical wheel...and get in trouble with airport authority :-)

so my new Ks16 stayed in BKK, KS Thailand picked it up and sold it as 2nd hand wheel for me! Great guys!!

so this year it will only be a rent :-)

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip...I got that...but unfortunately only after I already wrote that all :-)

Ha, no worries! 

I guess if I ever make that Bangkok - Germany connection, I'll be well informed! (doubtful though~)

I have to say, I'm really starting to enjoy the Luffy. I have it set up with no tilt back but with the second alarm set. I can comfortably cruise at about 14mph without too much beeping. I have also experimented with the tire pressure. In the beginning, I had mentioned that I felt 28 psi was too soft, and ended up inflating it to 50 psi. However, today I thought I would bring it back down to 28 to revisit the feel. It's too soft, but takes bumps really well. I ended up somewhere in between. I put it to 35 psi, and that seems to be a good compromise between two soft at 28, and too hard at 50.

I bought my V5F+ because I was looking for transportation to take with me in my plane. It's a great 14" wheel with good speed and range, but not too heavy. I've taken it with me in the plane, and it fits fine, but it's still pretty beefy. I have to disconnect my canopy and move it out of the way, then use two hands to lift the V5F up and into the baggage compartment (which is pretty small). It's very much a process. Enter "Luffy!" Today, a friend and I flew to an airport with a flight museum within walking distance. I decided to bring Luffy, and I just reached back and placed him into the baggage compartment without messing with the canopy, and off we went. The museum just let me leave it up front with them till we were done. It is so light, it's as fast as my V5F+, and it has a 10 mile range. So like I said at the start, I'm really starting to appreciate how awesome this little machine is.

Little side note, the difference in feel/responsiveness from the 10" wheel to the 14" is pretty significant. My V5F+ feels like a truck after I've been riding Luffy. However, there is something to be said for the power/acceleration of the larger wheels. That's were Luffy falls a little short. It's is still a compromise wheel.

Do you have any safety protocols just in case something goes wrong with the batteries you take on board?  I'm just thinking what happens say if in the unlikely even that something shorts out due to vibration on takeoff, and the battery starts it's cascade of death and starts releasing fumes and fire.  Are you able to vent air safely out of the cabin?  Would the plane still be okay to land if that battery pack bursts into flames?

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Do you have any safety protocols just in case something goes wrong with the batteries you take on board?  I'm just thinking what happens say if in the unlikely even that something shorts out due to vibration on takeoff, and the battery starts it's cascade of death and starts releasing fumes and fire.  Are you able to vent air safely out of the cabin?  Would the plane still be okay to land if that battery pack bursts into flames?

Well, those are very good questions, and I don't really have great answers. I think the immediate answer is no, I don't really have good safety protocols to deal with a battery fire. I have a Halon fire extinguisher which probably won't work on a battery. Can't really open the canopy in flight. I appreciate the food for thought. I may have to reevaluate.

26 minutes ago, roofus4 said:

Well, those are very good questions, and I don't really have great answers. I think the immediate answer is no, I don't really have good safety protocols to deal with a battery fire. I have a Halon fire extinguisher which probably won't work on a battery. Can't really open the canopy in flight. I appreciate the food for thought. I may have to reevaluate.

Somebody else posted this video a long time ago:

The basic idea seems to be that you should attempt to cool down the battery, rather than just "suffocate" the fire. Apparently the chemical reaction tends to produce enough heat to keep the fire going, so cooling it below the point where the chain reaction stops is the key. And as the video shows, ice is a bad idea (it insulates more than cools).

Sorry, didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer. :huh:  I guess my brain just thinks up worst case scenarios so hopefully one can be prepared to avoid the worst.  I suppose it's like practicing for a mid-flight engine stall.  We all hope they never happen, but it's better to be prepared for what to do in the event it happens.  What sort of plane do you have?

Maybe @Rehab1 might have some suggestions as he has some aviation experience under his belt.

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer. :huh:  I guess my brain just thinks up worst case scenarios so hopefully one can be prepared to avoid the worst.  I suppose it's like practicing for a mid-flight engine stall.  We all hope they never happen, but it's better to be prepared for what to do in the event it happens.  What sort of plane do you have?

