ACM 16 pedal behaviour

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Please tell more! Did you do just a regular calibration from the IAMIPS app, or something more? Did you calibrate it to be exactly level?

I couldn't connect with the app, but they sent me instructions to jumper some connectors to the main board to do the calibration. It should be the same as using the app if you can do that. I tried my best to get it level not only forward and back but also side to side. It's very hard to do this, I ended up hanging it from the handle such that the tire just touches the floor. I don't particularly recommend this way if you can find another way, it took me a bunch of attempts to get it. 

Thanks, Shoe73. I have calibrated my Lhotz (latest version as of March 2nd) several times with the IAMIPS app on an iPhone 6. After trying slight angles, I used a level to make it precisely horizontal. But I still have the same forward tilt in tight turns. I will try again and pay more attention to the sideways tilt.

• 3 months later...

I have a new acm 16 1300wn 84v and I have ridden it just long enough to notice this very same behavior.  When I started the wheel it would go straight to a toe down stance making it difficult to learn.  When I started turning, the pedals would drop even more to the point where my toes where scraping the ground.  My kids have android phones, so I used that to connect to the wheel.  When I hit the calibrate button, the wheel went limp and started beeping, the a long solid tone.  Now my wheel starts with a tilt back in the pedals making it difficult for me to start riding and it still goes toe low dramatically when I turn.  The good thing is that there was a change.  Now, can any of you tell me how to properly use the calibrate mode?  When the wheel goes limp, do I just hold it in the position I want and wait?  Not much in the instruction realm with these apps.

@Hoser I calibrated my 1300Wh ACM according to these instructions (see video). Didn't work exactly like it, some other strange beeps (the continous, ear-shattering beep like you), but the principal idea was right. Using a real, big level instead of a phone app was a great help.

I recommend doing a really bad tilt calibration to confirm what you do works, and to see how exactly it works.

The key to getting rid of this immensely annoying pedal dipping seems to be to hold the wheel vertical sideways (not tilted left or right) during the calibration. Pedals still can be tilted forwards/backwards if you prefer.

Good luck. You can get rid of the dipping with a proper calibration.

On 7/30/2017 at 0:11 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Hoser I calibrated my 1300Wh ACM according to these instructions (see video). Didn't work exactly like it, some other strange beeps (the continous, ear-shattering beep like you), but the principal idea was right. Using a real, big level instead of a phone app was a great help.

I recommend doing a really bad tilt calibration to confirm what you do works, and to see how exactly it works.

The key to getting rid of this immensely annoying pedal dipping seems to be to hold the wheel vertical sideways (not tilted left or right) during the calibration. Pedals still can be tilted forwards/backwards if you prefer.

Good luck. You can get rid of the dipping with a proper calibration.

Thanks for this post it was most helpful!  I managed to reset the wheel according to the above video and I now have a comfortable setting for my pedals.  However, I continue to have problems with the pedals changing while turning.  Now that I'm a little more experienced, I can feel what's going on better.  When I do a right turn, the pedals tilt back for a second then do a slow tilt down or toe down if you will.  When I turn left, there is a rapid and radical toe down.  This behaviour makes it difficult to learn and enjoy riding, but ride I must.  Anyone else suffering from this?  Any solutions?  Thanks for the help so far!

7 minutes ago, Shoe73 said:

@Hoser Try calibration again, making sure the wheel is upright not just front-to-back but also side-to-side. 

Ya, I'll keep after it.  My hope is that I get an even behaviour while turning left and right and not having to compensate differently for each type of turn.

Yea, the wheel NOT tilted to the sides while calibrating is supposedly what works.

I can only say how it was for me, I did a really crazy calibration (like 30% backwards pedal tilt) to see the method did actually calibrate (changed the pedal angle/what is considered neutral), then calibrated them when they were horizontally, and the curves tilt was gone. Didn't even care much about the side tilting, just held it approximately vertical sideways (all the time - not exactly sure when in the process the actual calibration happens).

You can try again and see what changes.

Worst case, return the wheel to the seller (if possible). The tilting is bad enough, but two different behaviors for each turning direction is crazy! Maybe this is caused by having the wheel twisted somehow during the calibration process?

14 minutes ago, Hoser said:

Ya, I'll keep after it.  My hope is that I get an even behaviour while turning left and right and not having to compensate differently for each type of turn.

I had exactly the same situation with my IPS and I was able to fix it. Don't give up. 

Are you sure you did the calibration right (wheel NOT tilted to the sides all the time)? Did you do a crazy test calibration (steep pedal angle) to confirm your method works?

On 1.8.2017 at 5:05 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Yea, the wheel NOT tilted to the sides while calibrating is supposedly what works.

Worst case, return the wheel to the seller (if possible).

• 3 weeks later...

Something to check which I have just noticed not too long ago.  In your Gotway app I believe there is a non obvious bug with the hardness settings.  Even if you have selected sports mode and the EU beeps to say that sports mode is active and it shows sports mode on your app, in fact has not change to sports mode.

Only thing I can suggest is to switch back and forth with the other settings and ride to see if the dip is still there.  Also try different ways to exit from the app too once sports mode is active.

For example when you have selected sports mode:

• Exit app by logging out.
  • Exit app by closing it on your app list.
  • Disconnect your Bluetooth.
  • Switch off your EU.

Archived