Riding in the rain to work

MagicCow

Hey guys.. I'm actually new to this whole EUC family(first post), I am looking to buy an EU, but I really need it for a daily commuter. I learned and fell in love with EUs in general with the Ninebot E+, but I love the over all power and usage per charge you can get out of the ACM 16(but the price is kind of high for what I need it for, if the Ninebot can do the same job). Now my main issue, that I haven't really seen or been able to get research on, is riding in the raining.. How is the NineBot with that compared to the ACM 16??

I would be using this mostly to commute to work, which is less than a mile away... I've seen the Ninebot C+ could be a viable option as well, but how is the Ninebot in wet weather?? Now, I wont be riding in or through puddles, and since I live less that a mile away. I would like something that could manage the elements, since in Arizona(USA) we get rain and heat waves in the 115 F. or 46 C. range in the summer,  I really could use the help, thanks!

Ninebot One is waterproof more than other wheels, imo. The cushions seal the battery and controller board very well from the water outside. But from the inside it is worse. There are few holes under the cushions that lead directly to the wheel compartment - the water and dirt come in through them. If you spend an hour to seal those holes with tape and/or thermo-glue and check if the heatsink is glued well - then your Ninebot One will be rain proof. In heavy rains I wear a big plastic bag on it to be 100% sure.

PS: In addition, it's a good idea to remove a few sharp edges on the inner side of the cushions, otherwise they will puncture the battery and cause fire eventually. After this procedure you have to prevent the battery from moving around too much under the cushion.

40 minutes ago, Radislav said:

Ninebot One is waterproof more than other wheels, imo. The cushions seal the battery and controller board very well from the water outside. But from the inside it is worse. There are few holes under the cushions that lead directly to the wheel compartment - the water and dirt come in through them. If you spend an hour to seal those holes with tape and/or thermo-glue and check if the heatsink is glued well - then your Ninebot One will be rain proof. In heavy rains I wear a big plastic bag on it to be 100% sure.

PS: In addition, it's a good idea to remove a few sharp edges on the inner side of the cushions, otherwise they will puncture the battery and cause fire eventually. After this procedure you have to prevent the battery from moving around too much under the cushion.

sharp edges? are these a build flaw or from the actual screws?

I believe they are just small plastic struts/braces/fins that help offer structural support to the shell?  I placed my battery inside a foam bag that cushions vibrations so I didn't need to trim away any plastic.  The battery is loose inside so it can move a little bit resulting in wear through the shrink wrap.  Overall the Ninebot is a good reliable wheel, but after a while you'll drool over the range and speed of other wheels so it will be upgrade time.  You might think naw one wheel is plenty good, but just you see.  Look at @Marty Backe and @Duf and @Rehab1 and @houseofjob... they all have a nice collection of wheels... and growing... :popcorn: 

I think @Tishawn Fahie has ridden his ACM in a lot of bad New York weather. He may be able to chime in on how well the ACM handles moisture. Your original posting is a little confusing in that it's not clear whether you learned on a Ninebot and now am considering upgrading, or you don't have any wheels yet.

I learned on an ACM so it's certainly a wheel that you can begin with. But it you really only care about commuting for ~1 mile the Ninebot is probably the better choice. In my opinion the ACM is more of an enthusiast wheel. But then again, like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love says, it's very tempting to start collecting more and more powerful wheels. And if that's the case, why not start with one of the most powerful wheels to be had? 

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I believe they are just small plastic struts/braces/fins that help offer structural support to the shell?  I placed my battery inside a foam bag so that cushions vibrations so I didn't need to trim away any plastic.  The battery is loose inside so it can move a little bit resulting in wear through the shrink wrap.  Overall the Ninebot is a good reliable wheel, but after a while you'll drool over the range and speed of other wheels so it will be upgrade time.  You might think naw one wheel is plenty good, but just you see.  Look at @Marty Backe and @Duf and @Rehab1 and @houseofjob... they all have a nice collection of wheels... and growing... :popcorn: 

Ah okay. I understand what you mean.. In most reviews, it seems like you should go back and reinforce, some wires or batteries that can shuffle or move while riding.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think @Tishawn Fahie has ridden his ACM in a lot of bad New York weather. He may be able to chime in on how well the ACM handles moisture. Your original posting is a little confusing in that it's not clear whether you learned on a Ninebot and now am considering upgrading, or you don't have any wheels yet.

I learned on an ACM so it's certainly a wheel that you can begin with. But it you really only care about commuting for ~1 mile the Ninebot is probably the better choice. In my opinion the ACM is more of an enthusiast wheel. But then again, like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love says, it's very tempting to start collecting more and more powerful wheels. And if that's the case, why not start with one of the most powerful wheels to be had? 

