Monster handle extension suggests?

So I just tried out my new Monster for an errand ride.  Riding is awesome and comfortable. However once I get to the store I find that the handle is just a little low.  As the unit weight is around 70 lbs I can't really carry it like Ninebot one.  Consequently, I end up hunched over to one side, which is doable, but looks and feels silly. I am thinking of finding an old suitcase and repurposing the handle by attaching to the top of the Monster handle to give me that extra few inches.  I tried using a strap extension but this didn't give me very good control of the Monster.  As I have the 2400 Wh model I just leave it on and walk it like a moderately recalcitrant dog.

I think that the Monster is a pretty good looking design so whatever I do I don't want to take away to much from the asthetic. Also, the Monster is large so an modifications that I make should not present a danger to my middle lower extremities during normal operations or in the event of a crash. 

Does anyone have any creative suggestions?

So in digging around the house I found a handle that seems to work.  It is from an old exercise piece of equipment.  The cloth handle has a buckle at the one end that attaches to a couple of wraps of cloth strap.  As the handle is cloth and padded it should not present any safety issues.  The assembly is strong enough to lift the Monster and doesn't interfere with the builtin handle.  It is also long enough that I can walk the Monster while standing up right and short enough that it doesn't come close to the wheel openings.  When the Monster is on it is easy to steer with a little pressure from the side of my leg (a little practice and I could do figure 8's pretty easy).  I tried a few laps around the inside of our house as an obstacle/maneuver test and so far no problems.  I suspect I will still need to use the Monster's handle for going up and down stairs but this will make errand runs to the grocery store easier.

Morale of the story:  There is value in repurposing junk that you find in your house.

IMG_0860.jpg

I've got nothing for you. But I can't imagine taking my Monster into a store. Even my MSuper feels a little on the large size as I'm navigating the grocery store isles. The smaller wheels are the best for navigating interior spaces, imho.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've got nothing for you. But I can't imagine taking my Monster into a store. Even my MSuper feels a little on the large size as I'm navigating the grocery store isles. The smaller wheels are the best for navigating interior spaces, imho.

@Marty Backe no problem.  This seems to work well enough for now.  I am going to be commuting with the Monster for the next couple of weeks if the snow is not to deep and if I run into any problems I will post.  I totally agree that the smaller wheels are much better for short errand runs.  I still use the Ninebot E+ for just that type of event.  However, I so much prefer to ride the Monster and if I walk it when it is turned on (another use for the large battery:-) it follows along like an obedient puppy.  However, like a puppy it does seem to want to stray once in a while if it sees something interesting:-)  At least it hasn't piddled on the floor to often.

After re-reading this I think I might be getting too fond of the Monster.  Oh well I'm of to tuck it to bed.

On 25.2.2017 at 0:55 PM, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Consequently, I end up hunched over to one side, which is doable, but looks and feels silly. I am thinking of finding an old suitcase and repurposing the handle by attaching to the top of the Monster handle to give me that extra few inches.  I tried using a strap extension but this didn't give me very good control of the Monster.

Also, the Monster is large so an modifications that I make should not present a danger to my middle lower extremities during normal operations or in the event of a crash. 

21 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

So in digging around the house I found a handle that seems to work.  It is from an old exercise piece of equipment... When the Monster is on it is easy to steer with a little pressure from the side of my leg (a little practice and I could do figure 8's pretty easy).  I tried a few laps around the inside of our house as an obstacle/maneuver test and so far no problems.  I suspect I will still need to use the Monster's handle for going up and down stairs but this will make errand runs to the grocery store easier.

Morale of the story:  There is value in repurposing junk that you find in your house.

16 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

After re-reading this I think I might be getting too fond of the Monster.  Oh well I'm of to tuck it to bed.

Taken out of context, this seems like an X-rated story ;)

How about a bike handle bar accessory bar?

Just try putting it into a Google search and you'll see several designs but something like this might give you the little bit of extra height you need.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Bar-X-Tender_4995.htm?sku=47317&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBZE49-qW8b08LOEZam8CzJAeSKWU_CjgVfnjtDjCVHBoCjdTw_wcB

10 hours ago, Gimlet said:

How about a bike handle bar accessory bar?

Just try putting it into a Google search and you'll see several designs but something like this might give you the little bit of extra height you need.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Bar-X-Tender_4995.htm?sku=47317&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBZE49-qW8b08LOEZam8CzJAeSKWU_CjgVfnjtDjCVHBoCjdTw_wcB

@Gimlet  thank you.  I just ordered something similar from amazon.  If it works I will post a pic 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, monowheels.be said:

@Merrittous MonoWheel What did you buy and did it work out?

After the above I tried using a handle off an old suitcase for a while and then a modified bike accessory but I ended up buying the seat option made for the Monster.  As the Monster has such a large battery I leave it on and the seat gives it just enough height that it is reasonable comfortable to push around stores.  With some practice I can even balance a couple of cases of beer on it:-) If I need to go up a set of stairs I quickly pull the seat and use forward force on the handle let the Monster roll itself up.  If you pull on the front of the handle when the tire is against the edge of a stair it is pretty easy to get up a few flights.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a modified V5F handle...and Yip, i think it could be used on the Monster!

I don't have this handle in use any more...if anyone is interested and willing to pay postal and package....PM!

I am a solution for you all here.. the Airwheel MarsRover handle fit pecfectly at its nose. I use it to wheel around the supermarket and shopping mall without any real issue! The 1600wh is best doing this trick due to its neutral balance of only front and back 800wh battery. The 2400wh with an additional battery to the back at both sides make the rear heavy.

IMG_2248.JPG

On 4/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, GK FlyingRat said:

the Airwheel MarsRover handle fit pecfectly at its nose

Hi ! I am wondering if it would fit on an ACM. How did you fix it ? Drilling holes in the shell of the monster ?

• 3 months later...

Archived