Getting to Know My ACM 1600

Rehab1

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

About the peddles, can you find some thin nylon washers?  Or I wonder if the Ninebot's nylon bushings would be a straight swap over if you can get a spare set?  They all probably use different diameter pedal support pins though so maybe nylon washers would be a better bet.

On closer inspection it appears that the support pin holes drilled in the pedals is a larger diameter than the actual support pin. The only way this can be fixed is to install a larger diameter support pin or install nylon bushings in the pedal support pin holes to remove the slop.  I may just learn to live with it. :huh:

I hope your weather warms up so you can get back to riding soon!:P

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Where do you find the production date? I don't recall seeing anything on any of my wheels. If it was in the packaging then I'm out of luck.

For my Monster, there was a label and a QC stamp on the first page of the manual too.

4 minutes ago, captainwells said:

For my Monster, there was a label and a QC stamp on the first page of the manual too.

Thanks. I now see those in mine too. Unfortunately I may have thrown my Monster one away since I can't seem to find it :(

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

On closer inspection it appears that the support pin holes drilled in the pedals is a larger diameter than the actual support pin. The only way this can be fixed is to install a larger diameter support pin or install nylon bushings in the pedal support pin holes to remove the slop.  I may just learn to live with it. :huh:

I hope your weather warms up so you can get back to riding soon!:P

BTW, when returning home I 'discovered' that all of my Gotway pedals have the same slop. It's never bothered me until now. Thanks for that :angry:   ;)

19 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

To late! I was riding a few minutes ago and kept hearing this strange metal clanging sound. I investigated a found both pedals have a crap load of play in them. Being an ex- pilot I hate any type of play in metal bushings! Anyone else have this issue or is this a Gotway quirk I just need to accept?

From reviews and break downs I seen from other youtubers. I know they should have washers and plugs too prevent that.. I was looking to purchase this bad boy myself..

but also, question about your v8... How many miles do you get out of it... and are you a flat land rider or off road? and Could the ACM be a decent commuter to work... or is the v8 better? Plus are the pedals on the ACM smaller than that of the v8?

I'm still debating on the v8 or the ACM 16

I think ACM and V8 are very different wheels. Small-ish battery, agile, slick, great overall package vs big battery, heavy, performance but nothing else. Have you thought about KingSong 16(S)? Might be a better alternative than both.

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I think ACM and V8 are very different wheels. Small-ish battery, agile, slick, great overall package vs big battery, heavy, performance but nothing else. Have you thought about KingSong 16(S)? Might be a better alternative than both.

No... I'm researching into purchasing my first wheel and as any newbie, I was going with look first, and kingsong never caught my eye.. but the more and more I get information.. the longer my list get =(... started at just a ninebot E+... not I have ACM16, Kingsong 16, GOTway MCM, Inmotions v8, ... etc etc... AGGRRGRRHRH.. too many choices =(not truly a bad thing, but now not sure what to pull the trigger on)...

BTW, Kingsong 16S and Gotway ACM 820 have the same weight (17 kg). 

In my opinion, "EUCs for a newbie" is a sales trick that helps them to sell two times more wheels. Low power, low speed, low price. But in reality it makes sense only if a person haven't made a decision about his EUC-future yet. Will he like it or switch to motorbikes/bicycles/jogging/chess instead.

If a rider already tried EUCs and decided to start learning, "the wheel for a newbie" will expire in a month. Then the rider goes to the seller and buys a good wheel. Would it be more smart to buy a good model right away, stick a lot of protective foam on it and start learning? No need to pay twice. No need to torture your legs with a low priced wheel. No need to fear that a low powerful model wouldn't save your unexperienced body from falling eventually. V8 is a good all-arounder unless you like long >35 km trips.

11 hours ago, Radislav said:

BTW, Kingsong 16S and Gotway ACM 820 have the same weight (17 kg). 

In my opinion, "EUCs for a newbie" is a sales trick that helps them to sell two times more wheels. Low power, low speed, low price. But in reality it makes sense only if a person haven't made a decision about his EUC-future yet. Will he like it or switch to motorbikes/bicycles/jogging/chess instead.

If a rider already tried EUCs and decided to start learning, "the wheel for a newbie" will expire in a month. Then the rider goes to the seller and buys a good wheel. Would it be more smart to buy a good model right away, stick a lot of protective foam on it and start learning? No need to pay twice. No need to torture your legs with a low priced wheel. No need to fear that a low powerful model wouldn't save your unexperienced body from falling eventually. V8 is a good all-arounder unless you like long >35 km trips.

