Getting to Know My ACM 1600

Rehab1

My pedals definitely have no play, everything is nice and tight. All other wheels are supposed to be the same (see Marty's ACM pedal change video).

edit: ok, when the pedal is down there's absolutely no play. But you can rattle them a little when they're not down or closed completely. So I guess yours is in the Gotway tolerances. If you find a nice solution, tell us.

And the black marker... really? Even for Gotway that's a new low. That QC stamp means literally nothing:rolleyes:

You could ask the seller for a discount (especially if they didn't send the promised handle) and do a bad rating (especially if they don't react fast, that might get their attention).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

To late! I was riding a few minutes ago and kept hearing this strange metal clanging sound. I investigated a found both pedals have a crap load of play in them. Being a pilot I hate any type of play in metal bushings! Anyone else have this issue or is this a Gotway quirk I just need to accept?

Hahaha....Sorry...but thats Gotway quality....

on a KS the pedal snaps in like on a Mercedes....as i first got my V3 Msuper...i thought "what the hell is that pedal crap?"....

But you have to see it when it is fully down and horizontal ...then it's not moving anymore and really sturdy....

we all excuse the crappy Quality control with the great performance they deliver :-)

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

My pedals definitely have no play, everything is nice and tight. All other wheels are supposed to be the same (see Marty's ACM pedal change video).

Can I purchase your pedals? I will find a way to take the slop out of the pedals! 

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You could ask the seller for a discount (especially if they didn't send the promised handle

They are suppose to send out the handle. Being I purchased the ACM using Paypal I cannot leave a comment on aliexpress!

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

we all excuse the crappy Quality control with the great performance they deliver :-)

Ugh... not all of us!:huh:

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

To late! I was riding a few minutes ago and kept hearing this strange metal clanging sound. I investigated a found both pedals have a crap load of play in them. Being an ex- pilot I hate any type of play in metal bushings! Anyone else have this issue or is this a Gotway quirk I just need to accept?

Yeah, that's way too much play. All of my Gotway wheels have had good tolerances on the pedals. Looks like you have enough play that you'll be able to fit a washer in there. At a good hardware store you can purchase shim spacers. And if you don't have access to a good hardware store but are near a Harbor Freight, buy a cheapo feeler gauge set and you can pull out the gauge that exactly fills the gap, and create your own shims.

Just some ideas, but I agree, that much slop would bother me.

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh... not all of us!:huh:

like is said...this play is only when moving up and down......when horizontal their should be none...but wait a bit...i show you how others have done that....

I see your point! We need more comparisons between wheels, these are great. Maybe we should start a comparison thread with your video and the photos. That would be a great help for people deciding between wheels (how they look and feel etc).

@Rehab1

so as you see my vid i would say your "play" is totaly normal...as you did not have even any dirt there to make it less...

But when the peds are down everything should be ok and good...thats just the GW way of securing a pedal.....

as you see in my video, if without any movement on a KS.....that can have downsides also ;-)

38 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Ok, please dont lough about me....

Thanks for the video! It still bothers me!

Sorry I did have to chuckle!:) The sadistic side of me!:clap3: No blood!

OK, now I'm going to have to check all of my pedals when I get home. Maybe I have a false memory and/or your video is accentuating the slop. Damn, I thought I had great pedals and not I'm not sure :furious:  I wonder if it's too late to get some store credit?

You do realize that we may be going down a rabbit hole here :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

OK, now I'm going to have to check all of my pedals when I get home. Maybe I have a false memory and/or your video is accentuating the slop. Damn, I thought I had great pedals and not I'm not sure :furious:  I wonder if it's too late to get some store credit?

You do realize that we may be going down a rabbit hole here :unsure:

I have the perfect fix Marty!

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have the perfect fix Marty!

:D And at the time you bought it you wondered if you'd really get any use out of an adjustable wrench.

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:D And at the time you bought it you wondered if you'd really get any use out of an adjustable wrench.

Now I am trying out your idea about adding washers to reduce the play. You did say weld them in place...right?

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Now I am trying out your idea about adding washers to reduce the play. You did say weld them in place...right?

:shock2: You're out of control.  Are you qualified for welding aluminum?

On the theme of relearning body position, issues of pedal slop aside, some of the basics might be helpful to be relearned as you deem fit. Perhaps you could  borrow from this Ninebot video. You sound like a competent fast rider who could benefit from readjusting to the slow stuff on your powerful and expensive new purchase. Of course there's the three point mounting technique and the stride mount with on foot on the EUC and the following foot catching up for placement. The ding in the wheel must have passed inspection at Gotway. Your initial satisfaction is just another mount onto it experience away. Your incident is a reminder of the machines potential torque. Good luck with it.

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:shock2: You're out of control.  Are you qualified for welding aluminum?

:P Always fun to fire up the torch ! I am terrible at welding aluminum! 

40 minutes ago, steve454 said:
52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That looks like a cutting torch, set at the perfect ratio of oxygen to acetylene.

Just an oxygen/ acetylene welding torch but slap a different head on it and it can be used for cutting!

45 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

On the theme of relearning body position, issues of pedal slop aside, some of the basics might be helpful to be relearned as you deem fit. Perhaps you could  borrow from this Ninebot video. You sound like a competent fast rider who could benefit from readjusting to the slow stuff on your powerful and expensive new purchase. Of course there's the three point mounting technique and the stride mount with on foot on the EUC and the following foot catching up for placement. The ding in the wheel must have passed inspection at Gotway. Your initial satisfaction is just another mount onto it experience away. Your incident is a reminder of the machines potential torque. Good luck with it.

I appreciate your concerns! First time I have missed a pedal in 6 months! Just a stupid move!

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

First time I have missed a pedal in 6 months! 

Well, it's easy to see how, the ACM is a lot wider, thanks for the comparison photos. The V8 is so narrow compared to the ACM.

Whoa I am so late to the party!  :popcorn:  Congrats on yet another new wheel!  :thumbup:  Sorry to hear about the scratches, but these babies were meant to be ridden so some war wounds are bound to show up.  A skateboard without any scratches likely hasn't been enjoyed!  With the black matte plastic it's probably not that visible and maybe some matte finish Plasti-Dip might help cover it up.  About the peddles, can you find some thin nylon washers?  Or I wonder if the Ninebot's nylon bushings would be a straight swap over if you can get a spare set?  They all probably use different diameter pedal support pins though so maybe nylon washers would be a better bet.

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The ding in the wheel must have passed inspection at Gotway.

Shipping that to a customer who paid over $1000 is disgraceful.

Gotway inspector stands 10 feet away and says "Looks good from here. Ship it!"

17 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I have been mounting my Inmotions for so long without looking down it has become automatic.

I always look down when mounting, because I am very particular about my foot position. Even when looking, once in a while my foot bumps on the side of the pedal. Fortunately this has not yet sent my wheel tumbling as happened to you.

Archived