The Rockwheel GT16 Rocks !!

Pingouin

Hi guys !

So I had the opportunity to test out the new incoming Rockwheel GT16 and I wanted to share my thoughts about it, I think it's one of the most attended EUC with the KS16S, what I can say about this one is man this thing is awsome !!! The one I had was the 850Wh version I think (not sure if it's the final version)

First thing I've immediatly noticed with just a glance at it, it's about the same size as my MCM4, it event seems less wide, but that may just be an impression. I've tried to lift it, it's clearly heavier than my MCM4 but lighter than my ACM, the handle is quite nice, the power button is located under it btw. The finish seems quite good (maybe a little less than the inmotion V8 for example) about the same as the gotways, the look if the wheel is sporty that's for sure, the lights are very discrete, they don't stick out as much as on other models like the msuper3 or KS18, but that's not the interesting part.

Putting it between my legs, the pedals feel comfortable and grippy (more than the MCM4 but less than the ACM), nothing in the case of the wheel sticks out like with the MCM2, the padding on the sides are comfortable, maybe a little more rigid than the ones on the ACM, I would say about the same as the KS16B.

So, frist try...it takes off like a charm, I could immediatly feel that the wheel is very very agile, I would say...it is even more agile than my MCM4 ! That's incredible considering it's a "16" inch wheel. The tire pressure was a little high for my weight but the comfort was good, much better than the MCM4, about the same as the ACM I would say, but I haven't tested it on offroad so...can't say for sure. It feels very lightweight although it is about 18kg.

The power is...incredible ! I thought my ACM had some power, but this one is a clear winner in acceleration, I could feel the 2000W under my feets, I unfortunately was alone while riding it, I would say this one can climb almost anything, I tested some rough accelerations and it never beeped, I think it reached about 40kph at max speed, it could go from 15 to 40 in an instant, for those who have the ACM because you think that it feels more powerful than the Msuper3, the GT16 will blow your minds away, you'll have to test it ! It also breaks very fast (as fast as my MCM4 HT and faster than my ACM)

Talking about speed, it's stable at speed, I would say perhaps a little less than the ACM, but that's maybe because I'm not used to it, it's also easier to ride backwards because the transition time from forward to back is almost null. I can't say if it can reach 55kph or not, I wouldn't be comfortable at these speeds, but I can say that this wheel has the potential to do so because it is so powerful.

My final thoughts would be, if it's reliable, and if a trolley can be installed, it's a winner. It's fast, powerful (the most powerful I've tested, I can't see the Monster feeling more powerful than this one), agile (about the same as a "14") comfortable, good looking...I should also be ok with the range, the only con for me would be that the motor is loud, but at the same level as a KS16B. If I have to buy a new wheel, this one would be the one ! For those looking for a sporty wheel and for something different, I would say go ahead, I can say that it is the best wheel I have ever ridden !!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys !

So I had the opportunity to test out the new incoming Rockwheel GT16 and I wanted to share my thoughts about it, I think it's one of the most attended EUC with the KS16S, what I can say about this one is man this thing is awsome !!! The one I had was the 850Wh version I think (not sure if it's the final version)

First thing I've immediatly noticed with just a glance at it, it's about the same size as my MCM4, it event seems less wide, but that may just be an impression. I've tried to lift it, it's clearly heavier than my MCM4 but lighter than my ACM, the handle is quite nice, the power button is located under it btw. The finish seems quite good (maybe a little less than the inmotion V8 for example) about the same as the gotways, the look if the wheel is sporty that's for sure, the lights are very discrete, they don't stick out as much as on other models like the msuper3 or KS18, but that's not the interesting part.

Putting it between my legs, the pedals feel comfortable and grippy (more than the MCM4 but less than the ACM), nothing in the case of the wheel sticks out like with the MCM2, the padding on the sides are comfortable, maybe a little more rigid than the ones on the ACM, I would say about the same as the KS16B.

So, frist try...it takes off like a charm, I could immediatly feel that the wheel is very very agile, I would say...it is even more agile than my MCM4 ! That's incredible considering it's a "16" inch wheel. The tire pressure was a little high for my weight but the comfort was good, much better than the MCM4, about the same as the ACM I would say, but I haven't tested it on offroad so...can't say for sure. It feels very lightweight although it is about 18kg.

The power is...incredible ! I thought my ACM had some power, but this one is a clear winner in acceleration, I could feel the 2000W under my feets, I unfortunately was alone while riding it, I would say this one can climb almost anything, I tested some rough accelerations and it never beeped, I think it reached about 40kph at max speed, it could go from 15 to 40 in an instant, for those who have the ACM because you think that it feels more powerful than the Msuper3, the GT16 will blow your minds away, you'll have to test it ! It also breaks very fast (as fast as my MCM4 HT and faster than my ACM)

Talking about speed, it's stable at speed, I would say perhaps a little less than the ACM, but that's maybe because I'm not used to it, it's also easier to ride backwards because the transition time from forward to back is almost null. I can't say if it can reach 55kph or not, I wouldn't be comfortable at these speeds, but I can say that this wheel has the potential to do so because it is so powerful.