Completely agree I could have saved some money buying a good wheel to begin with. My first thoughts were it will take me ages to master plus I thought of it as a toy to play with in my spare time. Instead of paying $2000 on a good EUC I spent $1,500 on a ninebot one e+. After only a few days I wanted a better and more powerful wheel. Just ordered my new wheel Msuper V3S 1300 and am assured that the soldering problem has been rectified. Trying to sell my 1 week old wheel for $1000 locally in Australia. 

Question regarding the ride mode settings on the ACM. During power up my 1600 always defaults back to the soft ride mode setting even though I set it in sports mode. Is this common?

Also there is nothing on my app to indicate the tilt back setting I have selected. There is an auditory beep when I make my selection but nothing to indicate that my preferred setting is locked in. Is there a default for this setting as well?

27 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Question regarding the ride mode settings on the ACM. During power up my 1600 always defaults back to the soft ride mode setting even though I set it in sports mode. Is this common?

Also there is nothing on my app to indicate the tilt back setting I have selected. There is an auditory beep when I make my selection but nothing to indicate that my preferred setting is locked in. Is there a default for this setting as well?

That is the fault of the ^>*>$*<%%# -new- gotway app....

Everytime you start it up new, the wheel forgets it settings! (On my Iphone ios 10)So: dont use it and it will stay as it is....just set settings once there and then leave and never come back!

i would use wheellog(android) or 9bmetrics(iphone)!

26 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

That is the fault of the ^>*>$*<%%# -new- gotway app....

Everytime you start it up new, the wheel forgets it settings! (On my Iphone ios 10)So: dont use it and it will stay as it is....just set settings once there and then leave and never come back!

I think it's not that the wheel forgets its settings, it's that the iOS app doesn't query the wheel properly. I use both the iOS app and the Android app and the Android app doesn't have the same problem. Right now, if I connect the iOS app, it says the wheel is in Soft Mode (wrong), but the Android app correctly shows that it's in Sport/Powerful Mode. The modes have different names on the two apps as well.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Gotway apps suck. Now that that's out of the way...

I really would recommend using their pre-social app. The only time I use it (pre-social app) is to re-calibrate the wheel. Set the alarms and tilt-back setting and then you should not need it again. If you have Android use the Wheellog app for realtime telemetry.

The Gotway app never shows the current setting - just gives you a beep. Best not to have fat fingers when using the app or it'll be a guessing game which of the 3 settings you picked ;) 

Seems very strange that your settings revert, unless that's happening when you connect the app. Otherwise the settings are stored in the flash memory within the wheel.

13 minutes ago, captainwells said:

I think it's not that the wheel forgets its settings, it's that the iOS app doesn't query the wheel properly. I use both the iOS app and the Android app and the Android app doesn't have the same problem. Right now, if I connect the iOS app, it says the wheel is in Soft Mode (wrong), but the Android app correctly shows that it's in Sport/Powerful Mode. The modes have different names on the two apps as well.

So, Gotway chooses Android?  Over Apple?

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Seems very strange that your settings revert, unless that's happening when you connect the app. Otherwise the settings are stored in the flash memory within the wheel.

i have that, too, it seams to be a prob only with the IOS app!

Sets the settings back of ride mode, alarms and tiltback, also....

old app works...but if you never had it on your iphone...now you can not get it anymore in App store!

only users that once have had it, can still get it...

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i have that, too, it seams to be a prob only with the IOS app!

Sets the settings back of ride mode, alarms and tiltback, also....

old app works...but if you never had it on your iphone...now you can not get it anymore in App store!

only users that once have had it, can still get it...

Wow, that really sucks. So there's no way to load an IOS app independent of the Apple store? Hmmm.  With Android I can send the executable to somebody and just load it - Google doesn't get involved at all. Too bad the old IOS app can't be loaded the same way. It's times like this that I hate the Cloud.

@jrkline posted in Facebook about a $20 Android phone that can be purchased from Walmart (sorry @KingSong69) that runs the wheel apps just fine. I guess all the Apple users out there need to drop another $20 for their wheels.

That's one of the reasons why people jailbreak their phones.  You don't have to install apk's from the App Store, but instead you get get them from other sources.  The good thing about the App Store is that Apple has a bit more security control over things as loading unsanctioned apps from other places can be a little sketchy.  You can get free versions of apps that people have cracked if you're into that and don't mind the risks.  Me I went back to a non-jailbroken phone, and I don't miss the jailbreak that much.  

