Getting to Know My ACM 1600

Rehab1

Let me begin by apologizing and stating this is not the full review of my new ACM 1600 I was hoping to submit but sometimes unforeseen  events happen in life. 

Jumping on board my new Gotway ACM 1600 for my first excursion was uneventful. I was smiling ear to ear! I tooled around the parking lot at my facility to gain some appreciation of this beast between my legs. The wider stance of my legs compared to the V8 and V5F+  felt comfortable. I originally thought this was going to be an issue transitioning from the Inmotions. The wheel felt extremely stable and rock solid due to it's girth and weight! I equate it to driving a sports car and then jumping into a Hummer H2.  

The wheel is well balanced and accelerated smoothly and confidently without any uncontrollable, erratic movements. It does not have the rapid acceleration of the V8 and is not as nimble. In my opinion this a cruising machine designed to take on long trips without having to worry running out of power. It is way too heavy to navigate stairs and I would hate to be in a position that forced me to carry it back home. 

After 10 minutes of riding around I decided to evaluate the acceleration and quick stop characteristics. I have been mounting my Inmotions for so long without looking down it has become automatic. I attempted the same method with my new Gotway. As my right foot ascended  it caught the outside edge of the pedal causing it to rise up. In a matter of milliseconds the wheel took off spinning and tumbling violently end over end. When the wheel came to rest both pedals and the sides of the plastic housing were scratched. It felt like taking delivery of a new car and getting into an accident shortly after leaving the dealer's parking lot.

I am so bummed that I have put the wheel away for now. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I get it well, the ACM is not made to jump on it and accelerate very fast as for the Inmotion v8. You are better to get on it, ride a few meters and then accelerate. Is that right ? I often heard that it's not a good idea to accelerate fast few seconds after turning the device on. It takes few seconds to "heat up".

8 minutes ago, Roue Libre said:

So if I get it well, the ACM is not made to jump on it and accelerate very fast as for the Inmotion v8. You are better to get on it, ride a few meters and then accelerate. Is that right ? I often heard that it's not a good idea to accelerate fast few seconds after turning the device on. It takes few seconds to "heat up".

I guess what you mean is that the wheel collapses if you just ride on it after just one second of powering on! Yip, this faults CAN happen ...but most not...To be secure:

This means just to do it like this: Power it on....move the wheel by Hand (strong movement) to check if it has power and filled up the capacitors....than you can drive like you want to!

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

After 10 minutes of riding around I decided to evaluate the acceleration and quick stop characteristics. I have been mounting my Inmotions for so long without looking down it has become automatic. I attempted the same method with my new Gotway. As my right foot ascended  it caught the outside edge of the pedal causing it to rise up. In a matter of milliseconds the wheel took off spinning and tumbling violently end over end. When the wheel came to rest both pedals and the sides of the plastic housing were scratched. It felt like taking delivery of a new car and getting into an accident shortly after leaving the dealer's parking lot.

Ooh oh...,not a nice start....i wish it gets better the next time!

Things like this happen if you are used to a specific wheel.....but don't worry..some scratches you would have at all after some time.....

May i ask if there was a trolley for free with in the delivery of the ali shop?

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

It felt like taking delivery of a new car and getting into an accident shortly after leaving the dealer's parking lot.

I hear you, this is exactly what happened to me the first day I got my mcm4, I tried to overpass the warning beeps, and it cutoff at high speeds, I have never scratched it more than that first day, it's always painful..but it happens sooner or later unfortunately.

Your comparaison with the V8 is interesting, despite being less powerful the V8 accelerates faster ! The ACM does feel like a truck compared to other wheels, and like you said it's an advantage for long trips, not so much in a tight city street ^^

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

It is way too heavy to navigate stairs and I would hate to be in a position that forced me to carry it back home.

Thanks for your review. Let me ask you for the favour - would you be so kind to weigh it please!

Afaik, ACM-1600 net weight should be the same as ACM-1300 (19.5 kg). But it was never proven in practice.

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

May i ask if there was a trolley for free with in the delivery of the ali shop?

The promised trolley handle never arrive. I did contact the seller and was assured it will ship.

8 hours ago, Radislav said:

Thanks for your review. Let me ask you for the favour - would you be so kind to weigh it please!

The weight is 20.4 KG

My secretary's hands:)

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

am so bummed that I have put the wheel away for now.

Rehab, sorry about your mishap. Hopefully today you will get back on the horse and tell us more, we are all anxious to hear about the wheel. Does it have white panels or is it all black? Does the v5f+ have faster acceleration?

thanks

15 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Here are some comparative photos of both the V8 vs the ACM. The ACM is quite a bit wider.

I can't see any scratches on your ACM it looks like new ! It is wider, but some riders said that the fact it is wider gives it more agility than the regular ACM, I can't really say because I've never tried a regular ACM. The V8 looks much more "professional" from this standpoint :o

I hope you'll soon put more miles in your ACM, it's really a joy to ride, it's very comfortable because of those thick leg protection on the sides.