My final thoughts would be, if it's reliable, and if a trolley can be installed, it's a winner. It's fast, powerful (the most powerful I've tested, I can't see the Monster feeling more powerful than this one), agile (about the same as a "14") comfortable, good looking...I should also be ok with the range, the only con for me would be that the motor is loud, but at the same level as a KS16B. If I have to buy a new wheel, this one would be the one ! For those looking for a sporty wheel and for something different, I would say go ahead, I can say that it is the best wheel I have ever ridden !!

Wow! If you didn't already own other brand wheels, I'd suspect that you work for Rockwheel. But you do, so I don't.  You've made me want to try one.  What is the price supposed to be?

11 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys !

I'm interested in this wheel like a lot of people, but I think I'll believe when I see people actually buying one. I hope it meets expectations.

Hi,

I do not work for Rockwheel or any EUC brand, it might be interesting to be a reseller but in that case I would sell other brands ^^

I had the opportunity to test, I think on aliexpress (and so it might not be the final version but I'm not sure), it's about 1000$. I do not know if it is possible to add battery pack, I suspect it's not possible because of the tight space inside, but an external battery pack might be possible.

Marty, I tested it for about 10 miles I would say, enough for me to make my opinion, but you are right, I didn't buy one so I perhaps don't have an objective overview like with the ACM, and like I said I don't know about reliability and practicality everyday ;)

@Pingouin Great read! This looks very promising I'm keeping track of this one.. It probably sounds louder because of that angry 2000W motor :) I think the reason why this wheel is easier to twist around is because most of the weight is around the middle with vertically mounted rows of batteries. So the mass you're swinging around would mostly feel like just turning the motor/tire around. But with the ACM the case is bigger horizontally and the battery weight is distributed more horizontally, plus it's overall heavier, so that should make it harder to rotate horizontally with your legs! If the ACM is harder to turn that also means it's more stable. In other words if the GT16 is more agile that also means it's less stable. You can't have both as these physics tend to counter each other, agility vs stability. What I take from your words is that the riding feels like the agility of a 14" with the comfort of a 16", which would make total sense and should be fun to ride if you ask me :thumbup: I guess they ditched the suspension or shock absorption/dampening idea for the pedals as you didn't mention it, safety and durability reasons come to mind... By the way do you have the 67.2V ACM or the 84V version? The 1300/1600Wh has almost twice the battery output power compared to the 680/820Wh ACM.

Is this wheel a partially/fully crowd funded project, I think the IPS Zero was also crowd funded? The pictures I've seen of the GT16 control board looks like they are using proper high quality components! I think Rockwheel is a Korean company while all the other manufacturers are Chinese right?

You have it good, the bigger motors seems to "whistle" more, probably due to the electricity passing through more copper wires, and the batteries are indeed in the middle, that would explain the agility, maybe it is also due to the tire itself but I didn't compare it to the Acm. The ACM does feel a little more stable at speeds but considering I am not used to the GT16 I think it's almost negligeable, also the algorithm of the GT16 seems better than the one on the ACM, when turning the wheel doesn't lean forward, this might be the reason I feel at ease when turning with it, and why I say it's even more agile than a "14" (about the same as the MCM2).

Regarding the pedals, they do have some sort of thick coating on it, I personnaly didn't feel any major difference but it might absorb a little of the shocks, I didn't really pay attention to it tbh. It was the 84v version, so the most powerful, but I also have the 84v ACM so it's a fair comparaison (as the ACM 84v seems to be considered the fastest accelerator for now). I didn't look inside the wheel so I can't say about the PCB, but the algorithm is perfect imo, somewhere between the "comfort" and "sport" mode of gotway, the gliding sensation is sensational ! (better than gotway for me, while gotway was much better than the kingsong feeling for me)

The big question for me is it's reliability and solidity, will it last ? I think it would, it seemed very solid, nothing cracked like on the KS18, but the only proof will be the feedback of users riding it for months, but I think Rockwheel after years wouldn't come out with an unreliable product as it would ruin it's reputation.

I will be buying this wheel sooner or later, I almost regret buying the ACM, but now I would loose too much money buy selling my ACM only a few weeks after, and the ACM is still a great wheel, it's just that the GT16 has something special. Too bad I can't buy anything else for now :/

9 hours ago, swvision said:

I might get the GT16 as my next wheel; however, it would be nice if it came with more watt hours. I wonder if I could attach an external battery case or something.

it could have about a bit more than 1/6 bigger capcity...if they would use the 3500mah cells instead of the 2900mah now used...

that would be 1036wh.........perhaps that comes later!