I will try and connect with @Tishawn Fahie to ask him some direct questions, @Marty Backe Ah, I see what you mean about confusing lemme clarify a little bit more. No, I have not ridden an EUC at all, I learned about them through Youtube, I actually seen one of your rides about through LA on your Gotway, and that peaked my interest in the ACM, and how I found the EU GUY and Speedy Feet reviews... but now I've been hearing about this IP55 unit...

@MagicCow hey man - as for the ACM... yes I've rode it into nasty weather and came out unscathered, this would include heavy rain..... snow (though I wouldn't recommend without changing the tire) all types of terrain etc.... I actually just recently opened my ACM to change the tube....No signed of liquid  entering at all. I would say its a pretty sealed wheel.  But Like @Marty Backe said if your commute is a mile or a bit over the Ninebot E+ is great for you. I believe you can get one for about $400 now and days, I also recommend you get a trolley incase you would like to wheel it into stores...

Like you and I'm pretty sure majority of us here, did start on a Ninebot. It didn't take long to realize that the competition has caught up. However I was a sworn dedicated fan up until they released a firmware that caused me to crash and burn..  Without warning of any kind no overlean the wheel shuts off and tosses me like a piece of stone. Now there's no such thing as a foolproof wheel so I waited to see how Ninebot would respond. Well they pretty much didn't so I started to look elsewhere ...etc... I think as of now the Ninebot wheels are working fine so you should be ok.

Again like @Marty Backe stated there are much better wheels out there, more power, increased speed, built in trolleys and headlights etc.... Like cars they all do the same thing and in most situations majority of them is water resistant.....water proof is a different ball game.. @Radislav I wouldn't say Ninebots are more waterproof than other wheels... drop any wheel into a lake and get it back...... good luck turning it back on. 

@MagicCow welcome to the world of EU's like you I did my research on Youtube... What made look though was a guy that nearly knocked me over in the street on one haha!!!

20 hours ago, MagicCow said:

I would be using this mostly to commute to work, which is less than a mile away... I've seen the Ninebot C+ could be a viable option as well, but how is the Ninebot in wet weather?? Now, I wont be riding in or through puddles, and since I live less that a mile away. I would like something that could manage the elements, since in Arizona(USA) we get rain and heat waves in the 115 F. or 46 C. range in the summer,  I really could use the help, thanks!

Hey @MagicCow, I don't know which part of AZ you live in, but I also live in AZ.  I recently upgraded my EUC to Kingsong KS18, coming from Ninebot One E+.  The Ninebot One E+ is the perfect wheel for a one mile commute.  It is very reliable and a great wheel to learn on.  Like yourself, I stumbled on the whole EUC world on Youtube and needed to have one.  If you're interested in a used Ninebot One E+, I would sell you mine for $400.  It has ~300 miles on it.  I have replaced the original outer ring with the blue translucent outer ring.  It has a trolley handle installed and a set of training wheels (which I used once).  I also replaced the original gray pads with black Ninebot One P pads.  I still have all the original parts, box, and packaging.  Let me know if you're interested and I can post pics.

I second getting a used Ninebot . IMHO,there is no reason to get a greatest and latest for just a mile commute. But for recreation it's a different story altogether. I would save money now, get experience, get to know all the other wheels's pros and cons, buy a suitable one later, still keep the Ninebot for other family members. My 2 cents.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:26 PM, Tishawn Fahie said:

@Radislav I wouldn't say Ninebots are more waterproof than other wheels... drop any wheel into a lake and get it back...... good luck turning it back on.

No thanks, I'll better jump there myself :) But...

I dropped my Ninebot One in a deep puddle once. I slipped under the pouring rain. The Ninebot was half sunk, with its right side left dry. I opened the controller compartment in a minute. Not even a sign of water inside!  

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Bloody hell! What was that noise? Was there a train pulling out of the station as you rode by? ?

Are those shoes Converse All Stars?  Hard to find now.  I imagine the flat soles are great for EUC riding.

11 hours ago, steve454 said:

Are those shoes Converse All Stars?  Hard to find now.  I imagine the flat soles are great for EUC riding.

Yep, limited edition with zipper. Very comfortably.

12 hours ago, Smoother said:

Bloody hell! What was that noise? Was there a train pulling out of the station as you rode by? ?

No, this my geared Ninebot:D

On 3/1/2017 at 9:09 AM, Clovis said:

Hey @MagicCow, I don't know which part of AZ you live in, but I also live in AZ.  I recently upgraded my EUC to Kingsong KS18, coming from Ninebot One E+.  The Ninebot One E+ is the perfect wheel for a one mile commute.  It is very reliable and a great wheel to learn on.  Like yourself, I stumbled on the whole EUC world on Youtube and needed to have one.  If you're interested in a used Ninebot One E+, I would sell you mine for $400.  It has ~300 miles on it.  I have replaced the original outer ring with the blue translucent outer ring.  It has a trolley handle installed and a set of training wheels (which I used once).  I also replaced the original gray pads with black Ninebot One P pads.  I still have all the original parts, box, and packaging.  Let me know if you're interested and I can post pics.

