BEST EUC for riding in the rain.

MagicCow

Hey guys.. I'm actually new to this whole EUC family, I am looking to buy an EU, but I really just need it for a daily commuter, but the more and more I researched it, the more I thought about getting more power, but the hike and lack of knowledge is causing me not to pull the trigger just yet. .. I learned and fell in love with EUs in general with the Ninebot E+, but I love the over all power and usage per charge you can get out of the ACM 16(but the price is kind of high for what I need it for, if the Ninebot can do the same job). Now my main issue, that I haven't really seen or been able to get research on my own. Is, riding in the raining!!!. How is the NineBot with that compared to the ACM 16 or other EUC devices?!?!

I would be using this mostly to commute to work, which is less than a mile away... I've seen the Ninebot C+ could be a viable option as well, but how is the Ninebot in wet weather or any EUC for that reason?? Now, I wont be riding in or through puddles, and since I live less that a mile away from my job. I would like something that could manage the elements, since in Arizona(USA) we get rain and heat waves in the(115 F. or 46 C.) range in the summer,  I really could use the help, thanks!

Hi,

From what I've heard, the inmotion V8 is a real IP55, and my friends who ride it everyday to work even with bad weather and snow, don't seem to have any issues. The V8 has more range (40-45km) and more speed (30kph) than the E+, it is well designed and really pretty, I'm not so sure about the resistance of the ACM, I've ridden it a little under rain but I don't trust it to be IP55.

I think it would suit your needs pretty well, it's one of the top "16" wheels out there at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi,

From what I've heard, the inmotion V8 is a real IP55, and my friends who ride it everyday to work even with bad weather and snow, don't seem to have any issues. The V8 has more range (40-45km) and more speed (30kph) than the E+, it is well designed and really pretty, I'm not so sure about the resistance of the ACM, I've ridden it a little under rain but I don't trust it to be IP55.

I think it would suit your needs pretty well, it's one of the top "16" wheels out there at the moment.

I've watch quiet a few vids, and seen on the EU guy on YouTube water proof his ACM 16" but, I never though about the USB port being another way for water as an entry access point. TBH are USB ports really a necessity for a EUC?

I've TBH never really looked into the IP55.. but I will do my research on it now. thanks!

The fact that one guy can ride in the water for a few seconds is something, but it doesn't meen that all the units are water resistant, I would say the ACM does resist to a little water or rain, but I wouldn't trust it, due to the way it is built, to resist a storm for example. IP55 pretty much gives you the assurance that it will be able to resist to all weather conditions.

About the USB port, it can be useful to charge your phone, I don't use it but it's not a weak point because unlike on the kingsong products, it is well protected, water can't penetrate inside if it's closed ;)

48 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

The fact that one guy can ride in the water for a few seconds is something, but it doesn't meen that all the units are water resistant, I would say the ACM does resist to a little water or rain, but I wouldn't trust it, due to the way it is built, to resist a storm for example. IP55 pretty much gives you the assurance that it will be able to resist to all weather conditions.

About the USB port, it can be useful to charge your phone, I don't use it but it's not a weak point because unlike on the kingsong products, it is well protected, water can't penetrate inside if it's closed ;)

I know nothing is 100% water resistant, but watch the vid, he replaced and then water proof and washes the shell(after crashing doing a top speed test on the ACM 16", he as able to get it to 45kmh(27mph), before EUC shutdown tossed him off. (youtube.com)/watch?v=Npx-0xm8pig, that is what pretty much sold me on the ACM it's just the price is hefty for a work commuter. IP55, is there any good test reviews on it, on youtube. I'm at work right now... Something similar to speedy feet or EU Guy, they provide really in-depth ride reviews, plus some nice break downs or how to guides.

@pingouin  what do you ride?

The problem is that waterproofing the shell might void your warranty, while the V8 is already water resistant from the begining, so is the Ninebot E+ and the gotway MCM2S which has proven to be reliable in the rain.

I ride the ACM & MCM4, I do know what the ACM is capable of, and not capable of, it is a great EUC but I don't think it's very water resistant without waterproofing it.

For commuting, what distance do you need to travel ? There are a few other options out there, the kingsongs for example. How much do you weight ? (it's important to determine what batteries you need)

PS: You seem to have never riden a EUC before, for a first EUC, the ACM is not recommended as a first wheel because it is very heavy (and so much harder to learn with) and fast (going above 25kph when learning is dangerous), I know that powerful EUC are attractive, but my recommendation is not to go with a fast wheel as your first EUC as it is in the beginning that most accidents occure but I understand why you would want a fast wheel (I had some hard time sticking for almost a year with a 22kph top speed), if so, you should absolutely limit your speed to no more than 15kph for a start, because you can imagine what could happen if you were to fall at +30kph speeds :/

Another option would be to have two EUC, a 200$ training EUC and an more powerful EUC for when you have mastered the basics, as your wheel will get scratched alot in the beginning.

I wonder if some plumber's putty (you know the kind that you use to seal drains when you install them in sinks) strategically placed along seams might help with weatherproofing.  The putty doesn't usually set, but it does get a little crusty over the years.  It does form a nice seal though plus you can remove it and clean it off if you ever need to.

I've ridden both my Airwheel X5 and Gotway MS3 in torrential rain and both have been fine every time.*

*Riding in rain not fun, even if machine is fine ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my 2 data points: (both EUCs are stock)

I rode my ACM under the rain several times, including a 3 mile trip under a rain storm with wind that challenged my balance when it hit sideways and wouldn't let me lean forward all the way when it hit straight on. There were tons of knocked-down tree branches and big water puddles. The ACM did well.

My Ninebot I rode for 2000 miles. Many times under heavy rain, on the beach, on puddles and even a 6-mile trip inside a storm drain tunnel. The only problem i had was at 1350 miles, but it was a battery problem, nothing to do with water.

I have at least 50 days in the rain with my Ninebot C and now my E+. Never an issue. Even 2-3 inch puddles do nothing (other than hide the jolting potholes). I don't count drizzle or the occasional moderate rain that lasts a few minutes as "rain", I'm talking rain that makes it hard to see through my machinists flip shield down and slows the Interstate freeway above me to 30mph.

Water related damage (fortunately) seems to be a rarity. Using the data from the +2000 Wheels I've sold, there were only five reported cases of rain related damage, two of these were with early King Song 14Cs. However, most people probably don't use their Wheels in heavy rain. 

The biggest risk of regularly ridding in the rain is that water/moisture will find its way into the hub motor, oxidizing/corroding wires, magnets, & the steel stator cores. 

@MagicCow Any EUC for the most part will be fine in rain. 

Puddles are a different issue. 

I wouldn't advise riding in water that rises past your exposed bottom tire / EUC pedal height, if not, avoid it altogether (wire/part corrosion, water ingress, etc.)

Also of note, specifically for the MSuper3 (not sure of other Gotways), the inner shell closest to the tire/motor has a big cutout (top right) where the control board's heat sink sits, so things are less water-tight than other EUCs (this allows for better cooling, at the sacrifice of water ingress). 

If you do need to ride through puddles, obviously, the bigger the tire (higher), the better.

What most don't consider in rain: Watch out for top-facing, exposed mechanical power buttons. This includes:

• Gotway MCM4 series, Gotway MSuperV3 series, Gotway Monster, 16" Ninebot One series, KingSong KS-14 series, KingSong KS-16 series

.... but this is easily safe-guardable by covering the power button with something water resistant.

I've ridden my Ninebot E+ in strong rain several times - no issues. But get some griptape for the footplates! You don't need to cover all the plates, just the parts on the edges of the plates. This will save your ride a lot! 