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

I will be buying this wheel sooner or later, I almost regret buying the ACM, but now I would loose too much money buy selling my ACM only a few weeks after, and the ACM is still a great wheel, it's just that the GT16 has something special. Too bad I can't buy anything else for now :/

If you want to get rid of/sell your ACm 84Volt....ask me first then ;-)

16 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

If you want to get rid of/sell your ACm 84Volt....ask me first then ;-)

I will, for now I'm considering selling my mcm4 to buy one, as my mcm4 fells so slow even though I still like it, but that would not even pay me the half of the GT16 (I would go for the 850Wh considering that it is a sporty wheel so range is likely to be less than on the ACM for the same Wh) ^^

Great report. Still hard to get an accurate impression of a wheel without having tried as many as possible. And main advantage of the 84V ACMs is still the biiiiig battery (>1000 Wh) which the GT16 unfortunately does not have (it's close, though).

I'm wondering if the differences in "directness" are simple software things (like the drive modes many wheels have), or hardware based (besides the higher powered motor, or is it just that?).

I'm also wondering when there are safety differences with wheels being more direct/faster acceleration/etc - does the GT16 just react faster, or do you have to be more careful using it not to slip when braking hard (or whatever else)?

Also, how does one get to test these new shiny model EUCs, is there a trick?;)

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, how does one get to test these new shiny model EUCs, is there a trick?;)

I believe @Pingouin is a Paris/France user, ie. the EUC capital of the non-Asian world. Shops like Gyroroue, Eroue, and Urban360 have test-drive models and/or sell the wheel itself.

All this GT16 talk has me anxiously anticipating my 858WH 84V GT16 order from AliExpress!

Yes, it's true the ACM suits perfectly my needs, I think I will keep it and get the GT16 sooner or later.

I think the differences are both software and power related, the GT16 has 500W more than the ACM while being lighter !

From what I can tell, it reacts faster, I tried some hard breaking, I think it's not dangerous and your feet don't slip, the higher power motor might help to decelerate, but to convince yourself, you should try one that's for sure, because nobody feels exactly the same although it is the same wheel. To try these new model ? Well two solutions, either you know a store that has some to test out, or you have an impatient friend who ordered it :D

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I believe @Pingouin is a Paris/France user, ie. the EUC capital of the non-Asian world. Shops like Gyroroue, Eroue, and Urban360 have test-drive models and/or sell the wheel itself.

All this GT16 talk has me anxiously anticipating my 858WH 84V GT16 order from AliExpress!

Hi, no I do not live in Paris, I simply had a friend who bought the GT16 I believe from aliexpress (but I should ask him the next time I see him) or maybe he brought it back from his trips (he travels alot) but it seems unlikely because of the 100Wh limit in most aerial company.

3 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi, no I do not live in Paris, I simply had a friend who bought the GT16 I believe from aliexpress (but I should ask him the next time I see him)

Ah, my mistake then. Nice to have early adopter EUC friends then! ;)

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, my mistake then. Nice to have early adopter EUC friends then! ;)

No prob ^^

I look forward to read your opinion on the GT16 when it arrives, I don't think it will dissapoint you !

41 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

No prob ^^

I look forward to read your opinion on the GT16 when it arrives, I don't think it will dissapoint you !

Will definitely give my impressions here~

I'm pretty eager to ride, especially since the GT16 purports to have more nominal power at 2000W than my 1600W nominal Gotway Monster!

Nice to see these GT16's starting to impress people.  Rockwheel hasn't had the most perfect history for reliability, but looking at some of the control board components and monster heat sink in their new wheel I think they are trying to rebuild customer confidence in them.  Hopefully they will thrive again with this new GT16 and future designs.  Too bad the one french EUC store won't be carrying them due to difficulties accessing the internal components?  I love the new design appearance and performance specifications, but ease of access to repair parts is also important.

On 3/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, houseofjob said:

Will definitely give my impressions here~

I'm pretty eager to ride, especially since the GT16 purports to have more nominal power at 2000W than my 1600W nominal Gotway Monster!

When are you expecting delivery?  You ordered yours on Feb. 5 from Rockwheel Store on AliExpress?

6 hours ago, captainwells said:

When are you expecting delivery?  You ordered yours on Feb. 5 from Rockwheel Store on AliExpress?

My guarantee runs out the 20th, so hopefully sometime next week. (yes, Rockwheel AliX store)

7 minutes ago, Roue Libre said:

AliExpress translates to most languages; for the English translation, click the top right "Go to Global Site (English)" (or just click the GT16 in my signature).

On 3/5/2017 at 6:05 PM, Pingouin said:

No prob ^^

I am curious about your impression of pedal height on the GT16... after experiencing the fantastic increased height on the Inmotion V5F+, I really can't see buying another low pedaled wheel!

6 hours ago, LorenW said:

I am curious about your impression of pedal height on the GT16... after experiencing the fantastic increased height on the Inmotion V5F+, I really can't see buying another low pedaled wheel!

Hi, I didn't measure but they never touched the ground, I think they are quite high, I would say more than the ACM and the Msuper3, plus they don't lean forward when turning, so I think you are very safe with these pedals !

On 3/5/2017 at 8:39 AM, Pingouin said:

I will be buying this wheel sooner or later, I almost regret buying the ACM, but now I would loose too much money buy selling my ACM only a few weeks after, and the ACM is still a great wheel, it's just that the GT16 has something special. 

Great minds think alike :P

Archived