Sorry I have been able to respond got really busy... Would you be able to meet up today? @Clovis

On 3/4/2017 at 4:10 AM, Ilya Shkolnik said:

Great reflection off the road in the movie.

Temps around Boston have gone back from 60's F to 12 F over the last few days. Went out tonight on the EUC. Few cars, no hassles, went about 7 miles for 11battery-charge miles. I've been rain soaked on occasion. Prefer to stay dry when riding but the Ninebot doesn't seem to mind the rain in moderate amounts.

I found a Google Street view of a building you can see from the Cam atop Moscow State University.

I sort of miss the range my Chevy (car) took me in 2004 (Thermopolis, Wyoming).

Screenshot_2017-03-05-23-42-28.png

IMAGE35.JPG

The water proofness of the wheels has been debated before. I've ridden a Firewheel in rain, and that has to be among the most shoddily water-proofed wheels out there, and still claiming IP65, like every other wheel out there (at least about a year or two ago) :P... luckily never fried anything. Usually the battery packs seem to be wrapped up tight enough to prevent water from entering (well, as long as you don't actually submerge the wheel), but the mainboard may not be coated, in which case there's a real risk of it frying with water getting into wrong places.

Haven't checked if the wheels still claim the IP65-rating, but probably no wheel could actually stand up to the IP65-requirements, if really tested. Still, I don't remember hearing of wheels breaking down in rain (submerging them is a whole another issue), it's just that the IP-protection level is vastly overestimated (I doubt they actually test them against the standard) compared to what it is in reality. But who really cares what the number is, as long as it works, right? ;) 

IP65 based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code:

First digit: Solid particle protection

6 Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.

Second digit: Liquid ingress protection

5 Water jets Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 3 minutes

Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m

Usually the most common problem regarding water/moisture/rain has been moisture getting into the power button, causing it to short. In most cases most wheels won't turn off, so it won't cut the power, but actually keeps it turned on (the power button is actually a signal switch for the mainboard, if the actual motor current ran through it, the button would melt :P). Typically the problem has went away after the moisture has evaporated, but there is a small risk of over-discharging the battery if it's already low and the wheel stays on for hours/days.

3 hours ago, esaj said:

The water proofness of the wheels has been debated before. I've ridden a Firewheel in rain, and that has to be among the most shoddily water-proofed wheels out there, and still claiming IP65, like every other wheel out there (at least about a year or two ago) :P... luckily never fried anything. Usually the battery packs seem to be wrapped up tight enough to prevent water from entering (well, as long as you don't actually submerge the wheel), but the mainboard may not be coated, in which case there's a real risk of it frying with water getting into wrong places.

Haven't checked if the wheels still claim the IP65-rating, but probably no wheel could actually stand up to the IP65-requirements, if really tested. Still, I don't remember hearing of wheels breaking down in rain (submerging them is a whole another issue), it's just that the IP-protection level is vastly overestimated (I doubt they actually test them against the standard) compared to what it is in reality. But who really cares what the number is, as long as it works, right? ;) 

IP65 based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code:

First digit: Solid particle protection

6 Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.

Second digit: Liquid ingress protection

5 Water jets Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 3 minutes

Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m

Usually the most common problem regarding water/moisture/rain has been moisture getting into the power button, causing it to short. In most cases most wheels won't turn off, so it won't cut the power, but actually keeps it turned on (the power button is actually a signal switch for the mainboard, if the actual motor current ran through it, the button would melt :P). Typically the problem has went away after the moisture has evaporated, but there is a small risk of over-discharging the battery if it's already low and the wheel stays on for hours/days.

As always you always come back with facts!!! Thank you very much.. I've actually learned something new from this !!

Okay, I would like to thank everyone for their advise and  to everyone who I had private messages with while I was deciding my first purchase of an EUC product...

First, I would like to thank, @Clovis thanks again for the great machine, extra goodies, and daily advise when I still reach out to you.. can't wait to setup a ride with you.

Second, to @Radislav, Man you taught me so much, in SO little time. I really can't thank you enough. @Tishawn Fahie, for providing me with much needed insight and made me feel comfortable with any purchase I made when I started having doubts.  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, @Marty Backe, @Planetpapi and everyone who I missed.. Thank you!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know I did purchase my first EUC... Ninebot E+ from @Clovis, Last Saturday, I mean the guy is aswome, even brought it to my job and answered all my question plus more....

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived