How are you mounting headlights?

flvraptor

6 hours ago, Boneyfreak said:

Static headlights are terrible for bots and bicycles unless you mount some ridiculous 1 million candle power monstrosity. Most all US States it's "..visible from 300ft...", well a single candle can be seen at 300FT. Cars/Trucks coming from the sides at 90 Deg and more importantly odd angles like Y's and 5/6 ways can easily not see you. I just make sure I put a flash of 400-1000 lumens in their faces for a second using my headlamp to make them aware.

@Boneyfreak Good point on the visibility from different angles.  I have tried to solve this using DOT reflective tape.  By putting along the seams it also acts as a sealer providing a modicum of water proofing.  I even have some along the top just in case my Monster spins away on its own on a dark road.  I would hate to see the damage to both the car and the Monster if they ran into one another while I was in a ditch:-) The DOT reflective tape is very effective at reflecting back light.

IMG_0885.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd just use my smartphone flashlight at that point lol Or could also buy one of these light hats:

https://www.amazon.com/OUTERDO-Headlight-Flashlight-Waterproof-Rechargeable/dp/B019JZAWW2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1489465733&sr=8-16&keywords=Hat+LED

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Light-Camo-Powercap-Lights-Hands-Free/dp/B01MCUU3L5/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489465733&sr=8-7&keywords=Hat+LED

Wearing gloves with LED lights on them sounds like a good idea too.

Well, I think we're talking about 2 different things.  Seeing the road, and being seen.  A mounted lamp is probably good for seeing the road, but not so good for being seen.

I mentioned I use a hand held flashlight.  That's mostly for seeing the road, but I also like that I can wave it toward a car and be sure they see me.

But for being seen, I use these:  http://a.co/bYOqTUQ

I use 2.  One, I wrap around my backpack, which provides good visibility from the rear.  The other, I have permanently wrapped around the front of my helmet - and I set it to flashing.  This provides attention-getting visibility from the front and sides (especially if I turn my head).

I don't believe that the LEDs on most wheels are effective enough for being seen.  They're not visible from all angles, and the wheel itself is too low - not in direct line of sight.

Let's face it, the last thing a driver expects to see flying across the crosswalk is an electric unicycle.  Cars are watching for other cars (and sometimes pedestrians).  It's on us to make an effort to be seen.  After all, it doesn't matter who's fault it is when you're the one in the hospital (or worse).

True JimB had at least three incidents where cars at cross walk turned into me. Poorly lit intersections and at night.

My EUC had its headlights on and I had my hand held flashlight but pointed at the ground.

The lesson learned was that keeping a strobe is helpful for being seen. I notice this with bikes whose lights are in this mode.

With a hand held, the high angle and ability to sweep, makes it easier to path around broken glass; even in strobe mode. But yeah it works if you remember to bring one or don't lose it. Something to be had for built in light.

From the other French thread, in a bad situation you have something maybe to temporarily blind an attacker for escape. At worse have an immediate weapon in hand.

On 2.3.2017 at 0:14 AM, abinder3 said:

The group "KingSong Thailand" sometimes hang the high intensity flashlights from their waist and it appears very effective.

Allen

nope! That are no flashlights in a usual way....that are a kind of special flashing "bands", which shiine to the side AND to the bottom...also they are all using normally flashlights for lighting the way.

i have meet them all last year in May, bought a brandnew Ks16 680wh from them (800 bucks in asia btw)....and drove about 3 hours with them  throughBangkok.

my 8th year in BKK, but never seen that much before!! they are the nicest and friendliest rider group i know, and i truly hope to see them this May again (and rent a KS16S this time :-) )

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

nope! That are no flashlights in a usual way....that are a kind of special flashing "bands", which shiine to the side AND to the bottom...also they are all using normally flashlights for lighting the way.

i have meet them all last year in May, bought a brandnew Ks16 680wh from them (800 bucks in asia btw)....and drove about 3 hours with them  throughBangkok.

my 8th year in BKK, but never seen that much before!! they are the nicest and friendliest rider group i know, and i truly hope to see them this May again (and rent a KS16S this time :-) )

Have you seen anyplace where the "special flashing bands" can purchased?

Allen

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Have you seen anyplace where the "special flashing bands" can purchased?

Allen

As i am in contact with them, i asked them...will call you back then!

On 3/14/2017 at 1:35 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I was also thinking about getting a pair.  However, it appears a lot of them have problems with the LEDs either not working for very long or one LED not working.  Also, some of the reviewers state that they have problems with the charging cords built into the shoes breaking off.

However, the Eslla brand seems to get pretty good reviews on Amazon (but can you trust reviews).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4BK554/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HIKZVM70XNKG&coliid=IHEMD5DTOD8N1

Allen

I think the shoes wouldn't experience too much wear and tear since we'd be riding our wheels mostly so hopefully the odds of having them last is greater from a statistical standpoint.  For the price they are almost disposable though.  I haven't been having much luck from AliEx lately so I might pass for now... although I think I'd look pretty hot in a one piece body suit with a matching light up hoola hoop.  :whistling:

On 3/16/2017 at 10:07 AM, Han said:

Has anyone used this reflective tape before? They sell them in larger widths and various colors www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y7IJZA/

I have these in the 1 inch version and in blue. Cheap, reflects well, and great for sticking to your hairy chest, ripping it off, and leaving little spots of blood where your hair used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Headlamp. I do turn on the the ACM's headlight, which is really only useful to be seen, but not to see where you're going. The headlight is great because you can aim it to where  you want, and the angle is higher, so you can aim it down to see the road without blinding people or cars in front of you.

However, if I didn't care about blinding people and I could mount this on my EUC... 

My latest Light mounting method is a taped velcro patch on the front upside of the wheel...and the light itself also velcro!

After some different methods, this for me is the best...best place...got some play, so that it can not brake...easy to dismount:

sGCnNDz.jpg

sits a bit awkward on this photo...better is here:

jXNV1Gf.jpg

47 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

However, if I didn't care about blinding people and I could mount this on my EUC... 

<video>

JbmvaZ1.png

:whistling:

I'm slightly worried how well I can cool these at around 30V / 3.5A though... :P

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Small heat sink and fan combo should do the trick. :smartass:

alpenfoehn_olymp.jpg

Come to think of it, the TDP of older CPUs (around the turn of the millenia) was about the same as single of those leds (100W), and they were fitted typically with a rather large heatsink and a fan. Not sure how easy that's to mount into either a handheld flashlight or a wheel though :P  But two of those in series can use the power of a 16S pack pretty well... ;)

I originally ordered those LEDs (as wells as the 10, 20, 30 and 50W version) after reading this thread:  

• 4 months later...

I mounted this light on my GT16, it's fabulous in that I turn it on and off while riding. Sometimes is best at night to actually have it off if there are too many pedestrians around, as it's bright.

IMG_1235.JPG

I will glue a gopro mount to the handle of the V8, and I have ordered this:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01H06TXFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my rear light:

muKiMnDl-v2K0gApztdTqKA.jpg

I removed the rubber and there is a clip attached to the light. I just attached it to my Inmotion cover at the back (still running the euc with the cover on).

Archived