Congrats @Rehab1 on finally having your long awaited ACM :cheers:. I hope that it ultimately meets your expectations.

Of course I realize that everyone has different expectations for how they want their wheel to look. Perhaps it's because of the type of riding that I enjoy (trail riding in the mountains is the best :)), my wheels are susceptible to falls and the resulting dings and scratches. So I've come to appreciate the used look and generally don't even clean them any more. So it's all about your attitude (duh!). Recall that the Gotway's are not known for their flashy looks. They're meant for business (like the Hummer) and to take on the world.

That being said, the first big ding is always sad. But now that it's done you can view your ACM as the workhorse wheel that it is and no longer need to pamper it :D

I always mount slowly and than accelerate. I'll have to try this new method that I wasn't aware of - mad acceleration with one foot as the other foot leaves the ground :unsure: 

6 hours ago, Roue Libre said:

Sorry that I missed your question. No it is not a matter of jumping on and accelerating fast. My muscle memory has been intrinsically calibrated by the 100s of times I have mounted my pedals without looking down and during the mount my foot did not compensate for the wider structural and I missed the pedal. 

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

rehab, sorry to put you too work, the photos are terrific. Can you give us accurate dimensions please H x L x W"

THANKS !!

Not a problem! 49 cm H x 21cm W x 43cm long. 

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrats @Rehab1 on finally having your long awaited ACM :cheers:. I hope that it ultimately meets your expectations.

Thanks buddy! I envy you Marty! Your beautiful weather and scenery in CA with Illimitable places to ride!  I worked all weekend and just finding the time to ride has become a real challenge. 

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Recall that the Gotway's are not known for their flashy looks. They're meant for business (like the Hummer) and to take on the world

It definitely is a man's machine! 

Wishing you a speedy recovery from that fall Rehab1. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Recall that the Gotway's are not known for their flashy looks.

Except for the Monster version - those have the best paint jobs in the EUC market. 

Note to new riders: the first day outside will be the day your wheel gets the most and worst scratches. If you cushion it after that, that's too late;) Guess how I learned this...

Sorry to hear about the scratches but in the end, if you don't care, nobody does:P Also nice photos, especially the stance ones (you are standing backwards on the ACM;))- it's really hard to compare wheels in general so photos like these are great.

Qs:

1. Why is it heavier than the 1300? Are higher capacity cells really heavier?

2. Black side panels seem to be the new standard for the 84V ACMs? Personally I think white is nicer but it seems more people like black? What's your wheels production date (it can be found somewhere, mine with white panels is beginning of December)?

@Han You can get monster-colored ACMs from Korea: 

46 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Note to new riders: the first day outside will be the day your wheel gets the most and worst scratches. If you cushion it after that, that's too late;) Guess how I learned this...

Sorry to hear about the scratches but in the end, if you don't care, nobody does:P Also nice photos, especially the stance ones (you are standing backwards on the ACM;))- it's really hard to compare wheels in general so photos like these are great.

Qs:

1. Why is it heavier than the 1300? Are higher capacity cells really heavier?

2. Black side panels seem to be the new standard for the 84V ACMs? Personally I think white is nicer but it seems more people like black? What's your wheels production date (it can be found somewhere, mine with white panels is beginning of December)?

@Han You can get monster-colored ACMs from Korea: 

different cells....different weight....lower mah can even be higher weight also, depends on brand!

thats not much...perhaps 3 grams or 5 max per cell? but as we have 120 cells, this can work out to some grams in complete....

and yes, black is new standard....

55 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

What's your wheels production date (it can be found somewhere, mine with white panels is beginning of December)?

Production date was February 2017.

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Production date was February 2017.

Where do you find the production date? I don't recall seeing anything on any of my wheels. If it was in the packaging then I'm out of luck.

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Where do you find the production date? I don't recall seeing anything on any of my wheels. If it was in the packaging then I'm out of luck.

There was a label attached with the date 02/20/2017. See photo

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

and yes, black is new standard

The ACM box states either white or black

Someone at the factory must have slipped and drilled this jagged hole into the rim next to the stem. If you look close it appears they attempted to conceal the scratch with a black marker. Great quality control!

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Someone at the factory must have slipped and drilled this jagged hole into the rim next to the stem. If you look close it appears they attempted to conceal the scratch with a black marker. Great quality control!

For your own sanity I think it's best if you don't look too close at your wheel ;)

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

For your own sanity I think it's best if you don't look too close at your wheel ;)

To late! I was riding a few minutes ago and kept hearing this strange metal clanging sound. I investigated a found both pedals have a crap load of play in them. Being an ex- pilot I hate any type of play in metal bushings! Anyone else have this issue or is this a Gotway quirk I just need to accept?

Archived