I've ridden my Inmotion V3S through plenty of really hard storms within the last 9 months of owning it and no troubles whatsoever,not even the touchpanel has any problems in heavy rain. It is definitely water resistant. Basically as long as water isn't very deep,like 12 inches deep,which is enough to reach the battery I think,then its fine.

As far as I remember, only ninebot and inmotion certify their euc for dust and water resistance (ipXX). 

I certainly appreciate the effort, and have been ridding my v5+ & v8 in hard rain, snow and puddles carelessly. 

I even shower them from time to time to clean them up. 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Pingouin said:

Okay, I would like to thank everyone for their advise and  to everyone who I had private messages with while I was deciding my first purchase of an EUC product...

First, I would like to thank, @Clovis thanks again for the great machine, extra goodies, and daily advise when I still reach out to you.. can't wait to setup a ride with you.

Second, to @Radislav, Man you taught me so much, in SO little time. I really can't thank you enough. @Tishawn Fahie, for providing me with much needed insight and made me feel comfortable with any purchase I made when I started having doubts.  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, @Marty Backe, @Planetpapi, @Pingouin,  and everyone who I missed.. Thank you!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know I did purchase my first EUC... Ninebot E+ from @Clovis, Last Saturday, I mean the guy is aswome, even brought it to my job and answered all my question plus more....

50 minutes ago, MagicCow said:

First, I would like to thank, @Clovis thanks again for the great machine, extra goodies, and daily advise when I still reach out to you.. can't wait to setup a ride with you.

You're very welcome!  I'm glad you're enjoying the Ninebot One E+.  This forum is awesome for getting advice and information.  Keep practicing and keep us updated on your progress!  You'll be riding your EUC from home to work in no time. 

7 hours ago, Clovis said:

You're very welcome!  I'm glad you're enjoying the Ninebot One E+.  This forum is awesome for getting advice and information.  Keep practicing and keep us updated on your progress!  You'll be riding your EUC from home to work in no time. 

Yea, I got the hang of it.. already riding it to work and home today.... I do have a question.. Today the pads were moving and tilting back when I was going up and down the hill. to the point where I almost fell off the wheel.. how do you disable that feature?

@MagicCow congrats on your launch! You made a good choice. To your original question, I have ridden the LHOTZ and MSuper2 in the rain, but I don't like it! When it is clear on the way to work and raining on the way home, there's no choice!

The EUs don't seem to mind the rain at all, but once home I try to clean out the wheel well, more to get the mud out than anything else.

On my LHOTZ I frequently see water in the transparent red light lenses after a wet run, but it dries up quickly and nothing has stopped functioning.

I haven't ridden a Ninebot, but from my experience it takes time to get used to when a particular EU wants to tilt back and how vigorously, I'm pretty sure yours has App-adjustable tiltback, and I'm always more comfortable with the stiffer "sport" (on the GotWay it's called "Madden" ) mode because it feels stiffer.

However, I couldn't tell you if the EU behavior was in some way erroneous since I am not familiar with the feel of your model.

good luck and wear protection, any ride can end in a spill! hands and head at a minimum.

On 3/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, MagicCow said:

Yea, I got the hang of it.. already riding it to work and home today.... I do have a question.. Today the pads were moving and tilting back when I was going up and down the hill. to the point where I almost fell off the wheel.. how do you disable that feature?

If you mean the pedals were tilting back, the Ninebot One E+ should start beeping and tilt back occurs ~ 13-14 mph.  The first time feeling tilt back can be very surprising.   There is no way (that I know) of disabling it.  During straight parts of your ride, it is very easy to reach 14 mph.  The only solution is to be aware of when this happens and slow down when you start hearing beeps, before the tilt back kicks in.

The tiltback is the last warning before the wheel can no longer keep you upright and your face (or back of your head if you fall backwards) gets intimate with the ground. Even if you could, it should not be disabled, it's a basic safety feature.

So if you were at max speed/max motor power when it occurred, that's how it's supposed to be.

Let's see how long until you want a faster wheel;)

Archived