Maybe @Rehab1 might have some suggestions as he has some aviation experience under his belt.

No, no, that's good. I love that my friends keep me honest. Physics/chemistry doesn't discriminate. It's definitely something that I haven't thought much about. My focus till now, has been trying to get something that fits, but it still has to be safe. So thanks for the concern. 

Thanks for asking about the plane. Hope I don't come across as a douche. It's an RV-7. A two seat homebuilt that I did not build. 

https://goo.gl/photos/N8SxWhRBy1ZMJ4mp8

On 3/16/2017 at 1:12 PM, houseofjob said:

This was probably back around October 2016, but I shipped the battery ahead of time. I was ready to remove the covering if asked to but TSA didn't seem to care; I would guess in that instance I could have gotten thru with the battery but I don't want to tempt fate.

15 minutes ago, codersarepeople said:

This was probably back around October 2016, but I shipped the battery ahead of time. I was ready to remove the covering if asked to but TSA didn't seem to care; I would guess in that instance I could have gotten thru with the battery but I don't want to tempt fate.

Ah, I see, thanks. Sans battery, security has little reason for alarm.

32 minutes ago, roofus4 said:

No, no, that's good. I love that my friends keep me honest. Physics/chemistry doesn't discriminate. It's definitely something that I haven't thought much about. My focus till now, has been trying to get something that fits, but it still has to be safe. So thanks for the concern. 

Thanks for asking about the plane. Hope I don't come across as a douche. It's an RV-7. A two seat homebuilt that I did not build. 

https://goo.gl/photos/N8SxWhRBy1ZMJ4mp8

Wow that is a beautiful plane!  :dribble: I do recall seeing some RC planes of a similar model if not the exact one.  Also I'm a fan of those shows like "Airplane Repo" and "Dangerous Flights."  :popcorn:

Does it have any more storage compartments in the tail section?  I wonder if placing the wheel back there with a smoke detector wired to a trouble light in the cockpit might be better.  Inside the cockpit, I guess if worse comes to worse one could try to put the plane into a dive and open the canopy?  I would be concerned about the canopy ripping off and taking the rear fin/rudder off with it plus where it would land could endanger some lives.  Too bad there isn't a sealed, metal containment compartment with emergency venting to atmosphere.  

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow that is a beautiful plane!  :dribble: I do recall seeing some RC planes of a similar model if not the exact one.  Also I'm a fan of those shows like "Airplane Repo" and "Dangerous Flights."  :popcorn:

Does it have any more storage compartments in the tail section?  I wonder if placing the wheel back there with a smoke detector wired to a trouble light in the cockpit might be better.  Inside the cockpit, I guess if worse comes to worse one could try to put the plane into a dive and open the canopy?  I would be concerned about the canopy ripping off and taking the rear fin/rudder off with it plus where it would land could endanger some lives.  Too bad there isn't a sealed, metal containment compartment with emergency venting to atmosphere.  

Thank you for the compliment, that's very kind.

The tail is off limits. It is all sealed up, except for some inspection panels. Plus it would throw off the center of gravity, and also be hard to fight the fire.

Because of your question, I have decided that it would probably be safest, honestly, to have it in the empty seat next to me, assuming I'm alone. My thought is that I will notice any issues sooner, and it also won't be next to the auxiliary fuel tanks behind the seats, nor will it catch the other bags on fire. It will also facilitate fighting the fire, as the cockpit is small, and turning around to interact with the baggage compartment is challenging. I usually have water with me in a 1.75 ltr bottle that I could then use to fight the fire (as per the posted video), and make an emergency landing. I have also decided, thanks to your inquiry, that I will invest in a smoke hood that they sell at aviation supply shops (something I've debated for a while now). Hopefully that would buy me enough time to get the plane on the ground without smoke inhalation. So thanks again for asking a tough question. I'm glad I've now had a chance to consider this possibility. 

Thanks again!

Just thought I'd post some raw videos of me riding Luffy. Sorry, I don't do any editing and sorry also that it was getting dark. I did add some music to one of them.

One big area I've had issues using Luffy, and the biggest reason for it's occasional scratches, is trying to transition up the lip to my driveway. Easy on my V5F+ casue I have torque to get going after the sudden drop in speed, but not so with Luffy. I guess I need to learn how to jump with it.

