Somebody stop me! Crazy car purchase...

5 hours ago, litewave said:

He looks like a very successful young man in the making, and seems to have great family guidance, so I bet he will will exceed expectations. :)

Thanks! He is a straight A student that participates in hockey and soccer. He is a little gentleman! My son would have been so proud of him!

i bought a rx-7 first year out, fall of 78. tiny rotary engine, 100 hp that could propel my little 2300 pound car about 125 mph and feel like it wason rails, about ready to take off. idk about later versions but great car for me. kept it 3 years, 50,000 miles, only changed an easy plug and play fuel pump for fifteen dollars, and change the oil, new tires too. back then, they told you to do it, check the oil everytime you fill up. they burn oil by design. paid 9300 sold it for 7000. the good old days. mine was bright yellow, not quite as ugly as this one. IMG_0027.JPG.b161fac09314483d58f28735bd2a30d1.JPG

On 2/26/2017 at 8:18 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ahhhhh maybe my wallet is safe.  The RX8 definitely is not a low end torque drag strip car, but I hear it is quite fun in the twisties.  When I drove it I found that it did have some grunt from the get go.  I also drove an Infiniti G37S which was nice.

One of my cars is supercharged so I do know how 20 mpg feels like in the wallet, but it's fun to drive it.  This RX8 rotary engine is a gas guzzler for sure and not so environmentally friendly.  The chance of engine failure is also possibly high if a number of things go wrong....

Man for me the RX-8 was such a disappointing follow up to the RX-7.  Man that was a sexy car and you could make them fly.  You still can't find one at a decent price as they are both desired for collection and also for their reputation for performance and customization.  Give me one of these any day over an RX-8

2001-mazda-rx7-6_400x266w.jpg

I liked the RX7 R1/R2's way back when.  That was a pure sports car, but try getting one then or now at a decent price was / is pretty daunting.  The RX8 has two small seats in the back so it's more practical if you ever want to carry some passengers or purchases.  It's too bad the rotary engine was not very fuel efficient and reliable.  It's so common to see 100,000 or less on an engine needing replacement, and the cost to fix one can be around $4000-5000. 

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I liked the RX7 R1/R2's way back when.  That was a pure sports car, but try getting one then or now at a decent price was / is pretty daunting.  The RX8 has two small seats in the back so it's more practical if you ever want to carry some passengers or purchases.  It's too bad the rotary engine was not very fuel efficient and reliable.  It's so common to see 100,000 or less on an engine needing replacement, and the cost to fix one can be around $4000-5000. 

4-5 thousand for an engine?  Not that much nowadays.  Go for it, the RX8 is going to be a collectible!   They are super rare.  I saw one a couple of weeks ago with a paper tag, and was p od that whoever got it was not me.

On 17/08/2017 at 2:09 PM, Rehab1 said:

Let's see..what's 365 days times 4? He has that much time to save before he can even drive. When he begins driving I would prefer him in a pickup truck with only a front seat and no passengers.  

But pickup trucks don't float that well...

8 hours ago, KalSeth said:

Thanks, I did see that one, but it's a bit sketchy.  Even if it's legit, for that asking price you can get a 2009+ R3 instead.  The one I was trying to arrange a test drive they even dropped the price on it.  :rolleyes:  Lower the price instead of letting people with cash on hand test drive it.  Yep makes perfect sense.

I kind of believe in fate.  If it's not meant to be, it's just not meant to.  Thinking more on it, why buy a car that gets bad gas mileage, drinks oil, and is possibly unreliable?  Not the combo you really want in any vehicle.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

why buy a car that gets bad gas mileage, drinks oil, and is possibly unreliable?  Not the combo you really want in any vehicle.

Completely rational statement.  Usually voiced just prior to the purchase of said gas guzzler :P

I do agree that ad seems sketchy as hell but that just means they will negotiate on price.

I would avoid any car that won't allow a test drive.

Archived