Some apps don't work on non-jailbroken phones like this one that would automatically adjust the blue level of the phone's background lighting depending on the day (can't remember the name right now).   It produced a more amber screen to try to avoid fooling your optics with blue light exposure all the time.  Apparently blue light throws your internal clock off according to some research.

Also Kodi won't work well on a non-jailbroken phone.  That one I use a lot, but I have an android phone too which does the trick.  My android phone sucks battery life like there is no tomorrow though whereas my iPhone can go for about 10 hours or a couple of days if mostly in standby.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, that really sucks. So there's no way to load an IOS app independent of the Apple store? Hmmm.  With Android I can send the executable to somebody and just load it - Google doesn't get involved at all. Too bad the old IOS app can't be loaded the same way. It's times like this that I hate the Cloud.

@jrkline posted in Facebook about a $20 Android phone that can be purchased from Walmart (sorry @KingSong69) that runs the wheel apps just fine. I guess all the Apple users out there need to drop another $20 for their wheels.

i have the old GW app :-)

....i dont know @Rehab1 has? i would advice apple usere to set the settings once in new gw app, and then use "gyrometrics"....fantastic app.......

Actually there is a way to share apps between two iPhones on different AppleIDs. Without AppStore and no jailbreak is needed. You have to sync the first iPhone with iTunes on a Mac or PC. Then you take the .ipa file of that app from iTunes and transfer it to another user's Mac or PC. Then that user syncs his iPhone with his iTunes and the app goes to iPhone. But... he would have an error during the final process because all the .ipa files are signed to the AppleID they were installed on. They will not work on an iDevice with a different AppleID. There are 2 ways to get around the error. First, there are hacker tools to re-sign the .ipa to another AppleID. Second, you have to enter first AppleID on the second iPhone before the procedure. Then you revert to your own AppleID in the Settings for your apps to receive updates as they did before. An alien app will work, but no updates will be available for it (we don't need them anyway with an old GW app).

16 minutes ago, Radislav said:

Actually there is a way to share apps between two iPhones on different AppleIDs. Without AppStore and no jailbreak is needed. You have to sync the first iPhone with iTunes on a Mac or PC. Then you take the .ipa file of that app from iTunes and transfer it to another user's Mac or PC. Then that user syncs his iPhone with his iTunes and the app goes to iPhone. But... he would have an error during the final process because all the .ipa files are signed to the AppleID they were installed on. They will not work on an iDevice with a different AppleID. There are 2 ways to get around the error. First, there are hacker tools to re-sign the .ipa to another AppleID. Second, you have to enter first AppleID on the second iPhone before the procedure. Then you revert to your own AppleID in the Settings for your apps to receive updates as they did before. An alien app will work, but no updates will be available for it (we don't need them anyway with an old GW app).

It's 2017 and we still have to put up with this crap. You have to be really committed to go through what you described. I guess it's good that somehow it's still possible. Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks all for the input!

Well Sh..t, Gotway has a ton of idiosyncrasies that are becoming annoying. I need to contact my old buddy Julian Assange of Wikileaks to break in and reprogram my wheel. I have an LG android phone so this sounds like a plan. My wheel is at work so I will give it a try in a few hours and report back. 

OK...this is getting frustrating!! When connecting to my ACM 1600 using an LG Android the settings now appear to remain in memory after shut down  but now the highest setting for the tilt back alarm is only 36km/h where on the Iphone the tilt back is 48km/h. I do not want any surprise tilt back warnings popping up at some undetermined speed the software picks at random! UGH! Right now I love my Inmotion more than ever!

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

OK...this is getting frustrating!! When connecting to my ACM 1600 using an LG Android the settings now appear to remain in memory after shut down  but now the highest setting for the tilt back alarm is only 36km/h where on the Iphone the tilt back is 48km/h. I do not want any surprise tilt back warnings popping up at some undetermined speed the software picks at random! UGH! Right now I love my Inmotion more than ever!

Are the major distributors expressing this problem to Gotway? Do we need to write a group letter to them? What can we do to be proactive on this app nonsense?

This all sounds pathetic that there's such inconsistencies, I'm waiting on a acm 1300, and use an iPhone, I guess I can expect it not to work.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@Rehab1, this is the Gotway app that I use for all my wheels. Works great in terms of the problems that you have been having. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtnl29hnlrngdv9/Android161124-24Nov2016.apk?dl=0

Archived