London EU store and London tolerance towards EUs

Spinner

Hey everyone,

Will be in London for 4 months starting March 11, will be staying by Red Lion Square and thinking of buying a brand new V8 and selling it before I go back to Canada. I'd like to try it before I buy it, though. Any EU stores in London where you can try inMotion AND Kingsong?

Also, what's your experience riding them in London? Are you bothered by cops? If yes, is it only when you're on the sidewalk? In Paris the cops don't care if you're on the sidewalk it's really great.

Thanks!

Frederic

Hi, There are several EUC sellers in London including WheelGo and Project42 - both of who sell Inmotion products. You may be able to contact them to arrange a test ride.

In the UK, EUCs are currently illegal to ride on either the road or the pavement but there have only been a few reports of this being enforced. I think most of us on this site are envious of the situation in Paris where large groups of riders can freely meet up and ride. Zombie phone walkers & Tourists fill the pavements in central London which may make any progress frustrating, although there are a few EUC commuters out and about in central London.

There's plenty of large parks in London where you can enjoy riding and the path along the Thames makes for a lovely early morning weekend ride.

Enjoy your time in our beautiful city! :facepalm:

Hi Jonathan,

You say it's illegal in the UK, is this situation confirmed as fact do you know?

I thought we were still effectively in a grey area.  I know the highways act was mentioned as being the factor when the hover board craze kicked off but the section they were referring to just spoke about not causing a nuisance by riding on a path and used examples such as cattle, oxe and mule etc as the document is so old.

Thanks

Andy.

On 01/03/2017 at 0:34 PM, Spinner said:

Hey everyone,

Will be in London for 4 months starting March 11, will be staying by Red Lion Square and thinking of buying a brand new V8 and selling it before I go back to Canada. I'd like to try it before I buy it, though. Any EU stores in London where you can try inMotion AND Kingsong?

Also, what's your experience riding them in London? Are you bothered by cops? If yes, is it only when you're on the sidewalk? In Paris the cops don't care if you're on the sidewalk it's really great.

Thanks!

Frederic

It really depends on the policeman. Most are fine, but occasionally you get some asshole on a power trip. There isn't any legislation on them technically, (yet).

Contact Jason at Wheelgo. Not Project42. He's based in Miami mostly these days but he has a premises in London and he can probably arrange for his London colleague Stefan to give you a test drive on the V8. He let me have one on the v5f+ before I purchased it.

Gimme a buzz when you get here, we'll go for a ride in the park some time ?

Ive not ridden in central London but have done so in the suburbs, never had a problem with the police as yet wherever I have ridden (crosses fingers)... I would imagine riding down Regent Street would be a misery, but Hyde Park would be nice. Now each street junction has a dropped kerb getting about on pavements is easy enough although not all have a convenient sign pole to hang onto as you wait to cross. Ive often thought about a ride along the embankment but never got there yet. 

I do know someone who purchased a V8 and had a much better experience with Project 42 than Wheelgo though...just saying :) 

23 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

<snip>

Zombie phone walkers ...

<snip>

Best description yet :cheers:

On 05/03/2017 at 10:29 AM, APGSDL said:

Hi Jonathan,

You say it's illegal in the UK, is this situation confirmed as fact do you know?

I thought we were still effectively in a grey area.  I know the highways act was mentioned as being the factor when the hover board craze kicked off but the section they were referring to just spoke about not causing a nuisance by riding on a path and used examples such as cattle, oxe and mule etc as the document is so old.

Thanks

Andy.

Hi Andy, Please refer to the Crown Prosecution Service Legal guidance RE: Road Traffic Offences: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences/#dot

The law relating to the use on pavements is indeed the Highway Act from 1835. Under section 72 of the Highway Act 1835 (extends to England and Wales only) it is an offence to wilfully ride on the footway. Certain vehicles used by disabled drivers are exempted from these requirements but only where they use Class 2 or Class 3 invalid carriages. Self-balancing scooters are not classed as invalid carriages and so cannot be used on pavements. I know there are some other threads on this site where users have argued that the laws don't apply to EUCs - you are welcome to contact the relevant government departments yourself to seek clarification.

I haven't come across any cases where the application of the law(s) in relation to EUCs have been tested in a court of law (as has happened with the two wheeled Segways) and the only UK penalty I am aware of relates to an EUC rider in Wales getting points on their driving license, although the details surrounding the case were not clear.

I would love to see the laws updated as I believe that EUCs are a viable and useful form of transportation.

Thanks guys,

I have to admit it's not very encouraging but I think I'll buy one anyway.

@Paddylaz, I'll let you know when I've learned to handle the V8 well enough to be safe on it and we'll certainly go for a ride!

Cheers,

Spinner

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2017 at 8:24 PM, Spinner said:

Thanks guys,

I have to admit it's not very encouraging but I think I'll buy one anyway.

@Paddylaz, I'll let you know when I've learned to handle the V8 well enough to be safe on it and we'll certainly go for a ride!

Cheers,

Spinner

If you're still undecided, just stop by our place nearby Waterloo anytime during the weekdays. You can either message me here in the forum to arrange something, or hit us up at support@project42.com

We offer tryouts for V8, and also run trade-in scheme where you could potentially sell back the wheel which is in fairly good condition.

On 05/03/2017 at 5:49 PM, Paddylaz said:

Not Project42.

Remarkable effort :thumbup:

3 hours ago, vladmarks said:

If you're still undecided, just stop by our place nearby Waterloo anytime during the weekdays. You can either message me here in the forum to arrange something, or hit us up at support@project42.com

We offer tryouts for V8, and also run trade-in scheme where you could potentially sell back the wheel which is in fairly good condition.

Remarkable effort :thumbup:

Anything new on the Uniwheel?

Try not to be too loquacious, now.

Archived