Thanks for posting those videos!  Nice selection of riding gear too!  That wheel looks fun to ride, and it is so fast!  I sort of liked the looks of the old Mten better and the Luffy name doesn't sound as cool (maybe Gotway Nano10 or Gotway Mini10 would have been better?), but the spirit of the old wheel still looks to be there!  With the smaller diameter wheel, maybe approaching curbs at an angle is best.  I know with my larger hoverboard it's a trick getting up a slight curb.  I think it might also help to lean back a little as you hit the curb if you do it straight on.  People must really wonder what you're zipping around on as it has such a small profile.  :huh:

The old case design was more open to modifying the battery (a la @TwixFix)  like this:

Regarding the smoke hood, that looks to be a good idea as choices up in the air in a small confined space are not many unless there is some emergency venting system or oxygen tank available.  Maybe cushioning the battery inside the wheel to protect it from vibration and crash damage might also help reduce the chances of problems.  With my Ninebot the battery is loose from the factory.  I had to wrap it in foam padding to secure it.  Others who haven't done a battery mod have had spots worn through the shrink wrap as well as wire insulator wear over time.  Although no fires  were ever reported, it does make you more wary since these wheels go over all types of terrain and crashes.  Any damage to the housed battery is not easily apparent.  In addition, UL labs haven't check these wheels out so you never know whether a hoverboard-like fire could develop.

Edit: After watching the Luffy teardown video, it appears that the battery is inside a plastic battery cage with foam tape cushioning it so it should be safe from vibration and shock damage.  Maybe it is overkill to worry about it?

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanks for posting those videos!  Nice selection of riding gear too!  That wheel looks fun to ride, and it is so fast!  I sort of liked the looks of the old Mten better and the Luffy name doesn't sound as cool (maybe Gotway Nano10 or Gotway Mini10 would have been better?), but the spirit of the old wheel still looks to be there!  With the smaller diameter wheel, maybe approaching curbs at an angle is best.  I know with my larger hoverboard it's a trick getting up a slight curb.  I think it might also help to lean back a little as you hit the curb if you do it straight on.  People must really wonder what you're zipping around on as it has such a small profile.  :huh:

The old case design was more open to modifying the battery (a la @TwixFix)  like this:

Regarding the smoke hood, that looks to be a good idea as choices up in the air in a small confined space are not many unless there is some emergency venting system or oxygen tank available.  Maybe cushioning the battery inside the wheel to protect it from vibration and crash damage might also help reduce the chances of problems.  With my Ninebot the battery is loose from the factory.  I had to wrap it in foam padding to secure it.  Others who haven't done a battery mode have had spots worn through the shrink wrap as well as wire insulator wear over time.  Although no fires  were ever reported, it does make you more wary since these wheels go over all types of terrain and crashes.  Any damage to the housed battery is not easily apparent.  In addition, UL labs haven't check these wheels out so you never know whether a hoverboard-like fire could develop.

Edit: After watching the Luffy teardown video, it appears that the battery is inside a plastic battery cage with foam tape cushioning it so it should be safe from vibration and shock damage.  Maybe it is overkill to worry about it?

Well, I hope the videos just give folks an idea of how it sounds and rides. There is a point in one of the videos where I'm doing a turn, and you can hear a slight scrape of the pedal. Very low pedals. But, yes, the wheel is fun to ride and In my opinion, is more than just a novelty.

I do the leaning back trick with my V5F+, but the Luffy just seems to lack mass and power. That being said, I have popped it up the driveway lip before. It's just hard to do, at least for me.

As far as the battery and build of the Luffy, I'm very impressed. The innards seem very well secured. There is no rattling or any discernable josling going on. Seems quite solid. The only critique I have so far, is the charge port is not aligned super well, and the plug goes in with a little bit of rubbing against the case. I think it is quite a bit better looking than some of the older 10" wheels.

I think @Rehab1 was able to bond a shim onto his pedal support to raise the angle of his pedals up a bit on one of his wheels.  That might help with the clearance a little, or maybe grinding off the leading corner a bit might work.  I do remember seeing someone raise his pedals up a notch, but I think that was specific to the IPS A130.  Again, I think that was @TwixFix.

Archived